The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 December 2007, 04:06 AM   #1
PA WOLFPACKER
"TRF" Member

Hello and a Question

A newbie that just joined the forum. This has been an exceptional year for me as I have purchased three rolexes. A Presidential for my father who would never spend that kind of money for himself, a PearlMaster for my wife's 25 anniversary and last but not least a TT Sub for me.

As a result of all of that activity my AD has offered me a SS Daytona at MSRP. Through a search of this site I found out it is a very special, and rare, watch. I'm really not in a financial position to take on another watch but I am concerned this may be a one and done opportunity based on what I have read on the forum.

Also, the watch is at the AD now and it has a black face. I read that the white face is the one that is the "best". If I scrape up the $$ to buy this watch should I ask for the white face?

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.
PA WOLFPACKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 04:23 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA WOLFPACKER View Post
A newbie that just joined the forum. This has been an exceptional year for me as I have purchased three rolexes. A Presidential for my father who would never spend that kind of money for himself, a PearlMaster for my wife's 25 anniversary and last but not least a TT Sub for me.

As a result of all of that activity my AD has offered me a SS Daytona at MSRP. Through a search of this site I found out it is a very special, and rare, watch. I'm really not in a financial position to take on another watch but I am concerned this may be a one and done opportunity based on what I have read on the forum.

Also, the watch is at the AD now and it has a black face. I read that the white face is the one that is the "best". If I scrape up the $$ to buy this watch should I ask for the white face?

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.
Well first welcome to TRF,now the Daytona is not a rare watch just hard to get at the moment in SS at list price.Both
watches are desirable some prefer black dial,the white seems to be favourite in the western world.Myself not a fan of the modern Daytona,yes its a fine chronograph with prices kept artificially high.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 04:27 AM   #3
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Welcome to TRF!

Well, I would not say that the SS Daytona (or "Cos" as I often call it) is "rare" as such. ALL can get one if they want one......at a price, though.

But the OCCASION to get one offered at MSRP is "rare", if you like.

Now, I would also not say that the White Face "Cos" is "better" than the Black Face Cos. In fact, the Black Faced Cos demands a premium in some countries. It also seems that fewer of the Black Cos watches appear on the market than the White ones. At least according to "Maxi Dial"'s overview here (do a search for his threads), there have been bought 14 Black Cos watches out of currently 36 White ones bought by members here (that is at least the count I made earlier today).

Personally, I prefer - and own - a White Faced Cos, but I would take EITHER! As long as it is offered at MSRP.

Good luck!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 04:41 AM   #4
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
I can understand your concern about another watch given your recent purchases. However if you can get that watch at MSRP you almost have to do it. You could immediately resell it for a tidy profit. I would'nt recommend it if you want to maintain a good relationship with your AD, however. Mine has told me that they would'nt sell it to anyone with that intension. Yours however, may not care and are just rewarding for being a good customer. I think the black dial might be more "subtle" if thats possible. Good luck!
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 07:13 AM   #5
finance21
2024 Pledge Member

For being such a good customer (i.e. spending so much money) you should jump on that offer. Resell it if you want, don’t worry about the AD, your not there to please him/her. Rolex AD’s are a dime a dozen.
finance21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 07:18 AM   #6
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
If the quick buck's your thing then go for it.
But is it worth souring the relationship with your AD.
Welcome and enjoy the trip.

f
f16570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 07:21 AM   #7
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
No brainer. Getting one at MSRP is an almost once in a lifetime opportunity for a Rolex owner.

I would not flip it though. I would keep it. You'll love it and you won't regret it. It is the Grail Rolex.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 07:40 AM   #8
ROLEXAHOLIC

Watch: 116528
Go For it !!!!
ROLEXAHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 08:17 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Your AD is offering you a good value..

But....Don't do it unless you intend to wear and take care of that new Daytona.

Just buying it because you can, or buying because it's a great price does the watch and other Rolex owners a disservice..

There is someone out there who really wants and intends to give special care to their Daytona and each time one is taken off the market, another potential Rolex owner is taken off the market too, or switched over to a more obtainable brand...

Maybe I'm getting old, but I've walked away from more than one offer for a Cosmo at MSRP... and neither me or my small collection has suffered...

Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 09:20 AM   #10
pol
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG Day-Date/SS Sub
I agree with Larry...if you want it, will wear it and care for it, you gotta get it! Its a great looking watch and you are getting a nice offer.

pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 09:43 AM   #11
atldavek

Watch: SS SUB
Others may get upset, but just my opinion. I am not trying to offend anyone.

Business is business, if you want the watch to resell, go for it, if you want it for a lifetime, go for it. They aren't my thing, I'd buy and resell.
atldavek is offline   Reply With Quote