The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 December 2012, 10:55 AM   #1
dplynch
"TRF" Member

Tudor Hydronaut Review

Review of my Tudor Prince Date Hydronaut

Case: Excellent

The mix of brushed and polished surfaces on this 41mm case is very pleasing to the eye. At 11mm thick, it will easily fit under a shirt cuff. The unique Hydronaut case design makes it look like the crown and bezel sink into the case. The triplock crown with the visible first gasket and the holes case are a reminder of Tudor’s Rolex heritage while being more that a Rolex homage. Unlike Rolex, Tudor uses 316L steel in the case construction.

The oyster case back again reminds us that this is a baby Rolex.

Dial: Excellent

This dial is simple, symmetrical and not busy. The semi-skeletonized hands are easy to read and well lumed. Both the minute and second hand reach all the way to the second markers on the dial. Markers are applied adding depth to the dial and are in proportion with the rest of the dial. The red “Tiger” adds a splash of color to the otherwise black and silver dial. The white background on the date works esthetically with the silver dial in a way it does not with a black dial.

Tudor used a flat sapphire crystal with no anti-reflective coating and a date magnifier.

Bezel: Excellent

The feel of a bezel’s movement is one clear indicator of quality in a dive watch. The Hydronaut’s uni-directional bezel moves with smooth, clearly audible clicks. The edge of the bezel has classy alternating polished and brushed cuts that are easy to grip. The lumed zero triangle aligns perfectly with the 12 o’clock marker. At first, it is difficult to tell that the bezel has an aluminum insert and is not cut from a single piece of steel. Good job Tudor.

Bracelet: Good

The Hydronaut bracelet tapers from 20mm at the lugs to 16mm at the clasp. This is out of fashion but does add to the comfort of the bracelet. The end links are solid as all of the bracelet sections with the exception of two ,which had hollow center links. I removed the two sections when sizing the watch. I’m not sure why Tudor did this. I don’t like to see shortcuts of this kind in a watch at this price point.

Clasp: Poor

What can I say? This is a disaster. It has all been said before. This is an unacceptable clasp for a $2000 watch. I will say it is comfortable and easy to adjust with micro adjustment holes. Regardless, this is an issue that should have been addressed 20 years ago.

Movement: Fair

The engine inside the case is the very common ETA 2824-2. It is a reliable and easy to maintain movement. Over the last two days it has been running at a very acceptable +3 sec. Tudor claims to modify the movement. However, I suspect that modify means little more than engrave “Tudor” on the rotor.

Value: Fair

I purchased this watch for $1500 from someone I know well. The original owner purchased the watch for just under $2000 in 2001. The watch was last serviced 4 years ago. I estimate the current value of a Tudor Hydronaut, in good condition, to be from $1200 to $2000. It has minor scratches and wear which you should see in the photos. All of these blemishes should polish out. The watch will also need a service. I expect to invest another $400 to get it into top condition. This will bring my total to around $1900.

Conclusion:

The Tudor Prince Date Hydronaut. Is a solid diver that can be easily acquired on the secondary market for under $2000. It is hard to talk about the Hydronaut without referring to its big brother, the Rolex Submariner. The Trip-lock crown, oyster case, holes case, date magnifier, and even the date font , all reference the most iconic of dive watches. Admittedly, that is part of the appeal. Nevertheless, the Hydronaut is not a Submariner with an ETA movement. The case design, bezel, dial, and bracelet take tudor in a different and appealing direction.

I do have a few minor complaints. The cheap stamped clasp does bother me. I also wish they would have simply written Hydronaut in red on the dial and not felt the need to give marketing dollars to an ambassador. I find the whole idea of a paid ambassador somewhat insulting.

Overall, I am thrilled with my Tudor Prince Date Hydronaut and hope to wear it for years to come.

Best wishes,

David Lynch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1672.jpg (66.7 KB, 1656 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1661.jpg (74.3 KB, 1618 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1663.jpg (50.2 KB, 1603 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1673.jpg (39.5 KB, 1604 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1668.jpg (78.6 KB, 1598 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1651.jpg (57.7 KB, 1600 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1664.jpg (74.5 KB, 1595 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1665.jpg (100.1 KB, 1587 views)
dplynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2012, 11:00 PM   #2
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Nice review, first I've ever read on this piece, thanks
Old 30 December 2012, 01:34 AM   #3
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Cool review, Thanks for sharing.
Also, welcome to the forum

financeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2012, 01:37 AM   #4
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
love the way the case protects the bezel ,, great read , great pics too , many thanks.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2012, 01:54 AM   #5
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Thanks for the review.

A couple of things though:
-Each of the [very] center links is hollow, not just the ones you removed. What you describe as a "short cut" is actually Tudor adding more solid links [and SELs] to their SS bracelets than Rolex did at the time.

-The stamped clasp, while light in weight, has stood the test of time over 50 years of use and is still preferred by many today [like me]. A disaster? Add the micro adjustment feature and the 20mm to 16mm taper and you have the most comfortable bracelet made, imho.

-You rate a chronometer grade ETA 2824-4 running well within chronometer specs as "fair"? Not sure what that movement would have to do to rate excellent.

Again, thanks for taking the time to review. Hope you don't mind a critique of your critique.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2012, 03:26 AM   #6
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Hardly ever see those. Really great watch. I prefer the non-tiger models though
Old 31 December 2012, 05:06 AM   #7
dplynch000
"TRF" Member

Hello dp

Thanks for the feedback. This is my first review and it is great to see someone reading with a critical eye.

I looks again at my links and I see you are correct. Each and every center link is hollow. I prefer to see solid links throughout. However, given the ends are solid, the bracelet stretch you see with some rolexes should not occur. I feel the same about the clasp. I like the solid heavy feel of milled steel. Although I must admit this bracelet is the most comfortable of all the watches I have owned.

My "fair" rating of the movement of the movement is poorly explained in my review. There is nothing wrong with the performance of ETA 2824 -2. What bothers me is the fact that my Hydronaut is sharing a movement with $300 Steinharts, Victorinoxes etc. It is one of the things I had to get past to buy the watch and I'm glad I did as the overall feel and craftsmanship is fantastic.

Take care,

DL
dplynch000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2013, 01:15 AM   #8
adzman808
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dplynch000 View Post
Hello dp

Thanks for the feedback. This is my first review and it is great to see someone reading with a critical eye.

I looks again at my links and I see you are correct. Each and every center link is hollow. I prefer to see solid links throughout. However, given the ends are solid, the bracelet stretch you see with some rolexes should not occur. I feel the same about the clasp. I like the solid heavy feel of milled steel. Although I must admit this bracelet is the most comfortable of all the watches I have owned.

My "fair" rating of the movement of the movement is poorly explained in my review. There is nothing wrong with the performance of ETA 2824 -2. What bothers me is the fact that my Hydronaut is sharing a movement with $300 Steinharts, Victorinoxes etc. It is one of the things I had to get past to buy the watch and I'm glad I did as the overall feel and craftsmanship is fantastic.

Take care,

DL
hi,

i'm new here... but wanted to post, very nice review

I have one of these, but it's a (later??) non-tiger version

the 2824 is actually quite a bit different than the one found in a Steinhart (etc) my understanding is that there are modifications by rolex to hairspring & shock protection, also the tudor uses the higher grade and plated version of this movement

my tudor runs at +2 a day and seems unaffected by positional variance (seems to be anyway)

by contrast my brand new 114060 is +4spd and will drop about a second being crown down overnight

the hydronaut clasp is (again as I understand it) pretty comparable to subs of similar vintage, and feels flimsy, but does the job just fine & imho the bracelet is extremely comfortable

I don't seem to be able to post pix yet (too new here, not enough posts? anyone know why?) but i'll post a pic of the tudor movement when I can

I LOVE my rolex, but for cost I think tudor are amazing....

cheers
Adam
adzman808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2013, 08:36 AM   #9
adzman808
"TRF" Member

ok, excuse the bad photos, the hydronaut pic was taken on my phone while my watch maker took some lint out from under the crystal, he was understandably hesitant to have the watch out of his workshop with no back on (because of the dust risk) but I insisted on a photo..

tudor movement looks like this

the Steinhart movement will look like this

cheers
Adam
Old 1 January 2013, 08:43 AM   #10
adzman808
"TRF" Member

forgot to add

my tudor hasn't been serviced in 6-8 yrs & runs at +2spd, the std eta2824 needed regulation from brand new... don't let the 2824 designation fool you - the difference between top grade and standard is tangible...
Old 1 January 2013, 08:44 AM   #11
adzman808
"TRF" Member

and here's my tudor ;)

Old 2 January 2013, 03:04 AM   #12
dplynch000
"TRF" Member

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the photos. I have never seen the movement before. It looks like two totally different levels of finish. That certainly makes me feel better. Perhaps the movement deserves a "Good".

P.S. Love the blue dial.

Take care,
dplynch000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2013, 09:12 PM   #13
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Nice review, thanks!
Old 5 June 2013, 02:22 AM   #14
safetypro79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 5513 Sub
Icon5 Bezel insert etched?

Are the numbers in the bezel insert etched?

My best,

John
safetypro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 10:20 PM   #15
Tkacik
"TRF" Member

I have this very same Hydronaut model arriving today. This will be my first Tudor, and I am excited for the experience. Mine has the "Opaline" cream colored dial. I'll post some pictures when I take a few good ones.

Cheers!
Tkacik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 02:06 AM   #16
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Very cool review.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:09 PM   #17
sales1
Banned

Thank for sharing very nice review,
sales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 08:14 PM   #18
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
Amazing watches, massively underrated.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 07:38 PM   #19
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Just picked one up, always loved the Hydro. Pics to follow.
Old 1 February 2020, 04:59 AM   #20
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Mk1 dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200128_163518-1024x1024.jpg (249.7 KB, 353 views)
Old 5 February 2021, 09:45 AM   #21
Axi128
Banned

Love the vintage feel
Axi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 02:26 AM   #22
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Always loved that watch, sorry I never bought one.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote