The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 December 2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Triple Black 88
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Lint on "New" DD Dial

Just noticed a small piece of lint on the dial of my New DD, just above 5:00. I've only had it a week, so I'm a little bummed. I had to wait 2 mo's for RSC to replace the dial, so I'm not looking foward to sending it back.
Are there any other options? Anyone know of any AD's in the PA, NJ, DE area with an in-house Rolex trained watchmaker? Somewhere I could drop off/pick up in the same day?

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Triple Black 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 10:00 AM   #2
SSonly
Banned

Watch: SS Daytona,LV Sub
Replace Watch Immediately

My friend,for less than that I had an SS Sub replaced.That is one expensive watch, so my best advice is:Take it back to the AD and tell them that this is unacceptable even for 500$ watch, let alone a 25,000 work of art like that.Good luck.
SSonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 10:07 AM   #3
sharif

Oh, what a bummer. Honestly, removing thecrystal and removing the lint is a very easy process, that should take no more than 10 mins at a good watch maker. I know it's always nice to have the RSC do the work, but time is pleasure...and you will be loosing some pleasure without your watch. :(
sharif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 10:09 AM   #4
Thani
Banned

Watch: Milgauss 116400 GV
sorry about that pal... try and get it replaced
Thani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 10:09 AM   #5
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I just had the same problem with my Green Sub. Took it to the AD who sent it to the RSC and had it back in 3 weeks.

Painful but necessary.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 10:20 AM   #6
sharif

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiVet View Post
I just had the same problem with my Green Sub. Took it to the AD who sent it to the RSC and had it back in 3 weeks.

Painful but necessary.
That was entirely your fault....you shouldn't have pulled out the 10x loupe.
sharif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 04:38 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharif@forged View Post
Au contraire, my friend. If that DD owner had pulled out the 10x loupe BEFORE paying for it.....he would not be in his present dilemma!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 04:52 PM   #8
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharif@forged View Post

Hahahaha! So true!
Old 4 December 2007, 06:17 PM   #9
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSonly View Post
My friend,for less than that I had an SS Sub replaced.That is one expensive watch, so my best advice is:Take it back to the AD and tell them that this is unacceptable even for 500$ watch, let alone a 25,000 work of art like that.Good luck.
Seriously! Having the DD replaced is out of the question. There is nothing wrong with it! Yes, there's a piece of lint on the underside of the crystal. That piece of lint can be removed. It IS annoying, but I don't see why this mere cosmetical "issue" could possibly be reason for an exchange.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 06:26 PM   #10
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Au contraire, my friend. If that DD owner had pulled out the 10x loupe BEFORE paying for it.....he would not be in his present dilemma!!
Yes, but he is correct.

I had already had the LV for months when I finally got a loupe and looked at it. That is when I saw the lint.
Old 4 December 2007, 10:41 PM   #11
Triple Black 88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Unfortunatly, I would have been in the same dilema, loop or no loop.

1. This watch is a "K" series that was never sold, so I got a huge discount. This was the only way I was able to buy "New" from an AD and it was the only one they had.
2. On top of that, I had it send to RSC to replace the face, so I had already bought the watch. Technically I already owned the watch...the lint was just a product of swapping dials, not a flaw on the watch I bought. (It would be like if you sent your Rolex out for a new dial and came back with lint on the dial. You couldn't return the whole watch.)
3. Whether or not I saw it when I picked it up wouldn't have mattered. I would have been in the same position. That AD din't have a watchmaker and i wasn't about to send it back for another 4 - 6 weeks after waiting 2 mo's.

I'm going to call a local AD (15 min's away) that has an on-staff Rolex certified watchmaker to see if I can drop off/pick up on the same day or even just wait for it. Still a PITA, but in the end it will get fixed. Might even be today. Its 7:30 AM here, so I'll give them a call when they open.
Old 4 December 2007, 10:46 PM   #12
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction, and please make sure to inspect the dial under strong light afterwards to make sure you won't run into the same problem once again.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2007, 12:10 AM   #13
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Damn that's bad. This thing would definetely piss me off as this is such an expensive watch.
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2007, 01:44 AM   #14
Triple Black 88
"TRF" Member

Just talked to AD and he recommends that it be sent back to RSC. Since its brand new and under warranty, I'm going to take his advice. I'm going to wait until after Christmas though.
Old 5 December 2007, 02:16 AM   #15
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Black 88 View Post
Just talked to AD and he recommends that it be sent back to RSC. Since its brand new and under warranty, I'm going to take his advice. I'm going to wait until after Christmas though.
Good idea Steve..don't take a chance with that beauty! It's worth the piece of mind sending it to RSC.

If it's any consolation, I noticed a grayish mark on the dial of my DJ a few months after buying it and I sent it to the Dallas RSC since it was under warranty....they were VERY accommodating and replaced the entire dial at no charge to me! Took only 2 weeks. I HIGHLY recommend the Dallas RSC.
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2007, 02:39 AM   #16
amphigory
"TRF" Member

Watch: 60's Heuer Chrono
It is a very simple job. Any qualified watchmaker can do this simple repair. All they have to do is take off the back , rotate 2 screws, and press a button to take out the crown. Pull out the movement, remove the lint and reverse the process. A monkey could do it. There is no danger of any normal watchmaker messing this up.
amphigory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2007, 03:30 AM   #17
Triple Black 88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphigory View Post
It is a very simple job. Any qualified watchmaker can do this simple repair. All they have to do is take off the back , rotate 2 screws, and press a button to take out the crown. Pull out the movement, remove the lint and reverse the process. A monkey could do it. There is no danger of any normal watchmaker messing this up.
I hear ya, but on the other hand, its a brand new $25,000 watch with a 5 yr warranty.
Just not worth taking a chance over a spec of dust.