The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 8 May 2021, 04:32 AM   #1
le_baron
"TRF" Member

15500 bracelet/strap change

I'm curious to know whether anyone here has changed between a bracelet and a strap on a 15500. I'd like to hear about the process and the necessary tools. It seems like I would need at least a device to hold the watch sideways, a screwdriver, and plots (not to mention a strap).
Old 8 May 2021, 04:59 AM   #2
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Best source is always directly from AP for all parts quotes.

I had bezel completely replaced on a RO, was around 700-800USD for parts and labor.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 09:08 AM   #3
le_baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Best source is always directly from AP for all parts quotes.
I agree. I'm interested in hearing about the difficulty (or lack thereof) in swapping a bracelet to a strap at home—once the parts are in hand.
Old 8 May 2021, 09:35 AM   #4
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_baron View Post
I agree. I'm interested in hearing about the difficulty (or lack thereof) in swapping a bracelet to a strap at home—once the parts are in hand.
Seconded, esp if you buy a non-Oem strap I'd imagine the boutique would refuse to change for you
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 10:51 AM   #5
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_baron View Post
I'm curious to know whether anyone here has changed between a bracelet and a strap on a 15500. I'd like to hear about the process and the necessary tools. It seems like I would need at least a device to hold the watch sideways, a screwdriver, and plots (not to mention a strap).
your location says long island, just go to the boutique in the hamptons and get it swapped. I admire the people that want to do it themselves but I have two left hands would not even attempt to do it.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 07:33 PM   #6
yoast
"TRF" Member

The 15500 has a different setup now. 4 small screws instead of 2 long ones so you do not need to counter on the other side anymore.
I just went through the entire process myself and did all of it myself:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=800629
Old 9 May 2021, 12:44 AM   #7
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

I change my bracelets / straps alone and have done so for a while on 15400, 15500, 41mm ROC and 42mm ROO.
You just need to buy a decent set of horological screwdrivers and that's it. No need for anything more. You just need to buy the plots from AP if you go from bracelet to strap (I didn't as I had a mix of RO on straps and bracelets so was re-using stuff around if that makes sense).

Only big advice is be very gentle. It is not hard to do, but it takes the blink of an eye to do a false move, slip the screwdriver and scratch the case.
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 12:47 AM   #8
AG_Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26331ST/116710BLNR
Process is very strait forward and easy to do at home. Here is AP Clearwaters email to me about tools they suggest for adding/removing links and bracelet swap.

“ Hello,
We suggested the following
Bergeon BG30081-S
As far as sizes go, we use 2.0 at the attachment screws (lugs) and 1.4 for the links.”

This email was specific to my 26331st which should be the same due to same case size etc.

I bought their recommendations as far as tools and they were perfect! I can also attest to what AperolSpritz said about takes the blink of an eye to scratch something on my first link add-in that wasnt attached to the watch yet I didnt have as tight of a grip as I should and the screw was overtightened imo and slight slip of screwdriver added a very lite scratch into my new link. Will never be noticeable except to me but still frustrating. Take your time and ensure you have proper grip before putting screwdriver to your timepiece.
AG_Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 01:57 AM   #9
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

If you can afford an AP, you can afford to let the pros handle it. =)

Not as easy as spring bar change tools, but possible if you have steady hands. Or for all we know, you are a surgeon and this should all be a piece of cake!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 02:05 AM   #10
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=macrowatch;11441245]If you can afford an AP, you can afford to let the pros handle it. =)

Yes and no

The boutique will be more than happy to do this anytime. However I personally like to change A LOT and don't see myself going to see the guys every time I swap leather/rubber/bracelet
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 04:34 AM   #11
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
If you can afford an AP, you can afford to let the pros handle it. =)

Not as easy as spring bar change tools, but possible if you have steady hands. Or for all we know, you are a surgeon and this should all be a piece of cake!
I find it away easier than the spring bar. It's just screws, no risk in the springbar popping out and nicking the case.

Also respectfully disagree, I'd rather spend an hour to figure out how to do it and 5 mins to do it every time I need to in the future rather than going back to the store.
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote