The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 8 September 2019, 02:59 AM   #1
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

New Seiko Presage with Spring Drive Movt

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...l-spring-drive

What do you guys think? Marrying the SD movement with a watch model line noted for fine enamel dials.
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2019, 09:54 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like them and I think they may already be out in some AD's. The price point is in the never, never land for Seiko. Too much for most and not enough for some others who want the watches to be exclusive. I will give them a look when my AD gets them but I doubt I would buy one. The dials are amazing though.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 12:24 AM   #3
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I actually really like them. The dials are great. I’m excited to see it in person though for final judgment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 12:43 AM   #4
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

While I do like them, again need to question seiko’s brand strategy. The price point of expensive Presage pieces is too close to grand seiko, and i think the whole presage line as-is, is detracting from grand seiko’s attempt at grabbing more US market share. And now a movement they has more or less been reserved for grand seiko , is in “regular” seiko... too confusing. I don’t see presage selling well in the masses in the US - “is it just a fancy seiko? But I can get one at Macy’s for $300”. I suspect this is what a lot of non WIS will say. I have similar concerns about the prospex LX line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 12:54 AM   #5
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
While I do like them, again need to question seiko’s brand strategy. The price point of expensive Presage pieces is too close to grand seiko, and i think the whole presage line as-is, is detracting from grand seiko’s attempt at grabbing more US market share. And now a movement they has more or less been reserved for grand seiko , is in “regular” seiko... too confusing. I don’t see presage selling well in the masses in the US - “is it just a fancy seiko? But I can get one at Macy’s for $300”. I suspect this is what a lot of non WIS will say. I have similar concerns about the prospex LX line.

Yes I agree it's confusing. While Seiko's earlier declared strategy is to clearly
distinguish the two brands between Seiko and Grand Seiko, doing so means creating more over-lapping. Already we are seeing Zaratsu polishing and GS's movement like spring drive start to appear in Seiko products. Doing so end up hurting both, being to priced out Seiko watches while diluting the Grand Seiko appeal. The special characteristics of Grand Seiko such as Zaratsu polishing and the higher end movments should remain Grand Seiko.
Old 9 September 2019, 01:14 AM   #6
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post

I am not an ardent follower of the Seiko brand, only have a couple of Spring Drives (SD) as I am techno addict. But I kinda have the same question. I do like the combination of porcelain or enamel dial with SD. Instead of bringing the SD to the Presage, what not keep the SD in the GS + Credor line and bring the porcelain dial instead to either line (which I would find elegant: ... or has this been done before). Recall that the first line of SD movt were in the Seiko line not GS. After that line, they never (until now) introduced the SD in Seiko line.

http://fr.worldtempus.com/article/se...drive-451.html
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 02:26 AM   #7
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I don’t get wrapped up in “brand strategy”.... I’m here to enjoy the watch. ;-)

As for this one, while I like the idea of an enamel dial with Spring Drive, the overall package is a bit confusing for me: I think of Spring Drive as being a modern movement, but this model’s dial font and hands are rather traditional, so this mismatch doesn’t work for me.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 02:34 AM   #8
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I don’t get wrapped up in “brand strategy”.... I’m here to enjoy the watch. ;-)

As for this one, while I like the idea of an enamel dial with Spring Drive, the overall package is a bit confusing for me: I think of Spring Drive as being a modern movement, but this model’s dial font and hands are rather traditional, so this mismatch doesn’t work for me.
I agree on both points.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 03:08 AM   #9
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

I think of Spring Drive as being a modern movement, but this model’s dial font and hands are rather traditional, so this mismatch doesn’t work for me.
I never thought about that and now that it has been pointed out, I tend to agree.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2019, 03:24 AM   #10
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicasi2002 View Post
I am not an ardent follower of the Seiko brand, only have a couple of Spring Drives (SD) as I am techno addict. But I kinda have the same question. I do like the combination of porcelain or enamel dial with SD. Instead of bringing the SD to the Presage, what not keep the SD in the GS + Credor line and bring the porcelain dial instead to either line (which I would find elegant: ... or has this been done before). Recall that the first line of SD movt were in the Seiko line not GS. After that line, they never (until now) introduced the SD in Seiko line.

http://fr.worldtempus.com/article/se...drive-451.html
The first automatic Spring Drive movement, the 5R65, has been used a numerous Seiko models.
The original International models SNR001-003, Ananta, Prospex Marinemaster, Spacewalk, Landmaster, and Galante.
All Grand Seikos use 9R series, which are exactly the same, only more decorated on the bridges and rotor.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote