The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 4 May 2021, 10:38 PM   #1
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
Thoughts about this 5107G

I'm considering this watch as a first Patek. The seller states that it's due for a service, but the price reflects that. First thing I'd do is send it to PP for a service and some light refinishing; maybe a new strap too, as the one it comes with is a bit worn. That's a few grand altogether ,I realize (but again the price allows), and a good long while without the watch, but I'm tempted to do it because then I know I'm getting a watch that's been properly treated rather than one that's been "serviced" but perhaps not in an authorized way by PP. Any obvious red flags?

I'm new to PP, and a quick search of my posts will reveal that I've been slightly aimless in sorting out what direction to go in, but I've settled on a wg Calatrava. I have an option to pick up a brand new 5196 at rrp from an AD, which is tempting, but I prefer the (less traditional) styling of the 5107s and 5127s, plus the exhibition casebacks on those models.

Sorry for the small pics---limited in filesize here.

Thanks for any input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patek1.jpg (62.3 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg patek3.jpg (91.1 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg patek2.jpg (79.7 KB, 440 views)
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 11:01 PM   #2
ts3
"TRF" Member

Couple of thoughts...

1) Have you tried it on? In my experience it wears smaller than a 5196 (and also smaller than a 5127). I like the 5107 though - especially the black dial P - but don't own it.

2) This watch looks well worn but I don't think I see anything Patek cannot get sorted during the service if you wish so.

3) Based on your pics I think this 5107 is still Rhodium plated WG. I much prefer homogeneous grey gold as scratches on the plated WG will remove the Rhodium and yellowish old-style WG may come through. Patek replaced the plated WG with grey gold in the early/mid 2000s.

4) I'd want an example with Certificate of Origin for a fairly modern reference as this (personal preference, others don't mind if it is missing and the watch is cheaper as a result).
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 11:13 PM   #3
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Thank you for this input!

I haven't had the chance to try one on, which is giving me pause--but this isn't a local watch (to me), and I'm not sure how I'd go about finding one... But I do have a few smaller vintage watches (such as a 35mm 1977 Seamaster) and can wear them more comfortably than my massive 41mm Sub. I have a 6.75" wrist that widens into a pretty massive forearm---it's an odd arm, really (I'm 5'7" but a weightlifter)--and I think I'm learning that ~36mm is right in the zone for me. All to say, I'm not terribly worried about the size of the watch.

Still sorting out the papers issue; the seller says box is included. I'd be relying on service for authentication, I suppose, and that would also provide some paperwork that I could offer should I ever re-sell the piece. But the CoO would indeed be nice.

Interesting about the rhodium plating---it's a c. 2000 watch.
Old 4 May 2021, 11:23 PM   #4
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Another 5107G option I've been considering (but I'm still researching the seller) is more expensive but in better condition---and includes an extract (not a CoO):

https://preowned.blacktagwatches.com...a-5107g-watch/
Old 5 May 2021, 12:11 AM   #5
ts3
"TRF" Member

Looks like you will be fine on size. I have 6.6 inch wrists and like to wear as small as a 34mm Calatrava and as big as a 40mm Nautilus. Both have pretty much the same dial size too.

I don't care much for an extract and would try to get one with CoO given that the 5107 is neither a vintage nor a rare watch (except for maybe the P). Others don't care much for any papers if they can save some. There have been multiple threads on the topic including the recent one below.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=796088
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 02:39 AM   #6
Haveapair
Banned

I wouldn't be looking to save a few bucks on your first calatrava. Get the new one or one still on warranty from a very reputable dealer
Haveapair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 04:23 PM   #7
thatssosick
"TRF" Member

5127g

Where are you based? I actually have a 5127G for sale if you're interested with full factory WG bracelet and Extract from Archives. Could send more pics.
thatssosick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 08:10 PM   #8
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Appreciate it—but I’m not interested in one with a bracelet (which deserves to command more $ of course), and I’m in the US and not looking to ship internationally. I see you’re in HK.
Old 6 May 2021, 08:29 PM   #9
David001
Banned

It's pure personal taste, so choose the one you like best.

Personally if I had the choice and there was a new 5196g up for grabs at an AD then I'd rip his arm off, that won't be there for long, the 'g' seems to be a challenge to get recently.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 04:07 PM   #10
thatssosick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
Appreciate it—but I’m not interested in one with a bracelet (which deserves to command more $ of course), and I’m in the US and not looking to ship internationally. I see you’re in HK.
No worries! Hope you find one you like, its a great watch! You can't go wrong...absolute strap monster...
thatssosick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:30 PM   #11
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
I would feel safer buying a 5196 new than dealing with Patek and a service. I have heard PP service takes a long time and is expensive. But if the cost to buy plus price of service is a better deal, go for it. They don't make the 5107 any more.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote