The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 February 2018, 07:57 AM   #1
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

To Flip, or Not to Flip?

Hi TRFers. I'm in the midst of a quandary, and I'm hoping for some solid advice:

I've had my Sub 114060 for almost a year now, and while I have been fully enjoying my time with it, lately I find myself craving something a bit more unique. Ive always been drawn to the BLNR, and I'm on the list for one at a local AD, which I've been told should be available with in the next 2-3 months. Thing is adding it in addition to my 114060 is definitely not an option. I would have to trade the Sub, plus cash to make the switch. I just don't know if I'd regret it down the road.

Arguments for: date/gmt function, I love the unique black/blue bezel, I've grown to like the pcl's so much that I think I actually prefer them to the bcl's, although the glidelock is great I dont use it much (and never change it more than 5mm), I've tried the BLNR on once before and preferred the fit/case dimensions to the Sub, its more unique...and probably the main reason (although I told myself when I got the Sub that I wouldn't let it bother me) I'm getting tired of seeing the Sub on so many wrists every day.

Arguments against: Is the additional cost worth it?, sentimental value of the Sub being my first Rolex, the simplicity of setting the time on the Sub and forgetting it, the clean dial of the Sub, I noticed a lot of people on this forum seem to lose their infatuation with the BLNR and end up flipping it, while the gmt function would be useful it's not something I can't live without...and finally, my Sub has been accurate to the second since I got it (with some light self regulation)

If I do end up trading, how much should I expect to pay over the trade value? If it's over 2.5-3k then I will probably pass regardless (I have full set, box and papers, great condition)

One last option may also be to trade the 114060 for a 116710ln. Would be less of a hit monetarily, but I really think I'd prefer the BLNR if I can swing it.

Sorry for the incredibly long winded post, and for those that stuck with it, I genuinely value and appreciate your help. Thanks all!
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 08:01 AM   #2
jlevitt9
"TRF" Member

Good post. Reality is "something new" will always be on the horizon...the grass is always greener, right?

I own a 14060 and love it. For me, I don't have the finances to add another watch right now, so I fulfill my cravings for a new watch with NATO, Perlon, leather and other straps. The 114060 is so versatile, you can toss a new strap on it and really change the look.

I'm not in your head, but me thinks you'd have the same feeling with the BLNR eventually. Regardless, don't settle for the 116710ln. It's not what you really want. Good luck!
jlevitt9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 08:01 AM   #3
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largoshark View Post
Hi TRFers. I'm in the midst of a quandary, and I'm hoping for some solid advice:

I've had my Sub 114060 for almost a year now, and while I have been fully enjoying my time with it, lately I find myself craving something a bit more unique. Ive always been drawn to the BLNR, and I'm on the list for one at a local AD, which I've been told should be available with in the next 2-3 months. Thing is adding it in addition to my 114060 is definitely not an option. I would have to trade the Sub, plus cash to make the switch. I just don't know if I'd regret it down the road.

Arguments for: date/gmt function, I love the unique black/blue bezel, I've grown to like the pcl's so much that I think I actually prefer them to the bcl's, although the glidelock is great I dont use it much (and never change it more than 5mm), I've tried the BLNR on once before and preferred the fit/case dimensions to the Sub, its more unique...and probably the main reason (although I told myself when I got the Sub that I wouldn't let it bother me) I'm getting tired of seeing the Sub on so many wrists every day.

Arguments against: Is the additional cost worth it?, sentimental value of the Sub being my first Rolex, the simplicity of setting the time on the Sub and forgetting it, the clean dial of the Sub, I noticed a lot of people on this forum seem to lose their infatuation with the BLNR and end up flipping it, while the gmt function would be useful it's not something I can't live without...and finally, my Sub has been accurate to the second since I got it (with some light self regulation)

If I do end up trading, how much should I expect to pay over the trade value? If it's over 2.5-3k then I will probably pass regardless (I have full set, box and papers, great condition)

One last option may also be to trade the 114060 for a 116710ln. Would be less of a hit monetarily, but I really think I'd prefer the BLNR if I can swing it.

Sorry for the incredibly long winded post, and for those that stuck with it, I genuinely value and appreciate your help. Thanks all!
I would try to sell the Sub privately for as much as you can. You will not get $7.5k trade in value from an AD. You should be able to get $7k for a full set. You would have to add about $2.7k given that you're in LA and the tax is 9.25%. Also if you're set on the BLNR I would sell the Sub asap. Right now the used price is really close to retail. This may not last forever.

Also do not "settle" for the LN. In that case I would keep the Sub. The bi-color bezel really is a huge part of what makes the GMT design so iconic. The BLNR is the much better choice in the long run. I've had my BLNR for over a year now and I love it as much as I did the first day I bought it. I wear the sucker daily.
Old 22 February 2018, 08:16 AM   #4
bdddubs925
Banned

Blnr will not be any better or worse than your sub. If getting from an ad maybe building that so called relationship is worth it. I have the blnr and the pcl’s suck. Look awesome but my hair scratches them. Keep da sub.
bdddubs925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 08:19 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Sounds like you a fancy a change which is inevitable on this forum, so BLNR is a good move, should not cost you too much.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 08:20 AM   #6
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Unless you sell privately there is a high likelihood you will need to put in more than $3k. My guess would be more like $5k. And not sure how easy it’s going to be to sell privately if you’ve never sold a watch before . Don’t expect prices you see listed in classified here for trusted sellers. If it’s definitely something you want though I would just keep on saving . Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 08:22 AM   #7
TRS1
"TRF" Member

I would keep it and save for the BLNR. I love the 114060.
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 09:25 AM   #8
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Keep your Sub. You like the colors of the bezel on the BLNR but you don’t seem to need a GMT or a date. No reason to throw money at a BLNR when you already have a great watch, that will wear pretty much the same as the GMT. If you need some blue and black wear blue socks with your black suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 09:26 AM   #9
ian6988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
Your 114060 might fetch around $6k-6.5k. It’s harder to sell close to MSRP if you don’t have a Trusted Seller rating, so you’ll most likely have to add more than $3k to purchase your BLNR at MSRP plus LA tax.

My recommendation is to keep the 114060. For me the Sub ND is more of a daily beater than the BLNR.
ian6988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 09:30 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Oh boy ... I’m the wrong guy to ask...

I’d consider flipping only if you’re 100% certain. If you haven’t seen the BLNR I definitely wouldn’t. Even then, it didn’t last for me and I flipped the BLNR after only 6 months or so. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great watch, but something about it just never really sang to me I would much prefer what you have but that’s maybe just me.

If at all possible I’d save and then add. That way, if you don’t like it you aren’t in a pickle where you feel like you need to sell just to have another nice watch.

Good luck whatever you decide
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 09:34 AM   #11
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I own both and the BLNR for me is the nicer of the two. Don’t get me wrong the 114060 is one of my favorite Subs but the BLNR is just one of those watches. The multi color bezel, the blue hand, GMT function and yes PCL bracelet work so well together. So if you keep your Sub you have a great Rolex and if you get a BLNR you have a great Rolex! Maybe to help enable a little I will post a pic since I wore it today.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 09:36 AM   #12
Coop13
Banned

Watch: SBGW231, SRP777
Maybe the grass is greener cause you’re not over there pi$$ing on it.
Coop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 09:57 AM   #13
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

I prefer the Sub, but it sounds like you want the BLNR. Go for it. It’s an awesome watch.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:34 AM   #14
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Sounds like you got it bad for a BLNR! Could it be just because they are difficult to get? Your Sub is a very fine watch with an iconic design and better 300M depth rating, plus you can already attest to it's accuracy. I'm not sure if everyone needs (or can be bothered to set) the second time zone of the GMT. Also not everyone likes the extensive bezel markings compared to a Sub. Will you have buyer's remorse down the line, hard to say. Both are very nice watches, tough decision. Good luck. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:35 AM   #15
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
If you could add the BLNR, I’d say do it...it’s a great watch. But given the choices here, I’d keep the sub, as I am a huge glidelock fan.

Either route, you’ll end up with a beauty on your wrist.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:43 AM   #16
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Don't flip...add. If you can't do it, save up until you can.

The sub is iconic...classic. Odds are you will end up with it back in the stable at some point, so save yourself time and money.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:45 AM   #17
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlevitt9 View Post
Reality is "something new" will always be on the horizon...the grass is always greener, right?
Truly. I attended a lecture once by a noted medical professor who said this phenomenon is actually rooted in brain chemistry. The prospect and act of acquiring something new results in increased production of dopamine, whereas the things to which we've acclimated do not, no matter how much we might like them intrinsically. This essentially means that no matter how much we might like what we have, we're always on the alert for something else that might make us "happier." Ever wonder why so many people here keep buying and selling the same watch multiple times?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:49 AM   #18
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

If only one, I’d prefer the blnr
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:50 AM   #19
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I would never replace my 114060 for a BLNR, but I'd add one.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:52 AM   #20
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
The GMT is a beautiful watch, which I would love add to my Sub, but I would never leave the Sub for a GMT, because the venerable Submariner is MY watch. That is my case.
What is your case is what you should answer and ten go for it.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 11:15 AM   #21
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

I happen to love the PCL and prefer the flatter caseback of my GMT.
Old 22 February 2018, 11:42 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Truly. I attended a lecture once by a noted medical professor who said this phenomenon is actually rooted in brain chemistry. The prospect and act of acquiring something new results in increased production of dopamine, whereas the things to which we've acclimated do not, no matter how much we might like them intrinsically. This essentially means that no matter how much we might like what we have, we're always on the alert for something else that might make us "happier." Ever wonder why so many people here keep buying and selling the same watch multiple times?
Happens everywhere, here it is watches, in Hollywood it is wives.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 11:47 AM   #23
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Happens everywhere, here it is watches, in Hollywood it is wives.
And for some people, electric shavers.
Old 22 February 2018, 12:52 PM   #24
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Don't flip...add. If you can't do it, save up until you can.

The sub is iconic...classic. Odds are you will end up with it back in the stable at some point, so save yourself time and money.
Sage advice here, especially when your first Rolex is in question.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 03:38 PM   #25
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
I personally wouldn't own a black sub and a black GMT. The two are too similiar to me. Also, i recently bought the BLNR for the 4th (and final) time. I'm retiring from watch flipping! Not to offend anyone, BUT black subs are a dime a dozen and far too common. The PCLs are beautiful and the black/blue bezel is amazing! I say-flip for it and save up and buy another watch with my variety (maybe a DJ41 or Daytona, etc). Now that's some good advice!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 04:40 PM   #26
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

You have the watch buyers '1 year itch' and want something new. Just sleep on it.... for like a year.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 05:15 PM   #27
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post
black subs are a dime a dozen...
Wow...I wish I'd known before I paid $8,549.99166667 too much for a single one.
Old 22 February 2018, 07:58 PM   #28
JRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Add BLNR first before thinking to keep or flip your SubC ND.
JRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 08:13 PM   #29
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Flip. I was uninspired by the no date. I ended up with 116610ln - much happier. I personally don’t consider the blnr a daily, so it wasn’t for me (as my one and only). If that isn’t a problem for you, it is an amazing watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 08:26 PM   #30
dave023
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classics
Keep your sub. Add when you can.
dave023 is offline   Reply With Quote