The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 December 2021, 09:37 PM   #151
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Well, pricing is going to be fake and made up anyway.

Here's what'll happen:

1) Some enterprising grey market dealers will post up some listings on Chrono24 to put out some feelers at very high prices (maybe it'll start at $900k).

2) The aforementioned auction will happen, the bidders will think the market price is around where the handful of greys in step #1 above set the floor at. The auction will complete at or above that valuation.

3) Everyone will say "Well, the auction matched up a buyer to a seller, so clearly that's how free/open/efficient markets work, and thus this is the price! Whatever someone is willing to pay is the price!"

4) People from step #3 will die on their sword swearing that this is how it works, failing to realize that this isn't an efficient liquid market, so it's irrelevant.

5) Everyone else, including the very reputable grey dealers who don't participate in step #1 will latch onto that pricing.

And voi la! This is how you artificially inflate valuations and continue to perpetuate the horrible state we're in (i.e., "watches are investments").

Since everyone here already agrees that the T-Blue 5711/1a will be a $1 million + watch in the grey market, can't we skip steps 1-4? Think of the anguish this will save.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 09:44 PM   #152
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

And furthermore, is anyone else perturbed that CNBC refers to the future owners to the T-Blue 5711 as "lucky buyers"? How much luck is involved?
Old 7 December 2021, 10:02 PM   #153
DRS Enabled
Banned

Almost entirely all luck? Whoever getting allocated a watch is basically being given a million dollars
DRS Enabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 10:28 PM   #154
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
Patek Phillipe: We do not want to be a one watch brand, so we are going to discontinue the 5711.

Also Patek Phillipe: Lets make a green dial, a green dial with diamonds, AND a Tiffany blue 5711 to make the watch even more talked about and dominant in our line up...
Kid Stern is trolling, and doing a great job too! i'd be LOL'ing all the way to the banksters. So if you see someone wearing a 5711 TIF, be sure to LOL @ them.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 10:44 PM   #155
Climaxoxo
Banned

That is a beautiful watch. The turquoise really pops.
Climaxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 11:14 PM   #156
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrira View Post
So much negativity in this thread – but I suppose that’s to be expected when Patek does anything remotely controversial. At the end of the day, it’s 170 pieces for highly valued Tiffany clients, which means it won’t exactly be prevalent; I think it’s pointless to let it dampen our enjoyment of our Pateks. Remember the Black Panther release from AP? AP easily brushed aside the backlash stemming from that release, as will Patek from this one. If anything, it’ll make Patek even more desirable.
I agree with you entirely. The only thing that’s a question mark for me is the tension between this move and the public posture Patek has previously taken, including on the AP Black Panther: https://www.afr.com/life-and-luxury/...0210416-p57jw1

“I saw the watch,” says Stern. “I was a little bit sad for them because it shows that maybe they don’t have any more ideas. And they should have plenty of beautiful ideas.

That quote can be applied perfectly to this LVMH release, IMHO. No need for negativity, though, one way or the other.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 11:17 PM   #157
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
And furthermore, is anyone else perturbed that CNBC refers to the future owners to the T-Blue 5711 as "lucky buyers"? How much luck is involved?
A lot! Need to be either in lucky sperm club or born in right decade to have made (and spent) enough money to be in the running!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 11:18 PM   #158
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Me.

I'm usually perturbed when "mainstream media" tries to sound like they know what they're talking about.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 02:47 AM   #159
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Bob Maron got one. lol.
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 03:17 AM   #160
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
Bob Maron got one. lol.
Greys already have it!
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 03:32 AM   #161
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
Patek Phillipe: We do not want to be a one watch brand, so we are going to discontinue the 5711.

Also Patek Phillipe: Lets make a green dial, a green dial with diamonds, AND a Tiffany blue 5711 to make the watch even more talked about and dominant in our line up...
mr stern always said that they will release multiple farewell releases for 5711 (or at least kept it open for speculation) and that it will be replaced by a successor. what's wrong with that?

They also release enamel dome clocks and a variety of beautiful other rare handcrafts that are beautiful but nobody here cares. No other company does that.

I just can't get upset about it and kinda like it. especially since it celebrates a 170 year partnership.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 04:29 AM   #162
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
Bob Maron got one. lol.
That was a screen shot off someones else's IG story...

He will get one however no doubt lol
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 04:39 AM   #163
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
mr stern always said that they will release multiple farewell releases for 5711 (or at least kept it open for speculation) and that it will be replaced by a successor. what's wrong with that?
Do you know if / when the Supreme version will be released?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 8 December 2021, 04:59 AM   #164
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Let's be honest. You don't really like that color on a watch. Looks like Tiffany gift wrap on your wrist. Might as well have a massive white ribbon for your strap. Our course interesting because limited but uggh.
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 05:12 AM   #165
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Not even funny hahah
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 05:13 AM   #166
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
lol you been hating on patek for so long - do you even like the brand at all ???
Old 8 December 2021, 05:20 AM   #167
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
lol you been hating on patek for so long - do you even like the brand at all ???
Sales 101, the most passionate haters are the most passionate lovers.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 06:03 AM   #168
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Sales 101, the most passionate haters are the most passionate lovers.
Yup, I was a lover when Dad Stern did so many wonderful things.

Old 8 December 2021, 06:15 AM   #169
ragsk
Banned

Seriously that is a really crap colour for the 5711. Yuk
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 06:21 AM   #170
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
You guys remember the Smurf blue M3? That was cool.

This is not cool as it’s a stupid branding exercise and a total lack of innovation which is mainly what this company is about now.

I suppose we should be grateful they didn’t do these with a LV Daumier dial.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 07:02 AM   #171
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Now, that would be cool! Limited edition, maybe 51, only distributed to those who were awarded a green dial 5711 AND a Tiffany dial 5711. The MOST worthy amongst the worthy.
Old 8 December 2021, 07:09 AM   #172
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
PP effortlessly releases yet another of the most collectible, desirable watches in the world.

Genius
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 07:58 AM   #173
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I like it, and not sure why the anger to be honest, for such a small run.

Oh, and Thierry did not say the green 5711 would be the end. He hinted quite the opposite in fact in a Hodinkee interview:

Hodinkee: Why the last victory lap for the 5711 with a green dial?

Thierry Stern: Well, for me, it was more of a way to say thank you to all of you who have been supporting us with the Nautilus. It was my duty to do it. I wanted to do something nice. But it’s not the end of the Nautilus, it’s just the end of the 5711.

I didn’t say it was the last round, by the way.

There is another bomb coming out...maybe.

Believe me, you will remember the maybe.
Exactly what I was thinking, this sounds exactly like the last bombshell he was talking about back then.

I am surprised at how many on here think the lucky buyers will look to cash or flip these in. Somehow I feel if you can afford to spend $50m - 100m+ on junk at Tiffany, then your not getting excited at making $2m profit on a 5711 (it’s is not gonna swell your bank balance much).

Personally I think it’s a keeper for these guys, but I suppose if they have to keep the Macallan 78 Red for special occasions or can only afford $450k for a cheap seat Virgin Galactic they may need the money.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 08:03 AM   #174
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai-man View Post
Personally I think it’s a keeper for these guys, but I suppose if they have to keep the Macallan 78 Red for special occasions or can only afford $450k for a cheap seat Virgin Galactic they may need the money.
Old 8 December 2021, 08:20 AM   #175
Cease676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
That was a screen shot off someones else's IG story...

He will get one however no doubt lol

Yup took the screen shot off Alexander Arnault’s IG page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cease676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 09:17 AM   #176
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
I agree with you entirely. The only thing that’s a question mark for me is the tension between this move and the public posture Patek has previously taken, including on the AP Black Panther: https://www.afr.com/life-and-luxury/...0210416-p57jw1

“I saw the watch,” says Stern. “I was a little bit sad for them because it shows that maybe they don’t have any more ideas. And they should have plenty of beautiful ideas.

That quote can be applied perfectly to this LVMH release, IMHO. No need for negativity, though, one way or the other.

Again, I don't think for a second you can compare that 5711 to the AP Marvel move. The AP move imho is ridiculous and it's a strategic one, with a multi-year partnership, several watches coming out of it and god only knows how many more horrors.

This PP is a limited edition made for a 170 years of collaboration with their more exclusive AD at the time Tiffany changes hands to LVMH (which is a corporate also close to Stern) while at the same time PP discontinues what is certainly its most iconic watch.

The fact that people don't like it is perfectly fine. But I am at a loss understanding why anyone would compare that to the still unexplainable move of AP starting to make cereal box watches with a comics franchise on a long-term strategic partnership.
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 01:18 PM   #177
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The ironic thing to me is that the detractors couldn’t get one of the 170 anyway - so the comments are rhetorical at best.

When DavidSW snatches one and asks upward of $5mil….well then we shall see.

The auction should be interesting - it is the only way a non-VVVVVIP can get one. Since the top .0000000000001% will get theirs at Tiffany, the 99.999999999999% must bid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 01:50 PM   #178
martinr
"TRF" Member

It’s a freaking different color dial. Big deal.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 02:04 PM   #179
vh2k
"TRF" Member

It’s just a watch.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 02:45 PM   #180
vh2k
"TRF" Member

vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote