The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 January 2016, 09:41 PM   #31
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I have two GS and really enjoy them in my collection, one is a high beat, the other being a quartz. I recall that you have seen some in the flesh so will know about the fit, finish and quality.

I think their only drawback is re sale value, many people baulk at paying high prices for a watch that they perceive as "high street," many of these can see no further than the name and have probably not seen one in real life, one can usually tell by their comments. Me, on the other hand like the fact that they are a little rarer and fly below the radar somewhat, it is nice when someone who knows about watches notices one's watch and comments.

My quartz is 37mm but wears slightly larger due to the very small bezel, I do think that you have chosen perfectly, I certainly believe that your new watch is about the best value GS there is.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2016, 11:36 PM   #32
Speed
"TRF" Member

Great photos guys!

Thanks.

Yes. The model I posted does seem a good value for Grand Seiko.

I would prefer a hi beat...but apart from trying to find a vintage piece on strap...not much to choose from < 40 mm.

Ok...ill go think about it some more ;-)
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2016, 12:22 AM   #33
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post

Yes. The model I posted does seem a good value for Grand Seiko.

It is also absolutely stunning.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2016, 03:06 PM   #34
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
A Spring Drive movement is pretty much fully mechanical, bar the escapement and regulator components.
As for Seiko being the pioneers of quartz – not exactly true.
They pioneered mass production and use of synthetic quartz, but the first proponents of quartz technology were the Swiss, with Girard Perregaux being the one to set the frequency standard by which all quartz watches have adhered to since.
It was Seiko who mass produced and drove the price down of quartz watches, which then set off the quartz revolution.
Not to discount the Swiss in any way, but Seiko was also early to the quartz party (started development in 1959), and in fact according to this they released the Seiko Quartz 35 Astron in 1969, prior to the Swiss entries into retail (though the Swiss had their prototypes done much sooner)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watc...onic_movements
Quote:
In 1959 Seiko placed an order with Epson (a daughter company of Seiko and the 'brain' behind the quartz revolution) to start developing a quartz wristwatch. The project was codenamed 59A. By the 1964 Tokyo Summer Olympics, Seiko had a working prototype of a portable quartz watch which was used as the time measurements throughout the event.

The first prototypes of an electronic quartz wristwatch (not just portable quartz watches as the Seiko timekeeping devices at the Tokyo Olympics in 1964) were made by the CEH research laboratory in Neuchâtel, Switzerland. From 1965 through 1967 pioneering development work was done on a miniaturized 8192 Hz quartz oscillator, a thermo-compensation module and an inhouse-made, dedicated integrated circuit (unlike the hybrid circuits used in the later Seiko Astron wristwatch). As a result, the BETA 1 prototype set new timekeeping performance records at the International Chronometric Competition held at the Observatory of Neuchâtel in 1967.[24] In 1970, 18 manufacturers exhibited production versions of the beta 21 wristwatch, including the Omega Electroquartz as well as Patek Philippe, Rolex Oysterquartz and Piaget

Quartz Movement of the Seiko Astron, 1969 (Deutsches Uhrenmuseum, Inv. 2010-006)
The first quartz watch to enter production was the Seiko 35 SQ Astron, which hit the shelves on 25 December 1969, swiftly followed by the Swiss Beta 21, and then a year later the prototype of one of the world's most accurate wristwatches to date: the Omega Marine Chronometer. Thanks to the technology having been developed by the Swiss, Seiko could not patent the whole movement of the quartz wristwatch, thus allowing other manufacturers to participate in the rapid growth and development of the quartz watch market, This ended — in less than a decade — almost 100 years of dominance by the mechanical wristwatch legacy. Modern quartz movements are produced in very large quantities, and even the cheapest wristwatches typically have quartz movements. Whereas mechanical movements can typically be off by several seconds a day, an inexpensive quartz movement in a child's wristwatch may still be accurate to within half a second per day — ten times more accurate than a mechanical movement.[25]
Also note that this all came about four decades after the first quartz clock was made at Bell Labs, in 1929.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2016, 09:16 AM   #35
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:

No one has been able to confirm that for me.
First, great choice

The only way to really confirm it short of just importing that exact model it is to go to the published U.S. Customs HTS (Harmonized Tariff Schedule). Unfortunately, like most Gov pubs it's not the easiest thing to decipher, but you'll find the rates for for watches in Section 9101 (Chapter 91, "Clocks and Watches and parts thereof").

The rates and/or fees vary slightly by type of movement, no. of jewels, case material, band/bracelet material. If you decide to get it, you'll have to know the info for the breakdown on their form and give a value for each category (movement, case, strap/bracelet) because varying rates on each part may apply.

You'll see from the published table in 9101 that 3.1% is a good, generic starting point for an automatic-wind, mechanical watch. Without knowing all the particulars for the model you want, If I were guessing as to what total duties and fees would be on a $3000 watch of that type I'd say around $120 at most (4%), most likely less.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2016, 02:33 PM   #36
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
First, great choice

The rates and/or fees vary slightly by type of movement, no. of jewels, case material, band/bracelet material. If you decide to get it, you'll have to know the info for the breakdown on their form and give a value for each category (movement, case, strap/bracelet) because varying rates on each part may apply.
Thanks. OK. Here's a dumb question. I've purchased relatively cheap SEIKOs, Cocktail Time ~$400 etc. The watch just came to me via Japan Mail...end of story.

Am I going to have to pick *this* watch up at the post office - and pay before I get my package?? Where does the fee get assessed?

I recall buying a pair of Churchs wingtips online - from the UK. Ended up getting a bill from DHL some time later. Is this how buying a more expensive watch from Japan would work?
Old 10 January 2016, 03:34 PM   #37
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Thanks. OK. Here's a dumb question. I've purchased relatively cheap SEIKOs, Cocktail Time ~$400 etc. The watch just came to me via Japan Mail...end of story.

Am I going to have to pick *this* watch up at the post office - and pay before I get my package?? Where does the fee get assessed?

I recall buying a pair of Churchs wingtips online - from the UK. Ended up getting a bill from DHL some time later. Is this how buying a more expensive watch from Japan would work?
Not a dumb question at all because it varies. If it gets shipped through international mail services you'll pay the duties/fees at the post office or to the mail carrier. If sent through a courier service it'll work like your DHL billing. You really need to know/arrange how it will be shipped in order to determine how you'll pay.

It's been awhile since I've had one sent into the U.S. so double check the above. I've normally just worn and declared any I obtained abroad upon entering the U.S via commercial or private aircraft and paid duties/fees that way.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 12:06 PM   #38
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

If you need a GS, I have a strong relationship with an authorised GS dealer that is here in US.

I got this one in December.

Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2016, 05:57 PM   #39
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Do it.

I took delivery of my friends sbga029 as he lives abroad and wanted me to sell it for him.

I ended up buying it and selling my SD4000 without a regret. Still spot on the second since I got it a couple months ago.

Not to knock the SD4000 which is great, but I'm a one diver kinda guy and the perceived value of the GS smoked it.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 03:57 AM   #40
Speed
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on SS Grand Seiko SBGW031

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLRdude View Post
If you need a GS, I have a strong relationship with an authorised GS dealer that is here in US.

I got this one in December.

That's a sweet Hi Beat!! Looked at that one. While I like my Millie at 40mm, I didn't want another similar shaped / sized watch on bracelet.

Love the buttery smooth seconds hand and finishing on that piece. Otherworldly.

I think I know the AD you have in mind, but please pm me.

Thanks!
Old 16 January 2016, 09:32 AM   #41
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

I'd love me GS Gmt but am always uncertain about service in the US. I hear different stories re (1) serviced at an authorized service center or (2) sent to Japan. Last year I sent a 15-year-old Seiko diver to be serviced by Seiko in Tokyo (via friends stationed there). Pretty happy with the job they did on my watch and the $80 bill for full service.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 11:00 AM   #42
PJ S
Banned

Your SBGM or SBGE should be serviceable in the US, but polishing to Zaratsu level would require it being forwarded on to Japan.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 10:23 AM   #43
Fiddich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
For the benefit of anyone looking at getting a Grand Seiko, here’s a breakdown of the model codes.

SBGA – Spring Drive
SBGC – SD Chronograph

SBGR – Automatic
SBGM/SBGE – Automatic GMT

SBGH – Hi Beat Automatic
SBGJ – Hi Beat GMT

SBGX/SBGV/SBGT – Quartz

SBGW – Manual hand wound

No low beat sub-dial seconds – Seiko don’t accept it as suitable for the long-standing philosophy that Grand Seiko was founded on…displaying time in the clearest manner possible.
For this reason, sadly, we’re unlikely to ever see moonphase or annual/perpetual calendar complications within the GS range, and as Credor is still very much a JDM line, with lower production numbers than Grand Seiko, it’s highly unlikely to come from there either.
What do you mean bg JDM? And credor does have a model with a moon phase no?
Fiddich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 10:45 AM   #44
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
I like that GS a lot

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 03:19 PM   #45
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddich View Post
What do you mean bg JDM? And credor does have a model with a moon phase no?
Japanese Domestic Market.
Yes, but long since out of production – GCLL992/993/995/997/999 – and limited numbers produced whilst in production.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 10:48 PM   #46
Fiddich
Banned

No matter how hard you try you can never go wrong with gs.
Fiddich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 12:14 PM   #47
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Love the Snowflake dial.
Are the new Grand Seikos out? The ones that say Grand Seiko at the top.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 10:28 PM   #48
waspy1
Banned

I realise this is an old thread but since I own the predecessor to the SBGW031, I thought I'd post. The earlier model is the SBGW001 which has the main differences being no display back and the Grand Seiko text on the dial is in relief on the older watch compared to being printed on the latter. I'd choose the older piece over the SBGW031 because of the slightly more interesting dial but it's a close call. In the end it's about finding one - they are pretty rare to come up.

Alternatively there's the SBGW035 or its older sibling the SBGW005. This has the same change to the dial between generations but the dial is a more creamy colour compared to the SBGW001. Also the second hand is blued which gives a dash of colour. The other difference is that these models come on the very nice GS bracelet whereas the SBGW001 and SBGW031 come on black crocodile leather.

I really love both - they are the most simple and pure expression of a watch with an immense level of care and attention to finishing and legibility.

My SBGW005 gets by far the most wrist time of the two but they are both beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2017, 03:37 PM   #49
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Love the Snowflake dial.
Are the new Grand Seikos out? The ones that say Grand Seiko at the top.

Yes the 2017 reissue of Grand Seiko is out in the market. It also has a line at 6 o clock stating Diashock 24 jewels in script form.

To me, one of my favorite reissue of Grand Seiko to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 08:16 AM   #50
Coop13
Banned

Watch: SBGW231, SRP777
Quote:
Hi All

I've been looking at this Grand Seiko - it does not appear to be available in the US - a fair bit.

It is not a Hi Beat, which I was originally thinking of but I like the simple design AND 36mm size is attractive to me. I miss having the old Date Just size around.

It's manual wind with a pretty (albeit basic) movement as well.

The modern Hi Beats at 40mm feel a little large / clunky...and are much more expensive.

These go for about $3k...though I'm not sure if I will take a hit with import duty if I buy online.

Any thoughts - primarily from owners - or others who considered this model and bought it...or a different Grand Seiko on strap??

Thanks and Happy New Year

Photos borrowed.

Did you get one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Coop13 is offline   Reply With Quote