The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 August 2018, 04:25 PM   #61
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Surely you can't be serious!
I wish I wasn't but afraid it's true.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 09:38 PM   #62
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonovox View Post
There is a BMW dealership near here that clearly has a policy similar to this stupidity. Whenever you test drive a car, regardless of if it's on a busy Saturday or the first 30 minutes of a Tuesday morning when there is not another customer in sight, when you step back into the dealership to chat with the sales rep, another rep will immediately walk over and say, "I need the keys to that car you just drove. I have an interested buyer." It's all very dramatic, very obvious, and stupid as is this statement from this AD. As you say, they say stupid stuff.

I will say in the US, the pond looks dry for our local AD's until further notice. Certainly appears to be the case in the mile high city.
I would get up and walk out. This happened to us at a boat dealer. I told them "I don't want to get in the way of another man's purchase." and I walked out. They chased us all the way to the car while we laughed.
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 09:48 PM   #63
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Because they are human, none of us are immune from stupidity at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 10:55 PM   #64
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Not a big deal in the slightest.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 11:43 PM   #65
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
So what happens if you go back in 2 weeks to purchase and there aren't any more DJs, with no new shipments expected until after the Swiss Christmas holiday season manufacturing shut-down is over?

Admit it. That would be friggin' hilarious. Just imagine the look on your face.

Imagine the look on the ADs face when they have zero inventory to sell until Q2 next year !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 11:50 PM   #66
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Salesmen gonna salesmen.

It's like this in all industries; it's called playing the customer and they all do it in all hobbies/goods/luxuries.
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 11:53 PM   #67
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

They are trying to make a sale. I get it. I've seen a range of knowledge when it comes to watches, in general though they know more than the customer because average customers don't know a lot about Rolex to begin with.

I never get into fact checking with a salesperson. If they tell me something I know is not true, I just politely nod. If we do get to talking, I always ask a few harmless questions to let them know I know a thing or two about the brand without coming off like a know-it-all. I'll usually ask if they have whatever the newest hot model for the year is and lament that no one can get their hands on it when they tell me "no." If I am looking at a piece and seriously considering buying it, I might quote the exact MSRP as question. "That's about x amount of dollars, right?"

Most of the time that conveys that I know something about the brand without throwing around rumors or making the staff feel like I am trying to educate them. Sometimes even just looking in the case and calling watches by their name, "Can I see the Yachtmaster?" as opposed to "Can I see the shiny one?" lets people know you know what's up.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 12:00 AM   #68
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
It always makes me feel uneasy with any type of desperate sales techniques when I'm spending a notable amount of money ... the BMW and Boat tales above, are the other side of that very same coin in my opinion .... stupid games simply result in me taking my business elsewhere.
DP63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 12:06 AM   #69
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

I will add;

A Rolex AD salesman is not an 'expert' in all things Rolex especially the minutiae of the hobby

Just like a person in the military is not an expert on firearms

Nor is a policeman an expert on all laws

Etc

You will hear 'stupid' things from people who are supposed to be an authority on something, when in reality they are not.
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 12:47 AM   #70
R G
Banned

Why Do ADs Say Stupid Stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexinfl View Post
I will add;

A Rolex AD salesman is not an 'expert' in all things Rolex especially the minutiae of the hobby

Just like a person in the military is not an expert on firearms

Nor is a policeman an expert on all laws

Etc

You will hear 'stupid' things from people who are supposed to be an authority on something, when in reality they are not.

That’s absolutely right.

So, if you’re not an expert, don’t pretend, as it will be abundantly obvious to someone that is far more knowledgable.

All the AD staff need to be is courteous and friendly. Many are just absolute sleaze and act as if they know, when clearly, they don’t.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 02:04 AM   #71
LuxWatch
"TRF" Member

Telling the customer that you don't stock what they want because all their other customers want bling bezel bling MOP dial all gold all the time??? Good thing there are other ADs out there.
LuxWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 02:07 AM   #72
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
why is this stupid?

I dont get it.

It is actually very potentially true.

What did the sales person do wrong?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 02:17 AM   #73
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Not surprised by this and honestly can't blame them either given the current state of supply.

I stopped by the Tourneau in SF a few months ago just to kill a few minutes. Asked to try on a Bluesy (it's been on my list for years, but there are just too many other watches I want to buy first). As I was examining it the AD went on and on with her sales pitch -- the centerlinks are solid gold, this is the most popular Rolex model they sell, she could put it aside for an hour at most to let me think about it, good chance it wouldn't be there later today, not sure when they'll get the next one, etc. I smiled and politely nodded at everything she said to me.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 06:19 AM   #74
R G
Banned

Why Do ADs Say Stupid Stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
why is this stupid?

I dont get it.

It is actually very potentially true.

What did the sales person do wrong?

Once you’ve stopped playing devils advocate, take a long think about what’s been said. Just think about it.

Now, please explain why their case is going to be empty the following week if the guy doesn’t buy anything today, and how are Rolex not going to provide any infantry at all until 2019?

Thanks
Old 21 August 2018, 06:36 AM   #75
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
Once you’ve stopped playing devils advocate, take a long think about what’s been said. Just think about it.

Now, please explain why their case is going to be empty the following week if the guy doesn’t buy anything today, and how are Rolex not going to provide any infantry at all until 2019?

Thanks

The sales guy uses a line that alludes to the fact, that an already half empty case, will likely not have the watch he wants in a week, and that Rolex will likely not ship anything else for a while.

I need to explain this to you?

This is the theme of half the threads on this forum. And yes, DJ's too are getting harder and harder to get.

I see barren walls and empty slots at every AD I go and visit. And every single one of them sings the same sad song. Minimal stock. Reduced shipments.

I see absolutely nothing at all wrong with the sales guy trying to sell a watch and making a statement of pure fact. With an already half empty case as evidence. And yes, I am curious as to why anyone would have a problem with this.

and you are welcome....

Old 21 August 2018, 06:54 AM   #76
R G
Banned

Quote:
The sales guy uses a line that alludes to the fact, that an already half empty case, will likely not have the watch he wants in a week, and that Rolex will likely not ship anything else for a while.

This is the theme of half the threads on this forum. And yes, DJ's too are getting harder and harder to get.

I see barren walls and empty slots at every AD I go and visit. And every single one of them sings the same sad song. Minimal stock. Reduced shipments.

I see absolutely nothing at all wrong with the sales guy trying to sell a watch and making a statement of pure fact. With an already half empty case as evidence. And yes, I am curious as to why anyone would have a problem with this.

and you are welcome....

Thanks for the laugh.

All the best.
Old 21 August 2018, 07:01 AM   #77
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for the laugh.

All the best.

Old 21 August 2018, 07:05 AM   #78
Will1979
"TRF" Member

Quote:

and you are welcome....

To be fair, only the OP was there, but I think you’re being a little too charitable in your assumptions. The salesman’s statement according to the OP was "You better buy it today, that case is going to be empty next week.” Perhaps that was the salesman’s first day. Perhaps it was hyperbole. Perhaps it was a joke. Perhaps exaggeration. But it just as easily could have been an outright lie — a statement he made intending it to be heard as truth but that the salesman knew to be false. Again, maybe you’re correct that the salesman knew for a fact that the entire case would be empty in a week’s time, but I’d be willing to bet that the case full of DJs hadn’t changed a bit a week later, and I’d bet that the salesman knew it wouldn’t.
Will1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 07:19 AM   #79
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Supply dried up last year at this time with no deliveries until after January. A steel blue dial. It will move fast. Do not be surprised if no more watches are delivered this year. Nothing is stupid in this crazy market.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 07:19 AM   #80
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will1979 View Post
To be fair, only the OP was there, but I think you’re being a little too charitable in your assumptions. The salesman’s statement according to the OP was "You better buy it today, that case is going to be empty next week.” Perhaps that was the salesman’s first day. Perhaps it was hyperbole. Perhaps it was a joke. Perhaps exaggeration. But it just as easily could have been an outright lie — a statement he made intending it to be heard as truth but that the salesman knew to be false. Again, maybe you’re correct that the salesman knew for a fact that the entire case would be empty in a week’s time, but I’d be willing to bet that the case full of DJs hadn’t changed a bit a week later, and I’d bet that the salesman knew it wouldn’t.
OK. Of course no one knows. Can't state what will happen in the future as a fact.

But the OP stated he found a watch he liked.

The sales guy, stated something like it might not be here in a week.

Maybe I am being charitable. Maybe.

Again, can't state that something in the future is a fact. But can we really argue the point that it is not unreasonable that the watch, and many others, might not be there in a week? And that future deliveries are unknown.

Is this really something we are debating?

I must be in the twilight zone.

Old 21 August 2018, 07:40 AM   #81
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OK. Of course no one knows. Can't state what will happen in the future as a fact.

But the OP stated he found a watch he liked.

The sales guy, stated something like it might not be here in a week.

Maybe I am being charitable. Maybe.

Again, can't state that something in the future is a fact. But can we really argue the point that it is not unreasonable that the watch, and many others, might not be there in a week? And that future deliveries are unknown.

Is this really something we are debating?

I must be in the twilight zone.
I think the larger issue is that if you see something you like in a display case, get it now at MSRP. There really aren't any special deals to be had (from ADs at least) with the current state of Rolex.

While I do think the salesperson was using hyperbole, in fairness to Seth's point; stainless steel professional models are not readily available and even if an AD is stocked with Datejusts, there are so many variations that if you see something you like you should snatch it up. An AD might have 5 stainless steel Datejusts in inventory, but maybe only one is a blue dial, fluted bezel, on Jubilee.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 07:48 AM   #82
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
I visited a couple ADs today, looking to try on a blue dial DJ41 with oyster bracelet. I need up trying on a fluted DJ with oyster and black diamond dial. It looked surprisingly good and understated.

However, I thought it was unnecessary for the salesman to say to me, as he pointed to a half full DJ case, "You better buy it today, that case is going to be empty next week and Rolex isn't going to send us any more until next year.
Are you kidding me? A diamond dial DJ is just going to fly off the shelf? He probably thought you were a newbie. These are some of the hardest to sell since most men are not going to pay a $2k premium for a couple of diamonds on the dial.

I agree that a blue dial DJ will probably not sit there for very long especially if fluted.
Old 21 August 2018, 08:13 AM   #83
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
most men are not going to pay a $2k premium for a couple of diamonds on the dial.
True, but this guy would have.

Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 08:31 AM   #84
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
No more stupid than many of the posts on forum lately.
This is one of the wisest posts on the forum! Totally agree.

To add.....visited a hand full of London AD’s over the last week or so. Didn’t expect a decent selection of stock, which was the case.

3 of the AD’s I walked into had very young SA’s in and around the rolex counter. I was told “wow you’re wearing a Batman. You must have been so lucky to get it”.....didn’t realise I could posses a action hero on my wrist.

Rolex....sad state of affairs lol

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 08:48 AM   #85
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
I visited a couple ADs today, looking to try on a blue dial DJ41 with oyster bracelet. I need up trying on a fluted DJ with oyster and black diamond dial. It looked surprisingly good and understated.

However, I thought it was unnecessary for the salesman to say to me, as he pointed to a half full DJ case, "You better buy it today, that case is going to be empty next week and Rolex isn't going to send us any more until next year.
Desperate times-desperate measures.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 09:10 AM   #86
op90no2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now... how are Rolex not going to provide any infantry at all until 2019?
Infantry. Hmmm.
op90no2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 09:15 AM   #87
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
I wish I wasn't but afraid it's true.
I cant believe there are 85 replies on this thread based on the original post where a salesman told a customer to buy an item that someone else might buy?

As for Rolex replacing that particular model at that AD in the near future.....fat chance IMO.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 10:52 AM   #88
RaceDoc11
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs
I have a better one, local AD told me that SkyD "normally goes to those who has a purchase history with them" same AD sold my friend a black Daytona last week with no purchase history and been on the list for only 4 months.
RaceDoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 11:20 AM   #89
Vanmarsenille
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
So what happens if you go back in 2 weeks to purchase and there aren't any more DJs, with no new shipments expected until after the Swiss Christmas holiday season manufacturing shut-down is over?

Admit it. That would be friggin' hilarious. Just imagine the look on your face.
Not as friggin' hilarious as the look on the salesman's face when the OP goes back in 2 weeks and the case looks exactly the same as it did 2 weeks before.
Vanmarsenille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 11:49 AM   #90
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
No more stupid than many of the posts on forum lately.

Mic drop. ^^^^fact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote