The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 July 2018, 07:08 PM   #1
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

anyone into wet shaving?

For those that might not know, wet shaving is how it was done in the past, with a safety razor or a straight edge. For me it's one of those "why have I not done this before" things. In general, wet shaving provides less irritations, provides a much cleaner shave, and prevents ingrown hairs.

Using a proper shaving cream or soap takes a bit longer to lather, but it's far better for your skin than aerosol cans of foam. There's also a huge amount of artisan soap companies like Stirling Soap or old favorites like Taylor of Old Bond Street.

Going from a Mach 3 to a Rockwell 6S was quite an eye opener. In just the first week there was less irritations and my skin was healthier. The up front costs for a good razor, brush, and soap or cream is more, but over all you save on expensive cartridges that don't really work as well and have more irritation. It does take a bit longer to shave in the morning, but it helps me to slow down and focus. I actually look forward to shaving now.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 07:39 PM   #2
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Yes. I´ve been using a Merkur 38C for years with Musgo Real shaving cream and Feather FH-10 blades.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 08:13 PM   #3
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Interesting I might try it

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 08:22 PM   #4
Brew
"TRF" Member

I shave with a straight razor each morning.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 08:28 PM   #5
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
I shall look into this.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 08:40 PM   #6
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
There is a reason that razor blades have evolved and the use of a safety razor or straight razor, while nostalgic, is a time consuming process. Not to mention the possibility for cuts and other issues. I got on board with the safety razor a few years ago and had my barber give me the tutorial and I watched a lot of videos on YouTube. In the end, I looked like I had been in a fight with barbwire and it only got slightly better with practice. Time consuming and painful. I agree with the better pre-shave oils and creams as opposed to the can stuff but the modern razors are expensive for a lot of reasons but they are, hands down in my opinion, better than the safety razor or straight razor for daily, at home use. Or you can do what I have done and grow a beard.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 08:47 PM   #7
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
I shall look into this.
Me too, heading over to youtube now......
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 09:13 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I can’t imagine ... I cut myself regularly using mach3’s
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 09:13 PM   #9
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Me too, heading over to youtube now......
You can also check out r/wicked_edge on Reddit as well. There really is a huge following for people into this. I'm already getting sucked into the wide assortment of artisan soaps.

For those that might not care for the safety razor aspect, you can still get a good soap/cream and use a nice badger brush in conjunction with a typical cartridge razor. It does help lift the hair and makes for a more pleasant shave.
Old 30 July 2018, 09:17 PM   #10
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I was a bit apprehensive at first, but I actually cut myself more with a Mach 3 than a safety razor. You never apply pressure, just let the blade do the work. The Rockwell 6S I have is adjustable, so you can set it to a really mild shave if you like. The first time I shaved I had it set to R2 and it felt like I was just rubbing a smooth steel bar on my face.
Old 30 July 2018, 09:18 PM   #11
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
For those that might not know, wet shaving is how it was done in the past, with a safety razor or a straight edge. For me it's one of those "why have I not done this before" things. In general, wet shaving provides less irritations, provides a much cleaner shave, and prevents ingrown hairs.

Using a proper shaving cream or soap takes a bit longer to lather, but it's far better for your skin than aerosol cans of foam. There's also a huge amount of artisan soap companies like Stirling Soap or old favorites like Taylor of Old Bond Street.

Going from a Mach 3 to a Rockwell 6S was quite an eye opener. In just the first week there was less irritations and my skin was healthier. The up front costs for a good razor, brush, and soap or cream is more, but over all you save on expensive cartridges that don't really work as well and have more irritation. It does take a bit longer to shave in the morning, but it helps me to slow down and focus. I actually look forward to shaving now.
I used to get a barber straight-razor shave a couple of times a week when I lived in BKK many years ago. The head and shoulder massage at the end was the best part. I think it was about 20 baht in those days.
Old 30 July 2018, 09:34 PM   #12
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Not me. I get a nice, BBS shave with the Mach3. I do use a Simpsons Chubby 1 Super Badger brush, Proraso green line...pre-shave cream, cream and splash

I don’t have time, nor the patience to use a safety razor. I tried one out, but it’s not for me.
Old 30 July 2018, 09:36 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I was a bit apprehensive at first, but I actually cut myself more with a Mach 3 than a safety razor. You never apply pressure, just let the blade do the work. The Rockwell 6S I have is adjustable, so you can set it to a really mild shave if you like. The first time I shaved I had it set to R2 and it felt like I was just rubbing a smooth steel bar on my face.
I will need to take baby steps ... maybe I'll try at my barber. I've always heard it's a very relaxing experience

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 09:38 PM   #14
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Shaving is the bane of my life, thick dark stubble within minutes after shaving! A daily chore which hurts no matter what I try as I also have sensitive skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 09:51 PM   #15
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I tried using a safety razor, but went back to my Mach 3 Turbo after a few times. It's just easier and faster for me.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 09:59 PM   #16
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I have used an electric shaver since I was about 18 yrs old.
There is nothing enjoyable about shaving and I really don't care that the electric shaver does not provide as close a shave as a manual razor, and nor does my wife.
I would grow a permanent beard if the only alternative was a daily wet shave.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 10:30 PM   #17
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
I tried using a safety razor, but went back to my Mach 3 Turbo after a few times. It's just easier and faster for me.

I find the Mach 3 drags/sticks on my skin for some reason, I use Wilkinson Sword Hydro 3 or Schick in USA I think it’s called.

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 10:30 PM   #18
xspect
"TRF" Member

I used all kinds. Double edge, single edge and straight (cut throat).

I prefer a straight edge at night when I have time. I usually use a double edge in the morning when Im in a hurry.

For the people that said the always cut themselves. Its usually a bad technique, wrong blade or wrong razor for them.

I shave with a wade and butcher 7/8 spike full wedge. Is this a good razor ? Heck yes. Will it leave me baby bottom smooth? Yup.
Does it look bad ass ? Yup. If your just getting into shaving should you get one to buy once, cry once on the cost ? Well that depends if your medical
Insurance is paid up.

My point there are razors for different skill levels. You just have to find your skill point and start from there. I personally like the old Gillette’s fat boys double edge. You can dial how close the shave to be.

xspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 10:51 PM   #19
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
I tried it all, but the good ol' Bic razor and Barbasol shave cream is still the best. Perfect shave every time.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 10:53 PM   #20
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Yessir! Got into it about 6 months ago after having had a "small" beard for about 2 years. I absolutely love it! Every 2 days I take about 10-15 minutes for my morning shave, it's become a ritual!

I use the Astra platinum blades. And the Taylor of Old bond street cream.

Baby Face FTW!

P.S. I always found it interesting how my grandfather moved away from a DE razor as soon as newer ones came around, and now I'm going back to the old-school style
Old 30 July 2018, 11:05 PM   #21
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
I don’t have time, nor the patience to use a safety razor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
There is nothing enjoyable about shaving
I agree with these guys.

I use the Gillette Sensor Excel which is a 2 blade cartridge. I pray they don't ever stop making them, because I am not a fan of the 3+ blade cartridges.
.brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 11:38 PM   #22
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
I agree with these guys.

I use the Gillette Sensor Excel which is a 2 blade cartridge. I pray they don't ever stop making them, because I am not a fan of the 3+ blade cartridges.
My man, I use the same, for years, I buy them in bulk, bah humbug this retro grouch curmudgeon abhors, despises, detests & loathes shaving!
Old 30 July 2018, 11:42 PM   #23
bgolfo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
For those into wetshaving I use this daily...
Custom Wolfman .74 with polsilver
Declaration B5 Jefferson brush
B&M soap with aftershave
bgolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 11:55 PM   #24
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

My Dad used to say that shaving was a man's daily punishment for his sins!!!! I have a collection of straight razors but don't have the courage to try them. The best way to get a really close shave is to wash your face thoroughly before shaving, it softens the whiskers.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 11:56 PM   #25
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

DE razor user here.

Kent brush.
Gillette ‘Fatboy’ razor.
Proraso shaving products.
Very rarely get any nicks or cuts. It’s all about proper prep and technique.
For those just starting out, it may be a good idea to keep a styptic pencil on hand.

I’ve been doing for at least 25 years. Here’s a link to a great forum with tons of information on techniques and products. https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/
Old 30 July 2018, 11:58 PM   #26
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
You can also check out r/wicked_edge on Reddit as well. There really is a huge following for people into this. I'm already getting sucked into the wide assortment of artisan soaps.

For those that might not care for the safety razor aspect, you can still get a good soap/cream and use a nice badger brush in conjunction with a typical cartridge razor. It does help lift the hair and makes for a more pleasant shave.
I tried the safety razor but after a few nicks I went back to the mach3 cartridge razor. I use Taylor of Old Bond Street and a badger brush though. Sandalwood is my favorite. I haven’t used aerosol can shave cream in years.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 12:28 AM   #27
RazorD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
What he said....
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 12:34 AM   #28
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
A man among boys...
Old 31 July 2018, 12:44 AM   #29
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
A man among boys...
Nah. We all could use one, if we're willing to take some time to learn and perfect a skill, rather than rely on technology.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 12:46 AM   #30
Phrank

Watch: ♕
I've loved traditional shaving for a long time, restore old vintage straight razors, love the old Gillette DE razors, but especially love using the old soaps, some recipes that have been around for over 100 years. Using a good soap, as opposed to the horrible canned goo, is so much better for your skin. Using a straight razor is also much better for use as opposed to disposables filling up landfills.

For me, it became somewhat about reclaiming my life from a series of "tasks" to transforming it into "experiences".

Oh, and you think buying too many watches is bad, buying too many razors, brushes, soaps is another wormhole.

Also, saw this video, thought the guy was going to shave with the butcher knife on the kitchen wall, turned out the guy was a master with a razor, and it just made me want to learn, and it was is a lot of fun to master something new. Check it out:

The Manliest Shave:

I start or end my day with a relaxing shave, using a beautiful badger brush, a soap usually made from a recipe decades or 100 years old, and enjoy the clean shave.

Here's one of my shaves, with a 175 year old Wade & Butcher, "The Celebrated Hollow Ground Razor, For Barber's Use", and a superb badger brush....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOTD-WBFBUPCVERDWLM0170523.jpg (57.5 KB, 331 views)
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote