The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2009, 06:22 PM   #1
jas55
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Singapore

Hey,

I just got back from a week in Singapore, and thought I'd give a little review of what I found there. The number of AD's is truly amazing, I must have counted at least 10 Rolex dealers, and countless more with Omega Tag etc.

Coming from Perth, Western Australia I rarely get to see a full range of Rolex watches on display, they had everything. They even had all the top end diamond encrusted Daytona's. They were willing to drop the price on most of their watches by 20%, plus when leaving the country you can also claim back the GST tax of another 5% at Changi airport.

I think if you walked in with the cash and were serious about a purchase, they would have given a good deal. You can walk down Orchard Road (their main shopping street) and count mutliple Rolex dealers.

I tried on quite a few pieces, alas I couldn't really afford to buy a new one on this trip. I bought my new Explorer 2 in Perth last December, I calculated I would have saved at least $1500 Australian dollars if I had have bought in Singapore. I had my first encounter with Patek Phillipe, and some other high end brands. Funnily enough Panerai was very hard to find, only a few dealers seem to carry them. They are such a great watch, and I did try on a few models too.

Also tried on a few IWC models, and was very tempted with the Classic pilots mark XV1 model. It's a very elegant watch.

I think I will try and head back that way if I want to purchase another new model anytime soon.

Explorer 2-Polar
Omega Seamaster Quartz
jas55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 06:29 PM   #2

Watch: 116520
You can claim 7% GST from the airport... not 5%...
116520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 06:36 PM   #3
jas55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 116520 View Post
7% thanks:)

Explorer 2-Polar
Omega Seamaster Quartz
Old 23 May 2009, 07:26 PM   #4
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Hmm, I don't see we can save much buying in Singapore. If I had the time and money to visit UK, UK would offer the best deal at the moment. BTW, you have to use the prevailing exchange rates to do comparison. When it was Dec 2008, A$ was like 63c to USD. Now it's 78c - totally different ballgame.

P.S. and don't forget you are legally required to declare that watch you bought overseas when you enter Australia. If you travel a lot and wear this piece in and out, chances are that customs would notice it and tax you with penalty.

P.P.S. that 7% refund from Singapore is debatable. I think that organisation doing refunds charges a processing fee or something so in the end you get approx 5.5% back only.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 08:04 PM   #5
vip4u

Watch: TUDOR Hydronaut 1
Icon14

Just gone taken a few pic for u guys,did not want too look to obiouse incase they thought i was planning a robbery
Here are a few shops in Dubai Mall ,in about a 23 km radius were i stay there are anywere from 3/6 dealers around of most brands except Penarai one i know of otherwise good variety here.
Only problem me no money for this stuff.
But wow is it tempting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bently Rolex.JPG (101.2 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg Al Fardan.JPG (117.6 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg Penerai.JPG (91.0 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg Luminar.JPG (68.7 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg Tag Omega.JPG (58.2 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg Braume.JPG (56.0 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg Richars Mille.JPG (92.0 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg Glasshutte.JPG (73.4 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg Brequete.JPG (43.1 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg Blueie in window.JPG (50.4 KB, 408 views)
vip4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 09:11 PM   #6
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Ok, so here's a stupid question... but I wear my Rolex overseas quite a bit. I've worn it on trips to Japan, Brazil, Argentina, and the Caribeaan. Have never been questioned about it at all. Now, let's say I leave my watch at home. I travel to.. Singapore, buy a Rolex at a discount, and ship the box/papers home through UPS or FEDEX or something. Then, when I return to the US, I am wearing my new Rolex.

I'm not supporting the conecpt of smuggling or anything, but how does the customs inspector know I just bought that watch and wasn't wearing it when I left the US (like I've done a hundred times before)
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 09:49 PM   #7
vip4u

Watch: TUDOR Hydronaut 1
Normally if i sneak a watch through,and get away with it ok. but when i leave again ,my country i make sure i fill in a form at customs with serial no.that i all ready had it,this is valued for 12 months.So if i come back and get search i show them the slip that i left with it.Computers etc,mp3 etc.
For we have a threshold and if over you pay 25% what ever.
But if you have had it over 12 months with proof of purchase also ok.

So can be a bit of lottery ,but yes generally hard to control i would think.
vip4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2009, 09:54 PM   #8
Imtiaz
Banned

Watch: Daytona, Sub, DS,
Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Ok, so here's a stupid question... but I wear my Rolex overseas quite a bit. I've worn it on trips to Japan, Brazil, Argentina, and the Caribeaan. Have never been questioned about it at all. Now, let's say I leave my watch at home. I travel to.. Singapore, buy a Rolex at a discount, and ship the box/papers home through UPS or FEDEX or something. Then, when I return to the US, I am wearing my new Rolex.

I'm not supporting the conecpt of smuggling or anything, but how does the customs inspector know I just bought that watch and wasn't wearing it when I left the US (like I've done a hundred times before)
Paul this is what most people who buy expensive watches overseas do when they come back home.

I travel about 6 times a year. The customs don't ask me about watches, these they seem more interested in drugs and fake watches and handbags.

Re the singapore GST refund, in my experience there was about 2% fee that was charged to process the refund.
Imtiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 12:34 AM   #9
Raam

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas55 View Post
Hey,

I think if you walked in with the cash and were serious about a purchase, they would have given a good deal. You can walk down Orchard Road (their main shopping street) and count mutliple Rolex dealers.
Hi Jas55,

There are more shops at other part of Singapore, check the list of ADs on Rolex Official site if u coming again, you be spoilt for choice...
Raam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 01:54 AM   #10
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

I have two questions:
  1. Did the ADs have all the different models?
  2. Were the prices that much less than buying in the US?

Allan
allanofcalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 02:02 AM   #11
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Singapore does have excellent shopping for Rolex and other brands.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 02:14 AM   #12
jas55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanofcalifornia View Post
I have two questions:
  1. Did the ADs have all the different models?
  2. Were the prices that much less than buying in the US?

Allan
Yes the AD's had a very good range of models. Every model that I could think of, with possibly the exception of the deepsea was there. I wasn't really looking for a deepsea in particular, I just don't recall seeing that many. They also had solid gold models which I haven't seen alot of before. Solid Subs and GMT'S.

I can't really answer the cheaper than US part, as I haven't been there yet. However I went into Chinatown and there was a shopping centre which had 3 Rolex AD's in the same centre. They would have to offer you a good price purely to be competitive.

Explorer 2-Polar
Omega Seamaster Quartz
Old 24 May 2009, 02:16 AM   #13
jas55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raam View Post
Hi Jas55,

There are more shops at other part of Singapore, check the list of ADs on Rolex Official site if u coming again, you be spoilt for choice...
Yeah I stumbled accross a few in Chinatown, and at the shopping centre where you can cross over to Santosa. Also there's Changi airport itself, which has quite a few shops to choose from.

Many of the high class hotels also have them. The Raffles hotel had a Rolex AD, as did a couple of the other hotels, such as Swiss Hotel.

Explorer 2-Polar
Omega Seamaster Quartz
Old 24 May 2009, 02:36 AM   #14
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes the AD's had a very good range of models. Every model that I could think of, with possibly the exception of the deepsea was there. I wasn't really looking for a deepsea in particular, I just don't recall seeing that many. They also had solid gold models which I haven't seen alot of before. Solid Subs and GMT'S.
Must have felt like being in a candy store!!

How did you resist the temptation to buy?

Allan
Old 24 May 2009, 02:46 AM   #15
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 116520 View Post
technically its 7% but then the airport takes a chunk out for their own admin charges and you get o/a 5.5% back in cash.
Old 24 May 2009, 03:23 AM   #16
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
Chinese really appreciate luxury goods. Here in Southern California, the best ADs, those with the greatest selection, are in Chinatowns.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 03:29 AM   #17
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Chinese really appreciate luxury goods. Here in Southern California, the best ADs, those with the greatest selection, are in Chinatowns.
Just curious, where are the Chinatowns in Southern California?

Allan
Old 24 May 2009, 03:30 AM   #18
Atomant
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey,

I just got back from a week in Singapore, and thought I'd give a little review of what I found there. The number of AD's is truly amazing, I must have counted at least 10 Rolex dealers, and countless more with Omega Tag etc.

Coming from Perth, Western Australia I rarely get to see a full range of Rolex watches on display, they had everything. They even had all the top end diamond encrusted Daytona's. They were willing to drop the price on most of their watches by 20%, plus when leaving the country you can also claim back the GST tax of another 5% at Changi airport.

I tried on quite a few pieces, alas I couldn't really afford to buy a new one on this trip. I bought my new Explorer 2 in Perth last December, I calculated I would have saved at least $1500 Australian dollars if I had have bought in Singapore. I had my first encounter with Patek Phillipe, and some other high end brands. Funnily enough Panerai was very hard to find, only a few dealers seem to carry them. They are such a great watch, and I did try on a few models too.

Also tried on a few IWC models, and was very tempted with the Classic pilots mark XV1 model. It's a very elegant watch.

I think I will try and head back that way if I want to purchase another new model anytime soon.
Hi Lach, if you happen to visit Kuala Lumpur drop by starhill gallery. You will be truly amazed by one level of watchmaker's boutique. I know cause I just came back from KL 2 weeks ago. Glad you enjoyed your stay in Singapore.
Old 24 May 2009, 06:32 AM   #19
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Just curious, where are the Chinatowns in Southern California?

Allan

Certainly, Downtown LA, around Alameda and Broadway. Then I am also refering to San Gabriel/Monterey Park/Temple City. Chong Hing and Hing Wa Lee both have awesome watch selections. Chong Hing is a Patek/AP AD and Hing Wa Lee is a Rolex/Omega/VC AD.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 06:45 AM   #20
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Certainly, Downtown LA, around Alameda and Broadway. Then I am also refering to San Gabriel/Monterey Park/Temple City. Chong Hing and Hing Wa Lee both have awesome watch selections. Chong Hing is a Patek/AP AD and Hing Wa Lee is a Rolex/Omega/VC AD.
Thanks for the information!! I live in Northern California but it is good to know.

Allan
Old 24 May 2009, 06:41 PM   #21
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Well, I think for customs the burden of proof is on you to prove them wrong, i.e. you have to prove to them that your watch was duty paid, or they have the authority to hold on to it until you show them the proof. By this time there's no point arguing unless you really have proof (e.g. receipt at home).
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2009, 07:40 PM   #22
jas55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Must have felt like being in a candy store!!

How did you resist the temptation to buy?

Allan
That was exactly the feeling that I had visiting the stores:)

Explorer 2-Polar
Omega Seamaster Quartz
Old 24 May 2009, 11:59 PM   #23
jas55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomant View Post
Hi Lach, if you happen to visit Kuala Lumpur drop by starhill gallery. You will be truly amazed by one level of watchmaker's boutique. I know cause I just came back from KL 2 weeks ago. Glad you enjoyed your stay in Singapore.

Thanks for that, I haven''t been to KL yet.

Explorer 2-Polar
Omega Seamaster Quartz
Old 25 May 2009, 05:57 PM   #24
DaveInLA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Chong Hing and Hing Wa Lee both have awesome watch selections. Chong Hing is a Patek/AP AD and Hing Wa Lee is a Rolex/Omega/VC AD.
Actually, Hing Wa Lee does not sell Omegas. I bought my Explorer from the one in San Gabriel. However, the Chong Hing that's in the same shopping center IS an Omega AD.
Old 29 May 2009, 05:07 AM   #25
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Ditto. I travel to Pasadena, CA about once a month for business, and I know that these two cities are fairly close by. I will stop in and take a peek next time.

Quote:
Thanks for the information!! I live in Northern California but it is good to know.

Allan
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote