The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 August 2018, 12:30 AM   #1
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Crazy Rich Asians

Fun flick. Saw it last night with a group of friends. Wifey loved it as did I and the rest of our group.

As you might imagine there are a few recognizable watches too.

I believe there was a 6263, definitely a Richard Mille, a forum favorite in what I think was a Hublot and a few more.

A little bit of eye candy for car guys and gals too. We all thought Aquafina stole the show.

You definitely don’t have to be Asian to enjoy this film but it will be extra special if you are. Recommended.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 12:36 AM   #2
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

My boss (Chinese) was talking to me about it the other day. I had never heard of the book/movie, which is strange because I’m usually on top of what’s buzzing at the moment. I guess I’ve just been out of the loop.

I watched the trailer and it seems like a fun movie. I’ll definitely check it out.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 12:38 AM   #3
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
My wife is now reading the book, says its a good book. Don't think we will see the movie.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 12:41 AM   #4
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
I believe the 6263 belongs to a renowned collector. Eric Ku. Great looking watch. It's on his instagram.
Old 17 August 2018, 12:41 AM   #5
lig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
My boss (Chinese) was talking to me about it the other day. I had never heard of the book/movie, which is strange because I’m usually on top of what’s buzzing at the moment. I guess I’ve just been out of the loop.

I watched the trailer and it seems like a fun movie.
It was indeed a good time. What did your boss think? Not to get all serious but it’s been something like 25 years since there was a predominantly Asian cast in a Hollywood movie and the last one - “Joy Luck Club” was full of really terrible depictions of Asian men. This was *waaay* better.

We are figuring out timing for a Shanghai trip for the food alone.
Old 17 August 2018, 12:49 AM   #6
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I didn't see the movie yet but saw the cast:

RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 12:50 AM   #7
lig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
My wife is now reading the book, says its a good book. Don't think we will see the movie.
Wifey is ordering the book trilogy today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker View Post
I believe the 6263 belongs to a renowned collector. Eric Ku. Great looking watch. It's on his instagram.
Couldn’t ask for a better consultant. None of my friends are into watches so they asked me about why I had a visceral reaction to the Daytona scene.

As fate would have it I was wearing a super casual setup PAM111 on a snow camp strap.

Would have been super douchy to rhapsodize over a Daytona over post movie drinks while wearing one.
Old 17 August 2018, 12:52 AM   #8
lig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I didn't see the movie yet but saw the cast:

That must have been fun! Ken Jeong was hilarious as always.
Old 17 August 2018, 01:01 AM   #9
MinMay
Banned

cool...gonna see it Saturday...
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 01:03 AM   #10
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Never heard of it. Will take a look.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 01:03 AM   #11
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by lig View Post
That must have been fun! Ken Jeong was hilarious as always.
It really was, he had the entire room smiling. I missed out on the screening but everyone had good things to say after.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 01:38 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Crap I thought it was a comedy. Now when my wife drags me to see in I have to see a romcom lol
Old 17 August 2018, 07:20 AM   #13
Star Ferry
Banned

I think I already lived out this plot
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 08:01 AM   #14
Arzel
"TRF" Member

Singaporeans love spending their money, lol
Arzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 10:57 AM   #15
sunnyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: me watch you
We saw it last night as well (wife read all 3 books). I'd have to say, it would be nice if my wife gifted me a 6263 one day.
sunnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 11:41 AM   #16
lig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
cool...gonna see it Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
Never heard of it. Will take a look.
It was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
It really was, he had the entire room smiling. I missed out on the screening but everyone had good things to say after.
Wifey already wants to go again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Crap I thought it was a comedy. Now when my wife drags me to see in I have to see a romcom lol
Sorry, brother! You’ll get good husband points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I think I already lived out this plot
I like the way you roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arzel View Post
Singaporeans love spending their money, lol
Hehe... gotta keep the lifestyle going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyd View Post
We saw it last night as well (wife read all 3 books). I'd have to say, it would be nice if my wife gifted me a 6263 one day.
Most definitely!!!
Old 17 August 2018, 01:26 PM   #17
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
My wife is of Chinese decent and really wants to see the film. I do as well. She read the book and loved it. Another movie I really want to see is 11/9.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 08:33 PM   #18
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
I enjoyed the book.

My wife's going to the movie tonight with friends. I'll catch it whe it comes to iTunes.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 09:59 PM   #19
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol. It was sold to me as a comedy as well. Somehow my weekend has turned into a Jason Mraz concert tonight and that movie tomorrow. Man card is in jeopardy.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 11:27 PM   #20
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
I saw a trailer for this movie last night and it didn’t give a single clue as to what this movie is about. Just a flash of people I don’t recognize in places I didn’t recognize, absolutely no dialog whatsoever. It provided zero information and left me feeling annoyed with no desire whatsoever to see this movie.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 12:23 AM   #21
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Lol. It was sold to me as a comedy as well. Somehow my weekend has turned into a Jason Mraz concert tonight and that movie tomorrow. Man card is in jeopardy.
I’ve been under the weather all week so tentative plans are a movie tonight. Wife is Korean. Chances of her not picking this movie slim to none.

Rooting for mission impossible myself. Tom cruise is crazy as cat but the man makes good movies
Old 18 August 2018, 01:08 AM   #22
lig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
Just a flash of people I don’t recognize in places I didn’t recognize, absolutely no dialog whatsoever. It provided zero information and left me feeling annoyed with no desire whatsoever to see this movie.
This is a good way to illustrate that Asians have been woefully underrepresented on screen. A movie like this is something many of us have been waiting for.

Lead characters that looks like us.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...810-story.html

Since it is a rom-com it isn’t going to be everyone’s cup of tea but beyond beyond a fun escapist flick it also has importance beyond the entertainment value. And honestly it’ll be good business.

I think I read that it cost roughly 30mil to make. I’d be surprised if it doesn’t gross that on the first weekend.
Old 18 August 2018, 01:14 AM   #23
lig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
My wife is of Chinese decent and really wants to see the film. I do as well. She read the book and loved it. Another movie I really want to see is 11/9.
Mission Impossible is next for us. We gave up on movies in theaters until the advent of the luxury reserved seating style every seat is good theaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
I enjoyed the book.

My wife's going to the movie tonight with friends. I'll catch it whe it comes to iTunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Lol... that is a lot of sensitivity for one weekend.
Quote:
I’ve been under the weather all week so tentative plans are a movie tonight. Wife is Korean. Chances of her not picking this movie slim to none.

Rooting for mission impossible myself. Tom cruise is crazy as cat but the man makes good movies
How anyone can be a member of that cult is beyond me but he does make some really fun movies!
Old 18 August 2018, 01:54 AM   #24
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lig View Post
This is a good way to illustrate that Asians have been woefully underrepresented on screen. A movie like this is something many of us have been waiting for.

Lead characters that looks like us.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...810-story.html

Since it is a rom-com it isn’t going to be everyone’s cup of tea but beyond beyond a fun escapist flick it also has importance beyond the entertainment value. And honestly it’ll be good business.

I think I read that it cost roughly 30mil to make. I’d be surprised if it doesn’t gross that on the first weekend.
I have no problem with anything you said, my problem was that the trailer didn't give any clue as to what this movie is about. If this was an attempt to promote the movie and gain a larger audience, and I can't imagine why any movie trailer wouldn't attempt to do this, it was really poorly done.

Quote:
Adapted from Kwan's 2013 international bestseller, "Crazy Rich Asians," which opens nationwide on Wednesday, is a big budget romantic comedy about Rachel Chu ("Fresh Off the Boat" star Constance Wu), a Chinese American New York economics professor who travels to Singapore with her boyfriend, Nick Young (newcomer Henry Golding), for a wedding, and to meet his family for the first time.

There she discovers her beau's clan is one of the wealthiest in Asia, with their own unique peculiarities and prejudices — and goes head to head with his tradition-minded mother (screen legend Michelle Yeoh).

It's charming, glossy and gorgeously shot, set across Singapore and Malaysia, with an ensemble of beautiful actors, stunning locations and colorful characters — a vibrant return to form for the classic Hollywood romance.
See, this gives me an idea of what to expect from the movie and actually makes me want to see it. The trailer I saw last night accomplished none of this.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 01:56 AM   #25
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:

100% you will see it tonight. Filipino wife here. No getting out of it.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 02:39 AM   #26
lig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
I have no problem with anything you said, my problem was that the trailer didn't give any clue as to what this movie is about. If this was an attempt to promote the movie and gain a larger audience, and I can't imagine why any movie trailer wouldn't attempt to do this, it was really poorly done.

See, this gives me an idea of what to expect from the movie and actually makes me want to see it. The trailer I saw last night accomplished none of this.
Makes sense to me. The trailer was ineffective to you. Totally understandable. I haven’t seen any of the trailers for the movie so I have no clue.

It was the “people I don’t recognize in places I don’t recognize “ thing that struck me as something entirely different.
Old 18 August 2018, 02:53 AM   #27
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:

And he's from Syracuse. Just a stones throw from Bill's town.
BTW, how good are the Bills this year?
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 03:08 AM   #28
Keadog
"TRF" Member

My daughter saw it last night and loved it. Book was funny. We'll see it at some point.
Keadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 03:10 AM   #29
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
So much buzz.

Recent Talk show mentioned first time an american movie had all Asian cast in 25 years. (Since joy luck club I believe)
Old 18 August 2018, 03:13 AM   #30
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
I'm actually interested in seeing it. Grew up in Irvine where my neighbors where Asian college kids who's parents lived in Singapore bought them a $1.5m+ house so they could go to UCI and they drove an M3, GTR, Mclaren and R8.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote