The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 5 February 2020, 05:34 AM   #1
GTAKnights
"TRF" Member

watch in hand!

Given the recent scandal... it got me thinking.....

I have purchased 5 watches online from individuals (I'm new) and enjoy buying pre-owned for many reasons including getting to know the seller, the watch history and especially the hunt for the perfect example.

I hadn't considered asking a trusted member of our online communities (only people I would buy from) for proof of 'watch in hand' such as you see on Chrono where they show a specific time set on the watch or in the old days a pic with a news paper in the shot. I simply trusted.... I will now ask for proof. This eliminates the re-sellers or importers who cannot ship the exact watch immediately. I only feel comfortable buying direct from the person in possession of the watch, as we know you buy the seller not the watch.

Is this a common concern or an isolated incident?
GTAKnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 09:27 AM   #2
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I think it’s important to a lot of buyers to know that they’re buying a watch that the seller has immediate access to and not one that they still have to source, or are reselling for someone else.
Though some watches are so uncommon that it may be worth having a well known and connected grey market seller looking for one for you. They might want a deposit and that might be fine. It would depend on the situation. They might do the searching without a deposit, but you’d have to be a trusted buyer. They don’t want to get burned finding some supposed grail watch only to have you offering 500 excuses why you can’t complete the transaction.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 12:09 AM   #3
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAKnights View Post
Given the recent scandal... it got me thinking.....

I have purchased 5 watches online from individuals (I'm new) and enjoy buying pre-owned for many reasons including getting to know the seller, the watch history and especially the hunt for the perfect example.

I hadn't considered asking a trusted member of our online communities (only people I would buy from) for proof of 'watch in hand' such as you see on Chrono where they show a specific time set on the watch or in the old days a pic with a news paper in the shot. I simply trusted.... I will now ask for proof. This eliminates the re-sellers or importers who cannot ship the exact watch immediately. I only feel comfortable buying direct from the person in possession of the watch, as we know you buy the seller not the watch.

Is this a common concern or an isolated incident?
not even sure what you are asking here... is being scammed with a fake watch an isolated incident when you buy pre owned watch??
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 12:17 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I know where you’re coming from OP. I think it’s quite common with some sellers on large platforms like chrono24 etc. Lots of stock photos being used and has a feel that they are “floating out” high price without having the watch. “Make the sale”, then source the watch if you will ....

I’d only buy from one of the trusted sellers here if I were going gray. In their Advertisements they often put “photos of the actual watch” or something to that effect.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 02:44 AM   #5
GTAKnights
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtecko View Post
not even sure what you are asking here... is being scammed with a fake watch an isolated incident when you buy pre owned watch??
I was referring to individuals who are selling watches they don't have but can supply ie being middle men. I can't imagine the audacity accepting a large sum of money and then trying to find the item especially if its rare or wait listed. On top of that, not disclosing that you aren't in possession of the item or that you have represented the item with stock images. By starting with that premise bad things are bound to happen... Even the guy at the flea market in town that sells fake watches seems more honest! lol At least you both know they are fake! lol

I think I have my answer that it is more common then I would like to think it is and luckily I haven't been taken advantage of as I learn by researching the don'ts of watch buying especially online.
Old 6 February 2020, 06:11 AM   #6
GTAKnights
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I know where you’re coming from OP. I think it’s quite common with some sellers on large platforms like chrono24 etc. Lots of stock photos being used and has a feel that they are “floating out” high price without having the watch. “Make the sale”, then source the watch if you will ....

I’d only buy from one of the trusted sellers here if I were going gray. In their Advertisements they often put “photos of the actual watch” or something to that effect.
I guess that is the answer in that it is more common then I thought but seems totally dishonest especially if you don't disclose that you are a re-seller without the watch in hand and provide stock images not actual.

The entire situation of collect money for something you can't immediately ship or guarantee is never going to end well.

I hope to have learned a personal lesson from all of this