The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 4 September 2019, 07:20 AM   #1
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
New SRP777J1 Turtle Pics — need help, what language is the months? Japanese or Arabic

I just got my Turtle SRP777J1 today and was shocked to see the months in non English. As I’m looking at this it does not look like Japanese but instead looks like Arabic??? If it is Japanese I will keep it for the novelty of it being a J1 model, but not Arabic. Can someone look at the pics and tell me if this is Japanese or Arabic for the month?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 September 2019, 07:27 AM   #2
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Not Japanese
Old 4 September 2019, 07:39 AM   #3
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Arabic- it says Monday
Old 4 September 2019, 07:56 AM   #4
jag32
Banned

What a bunch of crap. I’m sending it back.
Old 4 September 2019, 08:04 AM   #5
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Arabic. You can also select English on this watch by turning the day wheel. If you want Japanese/English days you need the Japan Domestic Market model, which is the SBDY015.

Last edited by Old Expat Beast; 4 September 2019 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 4 September 2019, 08:58 AM   #6
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Why does it bother you if you can't understand it anyway
Old 4 September 2019, 12:15 PM   #7
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

See this is what I mentioned in a previous thread on the topic... Just because it says Made in Japan does not make it watch made form a Japanese factory... From what I read, going to the Middle East it is required for the dial to say "Made in Japan" but does not necessarily mean it was actually made in Japan. Something to do with import rules. Again from what I have dug up reading on the internet, so take that for what it's worth.

You could have saved on the USA version and had the Day (not month) in English. If I recall, Spanish is also the other language option (which makes sense).
Old 4 September 2019, 01:09 PM   #8
Pongster
"TRF" Member

JDM is Made in Japan but for domestic market. So English/Kanji.

J1 is Made in Japan but language is international. Can be English/Arabic, English/Spanish, English/French, English/Chinese, English/Roman. Depends which market.

K1 is Made in a country other than Japan. So also for international market. Same variations as J1.
Old 4 September 2019, 01:26 PM   #9
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I’d keep it. It’s cool.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 4 September 2019, 02:19 PM   #10
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I’d keep it. It’s cool.

I would learn the days of the week in arabic. Think its cool.
Old 4 September 2019, 07:22 PM   #11
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
My 007 has an Arabic date wheel

I have a Sinn with German.
Old 4 September 2019, 07:52 PM   #12
jag32
Banned

I just received this from the merchant on Amazon...

Thank you for your message. We would like to clarify that Seiko watches come with two languages, English being the primary language. Seiko watches that end with K1/K2 or J1/J2 are manufactured in Asia and the day/date would be either of these - English-Chinese or English-Japanese or English-Arabic. You can easily switch between the two languages. Kindly refer to the user manual under "Time/Calendar Setting" to set the day of the week in the desired language. You may also view the YouTube video tiled "Seiko Turtle SRP777 Automatic Dive Watch Review + History of the Seiko Turtle" to help you set the day of the week -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaDowzDQ-iA

If you are unhappy with the purchase, you are welcome to return the watch to us for a full refund.
Old 4 September 2019, 08:16 PM   #13
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Yep, so just flip yours over to English or return it and get the SBDY015 if you want the English & Japanese combo. Don't blame the seller though.
Old 6 September 2019, 04:32 PM   #14
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I like it. Mine came with Roman numerals/English, yours is way more interesting.
Old 6 September 2019, 09:22 PM   #15
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
JDM is Made in Japan but for domestic market. So English/Kanji.

J1 is Made in Japan but language is international. Can be English/Arabic, English/Spanish, English/French, English/Chinese, English/Roman. Depends which market.

K1 is Made in a country other than Japan. So also for international market. Same variations as J1.
J1 are NOT made in Japan, according to Seiko. They should know.
Quote:
I just received this from the merchant on Amazon...

Thank you for your message. We would like to clarify that Seiko watches come with two languages, English being the primary language. Seiko watches that end with K1/K2 or J1/J2 are manufactured in Asia and the day/date would be either of these - English-Chinese or English-Japanese or English-Arabic. You can easily switch between the two languages. Kindly refer to the user manual under "Time/Calendar Setting" to set the day of the week in the desired language. You may also view the YouTube video tiled "Seiko Turtle SRP777 Automatic Dive Watch Review + History of the Seiko Turtle" to help you set the day of the week -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaDowzDQ-iA

If you are unhappy with the purchase, you are welcome to return the watch to us for a full refund.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Old 6 September 2019, 09:59 PM   #16
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I don't understand the difference, Arabic or Japanese, adjust it to the English setting. It's a fabulous watch.

DAVE

Old 6 September 2019, 10:18 PM   #17
Jeffwb65
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SKX009
Quote:
If the secondary language causes a knee-jerk negative reaction, you have a lot bigger problem than the quality of the watch.
The watch's quality is not affected by a bit of print on the date wheel. Your reaction makes no sense, unless you just don't know how to change the day/date. It's a good watch, regardless of secondary language. I love my SRP775.
Read the manual, or return it if there's some personal bias that you don't want to admit to.
Old 7 September 2019, 06:39 PM   #18
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
J1 are NOT made in Japan, according to Seiko. They should know.

dP

Old 7 September 2019, 10:28 PM   #19
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post

You take the word of a dealer over the manufacturer? Good luck with that.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Old 8 September 2019, 11:25 PM   #20
nycwatch23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffwb65 View Post
If the secondary language causes a knee-jerk negative reaction, you have a lot bigger problem than the quality of the watch.
The watch's quality is not affected by a bit of print on the date wheel. Your reaction makes no sense, unless you just don't know how to change the day/date. It's a good watch, regardless of secondary language. I love my SRP775.
Read the manual, or return it if there's some personal bias that you don't want to admit to.
Agree with this. I believe that OP may have a personal bias that she doesn’t want to admit to.
Old 8 September 2019, 11:34 PM   #21
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycwatch23 View Post
Agree with this. I believe that OP may have a personal bias that she doesn’t want to admit to.
Perhaps, but let’s not go down this road.
Old 9 September 2019, 12:38 AM   #22
Jeffwb65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Perhaps, but let’s not go down this road.
Why not? The OP is the one who seemed to show some issue with the secondary language, which has absolutely zero bearing on the quality or functionality of the watch.
I'm honestly curious why they would call it "a bunch of crap" when all they have to do is set it so that the English day is showing. Makes no sense other than some unspoken bias.
Old 9 September 2019, 01:51 AM   #23
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffwb65 View Post
Why not?
6.CONTROVERSIAL TOPICS OR POSTS such as those relating to politics,drugs, race, culture, religion, sexual orientation, objectification or discrimination, violence (toward persons or animals) will be subject to the final and absolute discretion of the Moderators to be immediately locked and/or removed without notice to any member. No gun, knife, weapon threads or pictures of such since we are a worldwide forum and many members are not comfortable with this type of material. Infraction points and a possible lifelong ban will inevitably accompany such pictures, posts, or threads.
Old 9 September 2019, 02:45 AM   #24
nycwatch23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
6.CONTROVERSIAL TOPICS OR POSTS such as those relating to politics,drugs, race, culture, religion, sexual orientation, objectification or discrimination, violence (toward persons or animals) will be subject to the final and absolute discretion of the Moderators to be immediately locked and/or removed without notice to any member. No gun, knife, weapon threads or pictures of such since we are a worldwide forum and many members are not comfortable with this type of material. Infraction points and a possible lifelong ban will inevitably accompany such pictures, posts, or threads.
Does this mean that OP should be banned? I for one am quite offended by the hidden implication of this post. This type of behavior has no place on the forum.
Old 9 September 2019, 03:04 AM   #25
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycwatch23 View Post
Does this mean that OP should be banned? I for one am quite offended by the hidden implication of this post. This type of behavior has no place on the forum.
That’s for a mod to determine. Personally, I think the responses in trying to draw out the “hidden implication” are just as provocative. I was just trying to steer away from it altogether, and get back to the watch talk. That being said, I think the Arabic is a cool addition to the watch.
Old 9 September 2019, 09:18 PM   #26
Jeffwb65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're kind of proving my point. And since the OP doesn't seem to be willing to weigh in on these questions, it leads to further curiosity about what their issue is with the day wheel. Calling a well made watch "a bunch of crap" simply because of some printing that can easily be clicked out of sight is illogical. Thus leading to speculation about what is the real issue.
Closed Thread