The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 March 2018, 09:38 AM   #1
lschultheis
"TRF" Member

Rolex Daytona 116509

What are your thoughts on the Daytona ref 116509. Is is worth the high price tag being white gold? What are your thoughts. To me, its worth it. Does anyone here own one?
lschultheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 11:06 AM   #2
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Your opinion is the only one that counts when you’re considering a watch! You answered your own question if it’s worth it for you!
Old 20 March 2018, 11:21 AM   #3
Arthur Daley
"TRF" Member

Can't speak to the Daytona (not my thing), BUT Rolex WG is incredible: warm hue (a slightly yellow color), solid in its consistency unlike plated golds (as it's from Rolex's own foundry), and heavy of course. It FEELS spectacular on the wrist, and changes color in different lighting conditions: almost looks a very light yellow gold to evening incandescent light. Has to be seen to be believed. As a benefit: to the casual observer it looks like steel: Love that understatement.
Arthur Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 11:26 AM   #4
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

I just added a 116519 and absolutely love it. Totally worth it IMO.
Old 20 March 2018, 12:26 PM   #5
mynameistaken
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 Steel Dial

Just bought mines last week, still feeling the joy of owning it at this point. However I do have to say that if; and only IF the bezel could have been ceramic. Then it would be a master piece.

At the time of purchase I had the option between the white gold and rose gold with diamond dial,. Let’s pause for a second; couple years ago I bought a 116515LN chocolate dial with ceramic bezel, back then it was still on a leather strap. It was a nice watch but the dial had no contrast which in over time I felt it was kinda small on my wrist. Back to present; when I tried the steel dial, IT WAS AMAZING!!, the contrast on the dial made a world of difference and it stands out a lot. It doesn’t feel small on my wrist and I’m usually a ROOS 42mm and 44mm guy.

At first, I was negotiating on the rose gold Daytona, thinking that I could swap the ceramic from my 515LN. But the premium for the diamonds on the dial wasn’t in my favor. Thinking of an counter offer, I came across the white gold and just felt it.

Sorry for all the mumbling about my watch experience, in conclusion, It’s a great watch and it’s definitely worth it! Just think a steel 500C is going for 22k already! I would like the ceramic bezel and my original plan was for a all yellow/rose gold summer watch. But I guess that just gives me more reasons to buy another one. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mynameistaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 12:31 PM   #6
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I think it's amazing with great dial choices. Especially the panda dial....just love it. However I've fallen in love with something else as well and decided I got enough Daytonas for now...or else I'd be all over that panda steel dial...I honestly think it looks great without the ceramic bezel myself.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 12:57 PM   #7
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I own, RG, YG and WG Daytonas. Love them all, but there is something very special about the WG.. Only I and fellow WIS 'know' what it is.. The weight and warmth of the PM is unlike anything else.. SS may look similar, but that is where the analogy ends for me. Have you tried one on? Do you like other gold colors as well? YG was my first, followed by WG and RG. Good luck in your quest and let us know what you decided
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0949 (1).jpg (109.1 KB, 1613 views)

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 01:32 PM   #8
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
Never been a fan of the metal bezel SS or even in PM. Ceramic looks so much better imho.
Pepsi GMT 126710BLRO
White DaytonaC 116500
Omega Seamaster 50th Anniv Bond OHMSS
Omega Seamaster Bond titanium
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 01:40 PM   #9
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Mine says hello...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wg.jpg (221.0 KB, 1581 views)
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 01:42 PM   #10
16610v
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Great story! I own this 116509 too and this contrast known as panda dial. Kind of retro for 6265 (for 116509) and 6263 (for 116519):

Rolex 116509 white gold panda vs 6265 original panda :) by T C, 於 Flickr

Rolex daytona 116509 vs 6265 panda! by T C, 於 Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameistaken View Post

Just bought mines last week, still feeling the joy of owning it at this point. However I do have to say that if; and only IF the bezel could have been ceramic. Then it would be a master piece.

At the time of purchase I had the option between the white gold and rose gold with diamond dial,. Let’s pause for a second; couple years ago I bought a 116515LN chocolate dial with ceramic bezel, back then it was still on a leather strap. It was a nice watch but the dial had no contrast which in over time I felt it was kinda small on my wrist. Back to present; when I tried the steel dial, IT WAS AMAZING!!, the contrast on the dial made a world of difference and it stands out a lot. It doesn’t feel small on my wrist and I’m usually a ROOS 42mm and 44mm guy.

At first, I was negotiating on the rose gold Daytona, thinking that I could swap the ceramic from my 515LN. But the premium for the diamonds on the dial wasn’t in my favor. Thinking of an counter offer, I came across the white gold and just felt it.

Sorry for all the mumbling about my watch experience, in conclusion, It’s a great watch and it’s definitely worth it! Just think a steel 500C is going for 22k already! I would like the ceramic bezel and my original plan was for a all yellow/rose gold summer watch. But I guess that just gives me more reasons to buy another one. lol

Old 22 March 2018, 07:19 PM   #11
mynameistaken
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 Steel Dial
Love the dial!!!

mynameistaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:05 PM   #12
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
my favorite looking Daytona, if only they made it in steel and 42mm..
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:09 PM   #13
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
It’s a gorgeous watch!
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:54 PM   #14
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Oh wow! Cut those crown guards off and let the good times roll. Nice piece regardless though.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:32 AM   #15
Mattewlaird
Banned

absolutely a good one.
Mattewlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:53 AM   #16
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Love it. The blue and the steel dials are to die for (IMO) . Big WG fan in general, though. And...it's not for everybody. As we found out yesterday, apparently the market doesn't follow my line of thinking.

Bottom line: Is it worth it? It is for me.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:55 AM   #17
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Love it.
Old 23 March 2018, 03:19 AM   #18
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschultheis View Post
What are your thoughts on the Daytona ref 116509. Is is worth the high price tag being white gold? What are your thoughts. To me, its worth it. Does anyone here own one?
I have this one. I think it's an extraordinary watch with a unique look and a cool motorsports vibe. This version was produced from approximately 2005-2009. A successor variation, with a slate grey dial and slightly larger numerals, was made from roughly 2010 to 2012. I like this darker, anthracite-matte dial although both versions are really great. Both turn up occasionally in the secondary markets. -Rick.

Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:40 AM   #19
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I love the 116509. I was shopping for the BLRO but every time I went to an AD to try it, I was disappointed. I'd put on the Daytona and say, "yeah, that's what I really want."

However, for me, right now, the way my investments have been performing (not well) I can't justify that kind of money on a watch. But when it comes time to get my next Rolex, it will likely be my choice.

Or, if I get a wild hair one day, who knows? I can be impulsive sometimes... heh, heh.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:28 PM   #20
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Love mine
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 06:24 PM   #21
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN

I traded my Batman and SubC date for this a few months back. I’ve never looked back.

amg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 07:27 PM   #22
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Yes would take a 116509 any day over the 116500; gold always worth more than SS in my book!
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 07:35 PM   #23
amg55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Yes would take a 116509 any day over the 116500; gold always worth more than SS in my book!
The funny thing is I actually picked this one up for less than what a DaytinaC is now going for. It’s a no brainer.
amg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:20 PM   #24
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Rolex Daytona 116509

Big fan of the 116509, in fact it is my daily wearer. If things get too rough, or I’m traveling, then I’ll switch watches.

Old 25 March 2018, 02:29 AM   #25
evsnow
"TRF" Member

Any thoughts on price trends for the blue and steel dial WG daytonas? Both are starting to catch my fancy. It seems like the steel dial might go for a bit more than the blue dial?

Also, any thoughts on how easy this is to pick up at an AD? Seems like a good watch to start building a relationship with a dealer, but possibly more expensive than a trusted seller?
evsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 03:18 AM   #26
evsnow
"TRF" Member

I am becoming more intrigued by the 116509 in light of the crazy LN prices. Any thoughts on pricing difference between the steel and blue dials? Seems like the steel maybe sells for a bit more.

Also, any thoughts on price difference from buying one of these from an AD vs. a trusted seller? PM seems like a good way to start building an AD relationship, but only at the right price. Thanks!
evsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2018, 08:54 PM   #27
FlGreenie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschultheis View Post

Two weeks ago I purchased my Z series 116509 white gold/black dial with racing red. I’m in love! I stalked it for approx three months using several different apps and websites in an effort to get a good price, which I believe I did. I purchased it on line and held my breath. As soon as it arrived I went to my local jeweler and had them go over it top to bottom, inside and out, to make sure everything was authentic, and then the jeweler offered to buy it from me for about $2k more than I paid! I thought about it if only to then go purchase another one but ultimately decided against it. Why take a chance and who has the time? What I discovered in my ‘hunt’ for finding the right watch at a right price was the balancing act between the ‘grade’ and the price. I paid a couple of grand more than what I could find the newer steel / ceramic version and to me, the extra couple of grand was worth it in consideration for white gold. It looks terrific and feels even better on my wrist. Good luck and happy hunting.

FlGreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 04:26 AM   #28
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameistaken View Post

GREAT piece! That’s a classy stunner
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 04:37 AM   #29
playmore009
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc, LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
Big fan of the 116509, in fact it is my daily wearer. If things get too rough, or I’m traveling, then I’ll switch watches.

I want that!

playmore009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 05:15 AM   #30
bman57
"TRF" Member

Rolex always worth it!
bman57 is offline   Reply With Quote