The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 October 2020, 03:21 AM   #121
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
If they could put more effort into comfortable bracelets and thinner cases with their all new thinner movements they’d have a winning combo. GS is still using Maxicase design trends of the 2010’s and really should adapt to the more elegant slim minimal design trend of 2020. I fear they are going to lag behind in design and be the G Shock of luxury watches

If Range Rover made a small, 2WD, convertible, 2 seater electric car... would it still be a Range Rover ?

It’s their way of doing it, and definitely is their brand identity. I hope they keep it this way. Their product becoming trendy could turn me away from the brand. What is happening to Rolex is a real downturn for some. I miss the days when I joined this forum 12 years ago and it was about watches, not premiums, waiting lists.

That being said I’ll add at least one more GS to my collection.
Old 11 October 2020, 01:21 PM   #122
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
If they could put more effort into comfortable bracelets and thinner cases with their all new thinner movements they’d have a winning combo. GS is still using Maxicase design trends of the 2010’s and really should adapt to the more elegant slim minimal design trend of 2020. I fear they are going to lag behind in design and be the G Shock of luxury watches
GS are doing just fine, and obviously not a brand for you. If you are referring to Rolex, their watches are trending ever larger.
Old 11 October 2020, 10:53 PM   #123
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
[QUOTE=Runny Eggs;9902402]I think the brand is pretty soft right now, to be honest. Swiss enthusiasts think it's a joke, geeks think its too closely juxtaposed to the cheaper Seiko branding, and Joe on the street will just ask why didn't you buy a Rolex instead?

I think you have got it in one.

There are really two questions.

First what is Grand Seiko?
Grand Seiko is Seiko's attempt to go up market and compete with Swiss brands such a Omega, Tudor and even Rolex. To differentiate them from their modestly priced Seiko range costing in the few hundred pound range available at any jewellery store in the shopping centre or mall.
Grand Seiko watches are high quality extremely well made watches incorporating mechanisms which can stand their own against Swiss made mechanisms and in some cases are superior..

How are they perceived which was the original question?
Depends on who you are. If you are a watch collector or watch aficionado chances are you will appreciate them for what they are as I describe above.
If you are someone looking for a new watch or a "Joe on the street" a Grand Seiko is an overpriced Seiko.
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 11:06 PM   #124
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
GS are doing just fine, and obviously not a brand for you. If you are referring to Rolex, their watches are trending ever larger.
New Rolexes are actually getting smaller in many areas and better proportioned. Case width isn’t an issue for me I prefer a 40-44mm case. But case thickness is a testament to quality and engineering. The thinner the better. GS has been limited in this regard because their movements are too thick. They’re working in it though. They’re newest movements are thinner allowing for thinner cases.

And their bracelets just need research and development. Rolex makes 3 main bracelets and they’ve refined them over and over. GS just needs to get on that level and continue to refine.

I think having “GS Grand Seiko” on the dial is redundant and a pet peeve of mine too. Just put one or the other or neither. My personal preference would be for the GS lion logo and nothing else on the upper dial.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 11:17 PM   #125
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
[QUOTE=Aberdein;10984887]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runny Eggs View Post
I think the brand is pretty soft right now, to be honest. Swiss enthusiasts think it's a joke, geeks think its too closely juxtaposed to the cheaper Seiko branding, and Joe on the street will just ask why didn't you buy a Rolex instead?

I think you have got it in one.

There are really two questions.

First what is Grand Seiko?
Grand Seiko is Seiko's attempt to go up market and compete with Swiss brands such a Omega, Tudor and even Rolex. To differentiate them from their modestly priced Seiko range costing in the few hundred pound range available at any jewellery store in the shopping centre or mall.
Grand Seiko watches are high quality extremely well made watches incorporating mechanisms which can stand their own against Swiss made mechanisms and in some cases are superior..

How are they perceived which was the original question?
Depends on who you are. If you are a watch collector or watch aficionado chances are you will appreciate them for what they are as I describe above.
If you are someone looking for a new watch or a "Joe on the street" a Grand Seiko is an overpriced Seiko.
Grand Seiko competed with Swiss brands in the 1960s and blew them out of the water. After Omega could only beat GS mechanicals with a quartz movement, the Chronometer competitions were shut down. There's an interesting video on those events, titled "Seiko at Astronomical Observatory Chronometer competitions - or - How the Swiss lost their honor." Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayUT5WfkHrA&t=14s
Old 11 October 2020, 11:38 PM   #126
GolfJunkie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoil4ever View Post
If Range Rover made a small, 2WD, convertible, 2 seater electric car... would it still be a Range Rover ?

It’s their way of doing it, and definitely is their brand identity. I hope they keep it this way. Their product becoming trendy could turn me away from the brand. What is happening to Rolex is a real downturn for some. I miss the days when I joined this forum 12 years ago and it was about watches, not premiums, waiting lists.

That being said I’ll add at least one more GS to my collection.
I agree with all of this. No desire to try to get a Rolex anymore.
GolfJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 11:41 PM   #127
GolfJunkie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Quote:

I think having “GS Grand Seiko” on the dial is redundant and a pet peeve of mine too. Just put one or the other or neither. My personal preference would be for the GS lion logo and nothing else on the upper dial.
I feel like this is very similar to Rolex have the coronet just above "Rolex" on the dial.
GolfJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 11:43 PM   #128
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfJunkie View Post
I feel like this is very similar to Rolex have the coronet just above "Rolex" on the dial.
Similar but GS Grand Seiko is literally just the abbreviation then it spelled out. I’d even prefer the lion and GS or lion and Grand Seiko over the abbreviation then it spelled out

I’m also one of those people that debadges cars. I like minimalism and reducing redundancy and clutter. Plus I think less is more with text and art. All we see is text all day everyday. I like my art to be text free. And I think it creates some intrigue and mystery when symbolism is used over text. If I showed someone a grand Seiko and they were reasonably familiar with watches they’d go oh it’s a Seiko product of some sort. But I’d rather them look at it and see the lion and then admire the dial and ask what it was and not have any notion that it was a Seiko Epson Corporation product.

Personal preference for sure. I brought this up in the Rolex forum also. I’d be getting rid of all the text. All I wanna see is a Hallmark, and maybe one line of text for the model name or some bragging words about a special technology like Spring Drive. But even then, I’d be putting that on the case back.

Dial to me is a canvas and I don’t want text on my canvas period.
Old 12 October 2020, 10:29 AM   #129
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
New Rolexes are actually getting smaller in many areas and better proportioned. Case width isn’t an issue for me I prefer a 40-44mm case. But case thickness is a testament to quality and engineering. The thinner the better. GS has been limited in this regard because their movements are too thick. They’re working in it though. They’re newest movements are thinner allowing for thinner cases.

And their bracelets just need research and development. Rolex makes 3 main bracelets and they’ve refined them over and over. GS just needs to get on that level and continue to refine.

Which Rolex models have become thinner, and by how much?
What is 'too thick' to you? You haven't been specific. Perhaps you are just looking at the larger GS divers and GMTs - they make plenty of thinner models too.

Going by your stated preferences/dislikes, you should maybe look at Movado or Nomos.
Old 12 October 2020, 01:36 PM   #130
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

The new submariner is a good recent example. They made the case, lugs, crownguard slimmer and more elegant and balanced I think.

My current watch is about 11.5mm thick and that’s acceptable but wouldn’t want much more than that and prefer thinner.

I’m looking for something with a screw down crown but doesn’t have to be a Diver.

I shop for many different brands. I have critiques of all of them. No such thing as perfect. Just nice to see improvements.

I didn’t like the submariner much at all before the current version. The little details make a big difference for me. I’m very particular.

So far one of the cleanest configurations I’ve seen is a limited edition platinum Omega Globemaster but it’s priced out of my range.

I’m sure GS will modernize the cases and bracelets. They’re competitive and want to have giant waitlists too.

I think we will see very interesting things from GS in 2021
Old 12 October 2020, 04:05 PM   #131
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The new submariner is a good recent example. They made the case, lugs, crownguard slimmer and more elegant and balanced I think.

My current watch is about 11.5mm thick and that’s acceptable but wouldn’t want much more than that and prefer thinner.

I’m looking for something with a screw down crown but doesn’t have to be a Diver.

I shop for many different brands. I have critiques of all of them. No such thing as perfect. Just nice to see improvements.

I didn’t like the submariner much at all before the current version. The little details make a big difference for me. I’m very particular.

So far one of the cleanest configurations I’ve seen is a limited edition platinum Omega Globemaster but it’s priced out of my range.

I’m sure GS will modernize the cases and bracelets. They’re competitive and want to have giant waitlists too.

I think we will see very interesting things from GS in 2021
The new Sub is bigger than the previous one - the only reason the lugs look fractionally smaller is because they widened the bracelet, which in turn has necessitated a larger clasp (now pretty much the same as the SD43's). The case, dial and hands are all larger than before so I'm not sure why you think it is slimmer.
Old 12 October 2020, 10:04 PM   #132
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Check out measurement videos comparing the different sub versions and it explains it well.

GS just had no excuses for 14mm cases on a datejust or GMT anymore. They’ve got the movements and everything is in-house. Just gotta get it done. And they really should refine their bracelets a bit and charge a bit more. I see them doing this. I think they want to get out of that $4-$5k range and shift up to $8-$9k entry level price and I see Rolex doing the same. Especially now that regular Seiko is getting up in the low thousands. Will be interesting to see what they come out with. Lots of opportunity with the new movements.
Old 13 October 2020, 09:18 AM   #133
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Check out measurement videos comparing the different sub versions and it explains it well.

GS just had no excuses for 14mm cases on a datejust or GMT anymore. They’ve got the movements and everything is in-house. Just gotta get it done. And they really should refine their bracelets a bit and charge a bit more. I see them doing this. I think they want to get out of that $4-$5k range and shift up to $8-$9k entry level price and I see Rolex doing the same. Especially now that regular Seiko is getting up in the low thousands. Will be interesting to see what they come out with. Lots of opportunity with the new movements.
I'm familiar with the dimensions of current and previous Subs, without the need for videos ; )

Again, I'm not sure which GS models you are referring to. If by 'datejust' you mean an automatic 3-hander with the date, then none that I know of are 14mm thick. Even the SLGH002 with an 80hr power reserve is only 11.7mm thick, and 42mm models such as the SBGR311 are 13mm thick. If you want minimal & elegant, there is the aptly-name Elegance collection - of which the SBGY002 is only 10mm thick yet still packs a Spring Drive movement with 72hr power reserve. Then there is Seiko's entire Credor range which is certainly elegant and understated.

For the larger, sportier watches bear in mind that a big part of the appeal for many is the case shape and zaratsu polishing. Personally I think that a large (44mm) GMT with date, 72hr power reserve, p/r meter, rotating bezel, 200m w/r and curved crystal is acceptable at 14mm thick. With regard to bracelets and clasps, GS are already introducing upgrades such as on the new SBGJ237.

Anyway, good luck with finding your near-ideal watch.
Old 13 October 2020, 09:55 AM   #134
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Well the SBGE201 is listed at 44mm/14.7mm thick. Not sure how accurate that is. But it just seems really chonk to me. The Rolex GMT Master II is 40x12.4 I believe. I’m just looking for them to scale it back a bit. 42x13 for a sports model is fine I think. I guess I’m not a Maxicase kinda guy. Who knows maybe in titanium it’s comfortable.

Their new SLGA001 is the only model with the movement I’m after and it’s a Godzilla monster.

If they could plop that movement in a time only diver or better yet a GMT. Scale it down to 42x13 I think it would be just right at about $7000. And better yet they put another $2000 into precious metal appliqué and bracelet R&D and ask $9000ish. That’s sort of the sweet spot I think.

Everyone’s got their own preference and opinion that’s just mine.
Old 14 October 2020, 11:20 PM   #135
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
[QUOTE=Old Expat Beast;10984934]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdein View Post

Grand Seiko competed with Swiss brands in the 1960s and blew them out of the water. After Omega could only beat GS mechanicals with a quartz movement, the Chronometer competitions were shut down. There's an interesting video on those events, titled "Seiko at Astronomical Observatory Chronometer competitions - or - How the Swiss lost their honor." Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayUT5WfkHrA&t=14s
...and there is your history lesson for the day.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote