The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 24 July 2018, 02:11 AM   #1
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
Any suggestion on where/how/if to get this fixed?

Hello everyone! Sadly, my Grandfather passed away a short time ago. He was not a watch enthusiast by TRF standards. However, he was very proud of his one watch and always had it attached to his wrist. In fact, it was my Grandfather that started my passion in horology and watch collecting.

I found out that he left me his watch. I am both touched and honored that he remembered me in this way. Unfortunately, the watch is not in working condition. I thought it might be a battery issue, but replacing the battery didn’t fix the problem.

Obviously, the watch has little to no monetary value. That said, due to it’s relationship to my Grandfather’s life, I would like to get it running again if at all possible. I can picture it with a new suede or leather strap. And wear it from time to time in his honor.

So, my question to all of you is how (if at all) can it be brought back to good working condition? Obviously, I don’t want to put a ton of money into it. But perhaps there’s a middle ground?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 03:15 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Could be a component of the circuitry, or just need a cleaning to ensure the connections are secure and the mechanical transition parts are sound and oiled.

Bulova is now owned by Citizen and the old Accutron movements are electronic marvels with a different approach to repair than the skilled mechanical watchmaker may possess.
Old 24 July 2018, 11:10 AM   #3
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Could be a component of the circuitry, or just need a cleaning to ensure the connections are secure and the mechanical transition parts are sound and oiled.

Bulova is now owned by Citizen and the old Accutron movements are electronic marvels with a different approach to repair than the skilled mechanical watchmaker may possess.

Thanks for your insight. Do you think working back through Citizen would be the way to go? I've also been able to source another exact piece on eBay. Supposedly in good working order. Do you think the 'guts' can be taken out of the working watch and placed into my grandfathers?

Most importantly....anyone can feel free to tell me to just give up the mission if you think it simply just isn't going to be worth it.

Old 24 July 2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Frank80
"TRF" Member

Watch: u talkin' bout
I had my grandfather's 70's era Omega seamaster quartz repaired as a gift for my dad on father's day. My grandpa wore it every day swimming at the pool in his condominium complex. With a pull out crown, as you can imagine, there was some water damage. The dial was spotted but decent, and the hands virtually pristine. My watch maker had to replace the movement with a working engine from Omega. I'm not sure if it was NOS or from a donor. Glass was replaced and case left untouched. My father never wore a watch before from what I recall, but every time we go out to dinner I see him rockin' it. I won't say the service was cheap, but it was worth it to me.
Frank80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 03:29 PM   #5
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 36!
IM sent
KarlTheToyotaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 07:24 PM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Those are pretty difficult and the watchmaker needs to really know what he is doing.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 07:52 PM   #7
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2008 Submariner
that is the ACCUTRON movement. you have to get someone who knows how to work on that movement that is very important. read up on the accutron movement. no regular watch maker will do. i have a 1973 Accutron. what is the letter and number on the back of the watch? if not the back, on the movement?
N5XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2018, 12:06 AM   #8
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
By coincidence, I'm wearing an Accutron 218 today. As others have posted, they are tricky to work on with some extremely delicate and sensitive parts. You do need someone with expertise, but to them I think it would be a routine job.
I bought this watch (and another similar) from an ebay vendor in Bulgaria "anticvarius". I do not know if he also services them for third parties, but he generally has a selection for sale, and he seems to have done a good job on both of the ones he sold me including re-phasing them to work with modern batteries - the original mercury batteries have long since been banned and had different characteristics.
The only other option I know of, is in the UK - http://electric-watches.co.uk/service-and-repair/

They may be an historical oddity, but work extremely well, and I think worth keeping going.

Edit - I think citizen won't want to know - they produce Bulova watches called "accutrons" but it's only the name they have (mis?)used.
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2018, 01:02 AM   #9
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5XTC View Post
that is the ACCUTRON movement. you have to get someone who knows how to work on that movement that is very important. read up on the accutron movement. no regular watch maker will do. i have a 1973 Accutron. what is the letter and number on the back of the watch? if not the back, on the movement?

Here is a picture of the back

Old 25 July 2018, 01:13 AM   #10
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
That's an early Accutron - 214 movement.

Date code is for 1969.
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2018, 02:40 AM   #11
caigy
"TRF" Member

Look up oldfathertime dot com in North Carolina. Similar to you, I had inherited a Bulova Accutron (my father's 1971 model), and I sent it to him for repair. It was expensive- more than the watch was worth- but worth it to me for sentimental value. He did a really good job and it runs fine now. Battery lasts about a year- I've changed it twice since repair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971-Accutron--web-size.jpg (239.9 KB, 174 views)
caigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2018, 02:29 PM   #12
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Have worked on hundreds of 214 and 218 accutrons and have hundreds of parts in stock sent it on down Rik
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote