The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 2 August 2018, 02:55 AM   #91
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
I always see shaving advice saying never go against the grain.....if I don’t go against the grain I look like I didn’t even shave!

What do you guys do? Those with heavy growth I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First pass is with the grain. 2nd and 3rd is against the grain (below the jaw - I imagine you're referring to this area)
Old 2 August 2018, 03:54 AM   #92
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
I need to go against all over otherwise dark shadow.

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 04:38 AM   #93
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Sandalwood soap from TOBS was part of my kit when I first started out. Loved it!
TOBS Jermyn Street collection is in my Top 5 and has been for a while. I have EVERY product!
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 04:55 AM   #94
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
I'm using that now and am thoroughly enjoying it. Do you have other recommendations?
I have some.

First - the easiest razor I've ever used in my life (including the fake gillette and schick multi blades) is the Merkur 34C.

I also have an Open comb that gets as close as a straight, although my straight technique aint all that yet.
I usually only need 2 passes with the grain even if I haven't shaved for 7-10 days. I NEVER need to go against the grain.

I have a couple of SE razors which are also great shavers.

As to soaps/creams:
Proraso soaps and the new Single Blade line (Azur Lime) are awesome. They also make the C.O. Bigelow cream, which along with the Nivea Blue tube are the best creams out there for me. Blue is tough to find in the states but smallflower.com always seems to have some.

Other faves are Taylor of Old Bond Street TOBS Jermyn St collection.
Saponificio Varesino (I have Stella Alpina, Tundra Arctica, and Manna Di Sicilia)
Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes
Mike's - several
Barrister & Mann - several
too many others to mention

I like to use Badger brushes with creams whether I bowl or face lather and I prefer Boar brushes with soaps.
I have some horse and synth brushes which do well with everything.
I have too many of those too!
Old 2 August 2018, 05:02 AM   #95
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
I have some.

First - the easiest razor I've ever used in my life (including the fake gillette and schick multi blades out now) is the Merkur 34C.

I also have an Open comb that get as close as a straight, although my straight technique aint all that yet.

I have a couple of SE which are also great shavers.

As to soaps/creams:
Proraso soaps and the new Single Blade line (Azur Lime) are awesome. They also make the C.O. Bigelow cream, which along with the Nivea Blue tube are the best creams out there for me. Blue is tough to find in the states but smallflower.com always seems to have some.

Saponificio Varesino (I have Stella Alpina, Tundra Arctica, and Manna Di Sicilia)
Mike's
Barrister & Mann
too many to mention

I like to use Badger brushes with creams whether I bowl or face lather and I prefer Boar brushes with soaps.
Some nice soaps there, but Tier 1 soaps for me are as follows, and must have's if your into wet shaving.

The best soap I've ever used, hands down, is made in France:

Martin de Candre, Original scented and Fougere are considered the best.

Next would be from Scotland, Castle Forbes, Lavender, simply the best shaving cream available on the planet in many opinions, they make a few other flavours as well.

DR Harris, Penhaligon's, also all superb.

Mitchell's Wool Fat, a century old shaving formula from England, the lanonlin in the soap is amazing for your skin, considered one of the best as well.

The Italians also make some of the best soaps in the world, XPEC original for example, and dozens more.

Enjoying the various soaps and creams to shave with is a lot of the fun....the Merkur razor's are excellent, very high quality made in Solingen, Germany, a town with a centuries old legacy in steel (except Sheffield steel is better IMO lol).

As you mention, there are hundreds of superb choices out there, but you have to try Martin de Candre, the only product that comes close is the Castle Forbes, those two are considered the "benchmark" by many, and I agree.

edit: love the Saponificio Varesino, they make some superb soaps, have most of them....stellar performer, going to use that one tonight - thanks!
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 05:19 AM   #96
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Some nice soaps there, but Tier 1 soaps for me are as follows, and must have's if your into wet shaving.

Next would be from Scotland, Castle Forbes, Lavender, simply the best shaving cream available on the planet in many opinions, they make a few other flavours as well.

Mitchell's Wool Fat, a century old shaving formula from England, the lanonlin in the soap is amazing for your skin, considered one of the best as well.

The Italians also make some of the best soaps in the world, XPEC original for example, and dozens more.

Enjoying the various soaps and creams to shave with is a lot of the fun....the Merkur razor's are excellent, very high quality made in Solingen, Germany, a town with a centuries old legacy in steel (except Sheffield steel is better IMO lol).

As you mention, there are hundreds of superb choices out there, but you have to try Martin de Candre, the only product that comes close is the Castle Forbes, those two are considered the "benchmark" by many, and I agree.

edit: love the Saponificio Varesino, they make some superb soaps, have most of them....stellar performer, going to use that one tonight - thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
I have some.

First - the easiest razor I've ever used in my life (including the fake gillette and schick multi blades) is the Merkur 34C.

I also have an Open comb that gets as close as a straight, although my straight technique aint all that yet.
I usually only need 2 passes with the grain even if I haven't shaved for 7-10 days. I NEVER need to go against the grain.

I have a couple of SE razors which are also great shavers.

As to soaps/creams:

Mike's - several
Barrister & Mann - several
too many others to mention

Thanks to both of you!
I have an Edwin Jagger DE razor - as my starter one. Seems to be doing well for now. Regarding soaps and creams - will look into those as my TOBS is running out.
Old 2 August 2018, 05:23 AM   #97
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I need to get me some MdC for sure. I may pick up some Castle & Forbes next.
Another top tier for me is my Penna Crema Nuavia Verde, which I used this past Sunday.
I also have the Czech & Speake 88, which many think is Top Tier, but it's so expensive it just isn't that much better than my other favorites.

For the price, you just can't beat Proraso IMO.
Old 2 August 2018, 05:55 AM   #98
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I pick up a supply of TOBS every February when we go to London for a week, Sandalwood shaving cream, fragrance free after shave, and Eton Collection deodorant spray.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 11:52 AM   #99
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

When I first started off I used a bowl to make my lather. It wasn't working - or I wasn't very good at it. Now I later directly on my face and it works 10x better. Just my experience
Old 2 August 2018, 01:37 PM   #100
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
When I first started off I used a bowl to make my lather. It wasn't working - or I wasn't very good at it. Now I later directly on my face and it works 10x better. Just my experience

I prefer using a bowl but it takes so long! The way I used to do it is start off with just a single drop of water and add as necessary. You can't always use the same number of drops as you may have gotten less or more soap on your brush this time compared to the last time.

When I first started out I would even warm the bowl up prior to using it. Ahhhh warm lather
Old 2 August 2018, 01:50 PM   #101
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
I need to go against all over otherwise dark shadow.

Same here. My facial hair needs to be shaved against the grain everywhere.

I know some guys enjoy using high end shave products or going to a barber. perosnally I order all my shave supplies from Harry's and spend <100 dollars per year
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 01:48 AM   #102
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Any razor burn advise? I don’t get ingrowns just sore and sometimes red in certain areas.

Can’t use scented soaps so any recommendations? Don’t shave isn’t an option

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 02:56 AM   #103
Phrank

Quote:
Any razor burn advise? I don’t get ingrowns just sore and sometimes red in certain areas.

Can’t use scented soaps so any recommendations? Don’t shave isn’t an option

Usually that's a result of too much pressure.

The guideline usually is, "shave the lather, not your beard."

I never get, "burn" using a straight, but since I don't use a DE/SE often, I usually use too much pressure, and end up with razor burn along my neck.

Too much pressure results in random areas that you've shaved too closely, it's the beard, not your skin you're looking to remove, so let the weight of the razor do the work, and aim at just removing the lather. Hope this helps.

Shave the lather, not your beard.....
Old 3 August 2018, 03:51 AM   #104
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
There is a reason that razor blades have evolved..
Yep. Shaving is a chore. Can't get into it as an "experience", the more quickly finished the better. Can't be bothered fussing with soaps, brushes, etc etc. All I ask is for foam, not slimy gel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
I agree with these guys.

I use the Gillette Sensor Excel which is a 2 blade cartridge. I pray they don't ever stop making them, because I am not a fan of the 3+ blade cartridges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
My man, I use the same, for years, I buy them in bulk, bah humbug this retro grouch curmudgeon abhors, despises, detests & loathes shaving!
I'm with you guys. 2 blades is a sensible, happy medium; Closer shave than 1 blade and far more maneuverability than 3-5 (silly). I hoard them too.

Quote:
IUsing a straight razor is also much better for use as opposed to disposables filling up landfills.
Are these landfills in Lilliput? Because if they're not yet they're being filled up by tiny little disposable razor blades then they obviously need a bigger hole or get out of the landfill business altogether.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 03:15 AM   #105
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
Awesome! I'm glad to hear that. I think you will love it as I do.

Now you will soon get into the wide array of soaps and other shaving related stuff.

For those of you that like Creed Aventus, this soap supposedly smells really close to it. It usually gets high reviews.
Quote:
Your world is about to change
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Excellent! I really hope you enjoy it. Watch some vids, play with making some lather with a brush, and go for it! Just remember not to use any pressure, as you're no longer spreading that pressure across multiple blades (e.g., try sleeping on one or two nails vs. a bed of nails. Results will differ). Good luck!
So....I received my Rockwell 6S and all the bits yesterday. I watched a few YouTube tutorials (the Scottish guy on Executive Shaving was great), and had my first shave this morning (taking plenty of time).

I started on number 1, but soon went to 2 and then 3. Does this sound right to you guys?

Also, I was surprised to be advised to use a moisturiser only, and to not use an alcohol based aftershave under any circumstances. Does this sound correct?

Thanks

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 03:37 AM   #106
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
I use an alcohol based aftershave and shave every 2-3 days...

I’ve gone DE shaving and will never go back to the window blind shavers!
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 05:10 AM   #107
Brew
"TRF" Member

I enjoy using alcohol-based aftershaves, especially in the summer. I tend to use balms a little more during the winter.

Use what makes your skin feel good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 10:40 AM   #108
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Back into and having a lot of fun with the variety of soaps and aftershave.

Got Noble Otter Orbit en route now.

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 11:54 AM   #109
Phrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post

Are these landfills in Lilliput? Because if they're not yet they're being filled up by tiny little disposable razor blades then they obviously need a bigger hole or get out of the landfill business altogether.
Lots of landfills, as well as killing wildlife....happy to clear that up for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oystercatcher.jpg (118.6 KB, 32 views)