The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 February 2018, 08:35 AM   #91
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
The letter.
We need to see the letter.

Alternately.
One could grind the serial numbers off the watch case and movement like one would with an ill gotten fire arm.
That way Rolex can't track the watch's history. EVER.
clearly a letter of this magnitude issued by one of the most secretive companies in the world would be set to self-distruct mission impossible style after it had been opened. Thus removing any evidence it ever happened. You should know that
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 08:43 AM   #92
tufty
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ II, Exp II
So,
If the Ad you've done all your business with goes out of business/rolex pulls the plug on them, does your buying history still cut any ice with other ad"s, can they find that out?
tufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 08:46 AM   #93
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
clearly a letter of this magnitude issued by one of the most secretive companies in the world would be set to self-distruct mission impossible style after it had been opened. Thus removing any evidence it ever happened. You should know that
Yes I know that.
I was just spreading confusion and doubt around the subject.

In my previous life I was known as the International Man of Mystery, Baaybie.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 08:46 AM   #94
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufty View Post
So,
If the Ad you've done all your business with goes out of business/rolex pulls the plug on them, does your buying history still cut any ice with other ad"s, can they find that out?
OP got denied for a white ceramic daytona at a different AD than where he got his first one (black). The AD didn't know he had a daytona already, Rolex did and told the AD they couldn't sell it to him. So individual AD's dont matter if the info is known by the mothership and the AD has to get clearance from them before selling it.
Old 11 February 2018, 08:48 AM   #95
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
i agree with the multiple purchases of the same reference as it gives others a better shot where as someone is already on their second. Two watches per year across all professional watches is my issue... if that part is true.
We want good customers, not great ones
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 08:54 AM   #96
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
So,
Only if you buy another Rolex.

You actually need to completely drop out of the system.
Cash only no bank accounts, Faraday cages around your inconspicuous hide out, False passports, etc, etc.
This day and age with widespread implementation of Facial recognition cameras you need to do the Ethan hunt thing and wear a mask to completely hide your facial features.
Perhaps even work on constantly altering your gate but be consistent the whole time you go out and about.
That thing Kevin Spacey did acting like a cripple in The Usual Suspects won't cut it in the long term.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 08:57 AM   #97
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
It could just be something as simple as keeping their records of your contact details up to date.

My local sends me things in the mail from time to time and it's always a very pleasant surprise.

Calenders, the Rolex magazine and letters of upcoming events, etc.

Nothing sinister about it.

Absolutely. And they do mail me too.

But it would be very simple for the UK dealer network to advise Rolex who is buying what watch.

Most UK purchases are credit or debit card. It’s very rare to use cash for anything of that magnitude (unlike the US from what I read on here)

Personally I don’t have an issue with Rolex knowing what I bought from their AD network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 08:58 AM   #98
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyboy View Post
I did not flip it

im wearing it now

#justsaying
Pic with your TRF user name
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 09:09 AM   #99
tufty
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ II, Exp II
so can other AD's see you buying history?
tufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 09:09 AM   #100
thomaswentworth
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610 Sub
I think it is a good marketing strategy by Rolex to make watches difficult to acquire. It makes wanting one eat at you. And the disappointment of being told no will often encourage someone to try harder and think about Rolex more and more. They have you right where they want you. Begging them to let you give them your money.
thomaswentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 09:11 AM   #101
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
so can other AD's see you buying history?
i doubt it. More efficient to funnel info up to a central source than having it flying laterally in multiple directions among AD's
Old 11 February 2018, 09:29 AM   #102
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i doubt it. More efficient to funnel info up to a central source than having it flying laterally in multiple directions among AD's
It soon will be included in your credit score for everyone to see!!
Did you guys receive the letter about that in the mail?
Old 11 February 2018, 09:33 AM   #103
33JS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 50th Ann
People will believe any old crap! Your average AD gets a few professional model Rolex each year. Tiny compared to the volume of other pieces going out the door. Their business is not based on SS Rolex so all this Mission Impossible stuff is rubbish lapped up by watch geeks. AD's must laugh themselves sick!!!
33JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 09:38 AM   #104
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Pretty soon it will be:

1) fingerprint scan
2) retinal scan
3) couple drops of blood

When u buy a Rolex !!

Hahahahaha :)

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 09:59 AM   #105
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Absolutely. And they do mail me too.

But it would be very simple for the UK dealer network to advise Rolex who is buying what watch.

Most UK purchases are credit or debit card. It’s very rare to use cash for anything of that magnitude (unlike the US from what I read on here)

Personally I don’t have an issue with Rolex knowing what I bought from their AD network.

And you have no issue with all Rolex AD's having your buying information.

Including your neighbour next door (he works for an AD and you hate him ) and all his friends who now also have details of all your transactions.

Rolex must take the responsibility for this serious data breach.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 10:06 AM   #106
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
I love Rolex and I always have .. I think they make the greatest watches in the world (not the finest, but the greatest) .. As much as I love the brand, Rolex can still infuriate me at times .. There was a time when we could buy a Rolex and if a few years later we wanted a diamond dial, we could buy one from Rolex and have them install it during it's service .. Now I am of the understanding that you can't do that anymore .. So if you spend 10,900 for a brand new 116233 without a diamond dial, you can't buy one from Rolex and have it installed when you have your watch serviced .. You can change colors, but you can't get diamonds .... Now customers are being told they can only buy a certain number of watches (certain model? does it really matter?) Perhaps Rolex doesn't want people to buy watches and flip them .. Who are they to tell me what I can and can't do with MY watch?? The way I see it, once I pay for the watch, and my name or company name goes on the warranty card, the watch is MINE, I and I ALONE am the owner of the watch .. Not Rolex and I .. ONLY ME .. I don't rent my watches from Rolex,
nor to I finance the purchase of my watches .. I own the bloody thing the moment I walk out of the AD with it .. If I want to flip it, or stand on my head and sing yankee doodle or even give it away to a stranger holding up a "will work for food sign" I should be free to do it .. Same with adding diamonds

Anyway, whatever .. I don't care .. I'm actually feeling worse than last night, perhaps that is why reading this thread upset me a little
Old 11 February 2018, 10:42 AM   #107
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
One word......Speedmaster
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 11:33 AM   #108
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I do remember Neil specifically months ago talking a lot about Rolex tracking down grey watches and linking them back to the original owners and the AD's who sold them. Rolex was then pushing hard on the AD's to stop selling to flippers making AD's very nervous selling anything to anyone they didn't know well. No one believed him outside of the UK members and still some were skeptical. It was true and i think this is too. It all fits, plus its been confirmed by at least 3 members so far.
Indeed, I first heard about this from ADs, you too I think, and from some who were also members here so their word was gold, and that was when my sympathy for the ADs began to increase as they were becoming a scapegoat for the grey market not the flippers as Rolex couldn't go after the end user efficiently... but sadly this is the obvious next step, once you've bought one they have you and can decide how many more you get.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 11:42 AM   #109
M1911a2
Banned

Rolex somewhat track down watches on grey market and see whos name and which AD is responsible for those watches. I can definitely assure you that somehow Rolex thinks you are flippin or the AD is held responsible. Whether or not you arent.
M1911a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 11:50 AM   #110
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

After buying two DJs last July/August my AD happened to have a Daytona in for collection by its owner and showed it to us. He said the waiting list for Daytonas was CLOSED in the UK.

Has this now changed, and it's opened again?
DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 02:51 PM   #111
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
So what if David Smith buys a SubC and then David Smith buys a Daytona, but they’re not the same David Smith?
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 04:18 PM   #112
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Pic with your TRF user name
Not too sure how I implied I flipped it in my op...
I do understand the lack of "trust" in my word tho, it is possible I'm just a troublesome troll I suppose!
But as this suggestion seems to clear up the dispute, its an easy fix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20180211_061447.jpg (199.9 KB, 250 views)
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 06:04 PM   #113
adg31
"TRF" Member

Rolex uk seem to have introduced even more rules......

The solution would appear to be to wait until after May 2018 when the GDPR comes into force and then contact Rolex and its AD network and ask to see what information they hold on you.
If you want them to 'forget' this then you would ask to be deleted.
Were you to then go into an AD to buy a third Rolex SS sports watch it would be interesting to see what happens.
As I understand it, if they have retained your data they would be in breach of the GDPR and subject to significant fines via the Information Commissioners Office.
Certainly one for any solicitors / barristers out there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
adg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 06:09 PM   #114
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
The solution would appear to be to wait until after May 2018 when the GDPR comes into force and then contact Rolex and its AD network and ask to see what information they hold on you.
If you want them to 'forget' this then you would ask to be deleted.
Were you to then go into an AD to buy a third Rolex SS sports watch it would be interesting to see what happens.
As I understand it, if they have retained your data they would be in breach of the GDPR and subject to significant fines via the Information Commissioners Office.
Certainly one for any solicitors / barristers out there!

the right to be deleted isnt a blanket right, there are conditions. From my reading the business has a right to collect the data and you have to meet many conditions to qualify to be forgotten.

https://gdpr-info.eu/art-17-gdpr/

For example, say you want your bank to forget you because you owe money. You are their customer and they have a need to know your information.

Also, in 2019 that EU law would no longer apply when the UK leaves the EU, so its probably a moot point. and anyone who has tried to utilize EU261 to get compensation for flight cancelation/delays with airlines knows that there are so many loopholes airlines use in order to avoid paying their obligation under the rule regardless of what the rule says, i suspect this is no different. BA uses the "extraordinary circumstances" loophole to avoid compliance with the rule when aircraft are in for routine maintenance and they need to cancel flights.
Old 11 February 2018, 06:48 PM   #115
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
OP can you tell us which AD chain this was please.

I've been asked by Northern Goldsmiths to update my info to check that I'm not on more than one list.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 06:56 PM   #116
adg31
"TRF" Member

Rolex uk seem to have introduced even more rules......

Quote:
the right to be deleted isnt a blanket right, there are conditions. From my reading the business has a right to collect the data and you have to meet many conditions to qualify to be forgotten.

https://gdpr-info.eu/art-17-gdpr/

For example, say you want your bank to forget you because you owe money. You are their customer and they have a need to know your information.

Also, in 2019 that EU law would no longer apply when the UK leaves the EU, so its probably a moot point. and anyone who has tried to utilize EU261 to get compensation for flight cancelation/delays with airlines knows that there are so many loopholes airlines use in order to avoid paying their obligation under the rule regardless of what the rule says, i suspect this is no different. BA uses the "extraordinary circumstances" loophole to avoid compliance with the rule when aircraft are in for routine maintenance and they need to cancel flights.

Interesting but having bought a watch from an independent AD:
a. your contract is with the AD not with Rolex SA.
b. you don't owe Rolex anything as you are not trading with them.
On this basis, why would Rolex need to know anything about you?
It would therefore hinge on you having given Rolex explicit consent to hold any data on you and for them to then share this information with their independent AD network.
I can't recall having ever given this and, under GDPR, implied consent is not enough.

Old 11 February 2018, 07:00 PM   #117
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But having bought a watch from an independent AD:
a. your contract is with the AD not with Rolex SA.
b. you don't owe Rolex anything as you are not trading with them.
On this basis, why would Rolex need to know anything about you?
It would therefore hinge on you having given Rolex explicit consent to hold any data on you and for them to then share this information with their independent AD network.
I can't recall having ever given this and, under GDPR, implied consent is not enough.

i dont think Rolex does anything with out their team of lawyers. They are by far the most litigious watch company in know of. I highly doubt they would do anything without a high degree of confidence they can win a legal challenge. Good luck fighting them though.

Also an allocation by Rolex to the customer could be implied as doing business with Rolex directly with the AD being the middle man. That is different than a watch in the AD's case that they can sell to whoever. An allocation is directly from Rolex to the customer via AD. Just a thought. I had a similar situation with my 5524. Patek allocated it to me directly before it ever went to the AD so they couldn't sell it to anyone but me. The AD was just the intermediary. I personally felt as though it was doing business with Patek directly rather than my AD because the AD had no say in the deal.
Old 11 February 2018, 07:04 PM   #118
sun-dail
Banned

Watch: Rolex, Omega
I think it;s time to make a switch to Patek
sun-dail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 07:06 PM   #119
adg31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i dont think Rolex does anything with out their team of lawyers. They are by far the most litigious watch company in know of. I highly doubt they would do anything without a high degree of confidence they can win a legal challenge. Good luck fighting them though.

Also an allocation by Rolex to the customer could be implied as doing business with Rolex directly with the AD being the middle man. That is different than a watch in the AD's case that they can sell to whoever. An allocation is directly from Rolex to the customer via AD. Just a thought. I had a similar situation with my 5524. Patek allocated it to me directly before it ever went to the AD so they couldn't sell it to anyone but me. The AD was just the intermediary. I personally felt as though it was doing business with Patek directly rather than my AD and the AD had no say in the deal.

When I had a problem with my DJ TT last year Rolex were keen to point out that my contract was with their AD not with them. I'm not sure that even Rolex can have it both ways!

Old 11 February 2018, 07:12 PM   #120
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When I had a problem with my DJ TT last year Rolex were keen to point out that my contract was with their AD not with them. I'm not sure that even Rolex can have it both ways!

i agree they like to have it both ways... however I also assume they could just have you sign a consent before offering a good for sale or chose not sell it to you. You have to agree or you don't get the good as they have the right to refuse sales if they wish.

I just think they know what they are doing and will probably prevail, unfortunately. Im not sticking up for them, just accepting the reality that unless buyers go on strike and boycott then they can get away with whatever they want.