The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 8 May 2021, 12:22 AM   #1
GS93108
"TRF" Member

An 'insight' for the newbies

Here's an article about AP's South-East Asian CEO, Stefanie Ng:

https://www.theceomagazine.com/busin...t-stefanie-ng/

A few comments within the article stand out to me as embodying AP's attitude, these comments are attested to by so many of us on here, yet are poo pooed by many others.

"...keep evolving – never stand still.”

“One important thing we have remained consistent with over the years is being focused on enhancing our clients’ experience and better responding to their evolving needs and expectations,”...

“We don’t necessarily need four walls to sell watches. We can sell a watch anywhere – on a golf course or at restaurants."

“The critical questions we constantly ask ourselves is how we can offer an unforgettable experience to a client outside the boutique.”

Human connection is part of the brand’s DNA, which reinforces our reputation for excellence and continuing to be one of the industry leaders.

“Luxury in its purest form remains a human experience with interactions and passing on know-how from one person to another.”

“A brand needs to be connected with its clients in order to remain relevant to their evolving needs and expectations.”

The bolding and underlining are mine.

This pretty much sums up why WE AP clients love AP and why AP loves us. Clearly there are many 'wannabe' AP clients that aren't being loved by AP, but that's because there's only so much love to go around and AP is focused on those that are already dear to its heart.

Those with aspirations to be part of the AP family need to understand that it starts and ends with the relationship. No matter how 'big time' you think you are I guarantee you that AP has 10x potential customers of equal financial standing to fill your shoes. The point of difference is YOU, not your wallet.

Consider it food for thought.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 12:26 AM   #2
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

That's what I've been doing wrong! I just need to order the watch take out and have them meet met at the restaurant!

Jokes aside, thanks for sharing.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 12:28 AM   #3
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
That's what I've been doing wrong! I just need to order the watch take out and have them meet met at the restaurant!

Jokes aside, thanks for sharing.

It's nice to see some comments directly from AP that set the scene.

p.s.

I'm sure we'll see an AP owned country club and restaurant chain at some point :)
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 12:47 AM   #4
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

If they do a hotel, I'm totally taking the pens and desk clocks and they can just bill me for it. Ha!
Old 8 May 2021, 12:54 AM   #5
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If they do a hotel, I'm totally taking the pens and desk clocks and they can just bill me for it. Ha!
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 02:36 AM   #6
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post

A few comments within the article stand out to me as embodying AP's attitude, these comments are attested to by so many of us on here, yet are poo pooed by many others.

“One important thing we have remained consistent with over the years is being focused on enhancing our clients’ experience and better responding to their evolving needs and expectations,”...

“We don’t necessarily need four walls to sell watches. We can sell a watch anywhere – on a golf course or at restaurants."

“The critical questions we constantly ask ourselves is how we can offer an unforgettable experience to a client outside the boutique.”

Human connection is part of the brand’s DNA, which reinforces our reputation for excellence and continuing to be one of the industry leaders.

“Luxury in its purest form remains a human experience with interactions and passing on know-how from one person to another.”

“A brand needs to be connected with its clients in order to remain relevant to their evolving needs and expectations.”

This pretty much sums up why WE AP clients love AP and why AP loves us. Clearly there are many 'wannabe' AP clients that aren't being loved by AP, but that's because there's only so much love to go around and AP is focused on those that are already dear to its heart.

Those with aspirations to be part of the AP family need to understand that it starts and ends with the relationship. No matter how 'big time' you think you are I guarantee you that AP has 10x potential customers of equal financial standing to fill your shoes. The point of difference is YOU, not your wallet.

Everything you quoted is the antithesis of what the Rolex experiences has been over the last few years.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 02:38 AM   #7
taylorhall
"TRF" Member

15202s for everybody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
taylorhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 03:12 AM   #8
kimwizzzuuu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorhall View Post
15202s for everybody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When things are readily available, majority will not want them nowadays
kimwizzzuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 04:04 AM   #9
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Great article Gary, well worth a read
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 05:32 AM   #10
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimwizzzuuu View Post
So true... unfortunately
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 05:48 AM   #11
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post

I get the relationship thing works well for AP and makes its customers feel special, but it feels a little thick for my liking. I don't want to constantly stay connected to a watch dealer or brand (and vice versa), be it my Patek AD or the local AP House. The word AP family alone strikes a weird chord with me. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to wait and will stay in touch (and I will take no for an answer), but I am not prepared to give the watch thing that much importance. Too many other things I am more interested in and I like to do. There goes ...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 06:28 AM   #12
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I get the relationship thing works well for AP and makes its customers feel special, but it feels a little thick for my liking. I don't want to constantly stay connected to a watch dealer or brand (and vice versa), be it my Patek AD or the local AP House. The word AP family alone strikes a weird chord with me. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to wait and will stay in touch (and I will take no for an answer), but I am not prepared to give the watch thing that much importance. Too many other things I am more interested in and I like to do. There goes ...
Not everyone is going to like the way AP (or any company as it happens) operates and that’s okay, we’re all different. In my very limited experience of them so far I have to say their service levels are second to none - exceptional I’d say. I personally like what they do and the way they interact with clients.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 07:03 AM   #13
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
lol I will take the AP clocks off the wall. Really would want a tourbillon wall clock in rose gold with green dial. That would be a cool piece unique.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 07:09 AM   #14
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I gotcha but I would not read too much into it. with all the hype what is an executive supposed to say. I am not even saying she doesn't mean it but let's be real it's a very cool product that I am passionate about, nothing more nothing less.

I wouldn't mind playing some golf with Ian Poulter though or checking out some novelties at an AP House while drinking a whiskey. I don't think there is more to it. In the best case some cool friendships along the way.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2021, 01:24 PM   #15
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:

So true.
Old 8 May 2021, 01:27 PM   #16
seadubs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
when things are readily available, majority will not want them nowadays
1000%
seadubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 12:15 AM   #17
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
Not everyone is going to like the way AP (or any company as it happens) operates and that’s okay, we’re all different. In my very limited experience of them so far I have to say their service levels are second to none - exceptional I’d say. I personally like what they do and the way they interact with clients.
I’m sure the AP experience is great once you get your hands on your first new AP from them

I’m hoping that’s soon for me too Stephen
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 04:37 PM   #18
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I don't think AP does anything that differently from the other brands I've bought from before. I had a pretty mixed experience with them so far. Gave the rep a detailed list of what I'm after and was pretty much just sent the exact opposite.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 06:13 PM   #19
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

I love AP but at the end of the day it's just corporate bullsh*t imho...
And that's fine.
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 11:57 PM   #20
xsnv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
And that's fine.
Couldn't have said it better. like what the hell does: "Luxury in its purest form remains a human experience with interactions and passing on know-how from one person to another" actually mean? lol.

AP is a business, they don't 'inherently' like anybody, they're paid to 'like' you (by you interestingly enough) - which as the poster said above is perfectly fine. Let's just not try to pretend it's something else.
xsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 01:46 AM   #21
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnv View Post
"Luxury in its purest form remains a human experience with interactions and passing on know-how from one person to another"
And to think someone was paid to come up with that LOL
Old 13 May 2021, 01:54 AM   #22
drhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And that's fine.
This pretty much sums it up in one sentence
drhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:45 AM   #23
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
And that's fine.
This. Can't believe some people are actually buying into such stories. It's an interview for publicity so of course she is going to bring up all these talking points. Not that they are lies, but the reality is kind of different.

I used to be quite into AP and still owns 6 AP watches in my collection. But my biggest gripe with the brand is there is no transparency nowadays. I understand AP watches are very popular and in demand but I do not like to waste time waiting with no certainty so I am moving on.

Its not a big loss to me as there are many great brands to explore, some with arguably better horological credentials if not the resale cache.
Old 14 May 2021, 01:34 AM   #24
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
This. Can't believe some people are actually buying into such stories. It's an interview for publicity so of course she is going to bring up all these talking points. Not that they are lies, but the reality is kind of different.

I used to be quite into AP and still owns 6 AP watches in my collection. But my biggest gripe with the brand is there is no transparency nowadays. I understand AP watches are very popular and in demand but I do not like to waste time waiting with no certainty so I am moving on.

Its not a big loss to me as there are many great brands to explore, some with arguably better horological credentials if not the resale cache.
Completely agree with all of this. I tried dealing with AP "corporate" and you talk about complete opaqueness and even being mislead. I had an allocation that I was told was committed (and had a deposit on) taken away from me. Of course, they returned the deposit, but that sure isn't a positive experience. The only reason I am still an AP customer is because I found an AD that has been absolutely transparent, cordial, and professional. This AD has kept my love of the brand and their products going.

So I am with you - I call BS on all the corporate fluff. I get why they do it...all companies do. I'm just wise enough at this point to recognize it and control my actions accordingly. For me personally, it starts and ends with transparency and without that, any relationship is nothing more than transactional.
Old 14 May 2021, 05:09 AM   #25
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I must say though… although this is PR garbage, I think AP boutique staffs are much better trained and cordial than any Rolex/PP SAs, especially if one does not have purchase history. The less talk about Rolex SA the better (unless you have purchase history). Patek boutique in London were quite snobbish as well compared to AP house in London.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 05:13 AM   #26
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
Everything you quoted is the antithesis of what the Rolex experiences has been over the last few years.

And AP unless you are a dress watch fan.
Old 14 May 2021, 05:33 AM   #27
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
And AP unless you are a dress watch fan.
When she talks about "enhancing our clients’ experience" she's probably not referring to the nth person each day walking in (or calling) and asking for a 15202.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 05:55 AM   #28
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
When she talks about "enhancing our clients’ experience" she's probably not referring to the nth person each day walking in (or calling) and asking for a 15202.

So the same as Rolex then.
Old 14 May 2021, 06:02 AM   #29
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Just sweet talk.

All the top selling brands, they are doing so good as the way it is, nothing is going to change.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 11:08 AM   #30
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I must say though… although this is PR garbage, I think AP boutique staffs are much better trained and cordial than any Rolex/PP SAs, especially if one does not have purchase history. The less talk about Rolex SA the better (unless you have purchase history). Patek boutique in London were quite snobbish as well compared to AP house in London.
I think the base pay at AP is better too. Hence the better touch on the "no" speech.