The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 February 2020, 04:18 AM   #1
SCutshall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
DateJust Opinions Sought...

Having just purchased my first Rolex about a month ago, an OP 36mm, which hasn't left my wrist since the day I received it -- love, love, LOVE it, I am thinking about adding a 36mm smooth bezel DateJust (it truly is a damn sickness, this watch stuff).

My questions:

1. I have it down to either black or silver dials... any issues with the silver dial in terms of legibility?

2. Thoughts on whether to get either the black or silver dial on an Oyster Bracelet or Jubilee? Is the Jubilee comfortable? Does the Jubilee make the overall look and feel too dressy... I never wear suits and am very much an outdoors person but I do think the Jubilee is lovely in photos.

3. If I go the route of Jubilee, can I elect to have my choice on it coming with the "hidden clasp" (sorry, don't know the proper term) or Oysterclasp? Unless I am mistaken it seems in looking around the Net I am seeing both clasp styles when I see a DateJust on a Jubilee.

Thanks for reading...

-Scott
SCutshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 04:22 AM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Went through the same thought process white or black dial in a 36mm SS DJ. Both are beautiful. The silver is very legible and makes the watch look bigger than the black dial. The black dial is matte on the new model so I went with that. Either is perfect.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 04:26 AM   #3
SCutshall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Went through the same thought process white or black dial in a 36mm SS DJ. Both are beautiful. The silver is very legible and makes the watch look bigger than the black dial. The black dial is matte on the new model so I went with that. Either is perfect.
Thank you for replying.

Any thoughts on the bracelet... which did you select on your black dial?

Also, am I correct when I say -- the white dial 36mm DJ only comes with Roman numerals, is that accurate?
Old 16 February 2020, 04:33 AM   #4
Notepad12
"TRF" Member

These are my two datejusts.... I love them both.

The black dial is amazing and the white dial is class.

Both easy to read the time on.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Notepad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 05:08 AM   #5
skyblue12
"TRF" Member

Hello. I found the silver dial hard to read, it looks nice but l couldn't get on with it and went blue. Which can look almost blackish. If you need the oyster clasp you'll need a 116234 on the oyster bracelet. The current 126234 has it on my types of bracelet. I have both in blue.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
skyblue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 05:09 AM   #6
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCutshall View Post
Thank you for replying.

Any thoughts on the bracelet... which did you select on your black dial?

Also, am I correct when I say -- the white dial 36mm DJ only comes with Roman numerals, is that accurate?
Very Strange but i believe true that a white dial is not available on a new DJ36, (2019) however it is on a 41. Oops I just checked their website, I was wrong, sorry.. It looks good!!...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 05:10 AM   #7
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234

I love mine with the rhodium dial and jubilee

Wear it daily, and it hasn’t seen a suit yet haha
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 05:12 AM   #8
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I love the RG/SS with this model
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z107093-rose-gold-rolex-datejust-116231---105989.jpg (86.8 KB, 876 views)
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 05:16 AM   #9
SCutshall
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all the replies...

@schoolboy on your DJ with the Jubilee that is in your photo, do you know what Rolex calls that clasp -- what their official name for it is?
Old 16 February 2020, 05:22 AM   #10
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Personally, I’d go flutted (just is special looking) and I hear the jubilee is the most comfortable SS bracelet out there. Also looks really sharp. I personally don’t love silver or silver so I’d go black flutted jubilee. Of course, everyone has different tastes.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 06:08 AM   #11
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:

@schoolboy on your DJ with the Jubilee that is in your photo, do you know what Rolex calls that clasp -- what their official name for it is?

It’s called a hidden clasp I think

And the bracelet is called the super jubilee bracelet

The jubilee with the roll oyster style clasp is called “jubilee” as opposed to “super jubilee”

Old 16 February 2020, 06:10 AM   #12
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:

Also, the super jubilee was discontinued last March when Rolex introduced the new Datejust models.

But you might be able to find a Datejust with the super jubilee that still hasn’t sold from an AD

But eventually they will be gone from ADs as the new model takes over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 February 2020, 06:34 AM   #13
SCutshall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Also, the super jubilee was discontinued last March when Rolex introduced the new Datejust models.

But you might be able to find a Datejust with the super jubilee that still hasn’t sold from an AD

But eventually they will be gone from ADs as the new model takes over

Good to know, thank you.
How do you like the hidden clasp on the Super Jubilee... does it wear comfortably? Is it different, feel-wise or comfort-wise, to the Jubilee with the OysterClasp (if you've worn one)?
Old 16 February 2020, 06:48 AM   #14
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

The claspless Super jubilee used to be limited to just the gold models. Its advantage is how it looks. The revised Jubilee has a hidden extension link and the three micro adjustment in the clasp itself. So you can size the band more precisely.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 06:56 AM   #15
jerseyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Since you already have the oyster bracelet on your OP. Take a take a look at the jubilee on the DJ. I'm looking to add a DJ as well. I love the endlinks on the updated jubilee bracelet, but the hidden clasp on the older 116200 is much better than the clasp IMO. Tough to decide. What color dial is your OP?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
jerseyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 07:13 AM   #16
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Good to know, thank you.

How do you like the hidden clasp on the Super Jubilee... does it wear comfortably? Is it different, feel-wise or comfort-wise, to the Jubilee with the OysterClasp (if you've worn one)?

This is the only jubilee from Rolex that I have worn.

It wears well, super comfy and feels very solid. Plus I really like the look of the hidden clasp.

A pro of this bracelet is that it fits the 6 digit sub, 6 digit gmt and the 116500. I also think it fits the Explorer 2, but I’m not sure about that one.

So you can use it on those watches as well, if you have them!

A very slight con is the lack of micro adjust. The jubilee links are tiny, but if the perfect fitment for you is between the addition and removal of a link, you’re going to either have to settle for a snug fit, or a little bit of a lose fit...

Or! Order a 1.5 link from your AD to get the perfect fit.

So, the lack of adjustability can be an issue, but there are ways to fix it

Just not as easy as a sub bracelet that has tons of micro adjustment

Old 16 February 2020, 07:40 AM   #17
SCutshall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyb View Post
Since you already have the oyster bracelet on your OP. Take a take a look at the jubilee on the DJ. I'm looking to add a DJ as well. I love the endlinks on the updated jubilee bracelet, but the hidden clasp on the older 116200 is much better than the clasp IMO. Tough to decide. What color dial is your OP?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Blue -- 3/6/9
Old 16 February 2020, 07:49 AM   #18
SCutshall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is the only jubilee from Rolex that I have worn.

It wears well, super comfy and feels very solid. Plus I really like the look of the hidden clasp.

A pro of this bracelet is that it fits the 6 digit sub, 6 digit gmt and the 116500. I also think it fits the Explorer 2, but I’m not sure about that one.

So you can use it on those watches as well, if you have them!

A very slight con is the lack of micro adjust. The jubilee links are tiny, but if the perfect fitment for you is between the addition and removal of a link, you’re going to either have to settle for a snug fit, or a little bit of a lose fit...

Or! Order a 1.5 link from your AD to get the perfect fit.

So, the lack of adjustability can be an issue, but there are ways to fix it

Just not as easy as a sub bracelet that has tons of micro adjustment

Thank you, great information to ponder!

The more this thread develops the more I am now considering the black dial with fluted bezel DJ... and definitely leaning towards the Jubilee bracelet.

Already having the domed bezel on my OP the classic bezel on the DJ might be a nice way to go.

Bezel Question- does the fluted bezel add, perhaps, a little too much bling or attention attracting to the SS DJ? Granted it wouldn't be rose gold or the like but with how the fluted bezel grabs sunlight -- does anyone here find that it adds any type of "check me out!" to the timepiece because that wouldn't be my aim personally.
Old 16 February 2020, 08:03 AM   #19
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I still don't get the though process behind this. Too much bang for buck perhaps? The look of a bracelet with a hidden clasp is stunning. And especially if you can get it on a non PM watch.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 08:37 AM   #20
cfracing
"TRF" Member

Since you are going with a smooth bezel, I think you should get the oyster bracelet. I think the jubilee bracelet was meant to go with a fluted bezel. Also, I would go with the black dial as I think the silver one makes the watch too monochromatic.
cfracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 08:39 AM   #21
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I still don't get the though process behind this. Too much bang for buck perhaps? The look of a bracelet with a hidden clasp is stunning. And especially if you can get it on a non PM watch.

I feel like they discontinued it because this bracelet is well known to fit multiple watches and I don’t think Rolex like that

Also with the discontinuation of this bracelet if you want to hit in class you’re going to have to buy precious metal which Rolex might like

I’m lucky to have mine tho!
Old 16 February 2020, 08:54 AM   #22
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:

The more this thread develops the more I am now considering the black dial with fluted bezel DJ... and definitely leaning towards the Jubilee bracelet.

Already having the domed bezel on my OP the classic bezel on the DJ might be a nice way to go.

Bezel Question- does the fluted bezel add, perhaps, a little too much bling or attention attracting to the SS DJ? Granted it wouldn't be rose gold or the like but with how the fluted bezel grabs sunlight -- does anyone here find that it adds any type of "check me out!" to the timepiece because that wouldn't be my aim personally.

The fluted bezel does add bling to the watch, but you’re going to have to be the judge of whether it’s too much or not.

I had been wearing mine for months without noticing the way the light bounces off the bezel and then one day at Walmart, I saw a guy wearing a watch that almost glittered

As I got closer to see it, I noticed it was a Datejust!

Then I purposely put my wrist in the sun, checking for the reflections of light, and they are certainly there

So I would say it does shine, but not too too much

The light kind of has to hit it right, in order for it to happen

But when it does, it will shine

I would recommend looking at some of those “wristroll” shots of a Datejust from instagram or something

Or maybe a watch review, so you can see how the bezel plays with the light

Old 16 February 2020, 08:55 AM   #23
g00n
"TRF" Member

I like a lighter dial on the oyster bracelet. Actually looking to trade my sub date for a 116234 White dial on oyster.
g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 09:04 AM   #24
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:

Not my Instagram (I don’t have one) but I googled a wristroll for you

Check it out:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2wahougNwC/
Old 16 February 2020, 09:07 AM   #25
Abmatt2002
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
I have a DJ41 with silver dial, smooth bezel and jubilee bracelet. It was my first Rolex.

I love it. Depending on the light the face looks different and I don’t find it hard to read. The bracelet is really comfortable. The watch fits perfectly. I prefer wearing it to my sub.
Abmatt2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 09:29 AM   #26
lmmrf
"TRF" Member

The Datejust 36 options are a little confusing because Rolex introduced new models (with the new 70-hour movement) last spring, and they made a number of tweaks to the watches. Assuming we're just talking about steel and not two-tone here.

Old models (116200/116234)
- Made from 2005 (or something like that) to early 2019
- Lots of dials available over the years
- Jubilee bracelet option had "hidden clasp"
- Certain dials came with "roulette" (red/black) date wheels

Current models (126200/126234)
- Offered since spring 2019
- New 70-hour movement
- Case shape slightly tweaked (slimmer lugs)
- Jubilee bracelet now has an oyster clasp (probably to permit inclusion of easylink adjustment mechanism, and maybe also to differentiate from the Day-Date president bracelet)
- No white index dial offered at launch (though it is available on two-tone DJ 36, and DJ41)
- Black dial is now a very dark gray kind of sunburst effect, rather than pure glossy black on previous models
- No roulette date wheels anymore, just black numerals
lmmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 09:39 AM   #27
ink3027
"TRF" Member

The blue isn't too dang bad, ha.

ink3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 09:47 AM   #28
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

My DJs are fluted jubilee and the bracelet catches light and flashes more than the bezel. The bezel has an amazing twinkle but it's a $2,000 option that serves no purpose other than being pretty.
Old 16 February 2020, 11:38 AM   #29
amanbra
"TRF" Member

I have a dj36 smooth bezel oyster black dial. It is the best everyday watch I own. It’s low key, slides under the cuff, extremely legible and durable. Dress up dresses down. If I got a second one it would be a fluted jub blue dial. But for me it’s too flashy for everyday use.

amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 12:23 PM   #30
2x4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Skydweller
I think the DJ41 is one of the most versatile watches Rolex makes. So many variations are possible. My DJ is basic and my daily. But, buy one with fluted bezel on a jubilee to me becomes much more dressier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GMT II
2x4 is offline   Reply With Quote