The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2018, 01:29 AM   #361
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
It’s real simple... Tudor is the new Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
Agree, wondering how to protect there clasp while sitting at a desk all day!! jewelry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubins930 View Post
I’m hyping Tudor for being a well priced tool watch... not a luxury item. Rolex SS are the low end of the luxury watch spectrum at 6-12k.

I’m really not trying to be argumentative here. But what do you guys actually do that used your Tudor or other watch as a tool?

I don’t think most divers are diving with Tudor’s, or any watch you would include in that category. Other than the example of diving to the bottom of the ocean what activity constitutes the use of a tool that so many people shy away from?

Sure, there are a handful of “is it safe”posts. But I would argue that the majority of watch enthusiasts do use their watches as a part of their daily lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 December 2018, 01:37 AM   #362
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
This are my thoughts exactly. Tudor is what Rolex used to be. As Rolex has moved further and further up the luxury ladder and strayed from their tool watch roots, they have sort of back-filled with Tudor to try to recapture the market they have somewhat abandoned. Not everyone can afford to pay $9,000 for a tool watch and not everyone needs the Rolex bling factor. They have positioned Tudor perfectly to go after the mid-tier tool watch market.

This

Reminds me a little of the auto industry. When I was growing up the Honda Civic was a basic compact car. Then every year the Civic would get a little bigger and a little more expensive to the point that is was no longer a compact car. So Honda introduced the Honda Fit to capture the market the Civic left behind. Kind of the same idea I think...
This
Auto16610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 04:24 AM   #363
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Tudor is not and will never be the ‘new’ rolex. I love the designs of Rolex but I do not like the designs of Tudor.
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 06:13 AM   #364
doramas
Banned

Simple answer. Noooo
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 06:17 AM   #365
CF999
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655 ,1675, 1016
Fake news!
CF999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 09:27 AM   #366
Jg422
"TRF" Member

It’s real simple... Tudor is the new Rolex

You wish!!
As someone who owns a Black bay and rolexes I disagree. Tudor is on a totally different tier. Vintage pieces maybe bit of another story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jg422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 09:48 AM   #367
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLMARINER View Post
Watches aren't bought for their function these days, they're bought as jewelry. Those wanting a Rolex in the present and in the future will want to buy diamonds, not cubic zirconia.

Now, you own both brands so this next statement really doesn't apply to you, but Tudor is not a new Rolex alternative. It's a vintage Rolex alternative purchased by a small niche of watch enthusiasts who view a Black Bay 36 as a way to get an Explorer 1016 at 1/5th the price. And I don't mind that, Tudor's are very nice looking, and it's fine that Rolex vintage styling is that appreciated decades later, but personally I would feel like I'm wearing an imitation and I just couldn't do that.

So, for me, if Tudor wants to get in my collection they're going to have to do something original. But they've never been able to and I think they've just given up trying. Which is a shame, because with all that shared talent it could have been a fun brand that took chances and not a copy/paste of the 1960 Rolex catalog.

As to your last paragraph.
https://www.tudorwatch.com/watches/n...g/m91210n-0001

I was a big Rolex fan until the six digit models. Then I was a big Tudor fan, until the in house movements. Now I am happy with my vintage Tudor sub and eta Tudor Heritage pieces. Looking for options beyond these brands these days.

To me a Tudor was a Rolex case with an eta movement. The heritage line has that 5 digit Rolex case feel.
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 05:08 PM   #368
storm66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbears View Post
your response was tied to aesthetics and the original history of tudor. This is a new tudor. This is not a baby brother reusing left over parts. Tudor is the aspirational brand to be and rolex is for the wealthy. The average person can no longer aspire to own a rolex. It’s almost impossible and each year getting further out of reach.
+1 .....
storm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 08:42 PM   #369
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
I own both, like them equally and they are equal in quality for my purposes
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:23 PM   #370
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Own both, like both, feel very happy wearing either.

There are some really nice design touches to the Black Bay that should not be underestimated - I am impressed by the beautiful bevel on the case, as well as the incredible accuracy. The in-house Tudor even feels nicer to wind than the new 3235 .

It's not Rolex level, but I think it's closer than a lot of people give it credit for.
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:46 PM   #371
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbears View Post
Rolex is going upmarket. Exclusivity. Sell less units at higher prices. Same profit. Rolex=Patek Eventually.

Rolex, will never be Patek, or anything like Patek, ever.

Rolex are mass-produced, well designed, robust watches, that happen to have a phenomenal marketing machine behind them.

That’s all.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:08 PM   #372
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
Rolex are mass-produced, well designed, robust watches, that happen to have a phenomenal marketing machine behind them.
That’s all.
This is spot on . There is a 90% chance that guy you see on the street doesn't even know what Rolex he is wearing just that it is a Rolex. He or she wears this Rolex because they were told it's what you buy to show wealth or success. Before I got more into watches I was in this category as well so I am not judging but in this mentality Tudor, Casio, Swatch, or any brand for that matter could be just as huge given time and a little persuasive marketing.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:09 AM   #373
airpeace
Banned

tudor will never be rolex, period
airpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 04:21 AM   #374
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpeace View Post
tudor will never be rolex, period
Why is it that you say that? I don't disagree per se, but owning both I would be appreciative of your reasons for this opinion.
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 07:08 PM   #375
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINVS View Post
Hmmm....I dunno.

If you ask an average man or woman on the street if he knows what a Rolex is, he'll shake his head yes.

Ask him what a Tudor is, he'd more likely start talking English history than watches.

Are Tudors marketed more outside the USA? I don't recall ever seeing a Tudor boutique. In a "watch mall" like Chong Hing I never get around to seeing Tudor (if they carry them).

A young professional getting his first bonus - does he dream about a Tudor? or a Submariner?

A person at the apex of his or her career - do they jones for a gold Tudor Prince? or a Daydate or gold Sub?

Rolex has spent decades and countless dollars building their brand. And it's not really about horology - you can't even see the movements anyway. Rolex is more than a watch, it's a status symbol.

Now waitlists are just for certain models - that just enhances the brand. There are still plenty of Datejusts, OPs, and PMs out there for the masses.

If you really appreciate the craftsmanship and design of Tudors, then great. Tudor apparently make a good watch. But a lot of people buy Rolex for the brand.
Rolex is cash. Tudors are not.
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote