The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2018, 02:44 AM   #121
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Very surprised they wouldn't replace the dial!

Again, you should be totally happy. If you take the refund, don't get another that also is imperfect. Wait for the perfect one.

Just to reiterate, it's not really rehaut alignment as the rehaut engraving is part of the case. It's the dial being a fraction of a degree off the way it's seated. This is relatively minor as a watchmaker should be able to line it up if you're OCD about it.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:47 AM   #122
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples09 View Post
It's a mass produced watch. It will not be perfect if you look at it under a loupe or camera zoom.
Apple Watch, time and Casio are mass produced and that’s reflected in the price. Then why am I expected to pay the “non mass produced price” to receive a “mass produced” watch?? Some of the huge profits should go towards better quality control imho
Old 23 March 2018, 02:52 AM   #123
liuk3
"TRF" Member

You should just drop it off at the RSC and discuss with them when you are in London. Should be covered under warranty if any repairs are warranted. The worst they can do is say no if you ask. They can then ship it back to you. In the meantime, I would just enjoy your watch and possibly note the features that make your watch uniquely your own.
Old 23 March 2018, 03:01 AM   #124
Atlantic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
Mine is perfect, zero issues.

Haven’t seen too many with the problems pictured here to be fair.
x2
Atlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:02 AM   #125
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Get a refund and buy this one if its good
Waiting on some more photos from the AD to see how the date cyclops lines up on the one they have , looked a little crooked on the photos they sent
agentsmith350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:05 AM   #126
BlueAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith350 View Post
Do others think the cyclops is crooked or is it just me ?
It's just you!
BlueAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:07 AM   #127
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

I even went as far as including a screenshot of there webpage showing this dial and the little pitch of how they are done by hand to ensure perfection on my letter to them with the watch but yet they say its within tolerence and nothing they could do.. Bit disappointing
Old 23 March 2018, 03:07 AM   #128
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAZ View Post
It's just you!
Evidently not lol :)
Old 23 March 2018, 03:14 AM   #129
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Rehaut not being perfectly aligned is extremely common.

Over the last 3 years, my father and I have gotten a SubC and two DJ41. Rehaut is not perfectly aligned on any of them.

3 new watches, the 12 rehaut crown doesn't line up on any of them.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:21 AM   #130
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Actually. Rolex does. The word perfection is used on the website.

“To ensure perfection”

The op has a right to expect a perfect dial

To be fair, there is nothing wrong with the actual dial!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:34 AM   #131
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Do yourself a favour and put away your loupe.
This seems to be the general consensus (maybe not in this thread, but certainly in the forum overall).

If it looks bad with the naked eye, then sure, get it fixed or return it. Otherwise, you're just looking for trouble (and you'll find it).

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:36 AM   #132
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
It's hard to determine cyclops alignment from a photo. There's so much distortion that getting an accurate photo is tough. You'll probably want to just go and see it for yourself in person.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 04:10 AM   #133
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAZ View Post
It's just you!

Seriously. If you can’t see how badly misaligned that cyclops is you need to get your eyes tested

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 01:21 AM   #134
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

Thanks Devildog, I think some just havnt read it properly and jumping to conclusions .

I have spoken to the RSC again to discuss the mark on the gold , they say that they couldn't see by eye but admitted they could see something there under magnification which they decided was within manufacturing tolerances.

I must be in the wrong job as I could see it easily by eye , in the below "wrist shot" from the day I purchased the watch I think it is clearly visible ( top left of the 12 hour marker gold border ).

I went through this with RSC and sent that photo and a couple others I had of it but he said that in his opinion it was the reflection of the light. They will take another look at the other RSC for a second opinion if I want but my hopes arnt that high that they will do anything about it, really shocked how they can say that's acceptable.

Below is a photo of the watch available from another AD which i could buy if I took a refund on my original one. My worry with this is that damn cyclops looks a touch crooked to me, lower on the left higher on the right.

Also if RSC say marks like on the original one are within tolerance who's to say this wouldn't have similar.

Old 24 March 2018, 01:27 AM   #135
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

Couple more showing what I mean on the gold border on the original watch.

I only have limited photos as the watch is being kept at AD for the time being.

Old 24 March 2018, 01:54 AM   #136
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
As to the watch, IMOP it is a great looking watch, I would stop stressing and enjoy.

As to some of the posters who link back to Rolex's use of the phrase "to assure perfection", this is just a classic example of what the law calls "trade puffing." Courts have always granted sellers license to use generic words to describe their product which are understood to be puffed and held that their use does not constitute a warranty of "best" or "perfect." This has always been the law in the US. And I believe most other countries. How many times have you watched an add and the seller says that this is this is the "best" or "greatest" hamburger, candy bar, bag of chips, car or even "show on earth." Or that an article of clothing will have a "perfect fit." Or that this new house is "just perfect."

In a literal sense, I am not aware of "perfection" in any products made by humans. However, my Rolex is just "perfect" for me.:thumbs: That is until I convince myself that I need to trade it for a different Rolex.
Old 24 March 2018, 03:05 AM   #137
Jagsie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN,126660-JC
Anyone freaking out over the very tiny mark on the 12 marker will have a mental breakdown the first time they bang the watch on something or scratch the bracelet. These minor imperfections will pale into insignificance after a month or so of wear. If it really bugs you that much, get it fixed, otherwise, do as we all do, wear it and except that nothing is perfect or, if it is perceived as perfect, will remain that way unless it is placed in a radiation proof, hermetically seal bank vault.....forever.

Jagsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 03:18 AM   #138
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

Is the Mark something that is permanent or can it be rubbed off, I wonder?

Honestly, if it bugs you, just get a refund. There'll be something wrong with the next but may be more tolerable to you. Or you'll really never find the perfect watch because the crown's crown isn't straight up or the bezel flutes don't line up to the pip triangle, etc.

TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 03:21 AM   #139
adg31
"TRF" Member

First Rolex experience , Was i wrong expecting perfection to be perfect ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith350 View Post
Couple more showing what I mean on the gold border on the original watch.

I only have limited photos as the watch is being kept at AD for the time being.

Ultimately it comes down to what you can live with - our opinions are worthless as it's not our money and we don't have to live with it!
For what is worth, if it was me, I wouldn't be happy with either the mark on the gold surround or the service / support you are getting from RSC.
As such I'd take the refund from your AD today and have a think about what to do next with your hard earned money safely in the bank.
There are plenty of other great watches to choose from out there

adg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 03:37 AM   #140
jl2fa
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
People will tell you not to be bothered by it, but you have every right to be.

If you are not satisfied with it, take the return. When I purchased my first sub, I returned it because the 12 o'clock marker was not perfectly aligned with the crown. I waited to find the one that met my standards (I took in a loupe -- I'm paying the AD good money; I should be able to examine the product closely), and purchased it.

I'm glad I did. Otherwise the flaw will become more and more glaring as time passes.
jl2fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 07:12 AM   #141
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

Just reposting the wristshot showing the mark visable as something happened to the picture link

Old 24 March 2018, 07:32 AM   #142
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsie View Post
Anyone freaking out over the very tiny mark on the 12 marker will have a mental breakdown the first time they bang the watch on something or scratch the bracelet. These minor imperfections will pale into insignificance after a month or so of wear. If it really bugs you that much, get it fixed, otherwise, do as we all do, wear it and except that nothing is perfect or, if it is perceived as perfect, will remain that way unless it is placed in a radiation proof, hermetically seal bank vault.....forever.

Dont get me wrong, Scratches bangs etc that I have caused myself I dont care about as some others say that forms the character of the watch , But I see that as very different to a visible mark present from new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCi View Post
Is the Mark something that is permanent or can it be rubbed off, I wonder?

Honestly, if it bugs you, just get a refund. There'll be something wrong with the next but may be more tolerable to you. Or you'll really never find the perfect watch because the crown's crown isn't straight up or the bezel flutes don't line up to the pip triangle, etc.

I really thought it would be something the RSC would just clean off, but they said they couldn't see it so did nothing with it. I assume this means they didnt wipe it or anything either or they would have said.

I see it different to say the crowns crown etc or something that is different on every watch inc promo pieces , this is a polished gold marker that is meant to be clean and polished , and I havnt seen another watch with this. I noticed that the basel watches this year where all lined up perfectly on the rehaut and no marks on the dial , Do you think Rolex would have put one on display that had a mark on an hour marker ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
Ultimately it comes down to what you can live with - our opinions are worthless as it's not our money and we don't have to live with it!
For what is worth, if it was me, I wouldn't be happy with either the mark on the gold surround or the service / support you are getting from RSC.
As such I'd take the refund from your AD today and have a think about what to do next with your hard earned money safely in the bank.
There are plenty of other great watches to choose from out there

Thanks I appreciate your reply and honesty , agreed I am a little frustrated with RSC support , they where great about the crystal but cant understand how they can say the marks not visible to the eye so isnt classed as a flaw yet I sent three pictures inc a wristshot that show how visible it is under the correct lighting and is something I spotted while checking the rehaut by eye, maybe I should apply for a job in their QC dept !

And yup , brain was telling me something similar but my heart is set on this make and model. Its been "the one" ive always wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2fa View Post
People will tell you not to be bothered by it, but you have every right to be.

If you are not satisfied with it, take the return. When I purchased my first sub, I returned it because the 12 o'clock marker was not perfectly aligned with the crown. I waited to find the one that met my standards (I took in a loupe -- I'm paying the AD good money; I should be able to examine the product closely), and purchased it.

I'm glad I did. Otherwise the flaw will become more and more glaring as time passes.
Im swaying this way , the only doubt in my mind is that I have now seen 7 ( 2 in person 5 by photos ) , out of which only 2 have had close enough lined up rehaut engraving.

Of those two , one is the referred to watch here which had the ( now corrected ) crooked cyclops and gold issue.

The other now available one I have pictured a couple posts up looks to have a crooked cyclops ( albeit not quite as bad as the other was before it was repaired by rsc)

I dont know how many more I can go through !
Old 24 March 2018, 08:02 AM   #143
Canforfair
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ, 5513, SD, DAYT
There was a thread recently that aimed this up nicely
“ I have my Rolex because it’s a beautiful engineered watch “ I have my Timex because it does not loose time . I wear My Rolex most or the time . “
OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

Canforfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 08:23 AM   #144
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
Let minor things go because perfection by humans is impossible. There was but one perfect human.
If it’s something really obvious like that very crooked cyclops that was threaded here in the past week, I’m in favor of having it fixed. Otherwise, as long as you know it’s a genuine Rolex, let the small stuff go.
With that said, the 12 o'clock triangle isn’t perfectly centered on the dial. It is shaded ever so slightly to the left. More of the triangle is on the :59 mark than the :01 mark. It also doesn’t line up perfectly with the crown on the dial.
Sorry to do that, but the longer you look with a loupe the more problems you will see. Cheaper watches have these same issues, but you don’t care because you didn’t pay a lot for them. I've never even considered looking at my Tags with a loupe.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 10:54 AM   #145
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Nothing is perfect. Especially with super enhanced magnification.

...I tell my wife the same thing when she sits in front of her makeup mirror...

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 11:03 AM   #146
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Seriously dude? They’re all fine! Just enjoy the damn thing. The Bluesy is a hell of a watch. Why go looking for “flaws” on a brand new watch? The coronet on the crown doesn’t point straight up on most watches either like the catalog shots. What really matters is that there are no scratches and that the watch is running within the (-2/+2) spec.
Old 24 March 2018, 11:13 AM   #147
jmrxtr
"TRF" Member

Watch: PamRolexIWC
how are you going to feel when you tag your first door jam? it's a killer watch
jmrxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 11:56 AM   #148
rabbithole88
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610v
Wait till you send it in for a service.... The alignment cyclops & rehaut will probably be a fraction of a mm off again.
rabbithole88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 11:59 AM   #149
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples09 View Post
It's a mass produced watch. It will not be perfect if you look at it under a loupe or camera zoom.
Yep.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 12:00 PM   #150
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
You have a stunning watch there. I can't tell you how to feel. How you feel on this is your decision. And it is a decision.

Do you love how great it looks overall or tunnel in on the few imperfections?

I love all of my Rolex and I don't over inspect them and I don't get stressed if I put a ding on them. I just feel blessed to be able to afford them.
Double yep.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote