The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 19 November 2019, 03:35 AM   #1
ken johnson972
"TRF" Member

Stolen Rolex - Crown and Caliber

I am new to the forums so am hoping to get some help here. I am looking to buy a new model used rolex submariner and found one here locally in Atlanta from a company called Crown and Caliber. before I plunked down several thousand dollars I wanted to do some research online to see if they were legitimate. Turns out they may NOT be... at least according to the law. Apparently, per Georgia state law, anyone who buys second hand goods from the public must have a second hand dealers license issued by the state police. Looks like Crown and Caliber is NOT licensed and has not been reporting their rolex purchases through the police stolen database, even though they have been in business 6 years. kind of surprising they have gotten away with it all this time.

Google "crown and caliber stolen rolex" and the TV news article video is right there if you care to watch the reporter tell the story. I am new here so it wont allow me to place a direct link. sorry. but it looks like this customer is not happy and has hired an attorney. there also seems to be a police investigation now according to their CEO Hamilton Powell, since the watch was stolen. His attorney stated Crown and Caliber is NOT licensed.

Anyway, I came here and found another source that seems to have great reviews: DavidSW. so I plan to buy one from him. He seems to be very legitimate. But any advice her on him would be appreciated. thnx
ken johnson972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 04:49 AM   #2
JD305
"TRF" Member

Watch: Long E 1675
Does Rolex maintain a "stolen database"?

With my Panerai, I have contacted PAM Concierge and they have verified several watches for me before I purchased from the seller ... at least if it was reported to them.
JD305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 05:51 AM   #3
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
David SW is highly recommended on TRF.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 06:19 AM   #4
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
DavidSW is legit and a huge name in the watch market. Can't go wrong using him.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 10:38 AM   #5
jharris888
"TRF" Member

I’m kind of confused as to the purpose of this post... are you attempting to slam Crown and Caliber? If you read the full story, they did everything they could to make it right for the customer in that specific instance. Yeah, it should have never happened, but they’re also a very legitimate company.

And yes, DavidSW is great, but there are plenty of fantastic dealers on this forum. You just happened to randomly stumble upon him?

Odd post.
jharris888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 12:51 PM   #6
ken johnson972
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the help. I just bought one from DavidSW. Cant wait to get it.
I don't know how "legitimate" someone could say they are when they just sold a stolen watch. comes down to trust.
ken johnson972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 01:52 PM   #7
jharris888
"TRF" Member

They actually didn’t even recognize it as stolen because there was no police report ever filed. It would have never flagged in the system. I guess you didn’t read the full article before posting.
jharris888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 05:04 PM   #8
drcab
"TRF" Member

Just posted with Rolex details of the robbery of my 2006 Yatchmaster platinum with Roles and the Watch Registry

Watch stolen Nov 6, 2019 Vancouver BC at CIBC
drcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 12:58 AM   #9
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD305 View Post
Does Rolex maintain a "stolen database"?

With my Panerai, I have contacted PAM Concierge and they have verified several watches for me before I purchased from the seller ... at least if it was reported to them.
Yes but they wont release it.
They check against it internally, if a stolen reported watch recieved, its held till police decide ownership
A
Old 20 November 2019, 03:51 AM   #10
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Just as an example, if my stolen Platona was offered to a dealer, or even an AD, that unwitting dealer might buy my stolen Platona.

That’s because Rolex will only check their theft list once it is in the RSC.

So even a great dealer is unable to affirm legitimate ownership when buying a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 03:54 AM   #11
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Pawn Shops (ALL) are legally bound to send each evening details and photos of all purchases and loaned on items.
Customers selling an item must additionally sign a book that a copy goes to police every week
Old 20 November 2019, 06:32 AM   #12
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Just as an example, if my stolen Platona was offered to a dealer, or even an AD, that unwitting dealer might buy my stolen Platona.

That’s because Rolex will only check their theft list once it is in the RSC.

So even a great dealer is unable to affirm legitimate ownership when buying a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This reminds me of a true story. The former Rolex AD here (the only one for 50 miles) had a customer call and report that their Rolex GMT had been stolen. The next week the thief brought in the GMT to try and sell it to the AD. Recognizing the watch, the AD said he had to take it in the back to authenticate that it was a "real" Rolex and not a fake. Of course he went into the back and called the police and the thief was arrested in the store.

"Nothing is to too beautiful, nothing is too expensive" Ettore Bugatti.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote