The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2018, 01:55 AM   #61
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo082 View Post
Looks like you don’t want to accept you bought a watch expecting to be discontinued and make some extra money with that - well, sorry for the bad news :)

Buy Bitcoin or something like that if you want to invest ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
It has been discontinued. It was a commemorative issue that is no longer being made. There is a new model now.
Yes, it has been upgraded. Upgraded to a new model, #126660. 116660 is definitely discontinued, it no longer is being made and provided in the Rolex
D-blue line up. Just like any other Rolex watch models. Submariner, for example. Every new model is improved, although very similar, it is still considered a new model. Submariner is still there. But previous generations of Submariners were definitely discontinued.
Some people might think for a model to be discontinued, the entire line has to disappear. But that's not the case.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:25 AM   #62
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelam View Post
So it's ok to call people an a-hole and I was banned because I posted a harry potter holocaust meme?
Sorry you were banned! This is a great forum with los of information.

Thanks
nutrientcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:26 AM   #63
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
Yes, it has been upgraded. Upgraded to a new model, #126660. 116660 is definitely discontinued, it no longer is being made and provided in the Rolex
D-blue line up. Just like any other Rolex watch models. Submariner, for example. Every new model is improved, although very similar, it is still considered a new model. Submariner is still there. But previous generations of Submariners were definitely discontinued.
Some people might think for a model to be discontinued, the entire line has to disappear. But that's not the case.
I see what you mean thanks!
Old 23 March 2018, 02:27 AM   #64
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
Prices won't drop certainly not in the UK

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/search?...PriceLowToHigh
Thats interesting. Thanks
Old 23 March 2018, 02:34 AM   #65
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtime View Post
Thanks for the chuckle this morning fellas. This is good stuff....also, I’m going to throw out the big data analytics in use at the company, and just reach out to “nutrientcobra”, as he can spot trends in a few minutes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lol, well I just noticed the price jumps all over the place on them, and maybe should have asked the question differently. Was just wondering if this was kind of the norm for Rolexes when they make a change. Old models go up in price. Even if it isn't a trend. Simple!
Old 23 March 2018, 02:39 AM   #66
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Careful if you want to stay here. There are other ways to address things around here. As for your post yes I also see prices have been increased by sellers on Chrono24 as well. My guess is prices stay strong for them and supply stays tight but who knows. Historically speaking SS sports models do not go down when a new movement or change is introduced if history is any indicator which I believe it is.
Thanks for the response. I should realize I wasn't on the BBQ forum when I snapped back at him.

I am glad that they haven't dropped historically as you said when movements are changed, etc. Good information!

Thank You
Old 23 March 2018, 02:43 AM   #67
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
I’d actually suggest you direct your angst to watcheroo since we don’t really need posts like that to a newcomer and actually keep his comments to himself. That way this forum will grow instead of just be consumed by the same old people.

Onto the OP. I think it is just gray market guys taking advantage of supply and demand and see if they can get a few more bucks with the renewed excitement on the DSSD. We shall see.
Thanks for the response. Appreciated!
Old 23 March 2018, 02:45 AM   #68
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
Prices won't drop certainly not in the UK

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/search?...PriceLowToHigh
Why do we go to watchfinder as a reference point? It’s the most overpriced example. I think eBay would be closer to the mark .
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:47 AM   #69
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I did not realize there were issues with the original one. I will have to really scrutinize it this weekend when I fetch from bank to wear. Here I thought it was an awesome watch all these years and alas I could be wrong. Oh well I hope I continue to look at it the same going forward.
I actually like the long lugs on the older model myself. I think it balances out and draws out the big case a bit more. But thats just me. I know the movement is improved etc. But the old one to me looks more bold in that sense. To each their own.

I never thought the bracelet needed to be bigger, but when I see the new one in real time I will decide. I am staying positive. Thanks
Old 23 March 2018, 02:49 AM   #70
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Man, this sounds like the stockmarket, or worse in-running betting.
Lol.
Old 23 March 2018, 03:06 AM   #71
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Past Professional models have typically moved ~ in line to have aftermarket prices equal or greater than min of initial msrp and in some cases in line with current models. Once a model is done production, obviously the supply is Finite and fixed. Hence premium. Nothing overly complicated.

Btw, I thought I clicked on an April Fools thread. I must've been up too late reading on Basel releases I guess and my eyes are playing tricks on me
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:38 AM   #72
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo082 View Post
I just don’t wasted time with certain type of people.
Good luck and sorry once again you did Not won the lottery with D-Blue
Sounds like you’re scared to take my bet?

Sorry again you like to antagonize strangers on the internet over purchase by making up stories about their lives and finances.

It’s been a great couple years in the market; can’t imagine anyone seriously buying watches to make money when they could throw darts at a list of stocks and make so much more.

Though, on second thought, my 5711 and 5131r have appreciated quite a bit, thanks.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:44 AM   #73
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
It's called opportunism.

I can't see the old one gaining in price, the new one now has the design the first one should have had.

Oh, and the post limit to start calling other users bad names comes at 18.409 posts.... I'm so close now.
Oh, and the post limit to start calling other users bad names comes at 18.409 posts.... I'm so close now.

I didn't know that!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:53 AM   #74
scurfa
"TRF" Member

I think the new deep sea is how it should of been the first time around and that may make the original less desirable, the watch will always have value but will gain less over time than certain other models.
scurfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:59 AM   #75
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
I’d actually suggest you direct your angst to watcheroo since we don’t really need posts like that to a newcomer and actually keep his comments to himself. That way this forum will grow instead of just be consumed by the same old people.

Onto the OP. I think it is just gray market guys taking advantage of supply and demand and see if they can get a few more bucks with the renewed excitement on the DSSD. We shall see.
its a forum where people discuss things and dont always agree.... i have no issue with that.... everyone is entitled to an opinion and weather i agree with a comment or not is irrelevant........... my point was simply that there was no need for dropping the level of respect to name calling.

What i like about this forum is the respect everyone shows each other no matter the taste or opinion.... thats all im going to say.............

for the record i like the new deep blue more then the old one... now id consider getting another but in the new revamped design, i have no interest in getting the older one again as the upgrades that they have done fixed the reasons i got rid of my old one....

I put a rubber B on tang buckle on mine to make it more proportionate on the wrist and at the end of the day i didnt spend all that money on it not to have it on a bracelet hence i got rid of it....

I think the prices will fall now that the deep blue is a standard production model.... they were commanding a premium over the standard black because of the dial and the fact the rumour mill ran wild with "it'll be discontinued"..... now that the fact its staying i think will hurt the premium that the blue dial has as its not going away any time soon
thats my 2 cents for what its worth(not usually much lol)
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:17 PM   #76
nutrientcobra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canook View Post
its a forum where people discuss things and dont always agree.... i have no issue with that.... everyone is entitled to an opinion and weather i agree with a comment or not is irrelevant........... my point was simply that there was no need for dropping the level of respect to name calling.

What i like about this forum is the respect everyone shows each other no matter the taste or opinion.... thats all im going to say.............

for the record i like the new deep blue more then the old one... now id consider getting another but in the new revamped design, i have no interest in getting the older one again as the upgrades that they have done fixed the reasons i got rid of my old one....

I put a rubber B on tang buckle on mine to make it more proportionate on the wrist and at the end of the day i didnt spend all that money on it not to have it on a bracelet hence i got rid of it....

I think the prices will fall now that the deep blue is a standard production model.... they were commanding a premium over the standard black because of the dial and the fact the rumour mill ran wild with "it'll be discontinued"..... now that the fact its staying i think will hurt the premium that the blue dial has as its not going away any time soon
thats my 2 cents for what its worth(not usually much lol)
You are correct, its all about respect. All I did was ask a question and bam! I didn't feel I had to back up a question with data when you can get on the sites and its pretty evident. I was warned by the moderator. After I read the rules, I did overstep them. Time to drop it! Thanks
Old 23 March 2018, 12:23 PM   #77
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
There will always be 1 commemorative d-blue, and there is no denying that. Just check the last frontier book
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:26 PM   #78
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Happy to make the same bet with you. I have historic trends on my side; as we discussed in Patek and AP threads, the original design always wins with collectors.
Not expressing a view, just wanted to make some risk free cash... damn I'm catching grey-itis...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:41 PM   #79
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
There will always be 1 commemorative d-blue, and there is no denying that. Just check the last frontier book
Yes, the book does entirely set the scene (no pun intended).

However consider this, how many people will be even aware of the book in the fullness of time?
Also what defines the commemorative version?
Is it the dial alone?
I would say so.

The new watch now has all the imaginable upgrades and just a little bit more.
Let me list them.
The movement.
The Bracelet and Clasp width.
The SELs.
The Pip on the Bezel (unexpected) but i assume it now has the same part number all things being equal.
The longer Hour hand and possibly the Minute hand as well (also unexpected).

I won't include the wider outside dimention of the lugs as it would be difficult to necessarily describe it as an upgrade per se. It's more of a consequence of the 1mm wider Bracelet and balancing the desire to maintain the balance of proportions of the original lugs.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:42 PM   #80
Preeble
"TRF" Member

I love my JC. I never would have noticed that the band is a bit skinny if others hadn’t mentioned it. Regardless it doesn’t bother me and didn’t prevent me from buying the watch in the first place. Is it possible that the wider band will look better or be more comfortable on a wrist? Perhaps, but I don’t think the original watch was too big or top heavy for me. I love the watch. Sometimes ignorance is bliss!
Preeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:49 PM   #81
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrientcobra View Post
You are correct, its all about respect. All I did was ask a question and bam! I didn't feel I had to back up a question with data when you can get on the sites and its pretty evident. I was warned by the moderator. After I read the rules, I did overstep them. Time to drop it! Thanks
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:55 PM   #82
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Yes, the book does entirely set the scene (no pun intended).

However consider this, how many people will be even aware of the book in the fullness of time?
Also what defines the commemorative version?
Is it the dial alone?
I would say so.

The new watch now has all the imaginable upgrades and just a little bit more.
Let me list them.
The movement.
The Bracelet and Clasp width.
The SELs.
The Pip on the Bezel (unexpected) but i assume it now has the same part number all things being equal.
The longer Hour hand and possibly the Minute hand as well (also unexpected).

I won't include the wider outside dimention of the lugs as it would be difficult to necessarily describe it as an upgrade per se. It's more of a consequence of the 1mm wider Bracelet and balancing the desire to maintain the balance of proportions of the original lugs.
the watch itself defines the commemorative version. 116660 d-blue, now discontinued. And changes doesn’t necessarily equate to being an upgrade. And keep in mind, I am all for changes and advancements. I think the movement upgrade could be a good thing, but only time will tell.

And as far as the lugs, I’m pretty sure they thinned the lugs from the inside to make room for the wider bracelet, keeping the detentions the same. If you look at the pics, the lugs are thinner.
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 01:01 PM   #83
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preeble View Post
I love my JC. I never would have noticed that the band is a bit skinny if others hadn’t mentioned it. Regardless it doesn’t bother me and didn’t prevent me from buying the watch in the first place. Is it possible that the wider band will look better or be more comfortable on a wrist? Perhaps, but I don’t think the original watch was too big or top heavy for me. I love the watch. Sometimes ignorance is bliss!
I agree with your sentiments.

However i did always think the Bracelet could've been just that little bit wider right from when the DSSD first came out. The same went for the PM Skydweller on the Bracelet.
I had to warm to the model over a long period of time and turn a blind eye to it.
The turning point came for me when they moved away from the grab bag of font styles on the MK I to a more open and homogenous font style/layout on the MK II.

After getting the watch i was totally hooked.
Old 23 March 2018, 01:07 PM   #84
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
the watch itself defines the commemorative version. 116660 d-blue, now discontinued. And changes doesn’t necessarily equate to being an upgrade. And keep in mind, I am all for changes and advancements. I think the movement upgrade could be a good thing, but only time will tell.

And as far as the lugs, I’m pretty sure they thinned the lugs from the inside to make room for the wider bracelet, keeping the detentions the same. If you look at the pics, the lugs are thinner.
I see your point about the model number being definitive and i hadn't thought of it like that.

Regarding the lug width.
I'm not convinced they are thinner and we are probably looking at the same pics
Old 23 March 2018, 01:11 PM   #85
speedbird90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post
So you've identified a trend in the last 19 hours?
nice one mate.
speedbird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 01:42 PM   #86
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
After Baselwolrd seems Deepseas are going up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelam View Post
So it's ok to call people an a-hole and I was banned because I posted a harry potter holocaust meme?

75 years later and people still wonder why folks don’t laugh holocaust jokes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 March 2018, 05:07 PM   #87
Gary.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omx5o View Post
The 126600 SD43 was a big improvement on the 116600, but look at what happened to the prices. 116660 will probably go the same way.
I think the difference might be that a lot of people felt that the SD43 wasn't for them- the cyclops, the increase in case size - whereas the new DSSD just addresses a glaring fault in the proportions.
I can't imagine people in the future trying to track dow the rare "Skipped Leg Day" DSSD
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 06:19 PM   #88
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omx5o View Post
The 126600 SD43 was a big improvement on the 116600, but look at what happened to the prices. 116660 will probably go the same way.
I think that comparison might be off as the SD4K and SD43 are way more different compared to the DSSD1 vs DSSD2. The SD4K is the "ultimate" (IMO anyways) version of the "traditional" Sea-Dweller meaning 40mm in size, no cyclops, etc...but having the modern accoutrements (ceramic bezel, matte maxi dial, new bracelet). The SD43 is a different beast entirely. Never mind the case size difference, the addition of the cyclops and red text made peoples' head explode (for different reasons).

The difference with the DSSDs isn't as huge and if we're being honest, outside of the DSSD1 being "first", I think that the DSSD2 is more desirable. The 3235 movement gives you 70hr of power reserve and the slightly redesigned case and wider bracelet address a common complaint with the DSSD1. If both the DSSD1 and DSSD2 were at your local AD with no discount (MSRP only), I'd hazard to guess that most people would pick the DSSD2.

But who knows, collectors are a strange bunch...I mean they go completely nutter for Rolex watches with failing parts that are beaten to within an inch of its life...
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 06:23 PM   #89
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary. View Post
I think the difference might be that a lot of people felt that the SD43 wasn't for them- the cyclops, the increase in case size - whereas the new DSSD just addresses a glaring fault in the proportions.
I can't imagine people in the future trying to track dow the rare "Skipped Leg Day" DSSD
Glaring fault...OK I must have missed it all these years.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 03:59 AM   #90
Octaviancb
"TRF" Member

As a DSSD owner and someone with 8.5-inch wrists, I do not notice porpoising on the wrist even though the watch is somewhat top-heavy and it certainly is a drawback for folks with smaller wrists. The original bracelet is too thin, not doubt about it and the new one looks much better on the 126660. I wonder if Rolex would ever consider making a bracelet for current DSSD owners that was not tapered as much?

However, IF...Rolex ever came out with a bracelet for purchase much like many other watch companies offer, that was less tapered than the original and more similar to the current 126660, (yes I know the end lug size in the DSSD1 is 21mm and 22mm in the new version) making it appear more symmetrical, would you buy it? I'd consider it assuming cost was similar to what a replacement bracelet would fetch currently.

Clearly the new 3235 movement is a nice upgrade too. The slight changes in the length of the hands do nothing for me. Are the changes enough for me to get rid of mine for the 126660? Nope - I've been through too much with watch on my wrist and therefore too much sentimental value.

Ps. As for the non-flush end-links to the lugs on the original, which Rolex has corrected with the 126660, I find them rather charming - there is something about slight imperfections in things that can make them seem perfect (just MHO).
Octaviancb is offline   Reply With Quote