The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 October 2018, 08:35 AM   #1
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
***Service advice on this just inherited piece***

Hey everyone, I am looking for advice on where to send this beautiful piece I just inherited today. My uncle passsed away and left it for me. I want to have it serviced and cleaned up so that I can continue to wear and enjoy it. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should go or send it to?

Its really special to me so im looking for someone who will take good care of it. Preferably somewhere in the U.S. Thanks for any help/advice, greatly appreciated.
Old 10 October 2018, 09:18 AM   #2
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Wow that is very nice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 09:25 AM   #3
05carbondrz
Banned

Rik at Timecare Inc. in Florida gets my vote.He is an Independent Watchmaker with a Rolex Parts Account.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 09:56 AM   #4
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
I'm not sure where to send it. I just want to say how happy I am for you to have such a very special piece as it came from a much loved relative.
Old 10 October 2018, 10:38 AM   #5
afaber12
"TRF" Member

Just an opinion, but you may want to go full AD on something that precious. Not to say indies couldn’t do great work, but if something were to go wrong - you’d want it in the hands of those who gave it life...

afaber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:54 PM   #6
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by afaber12 View Post
Just an opinion, but you may want to go full AD on something that precious. Not to say indies couldn’t do great work, but if something were to go wrong - you’d want it in the hands of those who gave it life...

That is very poor advice and exactly what you should not do
Old 10 October 2018, 07:14 PM   #7
zapokee
"TRF" Member

[Just an opinion, but you may want to go full AD on something that precious. Not to say indies couldn’t do great work, but if something were to go wrong - you’d want it in the hands of those who gave it life...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
That is very poor advice and exactly what you should not do
This. Rolex AD will insist on making it new, which would probably involve changing everything, including the dial and hands, and possibly the case.

If you have Houdini's magic wand and you swap out both tips and replace the shaft, is it still that wand?

Contact a sympathetic restorer like LAWW and discuss your options. It's a beautiful piece.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 11:34 AM   #8
DahMan
Banned

I too have heard of time care for older restoration, don’t send to an RSC.
I’m sure members will have some additional restorers. Some like the tottering of an old piece , i prefer an old piece, restored. I imagine you never intend to sell it,
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 05:56 PM   #9
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by afaber12 View Post

Normally, that's great advice. However, I don't think Rolex *will* work on a piece of this vintage.

You may wish to post on the Vintage Rolex forum too. There's huge talent on that forum as well.

Great piece. Good luck whatever you decide.
=M=

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 09:10 PM   #10
roosvelt
Banned

Watch: 16613 serti 18078
Rolex rcs will f up the originality of your vintage !
roosvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 12:51 AM   #11
Patrick361
"TRF" Member

I'm know expert in the matter, if I were to inherit this I would have it serviced and a new crystal that about it. Brushed stainless really isnt supposed to shine like a new diamond. I love the color of the dial fyi. It looks like it was earned and in a classy fashion, like a fit older gentleman with salt and peppered hair...imho
Patrick361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 12:54 AM   #12
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Great watch!!!!! Band is later service replacement. Def use one of the indies as Rolex will decimate this watch.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 03:43 AM   #13
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Appreciate all the responses, I have located a watch maker in Greenwich, CT who has serviced a vintage datejust for my uncle in the past. He does great work and I just left the watch with him.
Old 11 October 2018, 03:57 AM   #14
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Don't believe the hype ... RSCs will indeed service most vintage pieces and will not destroy them, as long as you give very detailed instructions, such as only service the movement, do not polish the case or replace the dial/hands, etc .... Over the decades I've gone the RSC route with no problems on some very nice vintage Rolexes.

That said, nowadays I'd only send to a vintage expert, such Bob Ridley and LAWW, along with Rik and some others that have been recommended on this forum.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 03:25 PM   #15
zapokee
"TRF" Member

:dummy::thumbsdow
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Don't believe the hype ... RSCs will indeed service most vintage pieces and will not destroy them, as long as you give very detailed instructions, such as only service the movement, do not polish the case or replace the dial/hands, etc .... Over the decades I've gone the RSC route with no problems on some very nice vintage Rolexes.

That said, nowadays I'd only send to a vintage expert, such Bob Ridley and LAWW, along with Rik and some others that have been recommended on this forum.
In my experience it depends which RSC you go to. Some have been sympathetic to requests, and others have insisted on doing all work they consider necessary, otherwise they refuse to do the service. Some have accepted vintage pieces, and others haven't. Mileage definitely varies.

The RSC in Tokyo refused to do a movement service on my all-original 1964 gilt 5513 unless I let them change the dial and hands for nice new Luminova ones. They also wouldn't change the battery in my recently serviced Oysterquartz unless I paid 600 bucks for another full service. :-(
Old 11 October 2018, 09:21 PM   #16
zapokee
"TRF" Member

@Swish77
The "dummy and thumbsdow" was supposed to be icons appearing at the end of my message in reference to the RCS service, but for some reason it didn't work; I wasn't calling you a dummy or giving your opinion a thumbs down.
Old 11 October 2018, 10:42 PM   #17
Limestonedan
"TRF" Member

Rik at TimeCare has my vote.

Rik has worked on my older Rolex's which came out great and is currently working on a very old (not a Rolex) watch of mine.

I've recommended my friends to him and all very happy with the results. I've said this before, he knows what to do but perhaps more importantly what not to do especially as it relates to older valuable pieces.

He's trustworthy, skilled, and also a great guy.
Limestonedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 03:06 AM   #18
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
@Swish77
The "dummy and thumbsdow" was supposed to be icons appearing at the end of my message in reference to the RCS service, but for some reason it didn't work; I wasn't calling you a dummy or giving your opinion a thumbs down.
Ha! All good. I am indeed a dummy sometimes!

As for RSCs, yes, the one in NYC once tried to insist on changing hands because of what they claimed was slightly crumbling tritium. Easy to walk away, though, if they want to do something like that. I refused the service, of course.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 04:02 AM   #19
Floorguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Been dealing with Rikki for years! When I lived on Long Island, I shipped my watches to him, now that I live in Florida, I jump in the car and drop it off... what I’m saying is..... send it to Rikki, he’ll take care of it! Give him a call! Good luck!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 12:57 AM   #20
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Love it
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote