The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 19 August 2018, 05:21 AM   #1
Hendrikus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them...
UK buyers - London

I spent the day trawling pretty much every AD, grey and jeweller in London today.

As expected, in all but one place there was not much to report. Most places I went in to were more interested in buying my Hulk than trying to sell me anything!

The one exception was David Duggan in Burlington Arcade. He has a few new or newly new Submariners, a Pepsi, a brand new SS Panda Daytona ...

I don’t believe these are listed on his website - no doubt he prefers to save them for the walk-ins.
Old 19 August 2018, 05:32 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

secondary dealers always have everything as they are not priced to move. Love looking at burlington arcade though.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 19 August 2018, 05:49 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
DD doesn't put them in the windows because his prices will scare off punters, not draw them in, opposite of ADs.
Old 19 August 2018, 05:57 AM   #4
mdubya
"TRF" Member

Picked up a BLNR a few days ago from a London AD - got lucky given the stock situation there as I just about got laughed out of everywhere else. I found Harrods had by far the best selection - plenty of two tone sports as well as PM sports and DDs. Didn’t like the vibe in there though and got pretty rude service when inquiring about SS sports
Old 19 August 2018, 05:57 AM   #5
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
David Duggan , Is a nice guy but tourist prices , I enjoy talking with him he has been around for ever and is very knowledgeable
Old 19 August 2018, 06:12 AM   #6
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Seems a lot of AD's in London do not hold much rare stock. My City-based guy tells me most pieces are sold within days of being in the window, so you have to be extremely lucky to get the watch you want, at the recommended retail price.
Old 19 August 2018, 06:57 AM   #7
Rogrmo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
David Duggan , Is a nice guy but tourist prices , I enjoy talking with him he has been around for ever and is very knowledgeable
We’re is the best place regarding price to buy a second hand Rolex?
Old 19 August 2018, 07:36 AM   #8
emkwan
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116710 BLNR
Did they mention the prices for the Hulk?
Old 19 August 2018, 07:54 AM   #9
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogrmo View Post
We’re is the best place regarding price to buy a second hand Rolex?
Depending on what you’re looking for I have connections in Hatton Garden away from the high-rent West End
Old 19 August 2018, 08:56 PM   #10
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Superlative View Post
Seems a lot of AD's in London do not hold much rare stock. My City-based guy tells me most pieces are sold within days of being in the window, so you have to be extremely lucky to get the watch you want, at the recommended retail price.
if they even make the window its rare. Its like a parallel AD market where there are regular customer watches and established customer watches and the different stock categories never crosses that line.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 19 August 2018, 10:14 PM   #11
Bearwithme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Picked up a BLNR a few days ago from a London AD - got lucky given the stock situation there as I just about got laughed out of everywhere else. I found Harrods had by far the best selection - plenty of two tone sports as well as PM sports and DDs. Didn’t like the vibe in there though and got pretty rude service when inquiring about SS sports
“Got lucky”
You really sound like you did mate, you in London often/know the AD or just happened to get one walking in?
Old 19 August 2018, 10:32 PM   #12
randomguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex OMEGA
Most years I return to UK to visit family and friends (early Sept.), and I always enjoy dropping in at the arcade estate dealers, among others. Unfortunately, our Canadian $ does not go very far.

On the flip side, the best estate dealer paying out for ROLEX watches has to be Rankins Jewellers in Bethnal Green. They never disappoint.
Old 19 August 2018, 10:36 PM   #13
mdubya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwithme View Post
“Got lucky”
You really sound like you did mate, you in London often/know the AD or just happened to get one walking in?
No, first time in the AD. Was buying a TT lady datejust and asked for a sub as a combo purchase but got offered the BLNR instead as they had just received a shipment. Lucky timing and I think the salesperson was feeling generous that day as well, lol. Originally I was told no, but after a long conversation about many different topics I was told “maybe they could do something for me tomorrow and to stop by then”. Obviously the combo deal of TT dj helped my prospects but I asked many other dealers about the prospect of getting a sub if I bought a dj and was turned down.
Old 19 August 2018, 11:46 PM   #14
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

The problem is illustrated on this thread. London has literally millions of visitors ; many don't pay tax, and that makes things cheap, especially with weak sterling. So they scoop up everything going. Way too much demand and way too little stock.
Old 20 August 2018, 12:37 AM   #15
Bearwithme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
The problem is illustrated on this thread. London has literally millions of visitors ; many don't pay tax, and that makes things cheap, especially with weak sterling. So they scoop up everything going. Way too much demand and way too little stock.
Well I guess that’s the trouble with living somewhere so great, also likely that some of the fault lies with the way central London ADs choose to operate, to a certain extent it seems strange to me that anyone coming internationally would be offered the chance to buy a “in demand” piece like that, not because of anything other than my own experience trying to get a BLNR or waitlist position for one being a local.

Not been looking for long but have looked and called/walked in extensively - I’ve been told countless times, “2 years, 5 years, 30 people waitlist” (yawn) Doing the math sometimes is brilliant, one (pretty major) central AD told me they only get 2-3 a year and have a 30 person waitlist - while he’s talking to me I’m thinking “wow so you operate a ten year waitlist, cool story bro”

WOS in regent street told me it would be impossible to even be added to a list right as it was too long/closed and that was as I was buying my GF a pretty expensive piece in their store. Another couple of AD’s wouldn’t take the bait on my asking to have a waitlist position even if “establishing a relationship” by buying a TT DJ!

Now, I’m thinking that maybe it’s easier for them to sell the pieces internationally, after all you leave that day and they lose both your sales, and if they do go grey it’s not two roads down in the arcade ;)

it’s possible they are counting on the fact that a local will eventually break and buy something else if they keep getting told no, whereas someone on holiday is going home and that potential sale is going with them... who knows for sure?

Most likely though it’s probably me - although at this point I’m starting to think WTF

Must try harder !
Old 20 August 2018, 12:39 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguy View Post
Most years I return to UK to visit family and friends (early Sept.), and I always enjoy dropping in at the arcade estate dealers, among others. Unfortunately, our Canadian $ does not go very far.

On the flip side, the best estate dealer paying out for ROLEX watches has to be Rankins Jewellers in Bethnal Green. They never disappoint.
Bethnal Green, knife and moped crime thru the roof, and Rolex doesn't sound like paradise city. I haven't been in years, Trotters always had more stuff.
Old 20 August 2018, 12:53 AM   #17
randomguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex OMEGA
Okay, so its east London. Certainly might not want to be there at 1:00 am wearing a TT Rolex at a local, but during the day its a busy hub like any other community.

Rankins' buyers like Rolex, so its a great place to trade one in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Bethnal Green, knife and moped crime thru the roof, and Rolex doesn't sound like paradise city. I haven't been in years, Trotters always had more stuff.
Old 20 August 2018, 01:52 AM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
to a certain extent it seems strange to me that anyone coming internationally would be offered the chance to buy a “in demand” piece like that, not because of anything other than my own experience trying to get a BLNR or waitlist position for one being a local.
there are plenty of people who live here (especially London) who are not based in GBP. So even if we pay VAT (which i do) its still considerably cheaper than the US if you are paying in dollars. So im more likely to buy in the UK.

BLRO including VAT is a little over $8500 in the UK. In the US including sales tax its like $10k
Old 20 August 2018, 01:58 AM   #19
normalboywatches
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Talk about scare mongering. Are you a hermit who lives in your basement? Completley detached from reality; your knowledge of east London sounds like it’s purely through the media. Where do you live? I bet it’s no where near Bethnal Green.

Don’t walk around the area at midnight flashing your cash which is just common sense for anywhere. It’s certainly not Holland Park Thant’s for sure, but all other times it’s perfectly safe.

Try leaving your house before making stupid statements.

Last edited by normalboywatches; 20 August 2018 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 20 August 2018, 02:04 AM   #20
Bearwithme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
there are plenty of people who live here who are not based in GBP. So even if we pay VAT (which i do) its still considerably cheaper than the US if you are paying in dollars. So im more likely to buy in the UK.

BLRO including VAT is a little over $8500. In the US including sales tax its like $10k
No, that’s cool and more power to you and anyone else for being able to do that. It’s more annoying to be told “wait list xx years, preference for local and loyal customers” and hear at the same time this kind of “easy” (relatively) pickup from someone visiting, that’s the only thing that sticks.

No questions or malice intended towards anyone visiting here and getting one or using the current exchange rates in their favour,, I’d do the same myself given a chance and hopefully at some point, (looking at our situation with the European Union it will be a long time coming) we will have the same kind of advantages over other markets - everything (barring disaster) runs in cycles.

More making the point about the AD situation/stories never being consistent. Like I said could be me more than anything else :)

Old 20 August 2018, 02:46 AM   #21
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, that’s cool and more power to you and anyone else for being able to do that. It’s more annoying to be told “wait list xx years, preference for local and loyal customers” and hear at the same time this kind of “easy” (relatively) pickup from someone visiting, that’s the only thing that sticks.

No questions or malice intended towards anyone visiting here and getting one or using the current exchange rates in their favour,, I’d do the same myself given a chance and hopefully at some point, (looking at our situation with the European Union it will be a long time coming) we will have the same kind of advantages over other markets - everything (barring disaster) runs in cycles.

More making the point about the AD situation/stories never being consistent. Like I said could be me more than anything else :)

London AD's are generally the worst minus a couple so its pretty consistent in that regard
Old 20 August 2018, 03:00 AM   #22
Bearwithme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
London AD's are generally the worst minus a couple so its pretty consistent in that regard
Old 20 August 2018, 04:43 AM   #23
Burlington
"TRF" Member

It is quite a special situation in London given the concentration of affluence as well noted. I’m sure it’s also played out in other big cities though such as NYC etc.

I’m surprised that a BLNR was available to a ‘walk in’ even when combined with a DJ.

My expectation is any coming in would have been pre allocated to an established customer. So actually good in that respect.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 20 August 2018, 05:24 AM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by normalboywatches View Post
Talk about scare mongering. Are you a hermit who lives in your basement? Completley detached from reality; your knowledge of east London sounds like it’s purely through the media. Where do you live? I bet it’s no where near Bethnal Green.

Don’t walk around the area at midnight flashing your cash which is just common sense for anywhere. It’s certainly not Holland Park Thant’s for sure, but all other times it’s perfectly safe.

Try leaving your house before making stupid statements.
I was joking so calm down, dear, no need to be so sensitive, but my statement was perfectly true. BG sure ain't no paradise, it wasn't a few years ago and sure as sh1t ain't now.

I was just commenting on the juxtaposition that Rolex is now going more upmarket and attracting more VIPs and yet we are talking about buying in BG and East London.
Old 21 August 2018, 01:14 AM   #25
Shakini
"TRF" Member

Watch: TBB (red), YMR
WoS in Bank(London) have a black face Milgauss, Rhodium YM, a white Exp2 and a YM2 in the window today. They also have a rhodium DJ41 with a flute bezel - looks awesome.
Old 21 August 2018, 03:31 AM   #26
Donnyal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakini View Post
WoS in Bank(London) have a black face Milgauss, Rhodium YM, a white Exp2 and a YM2 in the window today. They also have a rhodium DJ41 with a flute bezel - looks awesome.
Hello mate is it on oyster or jubilee??
Closed Thread