The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2018, 03:48 AM   #1
thomaswentworth
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610 Sub
Icon14 Prices on discontinued models and modified models after Basel - My take

The BLRO white gold was changed. That limits the number of the original BLROs out there. In my opinion, based on historical evidence, this should cause the value of those pieces to rise in the secondary market. In a couple of decades, the values will have risen dramatically.

Same for the DSSD. The original production run was limited. The value will now rise.

Look at what has happened with the 5510, 5508, 1680, 6538, 6536, 16800, etc. etc. How about more recently... The 16610LV 50th anniversary? Or the 116718 true 50th anniversary... The prices have gone way up.

As I stated in a previous article (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=592339), I believe that Rolex will be doing more limited productions over short time spans in order to keep their loyal market coming back for more. Look for more frequent changes and the ending of certain models. Also look for it to increase the value of those models that have been discontinued.

Rolex is very, very smart. They know what they are doing. They will ensure that the value of their watches in the secondary pre-owned and vintage markets keep going up.

Subtle enhancements and redesigns with a different reference number will only help.

BTW - The wife kept me away from TRF yesterday after my all nighter for the Baselworld press conference.

Cheers everyone!

Last edited by thomaswentworth; 23 March 2018 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: added a couple more vintage reference numbers
thomaswentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:54 AM   #2
thomaswentworth
Banned

I would like to add that the limiting of availability only feeds the desire to acquire one. If they were a dime a dozen in every AD, people would grow tired of Subs, GMTs, etc. Being an exclusive watch in a thin market will help to ensure that value is maintained and driven upward. They are very smart and are protecting themselves and their loyal following. Subtle frequent modifications will also help them stay a half a step ahead of the counterfeiters who probably won't enjoy re-tooling more frequently. The days of the decades long run of the 16610, etc. are over boys. Get used to the new Rolex which will help make sure the values of your coveted wristwear keep on going up... in a thin marketplace.
Old 23 March 2018, 03:56 AM   #3
Oyster Al
"TRF" Member

Sorry Thomas , it isn’t that simple. Just because a reference gets discontinued in itself is not a sure fire recipe for value increase. The reference needs to be popular with a core of enthusiasts or more importantly in the future have some kind of X-factor that makes it a cool must have piece.
Oyster Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:57 AM   #4
thomaswentworth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Al View Post
Sorry Thomas , it isn’t that simple. Just because a reference gets discontinued in itself is not a sure fire recipe for value increase. The reference needs to be popular with a core of enthusiasts or more importantly in the future have some kind of X-factor that makes it a cool must have piece.
But these are popular references about which I'm speaking.