The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 August 2018, 10:54 AM   #1
direwolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Comfort/thickness new DBLUE

I was wondering if anyone has the SD43 and the new version of the DBLUE. If so, how do they compare in terms of wearability. Wondering about weight and perceived thickness. I know the DBLUE is considerably thicker, but I remember some people saying, at least with the older version, that the case back sunk into the wrist better than the SD4K. Is that still the case with new version? Hope my question makes sense.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 11:42 AM   #2
Goodwill63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 122613
The new 126660 wears substantially better than the older model. More balanced and easier on the wrist. Proportions are spot on if you have a decent size wrist, no worries. It really becomes an issue of perception more than comfort. Wears very well.
Goodwill63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 11:53 AM   #3
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Here you go:

SD43 and 2018 DSSD Comparison
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 08:55 PM   #4
roosvelt
Banned

Watch: 16613 serti 18078
In the real world their going to feel the same on your arm. Go with the best engineered dive watch made the DS!
roosvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 09:51 PM   #5
direwolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Appreciate the feedback.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 11:13 PM   #6
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Definitely want to try one on before purchasing. I could do the size no problem, and the weight seems better distributed with the wider bracelet. However the thickness is still the issue. Yes Rolex does a nice job hiding some of the thickness in the protruding case back, but make no mistake, this is a very thick watch. It didn't get the "tuna can" nickname by accident. The SD43 is a much more wearable thickness in my opinion and for me anyway it's as thick as I'm willing to go. The DSSD is an amazing watch no doubt, but just too much watch for me.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 11:16 PM   #7
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosvelt View Post
In the real world their going to feel the same on your arm. Go with the best engineered dive watch made the DS!
No, they don't

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 11:20 PM   #8
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwill63 View Post
The new 126660 wears substantially better than the older model. More balanced and easier on the wrist. Proportions are spot on if you have a decent size wrist, no worries. It really becomes an issue of perception more than comfort. Wears very well.
x2. Both are very comfortable but for me the D-Blue even more so despite the thicker case. Very well balanced. It may have to do with the slightly bigger case and caseback.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 11:32 PM   #9
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I was wondering if anyone has the SD43 and the new version of the DBLUE. If so, how do they compare in terms of wearability. Wondering about weight and perceived thickness. I know the DBLUE is considerably thicker, but I remember some people saying, at least with the older version, that the case back sunk into the wrist better than the SD4K. Is that still the case with new version? Hope my question makes sense.
I've worn the SD43 for almost a year now, and recently tried the new Deepsea. The difference in thickness is perceptible to me. Sized for my wrist the weight difference is appx 25g so noticeable, but not significantly so.

I'd say that the SD43 wears smaller than the numbers would suggest, whereas the DS wears a little larger.

As far as the case back is concerned, it will depend on your wrist shape. The protruding part of the case back is smaller in diameter on the SD43. The SD's is larger. Because I have a very flat, slim wrist, the SD43 case back sits nicely in the hollow between the ulna and radius bones, so the watch sits almost flush on my arm despite the case back depth. It also keeps the watch head from moving and nicely centered, whilst being extremely comfortable.

The wider case back of the DS does not fit in this same hollow, and is therefore less comfortable and the whole watch heads sits higher off my wrist.

If your wrist is more round or fatter, the SD may well be more comfortable. Ultimately, we're all different shapes and sizes and the only way to know what works best is to try both for yourself

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 12:37 AM   #10
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
I wear my DSSD as a weekend watch. My wrist is 6.5". You have to get used to DSSD if you never had a big watch. I have no problem with DSSD once get used to it(after 2 days). In fact it's my favorite watch. I like it's presents on the wrist, it's uniqueness and masculine look. I'm occasional diver and can relate this watch to me.
It's bit heavier and higher, but that what it makes this watch unique not to mentioned many other unique characteristics of this watch.
Both watches are great. Try them first for not to regret later.
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 01:10 AM   #11
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
For some reason these threads move towards people advocating for their prior purchase, and this thread already is no exception.

This guy has both, https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=Dssd and his comparison is worth looking at. I don’t have taptalk so I don’t know if it was already linked above.

My DSSD 126660 was bought as a weekender and immediately became my daily.
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 01:55 AM   #12
T01
"TRF" Member

From what I've seen the new DSSD is far friendly from a wear-ability standpoint compared to the original.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 05:19 AM   #13
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Comfort and thickness of two watches always = why I bought mine = why it's better = why that one sucks.

Best I can say is good luck. With these two watches highly unlikely to be available in one place, and many here who haven't owned and liked both, you won't get a straight answer as your wrist is also different than everyone else's.

The Deepsea is bigger and heavier, period. The wearability is subjective, but by logic the SD43 may be the better wearer, it's lighter, smaller, and slightly better balanced. The Deepsea isn't too far off the mark, being 1mm larger and 3mm thicker with similar proportions. The difference is probably only a day away from just wearing one and getting used to it. Just like going from wearing a DJ36/41 in stainless steel and the next day throwing on a Platona. It's a slight adjustment.

Every incremental change can be more comfortable, fact. SD43 may be slightly more comfortable than a Deepsea, a Submariner more comfortable than SD43 and a DJ more comfortable than the Sub....an Apple watch probably tops them all, while wearing nothing will yield the best results.
I happily wear a Deepsea as a daily. Zero issues or regrets, but would look forward to putting on a Daytona as well.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 05:26 AM   #14
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

My brother just bought one yesterday so I'll get to have some first hand thoughts on it as I have owned an original DSSD. Very curious about the new bracelet, it might get me back in the game for a new black one...
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 05:47 AM   #15
lenfried29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
My brother just bought one yesterday so I'll get to have some first hand thoughts on it as I have owned an original DSSD. Very curious about the new bracelet, it might get me back in the game for a new black one...
Please post comparison between 116660 vs. 126660. I don't think there's much of a difference in wear-ability given it's only 1mm in bracelet width.
Old 21 August 2018, 06:14 AM   #16
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenfried29 View Post
Please post comparison between 116660 vs. 126660. I don't think there's much of a difference in wear-ability given it's only 1mm in bracelet width.
I can't comment effectively on the SD43 vs D-Blue. But I have owned the 116660 for a few years and remember how it wears. The new one is different and more comfortable. They did something to the lugs which changed the fit as well. The amount of links I used in the older vs the new 126660 is different as well. The 1mm makes a difference in this context, is it drastic enough to trade an older one, not for me. Now when you also add the new movement, and revised aesthetics, then the new one is definitely an improvement.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 06:21 AM   #17
lenfried29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I can't comment effectively on the SD43 vs D-Blue. But I have owned the 116660 for a few years and remember how it wears. The new one is different and more comfortable. They did something to the lugs which changed the fit as well. The amount of links I used in the older vs the new 126660 is different as well. The 1mm makes a difference in this context, is it drastic enough to trade an older one, not for me. Now when you also add the new movement, and revised aesthetics, then the new one is definitely an improvement.
Thanks for your response
What do you think in terms of 116660 is very first DSSD model (2008) and will be treated that way in the future of holding the value of this watch?
Old 29 August 2018, 08:02 AM   #18
R!$
Banned

depends how fat your wrist is. This watch tends to be very top heavy and large surface area
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote