The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 14 November 2019, 10:46 AM   #121
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
Chamfer gone?
Old 14 November 2019, 11:21 AM   #122
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
Send it to Anie over at JoolTool, she will fix it up
Stay far away from this chic.

SM-N960U
Old 14 November 2019, 11:23 AM   #123
DTap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Ruined. Look at the crazy stripes they left on the side of the case.

Old 14 November 2019, 11:35 AM   #124
Theoffice
"TRF" Member

Watch: Chnr, hulk, sub d
Looks so soft, surprising !
No doubt took some resale value off, but if you’re going to keep it just try to enjoy it !
Old 14 November 2019, 01:27 PM   #125
RootBeerGMT
"TRF" Member

Still looks damn good. Wear it and enjoy.
Old 14 November 2019, 02:38 PM   #126
DJExplorer
"TRF" Member

Take the stickers off the side of the case and then upload another pic.
Old 14 November 2019, 03:49 PM   #127
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Love Rolliworks...be prepared for a long wait time, though. The price of fame!

And great work.

Ben
Old 14 November 2019, 03:57 PM   #128
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
“Every man dies. Not every man, really likes.”
– William Wallace -

William Wallace didn't really say that, did he.
I have no idea what happened! I don't know how it got from Lives, to Likes??

I read my signature over and over for months, and either never noticed it or someone changed it...

Was it you!!>>\\?? WEll, if it was...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Looks fantastic and looks like a factory finish should. Did you have a movement service also or just a refinish job?
Just finish, and seals. they said movement was perfect...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
Old 14 November 2019, 07:51 PM   #129
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeerGMT View Post
Still looks damn good. Wear it and enjoy.
Second this. It's taken a polish. It's a decade old and a daily. It's nice. I'll give it a 9.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 14 November 2019, 08:18 PM   #130
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
I really like your posts, and it’s nice having someone in your position as a contributor. That said, you chose a profession that caters to a group of consumers who spent a ridiculous sum of money on an unnecessary luxury item. As frustrating as it might be at times, I think a consumer has the right to have excessively high expectations. I see both sides here.
Really well said.
Old 15 November 2019, 12:24 AM   #131
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
I really like your posts, and it’s nice having someone in your position as a contributor. That said, you chose a profession that caters to a group of consumers who spent a ridiculous sum of money on an unnecessary luxury item. As frustrating as it might be at times, I think a consumer has the right to have excessively high expectations. I see both sides here.
Except, Rolex has a certain standard for polishing, and that doesn't mean getting it 100% like new, our machines are not suited for the case re-cuts that LAWW or rolliworks does.

Some people do not accept this refinishing, which is fine, don't have it polished then or sent it to someone else. But when people are unnecessarily critiquing and bashing RSC watchmakers and polishers, when they're exactly following what they were taught with the machines they have access to is when I'm drawing the line.

Even more so since some of them are as hypocrite and praise my work in my threads, yet bash the exact same work from another RSC employee in a thread like this.

If that's what it has come to with watch enthusiasts, fine, but I don't want anything to do with them.

Like I said, I love my job and am happy to go to work every day, but thank F#*k that I never have any contact with customers.
Old 15 November 2019, 12:50 AM   #132
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Except, Rolex has a certain standard for polishing, and that doesn't mean getting it 100% like new, our machines are not suited for the case re-cuts that LAWW or rolliworks does.

Some people do not accept this refinishing, which is fine, don't have it polished then or sent it to someone else. But when people are unnecessarily critiquing and bashing RSC watchmakers and polishers, when they're exactly following what they were taught with the machines they have access to is when I'm drawing the line.

Even more so since some of them are as hypocrite and praise my work in my threads, yet bash the exact same work from another RSC employee in a thread like this.

If that's what it has come to with watch enthusiasts, fine, but I don't want anything to do with them.

Like I said, I love my job and am happy to go to work every day, but thank F#*k that I never have any contact with customers.
Completely agree Bas and not seeing the watch before it was serviced to me the polish is a fantastic job, afraid today some you will never please.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 15 November 2019, 01:02 AM   #133
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
I can’t stop giggling at the OP.

How to lose $ on Rolex:
Step 1) Spend $ to “service” and destroy a watch.
Step 2) Get punished for lower resale value.
Step 3) Tell yourself it’s ok because you’ll keep it “forever!”

Old 15 November 2019, 01:07 AM   #134
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
wow this thread makes me feel sorry for any RSC worker.
Old 15 November 2019, 01:09 AM   #135
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post

Couldn’t agree more
Old 15 November 2019, 01:45 AM   #136
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
My greatest takeaway from the forum is that Rolex is a porch light for the happily unrealistic and ocd.
Old 15 November 2019, 02:15 AM   #137
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I think there has been a bit of unfair criticism of the OP (and some others in a similar position).

I have learned most of what I know about watches (the important stuff) from these forums over the years despite the oft held view that people only talk about value retention and ‘can I do this with my Rolex’.

I’ve never had a watch polished, but have often heard, and repeated, that the great thing about high end watches is that if you want, you can send them off for service and they come back as-new.

When I think about it, which I have for the first time today, that is not possible from a Polish, because by definition they will have to remove some metal!

Of course the standard of the work may vary a little because this is not done by robots, I’m sure that Bas would be offended if we were to suggest that everyone in his line of work is equal. At RSC it probably doesn’t vary wildly, but it will vary.

But here’s the thing, the OP has probably heard many times that the watches come back as-new and it hasn’t. He is naturally disappointed by that because of expectations. He hadn’t actually complained though and I suspect like me, he will have now thought about it and has learned. This is a good thing.

What would be a really good thread is an explanation from an expert such as Bas (and some visuals) of what should be expected when sending a watch in for a service or polish.

By the way, I think the watch looks fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 15 November 2019, 02:33 AM   #138
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
...I'll give it a 9.5, since Bas is losing his $#!+.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 15 November 2019, 02:41 AM   #139
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I too think the watch looks fine (other than bezel).
I would find this totally acceptable as nothing lasts forever and nothing can be replicated to that of new. New goes out the door the moment it goes on the wrist.

I have never bought a watch to sell so I don’t live in the worried world of investment loss. However, I am now curious to know why Rolex produces it one way, and later, polishes it in a different manner. Why is it a third party can polish it to best resemble how Rolex originally manufactured it yet the actual manufacturer cannot?

I venture to say it’s because Rolex will try to refinish it as best as they can while removing as minimal material as possible. In contrast, those fans of those third party vendors that are unhappy with this polish may actually not realize more harm has been done to their watches as more material has been taken off.
Seems like the Rolex way can always be turned into the third party way. Does it work the other way as well?
Old 15 November 2019, 02:45 AM   #140
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I think there has been a bit of unfair criticism of the OP (and some others in a similar position).

I have learned most of what I know about watches (the important stuff) from these forums over the years despite the oft held view that people only talk about value retention and ‘can I do this with my Rolex’.

I’ve never had a watch polished, but have often heard, and repeated, that the great thing about high end watches is that if you want, you can send them off for service and they come back as-new.

When I think about it, which I have for the first time today, that is not possible from a Polish, because by definition they will have to remove some metal!

Of course the standard of the work may vary a little because this is not done by robots, I’m sure that Bas would be offended if we were to suggest that everyone in his line of work is equal. At RSC it probably doesn’t vary wildly, but it will vary.

But here’s the thing, the OP has probably heard many times that the watches come back as-new and it hasn’t. He is naturally disappointed by that because of expectations. He hadn’t actually complained though and I suspect like me, he will have now thought about it and has learned. This is a good thing.

What would be a really good thread is an explanation from an expert such as Bas (and some visuals) of what should be expected when sending a watch in for a service or polish.

By the way, I think the watch looks fine.

You may think the watch looks fine, but all of our opinions are essentially a moot point. How does the OP feel about his watch? Well in one of his posts he says the watch did have hairline scratches from 9 years of wear, but the case edges were still sharp and crisp. He states in the same post he expected the watch to come back after service with the case edges just as sharp or even better. Unfortunately this is not the result he expected. In fact, the bezel teeth look horrible as the sharpness is gone and you can see the rounded off look caused by a heavy hand on the polishing wheel. If the watch were mine I would be offering to sell it to one of the posters here who think it looks great and I would go purchase a mint or unworn replacement from one of the reputable watch sellers here on forum.
Old 15 November 2019, 04:00 AM   #141
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
I don't feel that way. The work done on that bezel is awful and it makes me suspect something went wrong, the polisher may have been distracted while this thing was spinning around with polishing material applied to it. It is a mistake and they do happen, even to the best of people. The good news is that this is easy to fix, just get a new bezel. It is not the end of the world, and the OP does not have to spend the rest of his days wearing that thing and lamenting the poor workmanship.

I am not a fan of the work done on the case, but that looks like honest work as opposed to what happened to the bezel. The OP could get someone to sharpen the case up, so again, it is not the end of the world.

I think most RSC workers do good work and are proud of it. I don't feel sorry for them for one second. They are held to standards the same as anyone else.
Old 15 November 2019, 04:03 AM   #142
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
If the watch were mine I would be offering to sell it to one of the posters here who think it looks great and I would go purchase a mint or unworn replacement from one of the reputable watch sellers here on forum.
I think you would be surprised how much opinions change when push comes to shove and people are asked to put their money where there mouth is. I challenge the OP to put this watch up for sale here. Let's see how many people are prepared to pay normal market price for this watch. I suspect those who are saying that this is a great job will quickly disappear.
Old 15 November 2019, 04:06 AM   #143
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would not have polished the "micro scratches which accumulated over the years." They just come back, so why bother.
Old 15 November 2019, 07:36 AM   #144
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon12

Quote:
You may think the watch looks fine, but all of our opinions are essentially a moot point. How does the OP feel about his watch? Well in one of his posts he says the watch did have hairline scratches from 9 years of wear, but the case edges were still sharp and crisp. He states in the same post he expected the watch to come back after service with the case edges just as sharp or even better. Unfortunately this is not the result he expected. In fact, the bezel teeth look horrible as the sharpness is gone and you can see the rounded off look caused by a heavy hand on the polishing wheel. If the watch were mine I would be offering to sell it to one of the posters here who think it looks great and I would go purchase a mint or unworn replacement from one of the reputable watch sellers here on forum.
I am in this group who likes the edges sharper than what OP has in his picture.

So, I/we, just want to know what to expect from ROLEX RSC,(and now we kinda know...) so we can determine if we want to go that route for service or rather an independent.

Even though I would love to send to RSC, and feel almost an obligation to, I will not because of the result OP has obtained from RSC, which may be fine for some/most people...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
Old 15 November 2019, 09:14 AM   #145
zen123
"TRF" Member

Let me just say that the actual polishing work is of very good standard. The bracelet is especially well done, the edges are sharp and defined.

However the case is a different matter. Imho the original sharp brutal edges compliment the design of the jumbo case. Before the service I could brush my thumb against the edges and feel sharp line. Now when I do it it just feels smooth. Also on closer inspection the crown guards have also been overly rounded off. Anyway I shall be putting the watch away for now and will make a decision as to whether I will keep it.

I have ref 16710 with them at the moment, that one I did take a bunch of pics before sending it away. Let's see what it looks like when I get it back.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Old 15 November 2019, 09:28 AM   #146
Big_Red
"TRF" Member

I'm in the minority for sure, but think "softened lines" would actually wear better, or be more comfortable.

I know "firearms" are off limits here, so no pics, but folks pay good money for a gunsmith "dehorn" job on their Colt 1911 ;-). As in, bevel the sharp edges to increase comfort.
Old 15 November 2019, 10:16 AM   #147
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:

Hey, you may know better then me, and that’s cool, I just have an opinion based on what little I know and what I saw. I think my post also was defending the OP against some criticism that I thought was unfair.

Not sure why you chose my post to pick out, but you clearly know more then me so I shall duck out and leave it to the experts.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 15 November 2019, 10:29 AM   #148
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Hey, you may know better then me, and that’s cool, I just have an opinion based on what little I know and what I saw. I think my post also was defending the OP against some criticism that I thought was unfair.

Not sure why you chose my post to pick out, but you clearly know more then me so I shall duck out and leave it to the experts.

Ha, no worries mate! I was just trying to clarify what the OP expressed regarding his disappointment. Nothing against you or your opinion as we all have one!
Old 15 November 2019, 10:34 AM   #149
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
I have the same watch and honestly, I kind of like the soft edge. The problem with the sharp edge is that it nicks pretty easily. So, it always looks damaged. This looks taken care of and nice. If it bothers you, send it to rolliworks and I'm certain that they can make it new looking again, but my .02: leave it alone. It looks really nice.
Old 15 November 2019, 01:47 PM   #150
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
I'm in the minority for sure, but think "softened lines" would actually wear better, or be more comfortable.

I know "firearms" are off limits here, so no pics, but folks pay good money for a gunsmith "dehorn" job on their Colt 1911 ;-). As in, bevel the sharp edges to increase comfort.

I prefer my bezel to snag on the draw stroke. :)

Closed Thread