The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 5 March 2011, 09:05 AM   #1
psv
"TRF" Member

Rolex Service Center in San Francisco => never again!

[rant on]

Sorry, I have to vent this in a separate thread. I read a bit about people liking Giovanni's (sp?) work at the RSC in San Francisco, so I thought I'd give it a try on an A-series SD 16600 that needed a simple routine service.

I called the shop and describe what I wanted and asked for an estimate which they wouldn't give me. I overnighted the watch and they promised to give me a call within 48 hrs. I heard nothing, went on a business trip, still nothing. I called them, now over 10 days later, and they quote me $740 for routine service including bracelet/case polishing - which I specifically said in writing that I didn't want. I had also asked for a new crystal, but turns out that they forgot to include that in the pricing, which they said was $210 but they would be kind and give it to me for $180. I told them to hold off to make some calls.

Turns out other RSC charges about 20-25% less and when I asked RSC-SF about it they tell me they have "additional costs"?! Seriously!?

I strongly suspect they wouldn't give me an estimate (even ballpark) over the phone because they know I wouldn't sent it in. I fully understand that you need to inspect the true condition of the watch and movement before giving any final pricing, but still, this is like a bait and switch.

I don't care if their job is good at this point, I'm thoroughly disgusted with their lack of service, unresponsiveness and over-the-top pricing.

Of course, I have to pay for the shipping back - and of course they won't overnight it but rather use USPS Registered Mail so that will be about 10 business days. Wasted over 4 weeks and $100.

I'll never use/recommend them again.

[rant off]
Old 5 March 2011, 09:38 AM   #2
TRW
Banned

Watch: 16623 YM
Sorry to Hear Patrick,I hope all works out.When the Time comes,Ours will be going to Dallas.
Old 5 March 2011, 09:48 AM   #3
bellvederecar
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
OUCH! sad to hear that.
Old 5 March 2011, 09:55 AM   #4
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

I hope everything works out for you.
Old 5 March 2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellvederecar View Post
OUCH! sad to hear that.

Me too! I used the SFO RSC 2004 & 2005, when Ludwig Bernecker owned it, they serviced & renovated 2 Rolexes for me....did a great job.
I did buy a strap from them, last year, there's a new owner Giovanni Passalacqua, spoke w/ him, his wife, an associate, they were very helpful.......I was going to take
my datejust in for a service soon since I am in the area.......I may have to call the new owner
& get an idea of price quote????? Not what I wanted to read/hear.
Old 5 March 2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Makes me glad I just used Bob Ridley. He quoted me $550 for a routine service, and that included a new crystal.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 5 March 2011, 12:17 PM   #7
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
I bet there are very few watchmakers at RSC that have completed the Swiss American Watchmaker’s Training Alliance (SAWTA) training. I find this interesting as Rolex is the one that spearheaded the effort of developing this curriculum. Rolex invests $1M/ year in the program. It takes two years and 3,000 hours before you can take the certification exam.

http://www.jckonline.com/article/292...Curriculum.php

Formal education is a good place for people to start in their vocation.

My watchmaker works for a Rolex AD, has five years of experience and is one of the few watchmakers that has Swiss American Watchmaker’s Training Alliance (SAWTA) certification as well as the more common American Watchmaker Institute certification.

I have lunch with the man every other week and have learned more about the watchmaking art over Thai food then anywhere else.

So my points are formal education is important, and second I always encourage people to find a local watchmaker if they can. This way you can tell them exactly what you want and don’t want them to do. They can tell you exactly what is going on with your watch. My last point is buy your watchmaker lunch.

The price for an overhaul $500 for most Rolex date sport models. It is done right, the first time.

Old 5 March 2011, 01:13 PM   #8
indeuce
"TRF" Member

That is such a shame! I don't live far from SF and was thinking they would be my go-to place for future possible Rolex repair and service work. But after reading this and seeing the meh Yelp reviews, this is very disheartening. I may just have to deal with sending it to Dallas then. sigh.
Old 5 March 2011, 01:33 PM   #9
Mike-66
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II & 79090
I almost went there this week to get some work done on my Explorer II until I read the Yelp reviews as well. I ended up finding an AD in Sacramento (Grebitus & Sons) with a watchmaker on site and used them today with great success. I was extremely pleased with their professionalism and wasn't even charged!

Not trying to give a shameless plug here, just blown away by the customer service.
Old 5 March 2011, 02:04 PM   #10
rolexsweep
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD40
sad to hear this... considering the amount of money we all pay for these certain watches and a single rsc has to ruin it for you
Old 5 March 2011, 02:14 PM   #11
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Sorry to hear about your bad experience Patrick. If its sanctioned by Rolex it might be worth lodging a complaint directly to Rolex and see what happens.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 5 March 2011, 02:38 PM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by indeuce View Post
That is such a shame! I don't live far from SF and was thinking they would be my go-to place for future possible Rolex repair and service work. But after reading this and seeing the meh Yelp reviews, this is very disheartening. I may just have to deal with sending it to Dallas then. sigh.
I've looked over the so-called Yelp reviews and they are overwhelmingly outstanding..

That, and this is the very first negative review of the San Fran RSC that I can recall hearing.....

I'm not convinced that suddenly this shop should be boycotted without hearing both sides of the story......... Especially when you live in the neighborhood and can just stop by..
Old 5 March 2011, 02:59 PM   #13
indeuce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I've looked over the so-called Yelp reviews and they are overwhelmingly outstanding..

That, and this is the very first negative review of the San Fran RSC that I can recall hearing.....

I'm not convinced that suddenly this shop should be boycotted without hearing both sides of the story......... Especially when you live in the neighborhood and can just stop by..
This is true. Most of them are good reviews but the most recent two seemed not so good plus this one experience given here in this thread -- it worries me. Maybe the next time I'm in Union Square, I'll stop in and say hello. My 116000 is barely a month old, so I have some time :)
Old 5 March 2011, 03:17 PM   #14
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
[rant on]

Sorry, I have to vent this in a separate thread. I read a bit about people liking Giovanni's (sp?) work at the RSC in San Francisco, so I thought I'd give it a try on an A-series SD 16600 that needed a simple routine service.

I called the shop and describe what I wanted and asked for an estimate which they wouldn't give me. I overnighted the watch and they promised to give me a call within 48 hrs. I heard nothing, went on a business trip, still nothing. I called them, now over 10 days later, and they quote me $740 for routine service including bracelet/case polishing - which I specifically said in writing that I didn't want. I had also asked for a new crystal, but turns out that they forgot to include that in the pricing, which they said was $210 but they would be kind and give it to me for $180. I told them to hold off to make some calls.

Turns out other RSC charges about 20-25% less and when I asked RSC-SF about it they tell me they have "additional costs"?! Seriously!?

I strongly suspect they wouldn't give me an estimate (even ballpark) over the phone because they know I wouldn't sent it in. I fully understand that you need to inspect the true condition of the watch and movement before giving any final pricing, but still, this is like a bait and switch.

I don't care if their job is good at this point, I'm thoroughly disgusted with their lack of service, unresponsiveness and over-the-top pricing.

Of course, I have to pay for the shipping back - and of course they won't overnight it but rather use USPS Registered Mail so that will be about 10 business days. Wasted over 4 weeks and $100.

I'll never use/recommend them again.

[rant off]
That blows. I called him about some work my 16660 needs. He was nice and sounded knowledgeable.

If I'm going to do RSC work though, I'd rather it really be Rolex. A buddy of mine hand-delivered his watch to the one in NYC and had a smooth experience.
Old 5 March 2011, 04:42 PM   #15
Speed
"TRF" Member

This is really surprising. I have not yet had a service at the San Francisco RSC...but I just picked up my Sub after getting the bracelet adjusted to perfection.

I've always found this place -and especially the owner to be quite fast and responsive...

I have always found
Old 6 March 2011, 10:50 PM   #16
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

I'm not saying they should be boycotted, I'm just sharing my experience, which wasn't a positive one. I kindly gave them multiple chances to adjust their pricing, humble voiced my complaint that they promised to call me but didn't. Not even did I get a sorry or excuse us.

Also, Yelp is infamous for being bogus. Tell your aunt and uncle to do the reviews, or there might also might be a few local non-WIS owners that are happy with getting back a shiny watch, and don't care what they paid for it...

Again, don't boycott, but be warned.
Old 7 March 2011, 02:32 AM   #17
snowbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
If I'm going to do RSC work though, I'd rather it really be Rolex.
I agree. I don't have any experiece with the SF location, but to me the main attraction of it is for people in the SF area who can take their watch in instead of shipping it to Dallas or NY. Otherwise, personally I would go with the Rolex owned centers in Dallas or NY.
Old 7 March 2011, 02:38 AM   #18
HL65

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
I agree. I don't have any experiece with the SF location, but to me the main attraction of it is for people in the SF area who can take their watch in instead of shipping it to Dallas or NY. Otherwise, personally I would go with the Rolex owned centers in Dallas or NY.
Actually to me--The main attraction is they will work on vintage Rolexes. For me--Bob Ridley is the man though for my vintage watches--nobody I trust more than him. The only RSC that worked on a vintage watch for me was Bexley on me 5513 Milsub. Rolex owned centers are perfect for modern watches and would be my choice for newer pieces.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 7 March 2011, 02:40 AM   #19
snowbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
Actually to me--The main attraction is they will work on vintage Rolexes. For me--Bob Ridley is the man though for my vintage watches--nobody I trust more than him. The only RSC that worked on a vintage watch for me was Bexley on me 5513 Milsub. Rolex owned centers are perfect for modern watches and would be my choice for newer pieces.
Yes, good point about vintage watches.
Old 7 March 2011, 04:07 AM   #20
Tools

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I'm not saying they should be boycotted, I'm just sharing my experience, which wasn't a positive one. I kindly gave them multiple chances to adjust their pricing, humble voiced my complaint that they promised to call me but didn't. Not even did I get a sorry or excuse us.

Also, Yelp is infamous for being bogus. Tell your aunt and uncle to do the reviews, or there might also might be a few local non-WIS owners that are happy with getting back a shiny watch, and don't care what they paid for it...

Again, don't boycott, but be warned.

Exactly............
Old 18 March 2011, 04:10 AM   #21
bighaole
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II + Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
SteelerFan1965, is there any particular reason you'd go with Rolex over Bob Ridley for service on a newer watch? I'm considering both options for service on an 11 year old Explorer II, and I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Old 18 March 2011, 04:15 AM   #22
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Sorry to hear this, incredible!

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Old 18 March 2011, 04:25 AM   #23
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I can tell you my Daytona went for overhaul to Dallas, it was outstanding! Completed it in half the estimated time (granted, it was 4 instead of 8 weeks) but the watch runs better then new, looks new, I can really reccomend Dallas.
Old 18 March 2011, 04:32 AM   #24
ffighter556
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Dallas is my choice. They are fixing my watch for free it is out of warranty by 5 months and its not even my name on the card. I figured I was wasting my time but they agreed to fix it no questions ask. Full service for free minus a polish it is still in new condition.
Old 18 March 2011, 06:13 AM   #25
SoftwareDrone
"TRF" Member

Watch: <-- likes to
I dropped off my Sub there yesterday (just found this thread today) that is in need of major work. We'll see if they come in on time and on budget...
Old 18 March 2011, 07:44 AM   #26
esspee1200
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftwareDrone View Post
I dropped off my Sub there yesterday (just found this thread today) that is in need of major work. We'll see if they come in on time and on budget...
curious on the prices they gave you...sent you a PM.
Old 18 March 2011, 12:16 PM   #27
Traveler

Icon3

[QUOTE=psv;2356173][rant on]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

If you have to ask..you really cant afford it...but as a Rolex owner surely you understand that already..so why are you trying to be so cheap on your maintence anyway ?
Old 18 March 2011, 12:47 PM   #28
dnagwhogas
"TRF" Member

Watch: N :Learn
I don't know about you guys, but I always look around before buying anything. I always want to get the best price, whether I'm buying a computer, air fare, a Rolex, a car or even a house. I'm not going to spend a thousand dollars for something I could get for 500 dollars. Does that classify as cheap? Well I am also cheap then.

P-Club Member # 7

Time is what prevents everything from happening at once.

Last edited by dnagwhogas; 18 March 2011 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 18 March 2011, 01:01 PM   #29
Wincap

Watch: Rolex Daytona SS
I am posting this again because my situation was completely different than yours. I had some work done by them and the experience was perfect. Maybe they are a little more expensive than other shops, but their experience and knowledge is amazing. I have decided they will do all of my servicing going forward. Giovanni and the crew is top notch in my mind!!!!!!
Old 19 March 2011, 10:57 PM   #30
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

If you have to ask..you really cant afford it...but as a Rolex owner surely you understand that already..so why are you trying to be so cheap on your maintence anyway ?
What kind of moronic statement is that?
Closed Thread