The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 November 2019, 12:27 AM   #1
jpwv
Banned

Buying Used...better to be serviced or not?

I recently came across a 1 owner, original box and papers, very good condition Big Pilot 5002, but a comment from the owner, who was trying to make a positive comment on his watch, has me wondering if it is actually positive or if in fact it could be negative.

The comment was that watch has never been opened or serviced.

I understand what the owner is trying to convey, but a watch that was purchased in 2004 probably should have been serviced over the 15 years of ownership.

Playing devil's advocate, I could say that I should plan to add another $500 or so to my purchase price to have it immediately serviced. Additionally, with all the crown issues I have read about, I could potentially be paying for more than a basic service.

Any thoughts on a watch not having been serviced as positive or negative?
jpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 02:42 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Market price never accounts for service cost one way or the other.

If you want a watch, and the price is reasonable for it's apparent condition, it's a good buy. A COA service is up to you and is regular maintenance regardless of when (now or 5 years from now) you decide to have it done.
Old 14 November 2019, 03:35 AM   #3
jpwv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

If you want a watch, and the price is reasonable for it's apparent condition, it's a good buy.
I think this is the heart of the question. Does not being service over 15 years raise any red flags and lower its apparent condition.
jpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 04:29 AM   #4
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
At that age, I'd definitely assume you'll service it withing the first 1-2 years. So yes, I'd take that into account with any offer you make and include the reasoning when you make the offer.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 04:38 AM   #5
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
Earlier this year I purchased an 9 year old Rolex Submariner 'Bluesy' from the original owner incl all paperwork, etc. It had just been serviced(by Rolex) the month prior and the receipt(proof) attached.

Myself, I liked the service idea for the fact that I know there would be 'no surprises', not to mention a 2 year warranty from Rolex !
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 10:12 PM   #6
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

It wouldn’t impact my decision either way, and as others have said I don’t think the watch being serviced or not impacts price much if at all (even when we are talking about $2k or more regular service costs).

Thinking, as you do, I may need at allow $500 or so for service is the right idea. You may also think you might need $300 or so for a new strap.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 05:51 PM   #7
997GT3
"TRF" Member

I was in a tough spot when I was looking to buy my first generation AP Safari. They were already almost 10 years old and I would only buy a serviced model. Nonetheless, I ended up finding one from a dealer here on this forum with a general 10 year service done early ($3,000) from AP with 2 year warranty (new gaskets, oil, seals, rubberclad pushers, etc. no polish). I paid a premium but the peace of mind is priceless. I was the first to open the watch coming back from AP. I know a bunch of people with JLC based AP's that have had multiple chrono issues due to neglect or non-service. Hope my two cents is worth something!
IWC Ingenieur IW3233-03 RG
Romain Jerome Spacecraft
997GT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 07:45 PM   #8
ts3
"TRF" Member

As a buyer I like to give any piece a fresh start at my house via a service at the manufacturer and will factor the cost into my buying decision.

As a seller I wouldn't service a watch specifically for the sale as you typically don't recoup the cost unless, of course, a piece was badly banged up and a hard sale w/o refinishing, adjustment etc.

The flip side is that I am always a little suspicious that a piece had been neglected and/or badly banged up if a seller saw the necessity to get it serviced on his account just prior to a sale.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote