The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 November 2019, 01:34 PM   #1
Jetguy87
"TRF" Member

Quality of Patek refinishing?

About a year ago I posted this topic about my 3796R, which I bought because I wanted a rose gold piece, but later realized that it looks yellow in most lighting conditions. I've included a range of pictures that show how it can look yellow in some lighting, but more rose in others.

For background, I bought the piece in early 2018 and had it serviced, but not polished, by Patek. After discovering the yellow/rose issue, I decided to live with it as-is, but have kept coming back to the fact that the appearance still kind of bothers me. I wear the piece 1-2 times a month, and love it, but keep thinking that if the finish was a little more rose, it would be perfect.

Recently, I reached out to Patek customer service to ask if anything could be done to bring out the rose finish. After consulting with the head watchmaker, the rep informed me that the yellowish appearance is due to oxidization over time, which dulls the rose and brings out the yellow appearance. She confirmed that the only way to restore the rose appearance would be through a refinish/polishing.

Obviously, I am loathe to do it. Beyond taking away case material and potentially changing the shape, I'm also concerned that the finish well end up being yellowish again -- the watchmaker stated that, because oxidization occurs naturally, it would eventually dull to yellow again. And I'm not thrilled about the prospect of repeat polishing. Everyone who I have asked in person has warned me not to do it, for the obvious reasons.

So I figured I would ask around here -- has anyone had experience with Patek refinishing, particularly in restoring the rose gold finish of a watch after oxidization to a yellowish color? Can you see any significant difference in case color, shape, edges, etc.? Would you recommend doing so in my case (pun unintended)?

Any and all thoughts and experiences welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 - more yellow.JPG (181.6 KB, 480 views)
File Type: jpg 4 - mix.JPG (120.4 KB, 481 views)
File Type: jpg 5 - different hands and crown.JPG (141.9 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg 6 - closest to rose.JPG (171.7 KB, 470 views)
Jetguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 03:11 PM   #2
mafoofan
"TRF" Member

I think you’ve sort of answered your own question. :)

Henri Stern in NYC is excellent at refinishing, but on a gold watch there is no way to prevent a slight softening of the edges during polishing. It may be hard to detect but make no mistake that an expert with a loupe would be able to tell. The original shape of the watch would be forever lost.

Anyway, the oxidizing will just come back!

I’d save any refinishing for when the watch absolutely requires it (a big ding or gouge). Psychologically, you just have to convince yourself that the watch is exactly it should be.
mafoofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 03:34 PM   #3
martinr
"TRF" Member

That seems like such an easy watch to polish. Unless the person doing it is incompetent I can’t see why it would be a problem. And your pictures have different lighting in each shot so it’s really impossible to say what the actual color is.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 04:37 PM   #4
B01fan
"TRF" Member

Very nice piece that still looks pretty sharp -- I think you would regret polishing it.
B01fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 08:09 PM   #5
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
i think ,maybe an US cleaning and a buff with a polishing cloth brings back the colour too .
it may wort a try .also note that PP RG is a bit on the yellowish side IMHO at least my timepiece looks so

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 08:12 PM   #6
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
i think ,maybe an US cleaning and a buff with a polishing cloth brings back the colour too .
it may wort a try .also note that PP RG is a bit on the yellowish side IMHO at least my timepiece looks so

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 15 November 2019, 04:17 AM   #7
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would leave it alone as they may need to go deep to restore the original rose hue. It may turn towards yellow again but that will take many years and should not be a concern. All the alloys are different. Some rose gold no matter how old stays rose and others turn.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2019, 04:19 AM   #8
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
I had a PP rose piece and I thought it was yellow gold many times. And it was no that old either.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 05:07 AM   #9
Jetguy87
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for your responses! Happy, of course, to hear more views from anyone who can speak to Patek's refinishing.

Quote:
it may wort a try .
Just out of curiosity, what's the basis for this view -- have you had any experience with ultrasonic and a buff being able to bring back a finish that has been oxidized?
Jetguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 10:41 AM   #10
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy87 View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses! Happy, of course, to hear more views from anyone who can speak to Patek's refinishing.

Just out of curiosity, what's the basis for this view -- have you had any experience with ultrasonic and a buff being able to bring back a finish that has been oxidized?

On SS for sure i think a safe assumption it works on gold too ,at least worth a try

---------------------

IG @passionata1