The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 30 August 2020, 11:20 AM   #1
dummykid
"TRF" Member

Got scammed on Facebook group

I just want to share the lost, and this is my 2nd time got scammed.

I got a Omega Seamaster SMPc from him but once the watch maker opened up the caseback, he verified it was a fake watch.

Seller: Don Wynne, Jr.
phone:267-784-3412; 484-322-5477
email: donwynnejr@gmail.com ; dwjr@chesapeakesystems.com
Facebook name: Don Wynne
Watchuseek name: donwynnejr

( and I searched his info on google based on photos, he works for ChesapeakSystem, https://www.chesapeakebeg.com/meet-the-team).

I met him on chrono24 and he told me he was on both watchuseek and facebook Omega Seamster Community, so we agreed on the price and I paid him Paypel FF after he provided his references from the facebook OMEGA Seamaster Community.

I paid money $2485 on Sunday 08/23/2020 for a Seamaster SMPc black on bracelet and extra Omega Rubber band. However, he kept telling me he didn't have time to ship the watch until Wednesday and Friday. On Wednesday, he only shipped the rubber band to me via Fedex 2nd Day, then he told me he forgot the watch, so he shipped the watch to me via Fedex overnight on Friday.

After I got the watch, it was larger on my wrist, so I took the watch to my local watchmaker to size size the band, then I also request the watchmaker to open the caseback and verify the movement. The watchmaker immediately noticed the caseback was lose and he could open it without tool, then he told me the watch didn't have rubber gasket, and the movement is not OMEGA 2500D, so I was shocked that I got scammed again.

I then immediately contacted Don via Facebook messenger with the photos I took at the shop, but he didn't response me and it showed he had already read my message. Later on, he blocked me on facebook messenger, but luckily I had screenshot on his post asking for his reference.

I know his name, his address ( based on fedex), as well as which company he works for in his city, so is there a way to get money back? or I just have to learn the lesson AGAIN?

dummykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2020, 11:25 AM   #2
dummykid
"TRF" Member

Then he officially blocked me on Facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 August 2020, 12:14 PM   #3
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Facebook is no better than Chronocentric. A vipers nest of scammers.
Do you have a letter from the watchmaker to back up your grievance. If not get one and take the scammer to small claims court. I think thats really your only avenue to be made whole.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2020, 12:46 PM   #4
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by dummykid View Post
Then he officially blocked me on Facebook

Assuming it is really him, his name, and his work, and you can verify that, contact local and federal authorities.

The real concern, though, may be that Don Wynne is not Donn Wynne, but some other hidden scammer.

If he was dumb enough to do this under his real identity, he's even more stupid than he is criminal.

Sorry this happened to you, and good luck!
Cloudchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2020, 01:01 PM   #5
dummykid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudchaser View Post
Assuming it is really him, his name, and his work, and you can verify that, contact local and federal authorities.

The real concern, though, may be that Don Wynne is not Donn Wynne, but some other hidden scammer.

If he was dumb enough to do this under his real identity, he's even more stupid than he is criminal.

its real him coz I called both number, its the same voice mail sound.
Old 30 August 2020, 01:12 PM   #6
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
I have said many times, if you can't have the watch authenticated (inside and outside) in front of your eyes before you buy it then don't buy it. Not worth the risk. Better off buying new then.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2020, 01:39 PM   #7
dummykid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudchaser View Post

which federal authority should I reach?
Old 30 August 2020, 01:54 PM   #8
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
You walked past at least two dozen guys here who are the epitome of trust to their core (a few I've done business with), and instead went to some Joe Nobody on Facebook.
What can I say. When you put frugality over caution, you get done over.

Last edited by Lol-x; 30 August 2020 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Profanity
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2020, 02:27 PM   #9
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
which federal authority should I reach?
Sorry to say but the amount involved is not going to get federal authorities to lift a finger. Go the civil route
Old 30 August 2020, 04:23 PM   #10
BaliBryan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 RED, OP39,PAM
This whole thing is fake. Come on People. This persons name is dummy kid. Ya I got ripped off twice. Gee
BaliBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2020, 04:25 PM   #11
dummykid
"TRF" Member

Got scammed on Facebook group

I can’t deny above statement. I got scammed twice on the omega watches.

Less learnt and I won’t buy any watch from individual anymore. Even the references could be fake as well.

I am at least blessed that I bought a authentic BB58 from a group member here and experienced was great.

Old 30 August 2020, 09:45 PM   #12
VonSlingshot
"TRF" Member

Fool me once, shame on you
Fool me twice..... hit yourself on the head with a newspaper.

I think that’s how it goes... I could be wrong.
VonSlingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2020, 11:05 PM   #13
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
I know his name, his address ( based on fedex), as well as which company he works for in his city, so is there a way to get money back? or I just have to learn the lesson AGAIN?

I am sorry to see you were scammed again.

Not sure yet if you really know the name of the scammer yet - could be like the Chowdury one - this might be a hijacked FB account.

The Don Wynne Jr. FB account didn’t look active since March so it’s possibly been hijacked. Unlikely that the real Don Wynne Jr would be scamming watch buyers using his real FB account.

But if you proceed assuming the real Don Wynne Jr. is the true scammer, your route ought to be post in the FB Omega Community about this...

That is where this matter should be handled and not on TRF - IMHO it is a FB matter according to what you posted.

Again, sorry to hear - one way or the other it appears lightning can strike twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2020, 12:15 PM   #14
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post
You walked past at least two dozen guys here who are the epitome of trust to their core (a few I've done business with), and instead went to some Joe Nobody on Facebook.
What can I say. When you put frugality over caution, you get done over.
Well said.

OP, I’m assuming since you used PP FF, you’ll probably not be able to submit a claim. Best of luck getting your $ back.
Old 1 September 2020, 01:19 PM   #15
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Check out the profiles of the people who vouched for him - are they fake vouches?
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 01:21 PM   #16
dummykid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
Check out the profiles of the people who vouched for him - are they fake vouches?

I believe so, both seller and another buddy called David have blocked me on Facebook, so I can’t response any of their post saying I am a scammer and gave a fake watch for refund. Once I confront Don gave me a fake watch, he blocked me immediately on Facebook as you can see the pic i post above.

Old 1 September 2020, 01:26 PM   #17
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

That's the problem with the facebook groups - they all 'vouch' for the in crowd, even if they haven't done business, it's like a big circle jerk.

If I ever vouch I will qualify my comment with what I've done with that person - IE they bought a 4000 dollar watch from me and all good, or it was a 300 dollar insert - all good.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 01:47 PM   #18
dummykid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
That's the problem with the facebook groups - they all 'vouch' for the in crowd, even if they haven't done business, it's like a big circle jerk.

If I ever vouch I will qualify my comment with what I've done with that person - IE they bought a 4000 dollar watch from me and all good, or it was a 300 dollar insert - all good.
This is year is both good and bad to me. Got scammed 2 times and 2nd time was ridiculous with fake references and fake watch. However, the good side is I got my 114060 without waiting list from AD and a brand new BB58 from a nice seller here. In addition, I am grateful that a buyer trusted me and purchased BB58 from me.
Old 1 September 2020, 01:51 PM   #19
Zoomerang
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600
Call his dad, the president of the company!
Zoomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 05:43 PM   #20
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is year is both good and bad to me. Got scammed 2 times and 2nd time was ridiculous with fake references and fake watch. However, the good side is I got my 114060 without waiting list from AD and a brand new BB58 from a nice seller here. In addition, I am grateful that a buyer trusted me and purchased BB58 from me.

Honestly when you use paypal just insist on goods and services and say you’ll pay the extra fees on your end. Not sure that would have saved you but it would give you a lot more to work with and the extra fee wouldn’t have been that much.

SF, CA
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 09:00 AM   #21
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Good point chocope, I wouldn't FF anyone on anything, especially a watch....
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 09:55 AM   #22
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's not how its supposed to work. You got scammed twice, this year has been bad. Full stop.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 08:28 AM   #23
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
So sorry this happened to you TWICE OP. May I suggest changing your screen name to 'beentheredonethat" instead of "dummy kid"? LOL In all seriousness, I hope you are able to recoup your funds.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 11:35 AM   #24
newenglandpatriot
"TRF" Member

use your brain. find a watch, ask him where he lives, find a dealer there, call the dealer there, offer the dealer $ to authenticate the watch send money to the dealer, when watch arrives, seller gets paid and it is shipped! my god
newenglandpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 12:42 PM   #25
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandpatriot View Post
use your brain. find a watch, ask him where he lives, find a dealer there, call the dealer there, offer the dealer $ to authenticate the watch send money to the dealer, when watch arrives, seller gets paid and it is shipped! my god
No need to be rude about it. Whilst its feasible, it really isn't that great a plan to be the obvious choice and anyone that doesn't do it should be accused of not using their brain. I seem to recall you starting a thread on this before

Unless buying a rare piece (which I probably wouldn't want verified by a random dealer that happens to be near the seller). It sounds more hassle than just buying from a trusted seller / trusted website / brick and mortar store (online or in person), which would have been better advice to give the OP.

Also while very possible (and I am sure you will tell us you have done it). I would say it would take a lot of calling around in most cases. If I were a dealer I wouldn't want to get involved for minimal payment (again you will likely tell us that most dealers will jump on the chance of earning $100 or so, to get involved in such a sweet deal). It also assumes the seller lives near a dealer.

Who ships the watch, the dealer or seller.
If the seller then they could easily switch the watch (or ship an empty box) after verification but before shipping.
If the dealer then I'd expect them to be even more cautious as it sounds suspicious in the first place. Once they get involved in shipping, it could easily be a scam that the buyer/seller were both in on, ie the seller says they received an empty box. The dealer is then liable and the buyer/seller both appear to be innocent parties.
Or they both walk hand in had to the post office, see the first point that its too much hassle for most dealers to want to get involved in.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2020, 12:50 PM   #26
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
I can't imagine a more inconvenient way of buying a watch. And yes, don't be rude.
Old 9 September 2020, 01:57 PM   #27
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No way any self respecting dealer is going to offer that service. I only see potential downsides for the dealer, and what for a few $$. And any that do subscribe to this outlandish proposition I would question their motives.
Old 15 September 2020, 03:54 AM   #28
v1triol
"TRF" Member

@dummykid sorry to hear about your case, but tbh you did not have to open the watch to tell it is fake.
Look at the crown guards, your crown guards are convex, almost hugging the crown. That shouldn't be happening in real SMPc where the crownguards are concave. Here is my watch for the referrence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smpc.jpg (164.0 KB, 675 views)
File Type: jpg 503d19d16dd00ff05c05182af0c54372.jpg (162.4 KB, 674 views)
v1triol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 03:56 AM   #29
v1triol
"TRF" Member

If your Paypal is chained with your CC, the only way to challenge Paypel FF is to submit a claim to your CC operator, otherwise it is a lost case I am afraid. GL.
v1triol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 10:04 PM   #30
Chopped54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520, 116610lv,
I'd call the old man and let him know his son defrauded you out of $2500 and if the money is not returned you would be pressing charges. I would bet daddy has been bailing ol' junior out his entire life.....