The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 May 2021, 09:42 AM   #1
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
PP 5524r

Hey guys,

I am in market for Patek 5524R, Calatrava Pilot Travel Time.

(1) Do I pay msrp of $53.8k at AD. I might able to get 5% off but not confirmed at this time.
(2) Or buy it from grey market, unworn/new between $43-45k.

YES I see huge price difference. But are there any benefits from buying at AD vs grey market? Specially if I want to increase my Patek collection in future especially Aquanaut, Nautilus, etc.

Buying from grey market the watch won't be registered under my name or on official PP papers. I do not know if that makes any difference. I haven't bought any watch from grey market.

Looking forward to feedback.
Cheers!!!
Old 16 May 2021, 11:36 AM   #2
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
In these crappy times one single purchase rarely does a thing towards a sports patek. But you could ask for a bundle. I think there is some pride too to have your name on the papers; of course comes with a cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 11:41 AM   #3
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
In these crappy times one single purchase rarely does a thing towards a sports patek. But you could ask for a bundle. I think there is some pride too to have your name on the papers; of course comes with a cost.

Indeed.
This will be my 2nd Patek with same AD. But you are right!!!
Old 16 May 2021, 12:01 PM   #4
martinr
"TRF" Member

You don’t wear the papers and you’ll never look at the certificate with your name on it. Patek doesn’t care if it’s registered to you or someone else if it needs warranty repair. Does the AD also charge sales tax? If the grey is reputable and the watch really is unworn you’re saving a considerable amount.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 12:12 PM   #5
lovewatches1987
"TRF" Member

If they can confirm that they give you aqua or nau then go with AD, if they gonna keep telling fairytales about how unobtainable they are then go grey and save
lovewatches1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 12:37 PM   #6
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Yep OP listen to Mr loves watches - spot on !! :-)) james in San Antonio Tx
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 01:04 PM   #7
S``
"TRF" Member

Story was removed...

Basically, until you see the watch delivered to you (NautiNaut)... Don't trust any sweet honeyed words, unless you are too big of a whale for the AD to lose...
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 01:11 PM   #8
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
You don’t wear the papers and you’ll never look at the certificate with your name on it. Patek doesn’t care if it’s registered to you or someone else if it needs warranty repair. Does the AD also charge sales tax? If the grey is reputable and the watch really is unworn you’re saving a considerable amount.
You are correct.
Most likely I'll go with Grey Dealer due to fact I can save up to $10k.
Unless AD offer me a buy at $48K or below (out the door). I see this piece average around $45k in secondary market.
Old 16 May 2021, 01:12 PM   #9
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovewatches1987 View Post
If they can confirm that they give you aqua or nau then go with AD, if they gonna keep telling fairytales about how unobtainable they are then go grey and save
lol, good one!
Old 18 May 2021, 07:01 PM   #10
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
You are correct.
Most likely I'll go with Grey Dealer due to fact I can save up to $10k.
Unless AD offer me a buy at $48K or below (out the door). I see this piece average around $45k in secondary market.

I completely understand your point of view. 10K is a lot of money to save if your intention is only to have one transaction with Patek Philippe AD.
But if you are planning multiple purchases then you might think about this transaction differently.
You might be paying an extra 8K for a brand new 5524 which you will break the seal yourself, guarantee authenticity, get your name on the certificate of origin as well as have purchase history with your AD. Because down the road, you expect him to hand you over a stainless steel piece that will appreciate 30-40k as soon as you leave the AD.
If you think the AD is not entitled to make the 8K on the 5524 then don’t blame the AD for not allocating you a piece that would appreciate 30-40k as soon as you leave the building

Old 18 May 2021, 08:59 PM   #11
mjm700
"TRF" Member

That is a fairly significant price difference and it is a buyers market on a 5524R. Lot of good pre-owned options from private sellers too. You have choices. I agree with the other comments, but I wouldn't care if my name is on the certificate so long as I have it and it is genuine etc. It's a math problem for you. You need to figure out the relative cost to get what you are looking for depending on which route you prefer.
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 09:09 PM   #12
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Save the money, go Grey from a reputable dealer and buy a complete package. The AD will not care and your chance of getting a desirable PP from them does no increase appreciably with this purchase. Good luck.

Last edited by 1William; 18 May 2021 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: spelling
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 06:04 AM   #13
azizu
"TRF" Member

I respect all opinions in this thread.
for sure everyone is entitled to save money and go grey as well as buy second hand. everyone have their priority.
but for me it is simple, if you dream about having a SS piece at retail from an AD, you need to give them some business. don't think that your first piece would be a SS. that could've been possible few years ago but i don't see it happening in this day of age.
of course the future is unknown to anyone
Old 19 May 2021, 06:08 AM   #14
El Patron
"TRF" Member

Seeing that you are from Chicago, I would take a pole and see how many of us are ahead of you, heck, I’ll like to know too

El Patron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 07:35 AM   #15
JMac6
"TRF" Member

I'd go grey. I'm in a similar situation, and that is what I am going to do. I do not foresee multiple Patek's in my future, and I have a Rolex AD that I already work with.

To me, my name on a sheet of paper is not worth the surcharge (which in my instance, will be $25k+).
JMac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 12:45 PM   #16
charlysha
"TRF" Member

many AD gives easily 10% discount on this kind of piece, its worth to have a try at several at them, I never paid full retail for any of my watches (including Patek) except for the SS one, I even got a good discount on a 5711r in 2017 (directly from the AD),

These are pieces that sit thee, show you are serious about buying and bargain more
charlysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 12:01 AM   #17
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlysha View Post
many AD gives easily 10% discount on this kind of piece, its worth to have a try at several at them, I never paid full retail for any of my watches (including Patek) except for the SS one, I even got a good discount on a 5711r in 2017 (directly from the AD),

These are pieces that sit thee, show you are serious about buying and bargain more
I am able to get 5%.
But still not enough. I do not want to pay more than $48/49K for this piece at AD. Will keep trying unless grey market wins me over :)
Old 20 May 2021, 12:02 AM   #18
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac6 View Post
I'd go grey. I'm in a similar situation, and that is what I am going to do. I do not foresee multiple Patek's in my future, and I have a Rolex AD that I already work with.

To me, my name on a sheet of paper is not worth the surcharge (which in my instance, will be $25k+).
True. There is a HUGE difference.
I do not care of name on paper. Idk how Patek corporate will treat us in future when acquring more collection.
Old 20 May 2021, 12:04 AM   #19
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

After reading my comments I am falling towards grey market (unworn piece).
Old 22 May 2021, 01:59 AM   #20
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

I end up grabbing 5524 from my AD. Fortunately I was able to grab it under $50k due to fact I have bought all my watches from him and gave me HUGE discount. Blessed!!!

To be honest I am not comfortable with grey market at all. Haven't bought any piece in pre-owned market or online. Relationship matters and it pays off in the end :)

Thanks everyone!!! Pics coming soon!!
Old 22 May 2021, 02:49 AM   #21
Trog
Banned

I've ordered a 5524G from my AD. Even though there was a minty used example not 15-minutes from me, I elected to go the AD route for my first Patek.

In my case, the savings going 'used' wasn't attractive enough to go that route. Secondly, the local seller had no box or papers....that sets off alarm bells!

In any case, my 5524G is due in next month.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2021, 09:10 AM   #22
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
I've ordered a 5524G from my AD. Even though there was a minty used example not 15-minutes from me, I elected to go the AD route for my first Patek.

In my case, the savings going 'used' wasn't attractive enough to go that route. Secondly, the local seller had no box or papers....that sets off alarm bells!

Totally agree and congrats on 5524g.
Old 22 May 2021, 04:59 PM   #23
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Totally agree and congrats on 5524g.
absolutely correct. no box no papers no buy.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2021, 10:42 PM   #24
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post

Good choice going with the AD in that scenario. I hope you like it as much as I do! Congratulations!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 04:02 AM   #25
azizu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I end up grabbing 5524 from my AD. Fortunately I was able to grab it under $50k due to fact I have bought all my watches from him and gave me HUGE discount. Blessed!!!

To be honest I am not comfortable with grey market at all. Haven't bought any piece in pre-owned market or online. Relationship matters and it pays off in the end :)

Thanks everyone!!! Pics coming soon!!

All the suspension and you ended up buying from AD
Good choice, what made you change your mind not to go grey?
PS I was in favor of you going AD but would love to know what changed your mind

Old 23 May 2021, 08:26 AM   #26
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
All the suspension and you ended up buying from AD
Good choice, what made you change your mind not to go grey?
PS I was in favor of you going AD but would love to know what changed your mind

In regard to making a move, yes! I do not wait long :)

I have a long history with my AD and always bought watches from him. He delivered me watches I could not even imagine. I told him this 5524 is selling around $45k unworn in grey. What can you do for me?

My AD did not like me looking at grey and noted do not even look at that market :) He asked how much I want to pay keeping in mind there is no discount with Rolex and Patek. Within few minutes we agreed on a very good price and DONE.

For the sake of relationship and long term prospect I can let go of few thousands. And most importantly I am getting closer to my prey: green dial 5711
Old 25 May 2021, 12:28 AM   #27
CAWatchLove
Banned

This situation is very grim relative to building up towards a sports Patek. Be prepared to spend up to a quarter million in sales first of available pieces. Then “maybe” they will get you one within a year. But your looking at 250k minimum of spending first to have a shot.
CAWatchLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 01:48 AM   #28
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on your new 5524R

Let's see that wrist shot
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 01:56 AM   #29
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Congrats ,