The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2018, 05:45 AM   #1
Dhiren
"TRF" Member

Rolex a Jeweleer or a watch maker .........and why the SS tool watches are not to

Was on a plane testerday on my way back from Dubai and seated next to me was a man from the diamond trade based out of Surat in India,and we got talking about how India is the largest base in the world for diamond cutting and polishing and exports almost 90 % of the worlds small and medium size Diamonds.

He mentioned that his firm is among the top 3 export houses based out of India

Out of curiosity I asked him who was the worlds largest consumer of polished and cut diamonds in the world of the sizes that india exports
His answer shocked me ...... the Swiss watch industry ..... Rolex on top of the list!

Naturally the mention of Rolex got my juices going!

I was surprised to learn from this gentleman that his largest buyer was Rolex,through some large diamond house based out of Antwerp

I never realized this earlier but according to him 65% of watches that Rolex makes and sells are for women !! And of this 65% nearly 70% of the watches sold are with diamonds in some form or the other !! I looked at him in disbelief and then realized the enormity of this.

I was informed that Rolex is so busy and so deeply involved in making its ladies watches with diamonds ,precious metals etc that is targeted at women as a piece of jewelry that is functional as a watch that Just 35 % of their production is targeted at us Men !

And then it occurred to me that between the PM ,TT and Other watches like the OP ,DJ for men all of which are huge money spinners for Rolex ,why and when will they find time to devote to the watches that we members of this forum seek?
Dhiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:49 AM   #2
Dhiren
"TRF" Member

..... and why the SS tool watches not available at the AD

Sorry about the title of the thread
Dhiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:50 AM   #3
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
I would strongly doubt his estimates
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:58 AM   #4
thomaswentworth
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610 Sub
Interesting... but you have to wonder where he got those statistics. I have stated previously that I read somewhere awhile back that 2tone ladies DateJusts and 2 tone men's DateJusts are the biggest sellers in the secondary market.

Is it possible that the average Joe or Jane consumer (who doesn't come to TRF) really doesn't care as much about the Professional line of watches? I think so. They want a Rolex.

But be that as it may, Rolex is really doing some very intelligent things regarding supply and demand on the watches that are and will be collectible - the Professional line. I also think the buyers of the Subs, Dayonas, GMTs, etc. are the most loyal of the Rolex enthusiasts; the most excited; and the most likely to spread the word online about Rolex watches via TRF, IG, FB, etc.

Those of us who are in love with the sports watches are really good marketing tools. We are 3rd party endorsements of the brand and that means a lot online. It means much more than google reviews or yelp reviews. People going on and on all day long on TRF about Rolex has probably helped significantly. I wonder what the values were doing before watch forums really got going online. I am fairly certain that the vintage and antique sports watch market for Rolex has risen exponentially due to the internet and the forums such as TRF.

If someone does any amount of research for Rolex, they will find TRF and they will walk away from their experience thinking that Rolex is absolutely amazing. Then they will probably (Joe and Jane average consumer) end up going in to an AD and buying a 2 tone DJ... after all, it's what's in the case and the price points are pretty nice.

Rolex wants there to be a buzz. They want there to be controversy on hard to get watches. Hard to get causes one to infer there is just not enough supply.

I find it interesting that the Chinese seem to be able to hammer out tens of millions of fakes every year, but Rolex allegedly cannot keep up with the demand? That is pure hogwash. They are choosing to keep demand high and supply limited. It really works to their benefit. And I think they are geniuses for doing it that way. Cheers
thomaswentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 06:19 AM   #5
Jsanders1985
"TRF" Member

Those numbers seem WAY off.
Jsanders1985 is offline   Reply With Quote