The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 May 2019, 08:23 AM   #391
LukeGreg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos View Post
congrats OP on ur new his/hers acquisition

but i am gonna bring up this point again..

in the pics u posted of the before-hot-tub and what appears to be at an AD (post #171), the bracelet already shows reddish hue and doesnt even match its own bezel. (see pic below. because i dont think lotta people clicked on ur link)
Especially compared to the DJ champagne dial next to it (the one with tag)...

was this a BRAND NEW watch u purchased from the AD ? i am just curious.

Yes - BRAND NEW.

As I already stated in the thread.

I cannot wait to see the responses from people when I post the response from Rolex.

I’m hesitant to post more, warranty card, numbers, closer detail photos just in case it has an affect on my watch being fixed.

But how stupid are people going to feel if Rolex don’t fix it due to a bit of chlorine (and provide me with a letter to prove it)
LukeGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 08:33 AM   #392
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
That pic from the post-hot-tub link.

yeah u r prob right

i thought i got it from his google drive, but that only shows the video of the watch before

i guess i noticed the bezel was more yellow gold than the orig pic he posted (below) and prob thought it was the "before" pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FFC1CD69-FC1D-4C2E-8C28-3FE49DBC4EA8.jpeg (64.6 KB, 1947 views)
Old 10 May 2019, 09:22 AM   #393
911NBK
Banned

Watch: A Rolex
Hey OP, I've been thinking, you know if you look at your time piece in a different way you may learn to appreciate and actually love the watch even though it's discolored.

I read once somewhere that a watch isn't just about a man wearing a watch its about a man's relationship with time. No where did I read you ever had intention of selling this watch. So if the watch is a lifer, you may come to appreciate the story attached to the patina, especially when you pass it down.

It's a little philosophical I know, and it doesn't change the fact that we're all dying to know what Rolex responds to this, but maybe ita some consolation.

I nicked my BLNR recently and started a thread about and someone basically told me wear the watch, enjoy it and forget about it. You own the watch the watch doesn't own you.

Congrats on the new purchases! Enjoy them!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
911NBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 01:56 AM   #394
smym18
"TRF" Member

Took me 3+ days but I finally read the whole thread.

Can the title be changed to include "YES I BOUGHT IT BRAND NEW FROM AN AD AND HAVE POSTED MULTIPLE PICS AND VIDEOS TO PROVE IT'S AUTHENTIC" ?
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 02:15 AM   #395
cloudplay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeGreg View Post
Yes - BRAND NEW.

As I already stated in the thread.

I cannot wait to see the responses from people when I post the response from Rolex.
Unless you get Jean-Frederic Dufour to record a Youtube video for you, there'll always be some people who'll declare whatever letter, mail etc you post a fake. Still, I look forward to seeing how this ends.
cloudplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 05:38 AM   #396
luvchnl
"TRF" Member

Maybe try soaking just the bracelet. Take a ceramic bowl, put a piece of aluminum foil at the bottom, put a couple tablespoons of baking soda on top, pour some hot water into the bowl, submerge just the bracelet somehow.. Baking soda and aluminum foil work wonders for removing tarnish off silver jewelry. Maybe it’ll remove the tarnish off the gold. Problem is I don’t know what you can do for the bezel.
Old 11 May 2019, 06:54 AM   #397
MagPI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvchnl View Post
Maybe try soaking just the bracelet. Take a ceramic bowl, put a piece of aluminum foil at the bottom, put a couple tablespoons of baking soda on top, pour some hot water into the bowl, submerge just the bracelet somehow.. Baking soda and aluminum foil work wonders for removing tarnish off silver jewelry. Maybe it’ll remove the tarnish off the gold. Problem is I don’t know what you can do for the bezel.
You want him to do that after he gets the watch back from Rolex?
MagPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 11:51 AM   #398
holdtime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
The amount of ignorance and speculation in this thread is disturbing.

Here is what my insurance company has to say on the subject.
https://info.jewelersmutual.com/the-...-the-right-way
Sorry Genius. CLEARLY We all not as superior as you.
holdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 12:24 PM   #399
FloridaSam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16013
About 30 years ago my neighbor was cleaning his pool wearing his TT DJ. He stuck his hand into a sealed container of granulated chlorine. The exact same thing happened to his Rolex. They restored it good as new but I believe he paid for it.
FloridaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 12:41 PM   #400
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSam View Post
About 30 years ago my neighbor was cleaning his pool wearing his TT DJ. He stuck his hand into a sealed container of granulated chlorine. The exact same thing happened to his Rolex. They restored it good as new but I believe he paid for it.
........and then his hand dropped off!
GreatHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 12:48 PM   #401
FloridaSam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16013
Nope. But he was totally pissed off about it. Chlorine gas is nasty stuff.
FloridaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 01:34 PM   #402
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Fully with you OP - hope the RSC response is positive on fixing it up gratis for you

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 01:52 PM   #403
holdtime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
The fun stuff I have no problem with at all.

Blatantly incorrect information, stated as fact by people too lazy to spend the five minutes it would take to verify it, tends to annoy me.

Telling the guy his watch is fake with no evidence other than “my gut tells me” or “that don’t seem right” contributes nothing, and is likely stressing the poor OP out even further.

And then we have the folks advocating going to the press?
Sorry, but all that is going to get to get you is ridiculed.
Sympathy by 99% of the population for a guys discolored $10,000 watch is going to be nonexistent.

I guess I need some THC and a chill pill to get ease my standards.
It is only a watch Forum.Maybe you will be better of at a NASA Forum
And yes take 2 Chill Pills.
Old 11 May 2019, 02:02 PM   #404
holdtime
Banned

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Welcome to the Internet. Here's the relevant text from the link you provided. This should prove definitive, but dollars to donuts we'll still be getting posts from people questioning either the veracity of the OP's account, or the authenticity of his watch, or general insistence hot-tub tarnishing is impossible because it's never happened to them, or similar nonsense.

Hazards to Avoid
Because of gold jewelry’s high chance of tarnish*, there are a couple specific substances to avoid:

Chlorine – Chlorine, especially at high temperatures like in a hot tub, can permanently damage or discolor your gold jewelry. Remember to remove it when cleaning with chlorine bleach, too!

*While pure gold does not tarnish, almost all gold jewelry is an alloy, as mentioned above. Depending on the percentage of other metals mixed with the gold, there is chance for tarnish. Better safe than sorry!
Recommend NASA Forum for you.
Old 11 May 2019, 02:03 PM   #405
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR
Quote:
Nope. But he was totally pissed off about it. Chlorine gas is nasty stuff.
Yes, I know it is.
Anyway, joking aside, I really hope that the OP gets some closure on this.
Nice to see that you picked up a new “his ‘n’ hers “, LukeGreg, good job!
GreatHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 03:08 PM   #406
SN13
"TRF" Member

On a side note, maybe we can turn YG into Rose using this one weird trick... Rolex hates us.

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
SN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 03:15 PM   #407
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Wait, are we really sure it’s real?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 03:58 PM   #408
Pay M3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Aquaracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterandwatches View Post
Wait, are we really sure it’s real?

Good question, nobody's going to get one over on you! Should change your name to Horatio from CSI Miami.
Pay M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 04:51 PM   #409
harvey
"TRF" Member

My initial thoughts were...couple it be photoshopped?

Old 11 May 2019, 05:57 PM   #410
Rsdecker971
"TRF" Member

Wonderful story and a great thread!

Thank you for sharing Sean!
Rsdecker971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 08:34 PM   #411
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Was your neighbor's watch authentic? Did he buy it at an AD? We don't believe it, post pictures. And if you do, prove that they're not PhotoShopped. Post more videos. We've been wearing our Rolex watches for decades in hot tubs, no problem. Tell him to post his original paperwork too. We still won't believe him because many of us have been around the forums for years and we've seen it all, scammers and fakes. Did he say it's authentic? Where did he buy it? He said it was from an AD?? Well how would we know that, you think we waste time reading threads? I'm no professional chemist, but I do know that gold mixture can't react, everyone knows that. Any chemist that says otherwise, well he's probably a chemistry expert, and we all know that experts are all wrong. No way that it's real, I just went swimming yesterday and no problem.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old 12 May 2019, 01:49 AM   #412
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezler View Post
Was your neighbor's watch authentic? Did he buy it at an AD? We don't believe it, post pictures. And if you do, prove that they're not PhotoShopped. Post more videos. We've been wearing our Rolex watches for decades in hot tubs, no problem. Tell him to post his original paperwork too. We still won't believe him because many of us have been around the forums for years and we've seen it all, scammers and fakes. Did he say it's authentic? Where did he buy it? He said it was from an AD?? Well how would we know that, you think we waste time reading threads? I'm no professional chemist, but I do know that gold mixture can't react, everyone knows that. Any chemist that says otherwise, well he's probably a chemistry expert, and we all know that experts are all wrong. No way that it's real, I just went swimming yesterday and no problem.

And is there security footage of him at the AD purchasing the watch?

That was good.
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 01:59 AM   #413
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:

Paragraph much?

NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 02:03 AM   #414
911NBK
Banned

Watch: A Rolex
Quote:

And there was absolutely zero collusion with Russia.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
911NBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 02:20 AM   #415
holdtime
Banned

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Oh sorry.. my bad
I am Dyslexic .so is DONG With a G. co&&ect?
Old 12 May 2019, 02:36 AM   #416
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Good luck and congrats on the new purchases. Can't believe I just went through the entire thead haha!

Subscribed to see the outcome.

I believe the OP. Regarding the photoshopping comments.... If someone has the time to Photoshop and troll the forum like this they need to get a life.
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 07:04 AM   #417
holdtime
Banned

Quote:
If only a few expert professionals with extensive experience would post their views on this situation, then maybe we could all learn.

Well, on the other hand, maybe not...

Well, some are to Smart and Working on the new space shuttle.and of course know it all . They were born that way.
I want to be like theme when I grow up.

Old 12 May 2019, 07:27 AM   #418
Maiden
"TRF" Member

OP sincerely looking forward to hear what RSC has to say. Both of mine below have been in my chlorine hot tub. No issues. Good luck.

Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 09:29 AM   #419
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

Please do not try to clean this yourself. I believe the gold had a reaction with the chlorine and it has been electroplated. You need to send it back to the Dallas service center for cleaning. The patina can be removed. However, you will not be able to do this yourself. And if you do, it can look uneven and you could miss spots. Plus, because you are losing sleep, send it back to the professionals. I am sure you aren’t the first with this issue.
C. Cavalry
DuchessofWinward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 09:46 AM   #420
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

Dear Luke- I had a horrible mishap with my new watch and was mercilessly ridiculed on this forum for faking it. I PM’d each of the offenders and let them know when I posted pics and/or what I was comfortable sharing. It’s not your problem at all that others have an issue with honesty, or that they can’t believe a story without pics. Frankly, it’s a public forum and posting pics and details to me is a risk. Do what you are comfortable with and don’t mind the trolls.
C. Cavalry
DuchessofWinward is offline   Reply With Quote