The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 May 2021, 10:37 AM   #31
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Hey, mr personality. I have an idea.

Go into a forum and insult pretty much every member of it. Oh wait, you akready that that. Good call.

You must be a riot at parties.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 10:48 AM   #32
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

IMHO PP stays true to their ethos and does what they want. Some pieces in (their or any brands) current catalogue may not appeal to everyone but to call an entire lineup terrible is a pretty uninformed assessment.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 02:35 PM   #33
Robine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Expert View Post
Patek created trend on dress watch collectibles
Wait - did PP "create" that trend, or did that emerge in the mid 1990s when all the revived watch companies (I am looking at you, Blancbreguet) one-upped each others with limited edition pieces?
Robine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 04:36 PM   #34
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

I have no dog in the fight yet but I noticed they took out all of the interesting calatravas the past several years and then replaced the 5146 with something very mediocre.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 04:55 PM   #35
bob101
"TRF" Member

Answer simple - plenty of other brands out there if PP isn’t for you. If you liked the older ones vs modern, buy vintage.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 07:22 PM   #36
Toffeeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5164A
I agree we can't make uniformed judgment on all the models and also beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

However, having said that, when I look at the list of new models issued recently. I must say there was no 'wow' factor. A couple of comments:

1. Calatravas were an iteration of modernised versions of today. Fairly decent effort

2. AC was mediocre at best and wasn't a completely new version to replace the ageing and yet popular 5146

3. Perpetual was fresh with the new way of presenting the day date. However, I thought blue was overdone

4. Latest Nautilus is just a change in colour.

So summing up, many nice to have items but (a) no new movements to showcase [DELETE]; (b) no 'must have' models (c) New trends like green may not last long as fashion changes

I can see PP is playing it conservative and stay close to DNA. But the jury is out there whether the strategy can be sustainable. Let's see

My two cents worth
Toffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 07:26 PM   #37
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffeeman View Post

So summing up, many nice to have items but (a) no new movements to showcase;
Did you miss the new movements in the 5236 perpetual and 6119 Calatrava's?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 07:43 PM   #38
Toffeeman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Did you miss the new movements in the 5236 perpetual and 6119 Calatrava's?
Sorry my bad. I miss that. I concede.
Old 17 May 2021, 07:43 PM   #39
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So summing up, many nice to have items but (a) no new movements to showcase; (b) no 'must have' models (c) New trends like green may not last long as fashion changes

I can see PP is playing it conservative and stay close to DNA. But the jury is out there whether the strategy can be sustainable. Let's see

My two cents worth
Uh... the movements in 6119G/R are of a completely novel design.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 07:48 PM   #40
Toffeeman
"TRF" Member

Agree the new 6119G movement is a significant improvement to the 215 version. However, if you compare to VC 4400 movement, its not that far off to be a differentiator
Old 17 May 2021, 09:59 PM   #41
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Interesting post OP.

I think to add my 2c, I feel in particular there are "certain" weak areas to Patek's modern line up. I wouldnt go out and say their entire line is weak. If you look at each offering they arnt bad and obviously there are some solid winners. Ofcourse it also depends on your expectations etc.

In particular I find the "complication" range fairly weak in offering and too much emphasis on the colour blue. Currently with only 1 manual wind chronograph in 5172 in blue, and a handful of annual calendar chronograph, certainly could be better.

When you go into the Grand Complications, again with the introduction of the 5236P the perpetual line up has been strenghtened but whilst I dont mean to insult anyone who owns the current line of Perpetuals, they are essentially face lifts of a perfected design.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 10:52 PM   #42
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Stick to Stella dials then
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 12:42 AM   #43
Trog
Banned

Although not a popular opinion, I find most, it not all Pateks to be unsightly. Although I'm impressed with the history, quality, complexity, fit and finish, every model I look at has some feature, that in my grossly-unqualified opinion, ruins it.

Yes I know this is likely a minority position, especially as I don't see what all the fuss is about regarding the Nautilus?

That being said, I've been hoping to join the Patek community one day. And that day may be coming soon.

I've focused my attention on a watch in the Patek line-up that seems to be universally scorned. It's been accused of being most Un-Patek like.

Which is probably why I find it attractive.

I'll likely be purchasing a 5524G. White gold as it's not too blingy. And a modest complication to keep me amused and does not clutter the dial. Plus a strap that allows me to experiment with alternatives.

Going out on a limb here...but I'm predicting this model will be a future classic.

But then again..... I've been wrong before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patek 5524G.jpg (223.9 KB, 273 views)
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 02:20 AM   #44
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
If anything, this year's Patek launch speaks volumes of what the brand is doing.

I think novelties this year were perfect.

And I'm particular biased with the 5205 series which has been out for a decent time now. By far one the nicest modern interpretations of their classic calendar watches in a long time. Blends their historic watchmaking with modern.

They only thing I'll say is (but perhaps the new manual calibre already addresses that direction), Patek could probably do better in further elevating their movement finishing. A thing that they can easily adjust to make it the likes of (or better than) Lange, etc.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 02:21 AM   #45
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
Although not a popular opinion, I find most, it not all Pateks to be unsightly. Although I'm impressed with the history, quality, complexity, fit and finish, every model I look at has some feature, that in my grossly-unqualified opinion, ruins it.

Yes I know this is likely a minority position, especially as I don't see what all the fuss is about regarding the Nautilus?

That being said, I've been hoping to join the Patek community one day. And that day may be coming soon.

I've focused my attention on a watch in the Patek line-up that seems to be universally scorned. It's been accused of being most Un-Patek like.

I'll likely be purchasing a 5524G. White gold as it's not too blingy. And a modest complication to keep me amused and does not clutter the dial. Plus a strap that allows me to experiment with alternatives.

Going out on a limb here...but I'm predicting this model will be a future classic.

Good choice. I think the 5524 is a really nice Patek.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 02:58 AM   #46
Simon.DGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek World Time
Patek is about elegance prestige, not about modern
Watch that symbolises pure modern watch is Apple Watch
But elegance, prestige is losing some flavour, just like Vacheron...Breguet loses its shine over time.
Rolex Richard Mille, Audemars Piguet are becoming more appealing to the new younger and more successful entrepreneurs and celebrities.
Simon.DGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 03:19 AM   #47
Simon.DGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek World Time
Quote:

I bought this watch, as there is waiting list on aquanaut travel time .. it’s a nice looking Patek, that very few people recognise it is Patek. I wear this watch to dangerous places that I won’t wear Steel Rolex (Rolex explorer) , no one notice it. Which is good, as I want to avoid attention.
To me , happiness is not about getting watch with huge waiting list, or getting plenty of attention while wearing the watch, or the resale value of the watch rises due to scarcity. Happiness is to be able to wear the best watch anywhere I want to go, and the watch has the functions I need. This pilot travel time, is not as complicated as world time, easy to read.
I wear my world time for formal meetings only, but the pilot travel time goes with me most of the time, I switch to Rolex GMT and explorer when I do outdoor sports.
Simon.DGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 04:42 AM   #48
Robine
Banned

Luckily there are PPs from their previous collections in abundance, for all those people who do not want to "build" a "relationship" with their, wait, "AD" "SA". Well, in one particular case I would, but in that relationship I would be the, wait for it, "Sub" and surrender to being patek-ed in my face with her delightfully manicured slim hands and hot Tunesian accent.

Back to topic - the 2000-2010 PPs in precious metal are great, most of them available below their RRP and just elegant.
Old 18 May 2021, 05:17 AM   #49
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:

I like this watch very much.

I don’t expect it to be a future classic. But definitely something I’d think about buying.

I’d already own it I’d the pushers were similar to the 5164.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 05:30 AM   #50
rolexstella
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP15202
The more I think about it - we can really define this period as TS onwards 2009-Current.

Look - I make no ad hominem attacks here. Just because I don’t love the watch that you collected doesn’t mean I think anything less of you as a person. Just don’t personally like that watch.

What I find interesting is most people feel something that is missing with the current PP, 2009+ ethos and models.

TS has it difficult to merge a classic brand into a a more casual world. However, this for me is why you have the different series. Calatrava should never try to be sporty - no blue dial , Nautilus and Acquanat are for this...
rolexstella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 05:32 AM   #51
Robine
Banned

For once and ever - "sporty" is something which happens in connection with, well, locker rooms, sweaty muscular men, sweat in general.
Old 18 May 2021, 06:11 AM   #52
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Hey, mr personality. I have an idea.

Go into a forum and insult pretty much every member of it. Oh wait, you akready that that. Good call.

You must be a riot at parties.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 07:12 AM   #53
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
IMHO PP stays true to their ethos and does what they want. Some pieces in (their or any brands) current catalogue may not appeal to everyone but to call an entire lineup terrible is a pretty uninformed assessment.
^^^This pretty much sums it up.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 05:52 PM   #54
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree we can't make uniformed judgment on all the models and also beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

I must say there was no 'wow' factor.

My two cents worth
PP’s history, reputation, rarity and quality are its USPs. If it manages to find more highly skilled watchmakers and ups it’s production and goes for trendy mechanism updates for the sake of it the gloss will soon fade.

There will be an upper price limit to its upper middle market (£50k+) Veblen Good game and that may be a precipice. Feeding short term market trends endangers the brand. They are careful to stick to PP’s genes by making slight alterations and improvements which is why some of us buy them. The 5230 and 5172 being good examples.

When ADs talk about ‘entry level pieces’ you know they are being derisory and snooty. A very bad sign.

I suggest you buy watches you like wearing and don’t treat them as investments as mostly they are not.

Last edited by Partekular; 19 May 2021 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Altering tone
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 06:26 PM   #55
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
PP’s history, reputation, rarity and quality are its USPs. If it manages to find more highly skilled watchmakers and ups it’s production and goes for trendy mechanism updates for the sake of it the gloss will soon fade.

There will be an upper price limit to its upper middle market (£50k+) Veblen Good game and that may be a precipice. Feeding short term market trends endangers the brand. They are careful to stick to PP’s genes by making slight alterations and improvements which is why some of us buy them. The 5230 and 5172 being good examples.

When ADs talk about ‘entry level pieces’ you know they are being derisory and snooty. A very bad sign.

I suggest you buy watches you like wearing and don’t treat them as investments as mostly they are not.
There is nothing derisory about 'entry level pieces' though if you REALLY like the watch. 6000 and 6006 are good examples of well made Calatrava which are priced modestly for people to get into Patek. The new 6119 looks not too bad either in WG.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 06:30 PM   #56
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The 5524G is an example of Patek being right over time. In their complication line up I would say its the 5524G, 5205, 5905 and the 5172 being the stand out candidates. But if you remember back when it was launched how many shit did it get for resembling a Zenith Pilot watch which can be bought for a fraction of the price. The only criticism i can think of the 5524G is the strap colour which they corrected with the 7234G by giving customers both option. If only Patek would offer both for the 5524G now...
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 07:35 PM   #57
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
There is nothing derisory about 'entry level pieces' though if you REALLY like the watch. 6000 and 6006 are good examples of well made Calatrava which are priced modestly for people to get into Patek. The new 6119 looks not too bad either in WG.
I totally agree, some great Calatravas! I really like the 5227G.

The 5212A has a unique and interesting mechanism but was absurdly described to me as ‘entry level’ by a snotty salesperson. I found this insulting to both me and the brand’s image.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 07:51 PM   #58
Uros
"TRF" Member

Im looking to buy my first Patek for some period of time, or at least to fix my attention to one or two models and enjoy the hunt. For obvious reason Im not looking into Nautilus and Aquanaut and still have much bigger preference for AP sport models (cant beat ceramic when it comes to scratching)...

So have tried 5320g (really tried to like it) but wasnt bought by the case and shine of the dial and 5172g I can not go pass the chrono pushers...this leaves me waiting to try 5270p and be sure if break the bank its worth it.

So to sum up maybe we are becoming bit spoiled but I think they should introduce more modern variations of chronos etc. and perpetuals only shouldn’t be in 6 figures territory...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 10:52 PM   #59
JMac6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
I totally agree, some great Calatravas! I really like the 5227G.

The 5212A has a unique and interesting mechanism but was absurdly described to me as ‘entry level’ by a snotty salesperson. I found this insulting to both me and the brand’s image.
The snottyness of some SAs is something I truly, truly will never understand.
JMac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 11:50 PM   #60
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last one I bought
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac6 View Post
The snottyness of some SAs is something I truly, truly will never understand.

I have never bought a AP because of that sort of attitude. The couple AD’s or Westime Boutiques I went to had the worst most snotty SA’s. One told me “I have trouble getting pieces for my celebrity clients. The likelihood of you getting a piece you want is very low. Your best bet is to buy something from the floor and leave $20,000 with me. I’ll let you know if we get something in I can let you have.” There were three code 1159’s out. Nothing else. Getting into PP was mainly because I found a very honest and trustworthy Patek AD who treated me as an enthusiast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuantumOceanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote