The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 August 2018, 05:46 AM   #1
schwoo
"TRF" Member

Bourbon 🥃 sources

Was hoping that someone here on the forum Might have a source for pappy Van-winkle bourbon.

I can find some,,,, but prices are outrageous! I’m interested in the 10, 12, 15, 20 and of course 23 year

I know that this is a Rolex forum, but you guys are probably the only ones that can afford it . Any leads would be greatly appreciated ....

Thanks so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 05:49 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwoo View Post
Was hoping that someone here on the forum Might have a source for pappy Van-winkle bourbon.

I can find some,,,, but prices are outrageous! I’m interested in the 10, 12, 15, 20 and of course 23 year

I know that this is a Rolex forum, but you guys are probably the only ones that can afford it . Any leads would be greatly appreciated ....

Thanks so much

i doubt it. but that said ignoring other brands for pappy is well....

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 06:53 AM   #3
schwoo
"TRF" Member

Etschell- why such a unhelpful, unfriendly post? With 10,600 post you are clearly experienced at this game. Why are you assuming I’m only collecting Pappy? I have quite a collection but Pappy is by far the hardest to source. And what are you inferring by “well”. I can take it say what you want. I don’t understand why you even responded. It was neither friendly or helpful.

Old 20 August 2018, 07:31 AM   #4
hugs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
Quote:
Etschell- why such a unhelpful, unfriendly post? With 10,600 post you are clearly experienced at this game. Why are you assuming I’m only collecting Pappy? I have quite a collection but Pappy is by far the hardest to source. And what are you inferring by “well”. I can take it say what you want. I don’t understand why you even responded. It was neither friendly or helpful.

Sadly that’s how this forum seems to go these days.

I think people on here have a game, who can be the most offensive, while remaining within the forum rules.

It also seems, the more polite you are, the more aggressive the replies you will get. I thought about trying to open with rude posts to see if people are polite back but what’s the point. Plenty of friendly forums out there to spend time on.

Sorry I can’t help with your OP question.
Old 20 August 2018, 07:39 AM   #5
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
i doubt it. but that said ignoring other brands for pappy is well....

So true.... it's the BLRO of bourbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 07:40 AM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Unfortunately if anyone has a source to get pappy below market value they are probably keeping it for themselves or giving it to close friends. There are however some bourbon drinkers here maybe they have ideas.
Old 20 August 2018, 07:58 AM   #7
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Unfortunately if anyone has a source to get pappy below market value they are probably keeping it for themselves or giving it to close friends. There are however some bourbon drinkers here maybe they have ideas.
Exactly!! I have some, but newly acquired will go to my best customers who are big bourbon fans.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 08:00 AM   #8
One Ping Only
"TRF" Member

Watch: several
Your only hope is to be a good customer of a busy liquor store that gets an allocation. And they like you.

Due to the current popularity of bourbon in general, there’s not enough to go around.

As stated, if I knew of a good source I’d buy it for myself before sharing it on th internet.
Old 20 August 2018, 08:04 AM   #9
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

I recently aquired these, but paid a serious premium for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (88.0 KB, 173 views)
Old 20 August 2018, 09:03 AM   #10
schwoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post

Fantastic! Im wiling to pay a premium but $3500 for 20 yo seems high. You have a great collection! Envious!

Old 20 August 2018, 09:14 AM   #11
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Ping Only View Post
Your only hope is to be a good customer of a busy liquor store that gets an allocation. And they like you.

Due to the current popularity of bourbon in general, there’s not enough to go around.

As stated, if I knew of a good source I’d buy it for myself before sharing it on th internet.
Exactly this!
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 09:15 AM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:

my response was i doubt it. and as of right now i am correct. not sure why that burned you.

there are whiskey trading forums on the internet. but short of working directly for the company you will not find any it at msrp. now if you are inferring as to where you can buy it at a premium there are plenty of places.

in terms of your disdain for my response from someone with 10,600 plus posts ive seen far worse from those with more or less posts. that said i will refrain from responding to you in the future. last thing i am trying to do is get caught up in an argument about whiskey on a watch forum. let alone post counts.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 09:15 AM   #13
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Can I come to your next party?
Old 20 August 2018, 09:38 AM   #14
austinp
"TRF" Member

If you're able to figure it out, please let me know. Good luck.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 09:51 AM   #15
Flyinghunter
"TRF" Member

I saw a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO and unbelievably within the trunk...it was hiding all of the Rolex SS Professional models, Pappy brown water, and Jimmy Hoffa.

Perhaps it was my thorough enjoyment of the Oban 14 in my hand encouraging my creative writing?
Flyinghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 10:40 AM   #16
SomeEngineer
"TRF" Member

OP, the responses here are about standard because pretty much everyone is looking for these and has been since the great bourbon explosion around 2010.

In rolex terms, its pretty much like asking someone to get you a SS daytona for MSRP. Its just not going to happen unless you are besties with a serious collector or a dealer/restauranteur.

A couple years ago there were restaurants willing to guarantee you a yearly allotment for an investment in their restaurants but I've since heard that BT and distributors are cracking down hard on any new pappy accounts for just this reason.

However, if you can find a struggling restaurant/bar that currently has pappy, why not just go in and offer to buy them out at a premium. I was telling Chad the other day that the way i had my pappy 20/23 experience was when a heavily frequented spot in kentucky was closing up shop. They were putting out all stuff they had saved over the years so I offered to buy them out. They wouldnt let me take the bottles but would sell them to me provided i drank them in the bar before they closed. Lets just say that my team was very happy to help me polish them off and so was the guy that drove the shuttle to/from the hotel...

That being said, I 100% dont see the hype in the rye and the 10. The 20/23 are definitely great product but there are a couple readily available bourbons that, IMHO, are just as good.

Hudson baby bourbon is my pick and recommendation to everyone I meet for the best kept secret in bourbon today. Its about $60 for a 750ml and everyone I have had try it has been blown away.

The stuff from Willett is becoming more well known and in some areas its getting to be a pain in the ass to find but Noahs Mill is on par with pappy 7 days of the week in my book.
SomeEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 10:48 AM   #17
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeEngineer View Post
OP, the responses here are about standard because pretty much everyone is looking for these and has been since the great bourbon explosion around 2010.

In rolex terms, its pretty much like asking someone to get you a SS daytona for MSRP. Its just not going to happen unless you are besties with a serious collector or a dealer/restauranteur.

A couple years ago there were restaurants willing to guarantee you a yearly allotment for an investment in their restaurants but I've since heard that BT and distributors are cracking down hard on any new pappy accounts for just this reason.

However, if you can find a struggling restaurant/bar that currently has pappy, why not just go in and offer to buy them out at a premium. I was telling Chad the other day that the way i had my pappy 20/23 experience was when a heavily frequented spot in kentucky was closing up shop. They were putting out all stuff they had saved over the years so I offered to buy them out. They wouldnt let me take the bottles but would sell them to me provided i drank them in the bar before they closed. Lets just say that my team was very happy to help me polish them off and so was the guy that drove the shuttle to/from the hotel...

That being said, I 100% dont see the hype in the rye and the 10. The 20/23 are definitely great product but there are a couple readily available bourbons that, IMHO, are just as good.

Hudson baby bourbon is my pick and recommendation to everyone I meet for the best kept secret in bourbon today. Its about $60 for a 750ml and everyone I have had try it has been blown away.

The stuff from Willett is becoming more well known and in some areas its getting to be a pain in the ass to find but Noahs Mill is on par with pappy 7 days of the week in my book.
Another SC bourbon guy. Glad you got to meet Chad!
Old 20 August 2018, 10:59 AM   #18
schwoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Excellent post. Thanks for the explanation

Old 20 August 2018, 11:08 AM   #19
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RDPM View Post
Can I come to your next party?
Cmon Dr Scott, you're always welcome at my parties! Im just glad you survived the last one!

Old 20 August 2018, 11:33 AM   #20
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Cmon Dr Scott, you're always welcome at my parties! Im just glad you survived the last one!

Always great to hang with you!
I’ve never driven a F car. I can bring some bourbon but prefer Pinot when with you!
Old 20 August 2018, 11:38 AM   #21
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

And I need another trip to Napa!
I'll explain via text in the next few days!
Old 20 August 2018, 11:47 AM   #22
thedak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Unfortunately if anyone has a source to get pappy below market value they are probably keeping it for themselves or giving it to close friends.
Yes.

Ain't worth flipping the only couple bottles I get my hands on every year.

I do sell off any 10yr ORVW I get though.

Stuff is Weller 107 in a different bottle....
thedak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 12:14 PM   #23
wantonebad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Ping Only View Post

That worked a few years ago, these days liquor stores sell the highly allocated bourbon on the secondary market also, regardless of laws or consequences.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 12:29 PM   #24
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

I have also enjoyed Hudson Baby Bourbon. And I'm lucky enough to have a good friend who got Pappy 23 at a charity auction for $1,000. It's the ultimate in smooth. I get tired of chasing stuff, though, so have stopped looking for the Pappy shipments.
Old 20 August 2018, 12:51 PM   #25
SomeEngineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I get tired of chasing stuff, though, so have stopped looking for the Pappy shipments.
I feel you 100% on this. At one point it was fun to hunt and track down stuff and go to releases, but it just gets so overblown that its not about enjoyment or meeting new people or making friends, most of the new people that have gotten into it are just about having something rare or valuable or flipping it.

Its the same thing that happened with sneakers in the early 2000's. At a certain point the mindshift switches to getting something that others cant have. At that point theres nothing in it for me to enjoy. I'm not about being better or richer or more connected than others, thats not fun or cool IMHO.

For me its about enjoying something special with others that appreciate it. Its a treat to interact with real eccentrics that I wouldnt normally get to run into.
SomeEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 01:18 PM   #26
schwoo
"TRF" Member

I used to find bourbon 🥃 on the master of malt website. Unfortunately, they stopped shipping to the U.S.

It’s a shame, they have some great stuff fairly priced.

Seems we’re all looking.

Old 20 August 2018, 01:26 PM   #27
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I was recommended the Noah's Mill by a Bartender of a place close to us and gave it a try. Nearly gone and I do like it quite a bit. My only issue is that it's a bit punchy for my taste at 57% if I recall correctly. If you like that, it's excellent and even though I prefer those closer to 50%, I still really enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 04:57 PM   #28
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
O' My! Looks like you are ready for some fun! 🤣

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 06:46 PM   #29
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
I scored a bottle about 2 years ago. I basically ordered it from the ABC store in my town. In Virginia we have state ran liquor stores and I was on a “list” basically and was called that they had a bottle for me. I paid RRP for mine as the ABC store cannot charge over retail. I don’t drink it but my dad enjoyed it
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 01:21 AM   #30
Rocketman39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,Hulk,GMTII
Just joking around with the Clerks at the local ABC in Palm Bay, fl. They turned me on to
W.L. Weller the # 2 Bourbon in the world. Never tasted Pappy of course, but Buffalo Trace and Weller made by the same folks are both Excellent. The clerks advice is get it if you see any of it, it won't last Long !
Rocketman39 is offline   Reply With Quote