The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 December 2021, 09:02 AM   #211
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Todays flex.
Wow! That was my first watch ever. My mom saved it all these years and recently gave it back to me. I guess she started me down this journey. I'll skip the TP 5711...20211208_175158.jpg
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 10:45 PM   #212
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Exactly, PP no longer puts any real effort into... If this was decades ago, Dad Stern would have done something truly special (new movement).

Or we've had the rare PPs, very rare WorldTime dealer-only wall clocks... and now with Kid Stern doing his antics we no longer want to play his child-like games. Over the decades have been offered some mighty rare Pateks from collectors that stay under the radar. While i may be the rare outward voice, there are many more longtimers who feel as i do about Kid Stern's 'leadership' of PP.

PP lost their reputation long ago imho, and this recent trolling by Kid Stern only reinforces our belief of the now-ongoing downhill trajectory of what was, decades ago, the Great House of Patek. Dad Stern would have done something truly special, we all know this, yet Kid Stern chose to use this historic opportunity to troll PP's TIF clients (note i said clients, not horology enthusiasts).
Totally agree.
dbfagan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 10:54 PM   #213
Goin2drt
Banned

Now they made an ugly watch even uglier. Make it limited and get social media to have a feeding frenzy.

Not a hater, even if I had the means this would not be on my list. Honestly I will say it and don't care about the flaming. Someone could give me that watch and I wouldn't wear it. I would sell it faster than I could call David SW.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 12:10 AM   #214
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Brand collaboration is obviously huge right now - brand x + brand y - is everywhere. Patek had a good, tasteful thing going with T&Co. and the small branding on their pieces was a discrete way of distinguishing them. LVMH has collected tons of brands as we all know, each with their own identity and client base.

LV vs Loro Piana. Both produce great products. LV will splash the logo across everything. On the other hand, you are the only one who will know you are wearing LP (perhaps with the exception of the highly publicized summer walk shoes).

PP has aligned more with LP and the understated, tasteful, individualized look. Sure, some of their pieces have become iconic but it’s not their logo. The problem I have is the break with their image towards a more LV, logo in your face type of product. Tiffany blue is their logo, unmistakably. Can care less about the exclusivity or price. If people are smart you will see 150 for sale at auction.
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 01:18 AM   #215
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Ugh......
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 02:54 AM   #216
besiktas
"TRF" Member

it is a joke where the market went now, all because of the greedy new rich people that goes and buys everything over price without even caring and f**king the market for the rest of us.. Nautilus should be a 30k watch, not more! only because of some sort of silly trend.
besiktas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 03:05 AM   #217
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
it is a joke where the market went now, all because of the greedy new rich people that goes and buys everything over price without even caring and f**king the market for the rest of us.. Nautilus should be a 30k watch, not more! only because of some sort of silly trend.

I don’t know, part of me is just really fascinated that appreciating fine watches is becoming mainstream. I remember the discussion just a few years ago was about how the Apple Watch would end any interest in watches.

Maybe I hope that some celebrity will get some younger version of myself thinking about that first watch. It might just be a Swatch (as was mine), but it may be their first step in this wonderful hobby. Don’t forget… watch collecting isn’t that far removed from hobbies like stamp or coin collecting, both of which are dying out.

Clearly the most frustrating issue that supply has not kept up with demand in the most desirable brands. I’m hopeful this will get cured over time, with both modest production increases from Patek and Rolex, but perhaps more importantly, shifting preferences to other manufactures and emergent brands.
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 04:14 AM   #218
qrc36
"TRF" Member

Did anybody spot this following passage on page 42 of the latest Patek magazine (Volume IV Number 11)?

... And herein is the key to understanding Patek Philippe's unique position. The company does not treat watchmaking as an extension of the fashion accessory market, nor as a upmarket branded merchandise to tie into a popular cultural franchise; there are neither "collaborations" nor "ambassadors". ...

Scratching my head ... hello, what did you just launch?
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 04:16 AM   #219
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
There are better ways to do this than the elitist approach of TS.

PP could have instead created an open edition the standard 5711, with a centrally managed window/slot/lottery to purchase at MSRP. He could have set a production date through 12/2021 and threw more resources in the final year to increase SS supply.

Jan 1 2021: “I’ve decided in the final year to ramp up production. We will kick off a site on Jan 6 where anyone can register to purchase a 5711. On Jan 13 we will close the site. Depending on the number of requests, we will likely use a lottery to match production to requester. I have also shifted resources so we can, for this year only, exceed our standard production. I know that many of you will not be able to purchase a 5711 through this process but, we are working hard to bring this watch to as many of you as we can.”

Context. Moonwatch fans for years wanted Omega to make a Moonwatch with the c321 movement. The excuse was always that the movement was now owned by Richemont or something like that. If you wanted the movement worn on the moon, then you’d need to go vintage. End of story.

In 2019, Omega surprised everyone by recreating the c321 movement. They actually did it! They set up a small atelier with each watch being hand assembled by one watchmaker. So, that’s a gimmick and maybe they squeeze out 2000 of these movements a year.

They first paired it with a platinum case, and an enamel dial with moon rock sub dial surfaces. Not a limited edition, but costing over $50K USD. They referred to this as the first model to use the movement, tipping their hand that something would come later.

A year later in 2020, just before the pandemic, a recreation of the Ed White Moonwatch was created also with the c321 movement. Again, not a limited edition, but more affordable at $14K USD. Dealers took 100% deposits. Customers sat and waited. Watches have slowly trickled out since then.

Note the differences. The creativity was in bringing back the movement. There was no brand tie in. The effort went mainly to helping satisfy the watch lover, not just to the investor/speculator. They didn’t just create a $50K watch, they extended down by a lot. They also could increase supply if they were to create a 3rd model. They haven’t ruled that out forever and ever.

And while all of that was going on, they updated their standard Moonwatch for 2021, which are widely available.

Now some of you may argue that Omega’s niche/DNA is to appeal to a wider group, being part of Swatch. I agree. However, it’s hard to imagine Greg Kissling getting much pleasure creating a tiny dial variant edition to make the Uber rich go nuts.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 05:50 AM   #220
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Spoke to my sales person at Tiffanys today. He said he's getting calls from clients across the globe frantic in trying to get one of these watches. Also, has Chinese client with a 4 million Patek history he's trying to help, he said very difficult if even possible.

These mostly will be sold at the higher corporate level, very few at the store level.
I’m starting to doubt my strategy of talking a newbie PP SA into making this my first Patek…

Old 10 December 2021, 08:20 AM   #221
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Love the Mickey timepieces! Historic!

Just got delivery, only 1999 made. Nice 100m WP rating, very solid case, very comfortable bracelet... yet lousy low-end two-year warranty. Fun to wear and fewer of these than... so no worries during a gtg.

The historical significance is incredible when you think about Hamilton's original achievement decades ago. Maybe Patek can one day find their magic they once had decades ago too.

hamilton-psr-mtx-digital-watch.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 09:00 AM   #222
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Well it didn't take long for this... flippers going to flip... and this time flip BIG... Jomashop just listed one for $2,500,000... Yep, two and a half MILLION dollars... Now I have no clue if they actually have the watch or just trying to manipulate the market price, but this is pure madness...

https://www.jomashop.com/patek-phili...11-1a-018.html
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 09:01 AM   #223
besiktas
"TRF" Member

paying a stainless steel watch with a regular mechanism 10 times what it is worth is not appreciating, most of those watches end up with people who doesn't know anything about them but posting them online to show off... As a result, real collectors and enthusiasts can not get those.

In what world, a 5711A is more expensive than 5131G? If you said that 6-7 years ago people would laugh at you :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmichNJ View Post
I don’t know, part of me is just really fascinated that appreciating fine watches is becoming mainstream. I remember the discussion just a few years ago was about how the Apple Watch would end any interest in watches.

Maybe I hope that some celebrity will get some younger version of myself thinking about that first watch. It might just be a Swatch (as was mine), but it may be their first step in this wonderful hobby. Don’t forget… watch collecting isn’t that far removed from hobbies like stamp or coin collecting, both of which are dying out.

Clearly the most frustrating issue that supply has not kept up with demand in the most desirable brands. I’m hopeful this will get cured over time, with both modest production increases from Patek and Rolex, but perhaps more importantly, shifting preferences to other manufactures and emergent brands.
Old 10 December 2021, 09:02 AM   #224
besiktas
"TRF" Member

if that watch is actually going for 2,5 million, then the original 5711/1P (not the anniversary version) with 20 pieces worldwide must worth like 5m in my opinion. Silly either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
Well it didn't take long for this... flippers going to flip... and this time flip BIG... Jomashop just listed one for $2,500,000... Yep, two and a half MILLION dollars... Now I have no clue if they actually have the watch or just trying to manipulate the market price, but this is pure madness...

https://www.jomashop.com/patek-phili...11-1a-018.html
Old 10 December 2021, 09:11 AM   #225
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Comes with free shipping!
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 09:40 AM   #226
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
paying a stainless steel watch with a regular mechanism 10 times what it is worth is not appreciating, most of those watches end up with people who doesn't know anything about them but posting them online to show off... As a result, real collectors and enthusiasts can not get those.

In what world, a 5711A is more expensive than 5131G? If you said that 6-7 years ago people would laugh at you :)

Agreed, some of the steel premium is just silly. That said, I probably wear my sportier pieces 10x (5711, 5726, 5168, 5164) more than I wear some of my dress pieces (6119, 5196, etc). The sportier pieces fit my young family lifestyle better, so they get more wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 10:45 AM   #227
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post
Comes with free shipping!
I dunno, sounds like a scam
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 11:03 AM   #228
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Lol I saw it today

Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 11:46 AM   #229
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Lol I saw it today [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com

Great luck. Looks even better in your pic!
Old 10 December 2021, 08:58 PM   #230
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Great luck. Looks even better in your pic!
Sorry all, but that dial colour looks ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 09:09 PM   #231
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I’m starting to doubt my strategy of talking a newbie PP SA into making this my first Patek…

What! Don't be a quitter, double down on your efforts. I have a strong feeling about this, you might be successful.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 10:37 PM   #232
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Just for fun, I reached out to my contact at Tiffany about this.

Basically, Patek will let you know if you are good enough to be offered one.

FWIW, I did get an invite once to a Blue Book event in NY.

There will be people spending 8 figure for one piece of jewellery still won’t be able to get one.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 11:37 PM   #233
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Wow.
Old 11 December 2021, 12:01 AM   #234
shinshin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyim View Post

There will be people spending 8 figure for one piece of jewellery still won’t be able to get one.
i heard $1b jewelry bundle......
shinshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2021, 01:03 AM   #235
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyim View Post

Haha. TS said in the interview it is up to Tiffany to decide and Tiffany tell you Patek will let people know... Talk about blame game ...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2021, 01:05 AM   #236
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

What a joke.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2021, 03:56 AM   #237
PPOnlyT-Stamps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
if that watch is actually going for 2,5 million, then the original 5711/1P (not the anniversary version) with 20 pieces worldwide must worth like 5m in my opinion. Silly either way.
You mean something like this?? There are actually less than a HANDFUL(one hand) of these stamped. May be more produced worldwide but the number that was sold through Tiffany and actually got the T-stamp is definitely not that much…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DF47710B-3A45-434F-9B4A-D89A6C7F830D.jpeg (83.4 KB, 353 views)
PPOnlyT-Stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2021, 09:53 AM   #238
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Haha. TS said in the interview it is up to Tiffany to decide and Tiffany tell you Patek will let people know... Talk about blame game ...
Maybe it could be just my contact trying to preemptively get me off his back. Not that I am going to push for it anyways. Just asking for fun.

I spend enough to get goodies and invites to special events and offer to fly to NY. But I know I am not the top 1% spend. Definitely not top 170.

Needless to say, whoever can get this watch is definitely someone with serious history with either company.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2021, 10:27 AM   #239
Climaxoxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Lol I saw it today

Swaggy!
Climaxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2021, 11:02 AM   #240
besiktas
"TRF" Member

No I mean the original platinum 5711P without the Tiffany stamp. I didn't even know 5711P has a Tiffany stamped version. or is this a steel model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPOnlyT-Stamps View Post
You mean something like this?? There are actually less than a HANDFUL(one hand) of these stamped. May be more produced worldwide but the number that was sold through Tiffany and actually got the T-stamp is definitely not that much…