The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 28 March 2024, 12:16 PM   #1
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

40mm Luminor Thoughts? Experience?

Hi Everyone -

I have a 44mm PAM915 that I adore and wear a lot. However, there are some settings, where it just isn't the right thing. I was looking at a PAM1371 - the white dialed luminor quaranta - and it seems to fit nicely yet still had Panerai punch. I thought it would be a fun addition to my watch box and a nice second Panerai. Anyone have any experience, regrets, endorsements of the 40mm Luminors?
WatchThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 01:29 PM   #2
MickCollins1916
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
I’m definitely your man here. I’m wearing my 915 as we speak and own the white Quaranta.

I have thoughts after owning both for over two years.

I picked up the 1371 because I figured it would be a nice “office PAM,” if you will - and it is. Slides under a cuff for a less dressy day at the office perfectly, the brown calf and black alligator straps it comes with both work beautifully, and it goes with myriad other straps of varying materials.

So, I like the 1371 just fine and it definitely suits its purpose. A few years on, however, I find myself rocking my 915, 1321, 42mm 973 and 1223 far more frequently.

I like the 1371 for what it is, but it sits in a weird niche in my watchbox. If I’m gonna rock a casual watch at the office, may as well be a Sea-Dweller (my favorites) or my 915, right?

I am a fan of my Quaranta, but if putting my PAMs in order of favorite to least favorite, it comes in 5th of 5.

No disrespect to the 1371, I’m glad I own it, but if I were making tougher cuts, others would stay before it did.

If you can find it at the right value, 100m wr, PAM DNA, but no hacking function, it’s an enjoyable, comfortable watch.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 08:49 PM   #3
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post
I’m definitely your man here. I’m wearing my 915 as we speak and own the white Quaranta.

I have thoughts after owning both for over two years.

I picked up the 1371 because I figured it would be a nice “office PAM,” if you will - and it is. Slides under a cuff for a less dressy day at the office perfectly, the brown calf and black alligator straps it comes with both work beautifully, and it goes with myriad other straps of varying materials.

So, I like the 1371 just fine and it definitely suits its purpose. A few years on, however, I find myself rocking my 915, 1321, 42mm 973 and 1223 far more frequently.

I like the 1371 for what it is, but it sits in a weird niche in my watchbox. If I’m gonna rock a casual watch at the office, may as well be a Sea-Dweller (my favorites) or my 915, right?

I am a fan of my Quaranta, but if putting my PAMs in order of favorite to least favorite, it comes in 5th of 5.

No disrespect to the 1371, I’m glad I own it, but if I were making tougher cuts, others would stay before it did.

If you can find it at the right value, 100m wr, PAM DNA, but no hacking function, it’s an enjoyable, comfortable watch.
MICK! This is incredibly helpful. I should have long ago made my log in name Watch OVER Thinker - I'm so back and forth on this on that your "watch box" thinking is really, really useful.

I have had the 1371 on wrist and, like you said, it fits like a dream. I'm thinking of this watch as a more versatile competitor to my Omega 300M white dial - suit wear, travel, etc. . But, if the 1371's reduced size means it doesn't give me that little Panerai "zing" over time - I might as well buy a 38mm aqua terra, if all I want is an all arounder.

I am giving some real thought to the Radiomir White 1384 as well. It's a big presence and those wire lugs are comfy - but the strap changing effort is a trial for me.

My plan is to make a move after I see what's up with Watches & Wonders.
Old 29 March 2024, 01:42 AM   #4
MickCollins1916
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThinker View Post
MICK! This is incredibly helpful. I should have long ago made my log in name Watch OVER Thinker - I'm so back and forth on this on that your "watch box" thinking is really, really useful.

I have had the 1371 on wrist and, like you said, it fits like a dream. I'm thinking of this watch as a more versatile competitor to my Omega 300M white dial - suit wear, travel, etc. . But, if the 1371's reduced size means it doesn't give me that little Panerai "zing" over time - I might as well buy a 38mm aqua terra, if all I want is an all arounder.

I am giving some real thought to the Radiomir White 1384 as well. It's a big presence and those wire lugs are comfy - but the strap changing effort is a trial for me.

My plan is to make a move after I see what's up with Watches & Wonders.

My pleasure! And I love my 915 in a similar manner to you, based on your posts with it over the last few years on the various fora. Huge fan.

That’s why I think it’s wise to ask the very questions you’re asking. I don’t rock my 915 with a suit, but I have actually worn the 1371 on the black alligator strap with one. Still a casual watch for sure, but it worked fine for me with a less-dressy suit/button-down shirt/tie/longwings.

It’s def very comfy and gives that PAM vibe without the overpowering presence of the larger models. I think it’s more versatile than the SMP diver (which I also own in black/Sedna on rubber) for slightly dressier occasions as you suggested.

Between my 1371 and my 42mm sub bianco, I far prefer the latter. Both are very legible watches, which is an increasingly important factor.

Given that I rarely wear jackets much less suits/ties these days, I’m sort of questioning why I factor in workwear at all. But come to think of it, I also have a bunch of divers/casual watches that fulfill the same basic niche or role, which also makes little sense. Problem is, I like ALL the watches at the end of the day.
Old 29 March 2024, 03:00 PM   #5
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

if you’re looking for a 40mm white dialed luminor I’d poke around for a used pam49.

my first mechanical watch purchase and I recently reacquired one after regrettably selling it years ago.

great watch and probably half the price of a 1371.
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 02:28 AM   #6
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
if you’re looking for a 40mm white dialed luminor I’d poke around for a used pam49.
Yep, 049 is great, punches above its weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2024, 07:03 AM   #7
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Thread inspired me to throw it on.

Old 31 March 2024, 01:19 AM   #8
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Wow!! That is a good idea. I'll take a look. I'm guessing these PAM49s have a lot of "staying power" with you? They're classic.
Old 31 March 2024, 02:52 AM   #9
Hadiy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soho View Post
Yep, 049 is great, punches above its weight.

It looks nice
Hadiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 07:24 AM   #10
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wow!! That is a good idea. I'll take a look. I'm guessing these PAM49s have a lot of "staying power" with you? They're classic.

Absolutely. Had mine for five years now and it’s not going anywhere

Old 3 April 2024, 10:57 AM   #11
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

I have the 048 and it is seriously becoming one of my favorites of my collection.

The 40mm sizing along with the curved down lugs makes for such a perfect fit even on my tiny wrist!!

I traded 1 for 1 a Tudor BBPro and I have 0 regrets. I wore my Sub Date on recent vacation and found myself missing this one!

Lesnerelli23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 03:49 AM   #12
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My pleasure! And I love my 915 in a similar manner to you, based on your posts with it over the last few years on the various fora. Huge fan.

That’s why I think it’s wise to ask the very questions you’re asking. I don’t rock my 915 with a suit, but I have actually worn the 1371 on the black alligator strap with one. Still a casual watch for sure, but it worked fine for me with a less-dressy suit/button-down shirt/tie/longwings.

It’s def very comfy and gives that PAM vibe without the overpowering presence of the larger models. I think it’s more versatile than the SMP diver (which I also own in black/Sedna on rubber) for slightly dressier occasions as you suggested.

Between my 1371 and my 42mm sub bianco, I far prefer the latter. Both are very legible watches, which is an increasingly important factor.

Given that I rarely wear jackets much less suits/ties these days, I’m sort of questioning why I factor in workwear at all. But come to think of it, I also have a bunch of divers/casual watches that fulfill the same basic niche or role, which also makes little sense. Problem is, I like ALL the watches at the end of the day.
So, Mick, I was reminded of and thinking about your post today, as I'm heading out to a family/social dinner that will contain some folk I haven't met before and, I think, a new person is a Watch-Sort or knows I like the hobby. It is unclear. I am looking at my watch box with some dismay. It isn't the right setting for a dress watch and anything approaching a "flex" would be terrible. I am wishing I had the 1271 in hand, it'd be perfect tonight.
Old 7 April 2024, 04:07 AM   #13
MickCollins1916
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So, Mick, I was reminded of and thinking about your post today, as I'm heading out to a family/social dinner that will contain some folk I haven't met before and, I think, a new person is a Watch-Sort or knows I like the hobby. It is unclear. I am looking at my watch box with some dismay. It isn't the right setting for a dress watch and anything approaching a "flex" would be terrible. I am wishing I had the 1271 in hand, it'd be perfect tonight.

Ah, I totally get it - but the 915 on the OEM calf strap would hopefully be subtle enough. It’s a large watch but not obtrusive or loud in any way, IMO. I am sure it would be up for the task, but totally get your point. The 1271 on the brown calf is comfortable and subtle (for a Panerai).

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the event regardless!
Old 7 April 2024, 12:32 PM   #14
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah, I totally get it - but the 915 on the OEM calf strap would hopefully be subtle enough. It’s a large watch but not obtrusive or loud in any way, IMO. I am sure it would be up for the task, but totally get your point. The 1271 on the brown calf is comfortable and subtle (for a Panerai).

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the event regardless!
I've got a few 7th creation straps that do slim the 915 down nicely.