The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2018, 04:16 AM   #31
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
I have to shop where you guys shop ....the WG OF Daytona is not around in my area so no discount and if I bought 7 I would have to wait and hopefully get a 10% discount and then wait for a SS Daytona.
JLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 04:26 AM   #32
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
you are getting a bigger discount margin than their profit margin at 20%. So even then, you are coming out more ahead than them. Your overhead costs are zero too.

The OF daytona is also very popular and they dont need help with moving those currently.
...and they are getting my business. It's not everyday someone walks in and buys 7 gold watches. At 20% percent you are getting the same discount as everyone else. If your buying 7 slow moving pieces (WG Sub) the dealer should be able to accommodate a bigger discount. I would shoot for 25-30% , 2 Daytona's at retail, and skip the cheap champagne.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 04:36 AM   #33
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
...and they are getting my business. It's not everyday someone walks in and buys 7 gold watches. At 20% percent you are getting the same discount as everyone else. If your buying 7 slow moving pieces (WG Sub) the dealer should be able to accommodate a bigger discount. I would shoot for 25-30% , 2 Daytona's at retail, and skip the cheap champagne.
I'm sure you could get 20-25% discount on 7 PM watches in certain small markets, but then again can those ADs fill 7 of the same PM watches.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 04:43 AM   #34
T3F
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone, keep the responses coming. I never expected this many responses - I just became a pledge member as a result!
Old 23 February 2018, 05:09 AM   #35
tgoddu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Are you flipping the watches? Buying them for family members? Just curious and jealous
tgoddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 01:56 PM   #36
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3F View Post
A few have suggested asking grey dealers to do this. I'm sure they could get me a good deal on the OF Daytonas, but would they really sell me two SS Daytonas at retail? It seems like they'd be giving up ~$14k in profit between the two.
It seems unlikely but worth a try.
As well as the AD route I would reach out to a few grey dealers and tell them what I wanted. Let them come back to you with an offer of what they can do for the whole package and see how it compares to the AD.
If you don't ask you'll never know.
Old 23 February 2018, 02:28 PM   #37
Grahamcombat
"TRF" Member

Pretty good business plan.

Get the seven at 20% below retail and flip them here, or other forums, and make up the gap.

Sell the Daytona’s at going rate and make an additional ~15k.

All in all, drop 100k to get 145k in a weeks time for turnaround. Sounds pretty good.

I’m in, let’s do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Grahamcombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 07:28 PM   #38
WBA_Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
It's a good idea to try and get more then 20% for the Smurf, probably you'll get to a 25-28% for 7 pieces. But for the WG OF Daytona I can definitely say that 20%, what you've already got, is more than a GREAT discount! This is a new model that is in a very high demand all over the world so any AD will sell it in a couple of days from receiving it. This WG OF Daytona will probably be very hard also for the AD to order and receive 7 pieces. Best of luck!
WBA_Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 08:56 PM   #39
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
you are getting a bigger discount margin than their profit margin at 20%. So even then, you are coming out more ahead than them. Your overhead costs are zero too.

The OF daytona is also very popular and they dont need help with moving those currently.
Lets just run some rough numbers based on US MSRP for the WG Sub...

$36,850 MSRP each. Assume the AD pays 63%, that's $23,215 each. If the AD sells one at a 20% discount that is $7,370 off or a sale price of $29,480. That leaves the AD with a profit of $6,265. Now times 7 watches in one sale... $43,855.

I agree an AD has substantial costs to run their store pay salaries and expense, but this is a one time sale and that is a big number in a single day. I think the AD will survive the experience. If they can actually get that many Smurfs. I wonder if the AD's distributor will give them a discount on that many WG watches? Maybe? So perhaps even greater profit margin exists.

Some other interesting numbers... if the OP gets a 20% discount that is a pre-tax sales price of $206,360. If the OP had a credit card that could handle that kind of purchase, and the standard 3% fee is paid by the AD for use of the credit card, that is $6,190 lost to credit card fees. So the method of payment should be part of the negotiation. So before you whip out that coveted Black Card, might want to get a cashiers check and ask for more discount. Also where I live that is $17,024 in state sales tax. Find an AD in a tax-free state to make the purchase. Even a first class airline ticket is chump change compared to what you'll save in sales tax.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 10:07 PM   #40
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3F View Post
A few have suggested asking grey dealers to do this. I'm sure they could get me a good deal on the OF Daytonas, but would they really sell me two SS Daytonas at retail? It seems like they'd be giving up ~$14k in profit between the two.
If a grey can save you a few % more on 7 pieces, then you probably end up better paying their premium for 2 ceramic Daytonas.

However, I'm not seeing any meaningful discounts from greys on BNIB WG Oysterflex Daytonas. I am still highly skeptical of an AD being able to fulfill an order of 7, considering that most ADs in my area are receiving a trickle of them, maybe 1 every month or two, with a waitlist for them in some areas too.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 12:16 AM   #41
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Discount on WG OF is not much, so 10% and 25% on the others would be a fair deal. Also you're probably better of ordering a range of PMs rather than the same model multiples times, esp the new OF, or the wait could be excessive.

There are some ADs that are holding both SS Daytonas now so I would try to find them first and maybe fly over to get them if not local. I don't trust lists and would hate to have bought 7 PMs only to find there are actually bigger whales ahead of you a few months down the line, a lot of ADs will tell you anything to secure that big order, esp in this seller's market.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 12:18 AM   #42
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
If a grey can save you a few % more on 7 pieces, then you probably end up better paying their premium for 2 ceramic Daytonas.

However, I'm not seeing any meaningful discounts from greys on BNIB WG Oysterflex Daytonas. I am still highly skeptical of an AD being able to fulfill an order of 7, considering that most ADs in my area are receiving a trickle of them, maybe 1 every month or two, with a waitlist for them in some areas too.
In fact if you buy 7 PMs at a discount from a grey, many will probably give you a good discount on the SS too. This is probably the easiest way to get all the watches you want now and at a fair price.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 12:47 AM   #43
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Discount on WG OF is not much, so 10% and 25% on the others would be a fair deal. Also you're probably better of ordering a range of PMs rather than the same model multiples times, esp the new OF, or the wait could be excessive.

There are some ADs that are holding both SS Daytonas now so I would try to find them first and maybe fly over to get them if not local. I don't trust lists and would hate to have bought 7 PMs only to find there are actually bigger whales ahead of you a few months down the line, a lot of ADs will tell you anything to secure that big order, esp in this seller's market.
Agreed Neil. I would demand them to be delivered at the time as the other 7 or no deal. ADs can jerk you around when you're on a "list".

I recently helped a family member buy a Platinum DD which I used to my advantage to get a white dialed 116500. AD initially told me I would be placed on a "priority list" to get the 116500. I refused and told them that they have to deliver it at the time I pickup the DD or no sale. They made one appear pretty quickly (not instantly, but within days.) If I had said yes to the list, I probably would have a long wait ahead as there are bigger fish than me.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 01:25 AM   #44
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Agreed Neil. I would demand them to be delivered at the time as the other 7 or no deal. ADs can jerk you around when you're on a "list".

I recently helped a family member buy a Platinum DD which I used to my advantage to get a white dialed 116500. AD initially told me I would be placed on a "priority list" to get the 116500. I refused and told them that they have to deliver it at the time I pickup the DD or no sale. They made one appear pretty quickly (not instantly, but within days.) If I had said yes to the list, I probably would have a long wait ahead as there are bigger fish than me.

Neil and Tom nailed it- listen to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 01:28 AM   #45
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

They keep them in the safe for this exact situation. That or a client they really like. Same with SS skydwellers, and in some cases BLNR and LVc. My ad anyways. It’s how they have done it for some time.
Old 24 February 2018, 01:54 AM   #46
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
My BLNR was in a safe for nearly a month waiting for a client to pick it up but the 'client' never showed up and I have it. Granted its only a BLNR, not a SS Daytona. I never thought that dealers were 'hoarding' DaytonaC's. I figured once they got them they got rid of them, quick turn around in profit.
Raypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 02:35 AM   #47
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1william View Post
20% is the standard discount on pm watches at most ad's if you have a history and are going to buy. For 7 watches i would think that 22-25% would be reasonable and they could take a white and black face daytona out of the safe and sell them to you at retail. I would not go on a list for the daytona's and i would make my purchase on the condition that the daytona's are delivered at the same time as the pm watches. This is a transaction that could be put together.
x2
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 03:51 AM   #48
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by datejustrms View Post
x2
x3

If you buy the Subs even with the discount this is a $200,000+ transaction. The SS Daytona's should be waiting for you and, frankly, them discounting those a thousand to get the $200,000+ deal done isn't unreasonable.
Wcdhtwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2018, 04:11 AM   #49
FatPhil
"TRF" Member

This makes me think of if ‘massdrop’ should do a drop on a bunch of rolex watches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FatPhil is offline   Reply With Quote