The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 February 2018, 05:14 AM   #1
jasonsensation
Banned

First time buyer requires ££ advice

I'm looking for some advice! I have the opportunity to get a Black Ceramic GMT on Interest Free Finance over 2 years, with only a 10% Deposit. Now another ''up'', is also the fact the Authorised Dealer is not keeping the warranty/papers etc.
My overall Goal is to own the much sought after GMT Batman, however it would mean placing a deposit with a different store, and i would need to take out a Personal loan resulting in paying back huge amounts of interest. At what point is it better to buy the black ceramic now, and be content with that instead of getting the Batman and probably end up paying back £1,500 in Interest over 5 years.
jasonsensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 05:17 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
It is better to get the watch you want the most.

How you are able to do that is up to you although most here would advise against borrowing to finance high end luxury jewelry with interest.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 05:19 AM   #3
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Hello

Is it safe to assume that the store with the Batman doesn't offer free finance over a year or two???

I hope other people chime in....

I myself, wouldn't buy a watch that I'm not absolutely happy with. At the end of the day you're going to spend a lot of money on the black gmt, and it's not really something you want, since it's the Batman that you're after.

I wonder if you can wait it out to buy the Batman without having to pull out a loan. I'm not sure if they will be discontinued or anything like that, so.... that's also a tough call.
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 05:19 AM   #4
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

All black is cooler. Batman over-rated. Go for Black!
DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 05:25 AM   #5
jasonsensation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Hello

Is it safe to assume that the store with the Batman doesn't offer free finance over a year or two???

I hope other people chime in....

I myself, wouldn't buy a watch that I'm not absolutely happy with. At the end of the day you're going to spend a lot of money on the black gmt, and it's not really something you want, since it's the Batman that you're after.

I wonder if you can wait it out to buy the Batman without having to pull out a loan. I'm not sure if they will be discontinued or anything like that, so.... that's also a tough call.

I would be paying so much more back in interest if i go the route of the Batman as the store does not offer Interest free Finance, but if i take the Black GMT i'd pay no interest at all with this dealer! Part of me feels buy the Black ceramic now...
Old 8 February 2018, 05:28 AM   #6
thewolfofmiddlesex
"TRF" Member

I agree, all black is much nicer imho .. to me it has a much more timeless look.
Re financing, consider a 0% balance transfer credit card if you really want the blue from the other AD where I presume they don't offer the 0%. Then buy it on another credit card and transfer the balance to the 0% card. There are plenty available that offer 0% over 3 years for a 3.5% (or even less) one off balance transfer fee... Considerably cheaper than a loan (about £210 fee in total over the 3 years assuming watch costs £6k). Just make sure you pay the regular payments on the CC though.

Last edited by thewolfofmiddlesex; 8 February 2018 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: Grammar
thewolfofmiddlesex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 05:30 AM   #7
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Is using an interest free credit card not an option? Might be worth considering although please be sure that you can clear it down before interest charges kick in!
ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 05:31 AM   #8
jasonsensation
Banned

Batman total cost would be £7600 which i'd take out over 5 years. However the Black GMT would be £6,200 and i'd be paid off within 2 years.
Old 8 February 2018, 05:31 AM   #9
jasonsensation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikincooper View Post
Is using an interest free credit card not an option? Might be worth considering although please be sure that you can clear it down before interest charges kick in!
They are quite difficult to get in the UK. Bit like the Batman's themselves
Old 8 February 2018, 05:33 AM   #10
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsensation View Post
They are quite difficult to get in the UK. Bit like the Batman's themselves
Dang haha

That was going to be my next suggestion.

This one is tough OP.
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 05:36 AM   #11
jasonsensation
Banned

I want a Batman, but i'm not paying £1,100 in interest when i can get a Black GMT tomorrow, on interest free Finance.
Old 8 February 2018, 05:37 AM   #12
jasonsensation
Banned

Another thing is, shall i wait until after Baselworld? If the Coke finally gets released. There will be bountiful amounts of Batmans haha
Old 8 February 2018, 05:41 AM   #13
adg31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Batman total cost would be £7600 which i'd take out over 5 years. However the Black GMT would be £6,200 and i'd be paid off within 2 years.

Then you'd flip the GMT NR for the BLNR and end up paying even more.
Go for the one you want - it's cheaper in the long term and you get what you want sooner!
Just my £0.02:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 05:44 AM   #14
hannism
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Jason, I was in a similar situation.

I talked to my AD on Saturday, and he had the Black Bezel GMT, but not the Batman.

The cost difference for me was $500.

I said I'd wait for the Batman, which came in today.

However, as much as I prefer the Batman, if I was in a similar position to you, I would get the black GMT and call it a day at the deal you are getting.

YMMV, but business wise, getting the black bezel makes more sense.
hannism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 05:46 AM   #15
hannism
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Now another ''up'', is also the fact the Authorised Dealer is not keeping the warranty/papers etc.
This is the only thing that bothers me.
hannism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 05:52 AM   #16
jasonsensation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannism View Post
Jason, I was in a similar situation.

I talked to my AD on Saturday, and he had the Black Bezel GMT, but not the Batman.

The cost difference for me was $500.

I said I'd wait for the Batman, which came in today.

However, as much as I prefer the Batman, if I was in a similar position to you, I would get the black GMT and call it a day at the deal you are getting.

YMMV, but business wise, getting the black bezel makes more sense.
This is where the predicament is. If i go for the Batman, it'll be an extra £1,100 and the loan will be for FIVE years. If i get the GMT tomorrow, I can be paid up in 2 years, and looking to buy an explorer 1 after that, or even a car/alterations to my house

As much as i love the Batman, the black GMT seem's a better deal
Old 8 February 2018, 05:53 AM   #17
tlbarrs
"TRF" Member

Jason if you don’t go for the Batman could you please pm where it is mate ��
tlbarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 05:53 AM   #18
jasonsensation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannism View Post
This is the only thing that bothers me.
What is bothering you with that statement. I simply meant it is a positive, meaning i could in theory sell the Black GMT if i want to after a few months.
Old 8 February 2018, 05:57 AM   #19
jasonsensation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbarrs View Post
Jason if you don’t go for the Batman could you please pm where it is mate ��
It isn't anywhere, i'm on several waiting lists. Who knows how long it will be, i've got a deal here for a Black GMT Interest free over 2 years. And i'm in two minds about what to do.
Old 8 February 2018, 06:04 AM   #20
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
I know I’m going to get flamed by this, but in my opinion, wait until you can buy and not finance .................. at any rate ! Until that time comes, you’re not ready for a luxury watch. Again, just my opinion.

Old 8 February 2018, 06:07 AM   #21
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Interest free is OK but not for a watch you don't love. Don't compromise; save up for the BLNR and don't buy it with interest.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 06:09 AM   #22
jasonsensation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Interest free is OK but not for a watch you don't love. Don't compromise; save up for the BLNR and don't buy it with interest.
It would take me years to save up the money to buy a BLNR outright. It would be a pointless exercise, shamefully
Old 8 February 2018, 06:12 AM   #23
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
It would take me years to save up the money to buy a BLNR outright. It would be a pointless exercise, shamefully
If you can live with the LN then OK; how much will it ultimately cost you to buy the BLNR when all is said and done?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 06:15 AM   #24
jasonsensation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
If you can live with the LN then OK; how much will it ultimately cost you to buy the BLNR when all is said and done?
Probably an extra £1,400. And it would be over five years, instead of two as with the Black GMT
Old 8 February 2018, 06:25 AM   #25
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
If you’re looking to spend that much on a watch, you must be a hard worker. And if you work hard, you deserve to get what you want! If you really want the BLNR, I say get it. Paying a little extra is a small price to pay for getting something you love. Life is to short to settle. I know you aren’t American, but here in the states, we finance EVERYTHING. So for me, it’s an easy choice. Good luck.
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 06:28 AM   #26
jasonsensation
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperez3 View Post
If you’re looking to spend that much on a watch, you must be a hard worker. And if you work hard, you deserve to get what you want! If you really want the BLNR, I say get it. Paying a little extra is a small price to pay for getting something you love. Life is to short to settle. I know you aren’t American, but here in the states, we finance EVERYTHING. So for me, it’s an easy choice. Good luck.
Cheers dude! There's also the factor, i'm still waiting for a BLNR! It could be months or even years until i get offered one! Meanwhile this week i have a good offer of a Black GMT on Interest free credit
Old 8 February 2018, 06:31 AM   #27
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
I know I’m going to get flamed by this, but in my opinion, wait until you can buy and not finance .................. at any rate ! Until that time comes, you’re not ready for a luxury watch. Again, just my opinion.

X2
Old 8 February 2018, 06:34 AM   #28
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
Ugh! I see. Man that’s a tough decision. I guess I would get the black gmt because you never know when the BLNR will be available. Either way, they are both stunning and you can’t go wrong. If both were available, I say get the BLNR, but since they aren’t, 0% financing is a great deal. Don’t forget pics when you decide.
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 06:38 AM   #29
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Cheers dude! There's also the factor, i'm still waiting for a BLNR! It could be months or even years until i get offered one! Meanwhile this week i have a good offer of a Black GMT on Interest free credit
Yes, but when the time comes the resale may not cover the loan. If I was you, I’d seriously not get the LN. Buying a temporary watch never works as you always think what could have been. If an extra grand is a deal breaker, maybe 6k on a watch is not the best idea. I’m not being funny, but just thinking about your comments. There are some absolutely fantastic watches for half that price (Tudor/omega etc.)

As someone who has done it however, don’t buy a watch to scratch an itch for another. It never really works, no matter what the financials.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 06:42 AM   #30
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I would never recommend taking out a loan to buy a watch. These are luxury goods that should be purchased with extra funds after all other needs are met. Taking out a loan to purchase one indicates that perhaps it’s not the right time to buy one.

Just my opinion. I judge not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk