The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 September 2020, 06:29 AM   #1
IR201
"TRF" Member

Is the GS Snowflake actually great?

I've been admiring this watch for years at this point, but just can't seem to pull the trigger on it. Something in the back of my head is telling me that I'd love it at first but then tire of it or something. I dunno. Any experiences out there with the snowflake in terms of what you thought when you first got it versus how you feel about it over time?
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 08:45 AM   #2
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
I've been admiring this watch for years at this point, but just can't seem to pull the trigger on it. Something in the back of my head is telling me that I'd love it at first but then tire of it or something. I dunno. Any experiences out there with the snowflake in terms of what you thought when you first got it versus how you feel about it over time?
I was in the exact same boat!

I've admired the Snowflake from the day it was released and had always planned to acquire one.

On a recent trip to my AD to check the status of an Omega I ordered a while ago, my AD was eager to show me the new Grand Seiko releases he received.

And although the new GS's were nice, none spoke to me.

I then noticed a Snowflake peeking out of the corner of the showcase.

20-seconds later, I had my CC out and was having the bracelet sized.

It's been on my wrist for a week now and to be honest, I kick myself for not getting one years ago.

On a side note, my AD told me that it's soon to be discontinued.....Frankly, I can't imagine GS ending production of what must be, one of their best sellers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SBGA211r.jpg (260.9 KB, 746 views)
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 08:45 AM   #3
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
I didn’t try one on until a few years back when I visited an AD and tried on the SBGA211. I couldn’t bring myself to buy it as I really liked the older dial. About a year later I found a good SBGA011 and added it to my one GS collection of an SBGA003.
I still enjoy the snowflake, but my Explorer 214270 gets more wrist time due to the easy link extension.
My only dislike of the Snowflake is a lack of a micro adjustment.
Other than that, I’m still delighted to wear it.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 12:54 PM   #4
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
I was in the exact same boat!

I've admired the Snowflake from the day it was released and had always planned to acquire one.

On a recent trip to my AD to check the status of an Omega I ordered a while ago, my AD was eager to show me the new Grand Seiko releases he received.

And although the new GS's were nice, none spoke to me.

I then noticed a Snowflake peeking out of the corner of the showcase.

20-seconds later, I had my CC out and was having the bracelet sized.

It's been on my wrist for a week now and to be honest, I kick myself for not getting one years ago.

On a side note, my AD told me that it's soon to be discontinued.....Frankly, I can't imagine GS ending production of what must be, one of their best sellers.
Wow congrats!! Looks beautiful indeed. That would be crazy if they discontinued it. Do you have reason to believe your AD is right? How have the predictions been historically?
Old 28 September 2020, 12:55 PM   #5
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
I didn’t try one on until a few years back when I visited an AD and tried on the SBGA211. I couldn’t bring myself to buy it as I really liked the older dial. About a year later I found a good SBGA011 and added it to my one GS collection of an SBGA003.
I still enjoy the snowflake, but my Explorer 214270 gets more wrist time due to the easy link extension.
My only dislike of the Snowflake is a lack of a micro adjustment.
Other than that, I’m still delighted to wear it.
Many thanks for inputs! I get the Explorer comfort - this is part of why I'm on the fence with the Snowflake. I know it won't feel like a Rolex in terms of comfort and I have to get my mind ready for that.
Old 28 September 2020, 01:12 PM   #6
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Wow congrats!! Looks beautiful indeed. That would be crazy if they discontinued it. Do you have reason to believe your AD is right? How have the predictions been historically?
My AD's insights have always been spot-on. I'm sure if the Snowflake is discontinued, a superior replacement can't be far behind.

My prediction: thinner case, adjustable clasp, longer power reserve.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 01:37 PM   #7
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43
Wear a Rolex to impressed others. Wear a snowflake to impressed yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
moneymike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 03:00 PM   #8
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Many thanks for inputs! I get the Explorer comfort - this is part of why I'm on the fence with the Snowflake. I know it won't feel like a Rolex in terms of comfort and I have to get my mind ready for that.
My Snowflake is more comfortable than any Rolex I own. Part of it is the light weight, the other part is my wrists don't swell excessively. I swear some guys claim to turn into the Incredible Hulk when the temperature rises by 5 degrees.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 09:27 PM   #9
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My AD's insights have always been spot-on. I'm sure if the Snowflake is discontinued, a superior replacement can't be far behind.

Agree - the 5 day power reserve 9RA5 will likely become the standard spring drive, as the 95AS will replace the current Hi-beat mechanicals

how that will affect the look of the watch is questionable - but I wouldn't be surprised to see the PR indicator on the back...

there will always be a Snowflake in the GS lineup however -
Old 28 September 2020, 09:34 PM   #10
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agree - the 5 day power reserve 9RA5 will likely become the standard spring drive, as the 95AS will replace the current Hi-beat mechanicals

how that will affect the look of the watch is questionable - but I wouldn't be surprised to see the PR indicator on the back...

there will always be a Snowflake in the GS lineup however -

as far as the OP's concern - I keep saying the snowflake keeps getting better..

I took a big leap because the light weight of titanium is usually a turn off for me (I like to feel the watch in my hand - and have never felt any weight to be difficult to carry on my wrist) - but the details in the dial keep slowly revealing themselves over continued wear - the dial highlights, and crevices, and matte parts, it seems different every time I look at like, like the snow is actually drifting ...
3 years later, I am still smitten with the snowflake - although I do have it as part of a heavy rotation - so it continues to surprise me every couple of weeks when I put it back on...
Old 28 September 2020, 11:44 PM   #11
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Depends on your definition of great. Bought mine 3 weeks ago and still puts a smile on my face. I luv the fact that it’s very subtle vs higher-end pieces in my collection and wears super light which makes it hard to take off the wrist.
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 09:53 AM   #12
IR201
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys for the inputs. If the size is going to be reduced, do you welcome that? Or like it as is?
Old 29 September 2020, 10:46 AM   #13
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
My Snowflake is more comfortable than any Rolex I own. Part of it is the light weight, the other part is my wrists don't swell excessively. I swear some guys claim to turn into the Incredible Hulk when the temperature rises by 5 degrees.

Lol I think I might actually be Bruce Banner. Give me a pinch of sodium and it’s time to adjust the glidelock.

Old 29 September 2020, 12:43 PM   #14
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I prefer pink seasons tbh, the case size is way superior to me
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 10:22 PM   #15
Helmi
"TRF" Member

I own 2 GS watches (SBGJ235 and SBGH269), both high beat and both look stunning. In both occasions buying these watches, I had the pleasure trying the snow flake and in fact I was offered to buy it at 20% discount from the AD which I have great relationship with. Honestly I couldn't pull the trigger because:

1- the weight seemed very light that made the watch feel flimsy to me
2- titanium grey hue did put me off
3- titanium scratches much easier than steel and looks very beat up (I have work colleague who owns the snow flake and it looks like vintage watch beat up).
4- probably I will get lots of cr*p for this one but I am not fan of spring drive movement, yes it is accurate but it lacks soul.

Having said all the above, the dial is gorgeous and the smooth sweep of seconds hand is magic to look at
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 10:29 PM   #16
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
I am not fan of spring drive movement, yes it is accurate but it lacks soul.
I would argue that a naturally grown crystal beating at its own natural pace has at least as much 'soul' as a man-made, chemically treated balance wheel
Old 29 September 2020, 11:20 PM   #17
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

3- titanium scratches much easier than steel and looks very beat up (I have work colleague who owns the snow flake and it looks like vintage watch beat up).
4- probably I will get lots of cr*p for this one but I am not fan of spring drive movement, yes it is accurate but it lacks soul.
The other 3 are valid opinions (that I don't share), but valid nonetheless. However, my experience is that my titanium watches are no less durable than my steel ones.
Old 30 September 2020, 01:04 AM   #18
kevn00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with it lacking soul. but then i look at the smooth sweep and i am ok with that.
kevn00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 01:09 AM   #19
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Yes... it is actually great, IMO. It was my first GS and I still get great enjoyment when I wear it. Love the weight, the metal,
The dial, the movement ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 01:16 AM   #20
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Check this review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGroXKXlavk
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 02:55 AM   #21
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I prefer pink seasons tbh, the case size is way superior to me
Same. I tried on the Snowflake and loved the dial, but the case dimensions did not work for me. Also, I determined that the light weight of titanium was not for me. I have on backorder the SBGA413 Shunbun (Pink) from the Four Seasons collection. I also ordered a nice strap for the watch, as I prefer it to the titanium bracelet.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 09:19 PM   #22
JSL420
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I would argue that a naturally grown crystal beating at its own natural pace has at least as much 'soul' as a man-made, chemically treated balance wheel
💯 agree
Ppl are so turned off by the word ‘quartz’
That’s probably because most quartz watches are cheaply made (nothing wrong with that)

But GS quartz are just another level, they grow their own quartz and the movement is beautifully made, and has the accuracy of +-5 sec a year.
That’s refinement and innovation

I would rather buy a GS quartz than a ETA tudor
JSL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 12:43 PM   #23
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I own 2 GS watches (SBGJ235 and SBGH269), both high beat and both look stunning. In both occasions buying these watches, I had the pleasure trying the snow flake and in fact I was offered to buy it at 20% discount from the AD which I have great relationship with. Honestly I couldn't pull the trigger because:

Having said all the above, the dial is gorgeous and the smooth sweep of seconds hand is magic to look at

First off, I love GS and I have the SBGE257. Really happy with that purchase, and I bought it sight unseen (in the metal), as I preordered it. Only watch I’ve done that.

As for the snowflake, I didn’t like it for the same reason as #1. When holding the watch, it just felt cheap. GS bracelets already aren’t the absolute best, so clanky and with the titanium it just unfortunately felt cheap.

The dial is amazing, ascetics are awesome, zaratsu polishing, and I love love love spring drive. It’s one of the most fascinating movements out there, and it’s easy to say that nothing in the world compares.

As far as spring drive not having a soul, I assume since you have two GS watches you know a lot about the brand. But it really feels like you don’t know much about spring drive or mechanical movements (sorry). I’m a mechanical engineer, so naturally mechanical watches really interest me. Yes I don’t like “traditional” quartz watches. The spring drive is not that. It’s also not what was developed over the years, ie kinetic watches charging a battery. This is a mechanical watch, with the one major exception that instead of an escapement you have a free spinning glide wheel that is regulated with a magnetic brake from the quartz oscillating and powered by the mainspring. I mean it’s literally the coolest thing in horology.

The analogy I’d make is when cars went from carburetor to fuel injection. Or throttle going to fly by wire. It’s technological advancement that is amazing. And yes I see the car still has an engine and a soul.

Check out this video, good (and fascinating) explanation on spring drive.

https://youtu.be/jVoRoK1u3Dg

Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2020, 08:59 PM   #24
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
First off, I love GS and I have the SBGE257. Really happy with that purchase, and I bought it sight unseen (in the metal), as I preordered it. Only watch I’ve done that.

As for the snowflake, I didn’t like it for the same reason as #1. When holding the watch, it just felt cheap. GS bracelets already aren’t the absolute best, so clanky and with the titanium it just unfortunately felt cheap.

The dial is amazing, ascetics are awesome, zaratsu polishing, and I love love love spring drive. It’s one of the most fascinating movements out there, and it’s easy to say that nothing in the world compares.

As far as spring drive not having a soul, I assume since you have two GS watches you know a lot about the brand. But it really feels like you don’t know much about spring drive or mechanical movements (sorry). I’m a mechanical engineer, so naturally mechanical watches really interest me. Yes I don’t like “traditional” quartz watches. The spring drive is not that. It’s also not what was developed over the years, ie kinetic watches charging a battery. This is a mechanical watch, with the one major exception that instead of an escapement you have a free spinning glide wheel that is regulated with a magnetic brake from the quartz oscillating and powered by the mainspring. I mean it’s literally the coolest thing in horology.

The analogy I’d make is when cars went from carburetor to fuel injection. Or throttle going to fly by wire. It’s technological advancement that is amazing. And yes I see the car still has an engine and a soul.

Check out this video, good (and fascinating) explanation on spring drive.

https://youtu.be/jVoRoK1u3Dg

I truly apologize if my comment about spring drive offended many people, I am not arguing it’s technical superiority. It is just feeling that it is electric and despite well decorated and driven by a home grown quartz crystal, that doesn’t make it feel same as the traditional mechanical movement. The examples about drive/break by wire do not resonate with me. In fact for me it like a Porsche with traditional naturally aspirated engine with stick shifter vs. new turbo charged porsches with pdk.

Anyway to each their own, and it is normal that we all do not like same things but for me spring drive is closer to being a gadget than a mechanical watch. And may be one day I will buy one of those cool gadgets

Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 09:33 AM   #25
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:

I think the 'magic' sweep is what people see as the soul.

A quartz goes tick tick tick, once a second like some robot metronome. Either clinically accurate, or too boring, depending on your perspective.

A traditional mechanical watch can go tickety-tick, four times a second (or five with hi-beat) for a smoother movement, baring the mechanical soul which comes from traditional handcrafted watchmaking but is replicated millions of times a year across the major manufacturers.

The spring drive is special and doesn't tick at all, it just smoothly slides through time, something not offered by nearly any traditional watch brands or even by modern smartwatches.

It's like showing up to a dance where some people are doing classical 18th century waltz, and there's some 1950s kids in the corner trying to move it on with the Cha-Cha. And then the whole room collectively drop their jaws as Michael Jackson moonwalks across the stage. Are we saying MJ doesn't have a soul because he practiced in front of a video camera to get his moves 'perfect'?

If the dial is gorgeous and the movement is smooth as hell, magic to look at, and not replicated by rivals, then yes I think you can say the watch is pretty special. Does that mean it has a soul? I think it does, but who cares. It's mesmerising, whether the 'soul' is doing that, or some other thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSL420 View Post
Ppl are so turned off by the word ‘quartz’

But GS quartz are just another level

I would rather buy a GS quartz than a ETA tudor
A couple of years ago I bought an ETA Tudor as NOS (Black Bay Red). As a package, I preferred the thinner profile of the ETA and the more classical/fun face features over the new untested in-house movement that Tudor were offering on the facelifted version. Liked it, bought it, still liked it, it's a keeper.

This year I bought my first GS quartz, one of the 2020 special editions with a striking blue dial and that 5-pointed gold star to indicate outrageous 5s / year accuracy along with its decades-long service interval, so I don't need to bother bringing up time.gov when setting any of my other watches from it. Liked it, bought it, still liked it, it's a keeper.

Both watches cost me €2600-2800 via reputable dealers on Chrono24.

We all know you don't need to spend €2000+ on a watch to get an ETA movement, even if it has some in-house modifications, and you don't need to spend €2000+ to get a quartz watch, even if it has some thermal compensation or general accuracy improvements. But despite this, I did both, as I liked the watches, and wouldn't say one was 'better' than the other.

I don't have the snowflake, as despite that mesmerising movement, I didn't like the bracelet (which felt light and lacked adjustment compared to the steel Oyster ones from Rolex), so would have put it on a leather strap like a dress watch; and I already have a couple of white-faced steel-cased leather-strapped dress watches. I've no burning need to upgrade or sideways-grade one of those to get the snowflake. For me, it'll just stay on the back burner. Although I do like it. Maybe the 'skyflake' will appeal first.

I do like the spring drive a lot, and as I don't have a GMT perhaps that will be my way in to Spring Drive ownership. Though some of the ones I liked the look of are simply too big (44mm) so am biding my time for some smaller special edition with an amazing dial :-)
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 12:26 PM   #26
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post

A traditional mechanical watch can go tickety-tick, four times a second (or five with hi-beat) for a smoother movement, baring the mechanical soul which comes from traditional handcrafted watchmaking but is replicated millions of times a year across the major manufacturers.
"Ticking" five times a second is not hi-beat. Even your Tudor ETA does eight times a second. A modern Seiko Hi-Beat is ten times per second (though some of the vintage GS and KS Hi-Beats were eight times a second back in the 60s and 70s).
Old 5 October 2020, 01:23 PM   #27
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post
I think the 'magic' sweep is what people see as the soul.

A quartz goes tick tick tick, once a second like some robot metronome. Either clinically accurate, or too boring, depending on your perspective.

The spring drive is special and doesn't tick at all, it just smoothly slides through time, something not offered by nearly any traditional watch brands or even by modern smartwatches.

It's like showing up to a dance where some people are doing classical 18th century waltz, and there's some 1950s kids in the corner trying to move it on with the Cha-Cha. And then the whole room collectively drop their jaws as Michael Jackson moonwalks across the stage. Are we saying MJ doesn't have a soul because he practiced in front of a video camera to get his moves 'perfect'?

If the dial is gorgeous and the movement is smooth as hell, magic to look at, and not replicated by rivals, then yes I think you can say the watch is pretty special. Does that mean it has a soul? I think it does, but who cares. It's mesmerising, whether the 'soul' is doing that, or some other thing.

A couple of years ago I bought an ETA Tudor as NOS (Black Bay Red). As a package, I preferred the thinner profile of the ETA and the more classical/fun face features over the new untested in-house movement that Tudor were offering on the facelifted version. Liked it, bought it, still liked it, it's a keeper.

This year I bought my first GS quartz, one of the 2020 special editions with a striking blue dial and that 5-pointed gold star to indicate outrageous 5s / year accuracy along with its decades-long service interval, so I don't need to bother bringing up time.gov when setting any of my other watches from it. Liked it, bought it, still liked it, it's a keeper.

Both watches cost me €2600-2800 via reputable dealers on Chrono24.

We all know you don't need to spend €2000+ on a watch to get an ETA movement, even if it has some in-house modifications, and you don't need to spend €2000+ to get a quartz watch, even if it has some thermal compensation or general accuracy improvements. But despite this, I did both, as I liked the watches, and wouldn't say one was 'better' than the other.

I don't have the snowflake, as despite that mesmerising movement, I didn't like the bracelet (which felt light and lacked adjustment compared to the steel Oyster ones from Rolex), so would have put it on a leather strap like a dress watch; and I already have a couple of white-faced steel-cased leather-strapped dress watches. I've no burning need to upgrade or sideways-grade one of those to get the snowflake. For me, it'll just stay on the back burner. Although I do like it. Maybe the 'skyflake' will appeal first.

I do like the spring drive a lot, and as I don't have a GMT perhaps that will be my way in to Spring Drive ownership. Though some of the ones I liked the look of are simply too big (44mm) so am biding my time for some smaller special edition with an amazing dial :-)

Sbge257! They also have a blue dial and black dial version.

Go check it out.

Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 08:47 AM   #28
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
One other thing I dislike about the Snowflake is the titanium appearance as dull and that is only because I own a Grand Seiko in steel (SBGA003).
If you put the snowflake next to a Rolex Explorer, they both look like they are made out of steel.
If you put a snowflake next to a steel Grand Seiko, it looks like titanium.
Grand Seiko zaratsu polished steel is on another level and more in the category of Patek and AP.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2020, 04:50 AM   #29
cigamodnalro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
One other thing I dislike about the Snowflake is the titanium appearance as dull and that is only because I own a Grand Seiko in steel (SBGA003).
If you put the snowflake next to a Rolex Explorer, they both look like they are made out of steel.
If you put a snowflake next to a steel Grand Seiko, it looks like titanium.
Grand Seiko zaratsu polished steel is on another level and more in the category of Patek and AP.

Titanium is darker than steel and by all accounts more difficult to polish, but IMO there’s nothing at all dull about the finish on the snowflake. The case has dozens of mirrored surfaces. You can’t turn your wrist without reflecting and refracting light all over the place. I do agree that it looks dark and brooding in a dark room in a way that a steel GS doesn’t (a cool contrast with the big white face), but get the Snowflake in the sunlight and its case shines every bit as much as steel does

cigamodnalro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2020, 11:25 PM   #30
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Mine is.