The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 March 2018, 02:23 PM   #31
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangajack View Post
The only negative I read was that people wished it was the Pepsi version. Well Rolex delivered and it looks beautiful. Now we have a group of sad sacks saying the color doesn’t match their perception of what they want it to be. Boo hoo.
To be fair, a lot of people who wanted a Coke said they wanted it with a true, saturated red, and many who wanted the Pepsi wanted a saturated red and blue that corrected the WG BLRO bezel. The disappointment at the continued quasi-pastel Pepsi is consistent with many people's stated desires.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 02:29 PM   #32
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I would have been much less excited about a coke. I never warmed up to the coke.
Old 22 March 2018, 02:34 PM   #33
ernie2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K+BLNR
I think Rolex has done a fantastic job with the SS Jubilee Pepsi. It is EXACTLY what I want in a watch.

I am sorry it is not EXACTLY what you wanted. Better luck next year.
ernie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 02:43 PM   #34
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
I do not usually defend Rolex, BUT

Give Rolex credit they released 5 GMT model if you count the Tudor and the new WG GMT Pepsi.

I really like them all......
avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 02:47 PM   #35
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
The photos I saw on Hodinkee say that it's basically a home run for Rolex with the new SS BLRO.

"First Take The Rolex GMT-Master II In Stainless Steel (VIDEO)
After years of waiting, Rolex fans finally have a new steel Pepsi GMT. And it's awesome."

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ro...teel-new-video

Here's their photo of the cranberry and grape watch as well. The colors sure look familiar. For now I'll stick with the Sky D.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 02:49 PM   #36
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
"After years of waiting, Rolex fans finally have a new steel Pepsi GMT. And it's awesome."
Provided they can obtain one.
Old 22 March 2018, 02:50 PM   #37
TacticaLCawacoL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sunray/Meteorite
OP: i almost agree with you at 100%.
And i don’t take « The Rolex Way » too personally.
Also i agree with the fact that what happened to the WG BLRO could happen the same « Rolex Way » with the Smurf, i just hope they will think about create some new blue sun-ray dial before they do it.

This watch brand which is my favorite of all time is all about something that misses. So you flip, so you buy again, and you sell, and then you buy again...
After 15 years doing it i have decided ( last year ) to reconsider my buying strategy because it was starting to annoy me in a certain way.
Now i will have 3 Rolex watches max and i buy some other brand to relax.
So i am not waiting any more after the executive office snail that decides what is the next 10 years move of the Rolie brand and i pick up the watch that songs to me without further questions.
I have accepted that « The Rolex Slow Motion Way » is the reason why their watches are what they are: great, reliables, resistants, valuables etc...

But today with the internet and all the new ways online to shop or to express our expectations, some other big brands are taking temperature before they come up with some new model, even at Basel... But Rolie doesn’t. Is it because they have so much money ? So they can keep doing what they want like a rainbow ( no date ) chrono ?

And what about the shortage of sport models ? Did you guys read their comments at the Rolie booth at Basel ? « We know about the shortage being an issue but we don’t want to talk about it. » Ok, no problem, we will buy Datejust but sounds highly top secret...

By the way i really like that new 126710BLRO and i think i am going to buy it if it is available one day...

16600/2005, 116233/2008, 214270/2014, 116234/2016, 116618LB/2017, 116200/2017, 118239/2017, 116622/2018, 326.30.40.50.02.001/2018.
TacticaLCawacoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:02 PM   #38
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I think Rolex hits a home run with the new SS Pepsi GMT. Awesome watch!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:09 PM   #39
george023
"TRF" Member

Anyone notice the crown logo in between the Swiss Made text at 6 o’clock? Not etched in the glass but on then dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
george023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:14 PM   #40
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
I want to love the new Pepsi GMT. But I just don't. The colors aren't right and the jubilee bracelet isn't working for me (I know SOME like it). It seems Rolex likes to make watches that leave us wanting for something slightly different, something more. That way, we'll buy now, but then we'll still buy something else in the future to scratch an itch. Brilliant.

In 2007, when the ceramic GMT came out in stainless steel with a black bezel, WISs started calling for a Coke or Pepsi in stainless steel.

So, in 2013, Rolex obliged---by giving us a two-color bezel. Just not a Pepsi or Coke. Don't get me wrong. The BLNR is a looker, its a seller. But it left many still wanting a Pepsi or Coke.

Then in 2014, Rolex gave us a Pepsi. But it was in white gold and the bezel colors received a lukewarm reception. However, some of us ponied up the big bucks for a precious metal watch when all we really wanted was a stainless steel Pepsi or Coke.

Now, in 2018, some will buy the new stainless steel Pepsi on a jubilee even if its not their choice bracelet and even if the bezel color isn't quite right. No oyster bracelet for the faithful. And to rub it in our faces, Rolex slightly changed the case so that you cannot put a stainless steel oyster on the new Pepsi. Wow, Rolex went out of their way to prevent us from making the watch we want.

So, here we are, more than ten years after the latest generation stainless steel ceramic GMT was introduced. And, after seeing the release of three two-color ceramic bezel watches, none of them are what the masses wants. Rolex, give us a freaking Pepsi or Coke in stainless steel on an oyster bracelet. Ten years wait is long enough.

All successful business do this. Apple withholds technology that people want, even though it exists. but make slight upgrades to their current models by still giving people a few things they want, but not everything. They even make subtle aesthetic changes each model so you need to buy a new accessory.

It’s genius.

P.s has no idea you couldn’t fit a SS oyster on the GMT. They must have done this to keep their WG buyers from losing their faith in the brand and their minds lol

Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 04:01 PM   #41
Reinhard in SA
"TRF" Member

I don't think I would have been too excited about the coke bezel, but I put my name down for a Pepsi.
Reinhard in SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 04:06 PM   #42
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Expectations like this make little sense. If Rolex or anyone made you the perfect watch in every way, why would you or anyone ever buy another?
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 04:08 PM   #43
hbryant130
"TRF" Member

With the pastel bezel colors, it will make a nice watch to wear on Easter Sunday, not so sure about the other 364 days. I'm happy with the 16710 with all three bezel inserts to choose from.
hbryant130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 05:03 PM   #44
benzng
"TRF" Member

if I have the 16710 or Batman I see no reason why to get this but I don't have a GMT yet so time to call my AD :)
benzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 05:08 PM   #45
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
GMT belongs on jubilee IMO. Anyway if you want interchangability 6 in 1 there is always the 16710
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 05:08 PM   #46
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
The photos I saw on Hodinkee say that it's basically a home run for Rolex with the new SS BLRO.

"First Take The Rolex GMT-Master II In Stainless Steel (VIDEO)
After years of waiting, Rolex fans finally have a new steel Pepsi GMT. And it's awesome."

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ro...teel-new-video

Here's their photo of the cranberry and grape watch as well. The colors sure look familiar. For now I'll stick with the Sky D.

Nice
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 05:29 PM   #47
Saturninus
"TRF" Member

Rolex is saving the real Pepsi for a rainy day. Why give the masses what they want when the market is so hot they will buy anything you tease them with?

When there starts to be softness in the market again, they will roll out the real Pepsi and reignite the market.
Saturninus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:16 AM   #48
Brandon -B-
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot Seastar1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturninus View Post
Rolex is saving the real Pepsi for a rainy day. Why give the masses what they want when the market is so hot they will buy anything you tease them with?

When there starts to be softness in the market again, they will roll out the real Pepsi and reignite the market.

They just did release the Pepsi everyone wanted. Only it says Tudor on it.

Seriously I would be 100% in on the Rolex Pepsi but the Tudor has me heavily rethinking that.

Brandon -B- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:40 AM   #49
Saturninus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon -B- View Post
They just did release the Pepsi everyone wanted. Only it says Tudor on it.

Seriously I would be 100% in on the Rolex Pepsi but the Tudor has me heavily rethinking that.

I agree. Of the sub-species of BLRO that are now out there, I like the Tudor the best. But I am also sure that a lot of people who will not get the Tudor because it is not a Rolex.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Saturninus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:00 AM   #50
soundwave
"TRF" Member

Agree about the colors - not the right shades for me

soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:01 AM   #51
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Masses aside, you don't like the new Pepsi at alllll...nothing, it's all wrong...yes or no?

If they released it on an oyster that wasn't interchangeable, all the jubilee heads would also be on here throwing a fit. Sadly, Rolex is not one size fits all, but you can't deny that it fits mosts.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:02 AM   #52
thomaswentworth
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610 Sub
No Soup for YOU worked pretty well for the soup guy on Seinfeld. lol
thomaswentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 10:51 AM   #53
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
It's called the 16710
I was kind of thinking this! 12 years on and it can be black, pepsi, coke, oyster or jubilee.

I remember back in the day the AD would make it like you wanted it. I remember when I got my GMT 2 in 1992 they put a sub clasped bracelet on mine because that is what I wanted. Things have certainly changed.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:28 AM   #54
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dera View Post
You guys do realize next year's Basel release will be the Sub in this same case?
I don't think so. Because then it would be possible to put an oyster bracelet on the new SS Pepsi, and it would look like the WG Pepsi--which Rolex was trying to prevent.

Does anyone have a good picture of the two GMT cases next to each other?
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:29 AM   #55
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
It's called the 16710
LMAO. Good point. Perfect watch might be the oyster glidelock bracelet on the 5-digit GMT case.
Old 23 March 2018, 12:01 PM   #56
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDyl View Post
Amen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS Real Estate View Post
Yep!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
Well said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jets View Post
Well said +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird90 View Post
I don't completely agree with everything you've said, but you did mention some pretty good points there.
Thanks, guys! Just trying to provide a little context and humor to Rolex moves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrejb View Post
All successful business do this. Apple withholds technology that people want, even though it exists. but make slight upgrades to their current models by still giving people a few things they want, but not everything. They even make subtle aesthetic changes each model so you need to buy a new accessory.
Good point on some Apple similarities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Rolex is the master at the game for a reason and has done it long enough. I am sure they know how to move the brand anywhere they want to.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I think you take this too personally.
Not at all. I tried to reflect the non-scientific anecdotal data collected which indicate the majority here (but not everyone) prefer an oyster bracelet and bezel colors closer to the aluminum bezel models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie2 View Post
I think Rolex has done a fantastic job with the SS Jubilee Pepsi. It is EXACTLY what I want in a watch.

I am sorry it is not EXACTLY what you wanted. Better luck next year.

Quote:
Precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLCawacoL View Post
O
This watch brand which is my favorite of all time is all about something that misses.
And they are good at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLCawacoL View Post
O
Did you guys read their comments at the Rolie booth at Basel ? « We know about the shortage being an issue but we don’t want to talk about it. 
Wait! What?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Expectations like this make little sense. If Rolex or anyone made you the perfect watch in every way, why would you or anyone ever buy another?
Anecdotally, I think most people on the board screaming for a new SS GMT wanted a Pepsi or Coke with Oyster. I don't think its unreasonable to expect/hope Rolex to provide such at some point. And I don't think it would stop those customers from buying future watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
If they released it on an oyster that wasn't interchangeable, all the jubilee heads would also be on here throwing a fit. Sadly, Rolex is not one size fits all, but you can't deny that it fits mosts.
I do deny that it fits most. My non-scientific data gathering here () indicate that more people here wanted an oyster than a jubilee. The GMT is more closely associated with the oyster than the jubilee over the past half dozen decades.
Old 23 March 2018, 12:09 PM   #57
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
No one really knows yet if you cannot put a stainless steel oyster bracelet on it. Just like you can put a DJ jubilee on any 11671x

People want to believe you can't ....

I bet you can
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 01:00 PM   #58
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I think you take this too personally.

To quote John Lydgate: "You can please some of the people all of the time, all the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."
I was thinking of that same quote; this game is all about opinions, and tho we are all basically so like-minded to be here together, it is good and healthy that we have some disagreements and debates.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 01:17 PM   #59
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I'm a Pep-C fan, have been since 2014. I just wonder now that it's in steel, if the colors will be more palatable for the "masses".
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 01:31 PM   #60
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
To quote John Lydgate: "You can please some of the people all of the time, all the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."
You left off the most important part: "...but none of that matters, as long as Rolex pleases me of all the time."