The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 February 2018, 05:49 AM   #1
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Icon7 Hong Kong Recommendations

Hey all,

I'll be in Hong Kong this week and next. I'm looking forward to the CNY celebrations! I plan on visiting Victoria Peak, Landau Island, Macau, and just wandering around HK itself.

For those who live there or have visited, what do you recommend? And specific restaurants/bars I should check out? This is my first time visiting and I am staying halfway between Wan Chai and Causeway Bay.

Wes
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 10:04 AM   #2
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Din Tai Fung.

J/k!

Have a safe and fun trip!
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 12:32 PM   #3
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium8 View Post
Din Tai Fung.

J/k!

Thanks! Love Din Tai Fung.

My boss recommended Tim Ho Wan in HK so I'll be checking out that place for sure.
Old 12 February 2018, 01:16 PM   #4
milov
"TRF" Member

lunch at the Peninsula
milov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 01:29 PM   #5
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
I’m sure Adam will chime in soon. I would recommend that you go over to Kowloon and take a walk around the ladies market. Take the subway (MTR) and go out on exit E2. Lots of food and electronic shops. Of course there are touristy stuff for you to buy, but I would just say, go soak in the local atmosphere and eat like a local. Some watch shops around Kwong Wah street for you to look at used timepieces. But the prices are kinda on the premium side.

Go back over to Tsim Sha Tsui via the MTR and go hang out on Knutsford terrace for food and drinks. Very friendly and easy going atmosphere where you can just kick back and take a breather. Just across the street Fromm knutsford is a building called champagne court where there are several watch shops for you to drool at. Loads of selections. And also around three shops selling nothing but watch straps.

I rarely venture over to HK island as I’m a Kowloon boy...I’ll let the island experts chime in. Have fun Wes...drop me a PM if you require further directions.

Cheers
Patrick
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 02:40 PM   #6
Star Ferry
Banned

dim sum -- I like ding dim 1968, and also Yum Cha

cantonese cuisine -- prefer Man Wah at Mandarin Oriental (reservation needed)

nightlife -- check out Lan Kwai Fong and also Lockhart Road. You can get beers at 7 eleven, no need to actually buy full price drinks. If you're open to spending a lot, then good clubs include Bungalow, Dragon-i and Volar. a mid-priced option would be drinking at a rooftop bar, like the rooftop of CE LA VIE

shopping -- Pacific Place in Admiralty. they also have a very nice AMC theater with a high-end Oval Office section. you can book it online for around $35. free concessions so not a terrible deal.

tourist attractions -- take Star Ferry from central piers to TST. worth seeing nathan road, sneaker/fish/flower markets, ladies market. there are a lot of watch shops around here, too.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 08:52 PM   #7
BravoOne
Banned

Just make sure you look the right way before you step off the curb!
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 09:20 PM   #8
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Awesome, Wes. Hong kong must be fantastic. Have a great trip my friend.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 09:38 PM   #9
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
There are a million places to see and go to in Hong Kong. You will have an amazing time. Recommend: Lily and Bloom, Zuma, Kyoto Joe's, Seva, Tapeo, Butchers Club, mak's noodle, wing Wah, Otto 8 1/2, Dragon I, The Pawn, Isola, must see the Jockey Club.
Old 12 February 2018, 09:43 PM   #10
MonBK
Banned

Have a wonderful trip Wes.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 12:43 AM   #11
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milov View Post
lunch at the Peninsula
One of my coworkers told me the same thing, but it looks like the Peninsula has a bunch of restaurants. Which one is “the one” to visit? Felix looks pretty cool because of the view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualcarb View Post
I’m sure Adam will chime in soon. I would recommend that you go over to Kowloon and take a walk around the ladies market. Take the subway (MTR) and go out on exit E2. Lots of food and electronic shops. Of course there are touristy stuff for you to buy, but I would just say, go soak in the local atmosphere and eat like a local. Some watch shops around Kwong Wah street for you to look at used timepieces. But the prices are kinda on the premium side.

Go back over to Tsim Sha Tsui via the MTR and go hang out on Knutsford terrace for food and drinks. Very friendly and easy going atmosphere where you can just kick back and take a breather. Just across the street Fromm knutsford is a building called champagne court where there are several watch shops for you to drool at. Loads of selections. And also around three shops selling nothing but watch straps.

I rarely venture over to HK island as I’m a Kowloon boy...I’ll let the island experts chime in. Have fun Wes...drop me a PM if you require further directions.

Cheers
Patrick
Awesome advice! I actually wanted to stay on the Kowloon side as I feel like it offers more of an authentic feel (I could be wrong...), but my boss who is from HK insisted that I stay on the island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
dim sum -- I like ding dim 1968, and also Yum Cha

cantonese cuisine -- prefer Man Wah at Mandarin Oriental (reservation needed)

nightlife -- check out Lan Kwai Fong and also Lockhart Road. You can get beers at 7 eleven, no need to actually buy full price drinks. If you're open to spending a lot, then good clubs include Bungalow, Dragon-i and Volar. a mid-priced option would be drinking at a rooftop bar, like the rooftop of CE LA VIE

shopping -- Pacific Place in Admiralty. they also have a very nice AMC theater with a high-end Oval Office section. you can book it online for around $35. free concessions so not a terrible deal.

tourist attractions -- take Star Ferry from central piers to TST. worth seeing nathan road, sneaker/fish/flower markets, ladies market. there are a lot of watch shops around here, too.
Thanks for the tips, Steve!
Old 13 February 2018, 12:45 AM   #12
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Awesome, Wes. Hong kong must be fantastic. Have a great trip my friend.
Thanks buddy. HK has been on my list for a long time so I’m happy that I’m finally able to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker View Post
There are a million places to see and go to in Hong Kong. You will have an amazing time. Recommend: Lily and Bloom, Zuma, Kyoto Joe's, Seva, Tapeo, Butchers Club, mak's noodle, wing Wah, Otto 8 1/2, Dragon I, The Pawn, Isola, must see the Jockey Club.
Thanks for the recommendations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Have a wonderful trip Wes.
Thanks Mon!
Old 25 February 2018, 04:06 AM   #13
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Back from HK. Amazing city! I can't wait to go back.
Old 25 February 2018, 04:51 AM   #14
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Awesome buddy. Travelling is the best thing in the world.
Old 25 February 2018, 04:58 AM   #15
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Pictures?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 05:43 AM   #16
run23
"TRF" Member

Was just there for a layover and can recommend Yum Cha. Slightly different take on Dim Sum but worth it. Of course Tim Ho Wan is great and lives up to the hype for the most part. And I love the Temple Night Market for some good eats.

I almost bought an Explorer 1 in the HK airport— they had it on the trip there, but when I want to see it on the way back it may have been gone as I didn’t see it. But I didn’t ask if they still had it as the sales person was incredibly annoying — she literally followed me around- upstairs and downstairs- about 6 inches from me the entire time as I was trying to casually look at watches so I didn’t want to stay. Not sure if it is their training, or if I looked like the kind of person that would rob an airport watch store.

I’m an American and need my space!
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 05:44 AM   #17
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Awesome buddy. Travelling is the best thing in the world.
It sure is! I love to travel and feel very lucky to have been able to travel a bit over the past 6 months (NYC, Yerevan Armenia, Tbilisi Georgia, Hong Kong, Macau).

Are you back from your trip to NYC? How was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Pictures?
I still need to filter through all of my pictures, but I'll be sure to post some shortly.
Old 25 February 2018, 05:47 AM   #18
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium8 View Post
Din Tai Fung.

J/k!

So we actually ended up at a Din Tai Fung one day LOL! After walking around all morning, my friend and I were really hungry and a lot of places seemed to be closed due to CNY. I saw that there was a Din Tai Fung right around the corner and I said screw it! You can never go wrong with their pork chop fried rice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by run23 View Post
Was just there for a layover and can recommend Yum Cha. Slightly different take on Dim Sum but worth it. Of course Tim Ho Wan is great and lives up to the hype for the most part. And I love the Temple Night Market for some good eats.

I almost bought an Explorer 1 in the HK airport— they had it on the trip there, but when I want to see it on the way back it may have been gone as I didn’t see it. But I didn’t ask if they still had it as the sales person was incredibly annoying — she literally followed me around- upstairs and downstairs- about 6 inches from me the entire time as I was trying to casually look at watches so I didn’t want to stay. Not sure if it is their training, or if I looked like the kind of person that would rob an airport watch store.

My boss is from HK and recommended Tim Ho Wan. I didn't like it!
Old 25 February 2018, 05:49 AM   #19
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Also, people aren't joking about the amount of Rolex watches in HK. Everybody wears Rolex. From taxi drivers to hotel workers... Even the lady at the immigration booth was wearing a 116710!

I also saw about 3-4 RMs in the wild. Sure, some may have been fake (maybe all), but I'll assume they were real.
Old 25 February 2018, 05:50 AM   #20
run23
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My boss is from HK and recommended Tim Ho Wan. I didn't like it!

Hah. They are getting so famous that it’s possible their quality control has gone down.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 05:54 AM   #21
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It sure is! I love to travel and feel very lucky to have been able to travel a bit over the past 6 months (NYC, Yerevan Armenia, Tbilisi Georgia, Hong Kong, Macau).

Are you back from your trip to NYC? How was it?
It was wonderful as always my friend. We're already planning the next visit and I feel really blessed for that. Glad that you were able to visit so many great places these past months. You're a lucky guy indeed!
Old 25 February 2018, 10:26 AM   #22
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
So we actually ended up at a Din Tai Fung one day LOL! After walking around all morning, my friend and I were really hungry and a lot of places seemed to be closed due to CNY. I saw that there was a Din Tai Fung right around the corner and I said screw it! You can never go wrong with their pork chop fried rice.
Hahaha! That's awesome. I mean, it's not like you don't have three within a few miles of.you. I think I've eaten there 4 times in the last three weeks.
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 01:14 PM   #23
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
wes, i'd be surprised if Adam hasn't pm'd you yet.

have fun.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:09 PM   #24
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

A few pictures. Please excuse my poor photos!

A view of Kowloon:

Hong Kong at night:

Hong Kong General Post Office:

Streets of Mong Kok:

Streets of Mong Kok cont.:

Soccer field in Mong Kok:

Old 25 February 2018, 04:10 PM   #25
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was wonderful as always my friend. We're already planning the next visit and I feel really blessed for that. Glad that you were able to visit so many great places these past months. You're a lucky guy indeed!
Awesome! NYC is a great place. I can't wait to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
wes, i'd be surprised if Adam hasn't pm'd you yet.

have fun.
Thanks, I had a great time.
Old 25 February 2018, 11:36 PM   #26
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Very cool pics Wes.

Quote:
A few pictures. Please excuse my poor photos!

A view of Kowloon:

Hong Kong at night:

Hong Kong General Post Office:

Streets of Mong Kok:

Streets of Mong Kok cont.:

Soccer field in Mong Kok:

Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 02:33 AM   #27
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by run23 View Post
But I didn’t ask if they still had it as the sales person was incredibly annoying — she literally followed me around- upstairs and downstairs- about 6 inches from me the entire time as I was trying to casually look at watches so I didn’t want to stay. Not sure if it is their training, or if I looked like the kind of person that would rob an airport watch store.

It's a Chinese habit. Very annoying for all westerners. Chinese customers want to feel they have a "servant" to follow them like a slave, ready to execute any of their request. If the saleswoman leaves the customer, the customer might feel offended as being treated below his customer status and might complain. That's why. But you can always tell her to leave you looking around alone, no need to follow. They generally understand (though still walk 75cm instead of 50cm behind you... in case her boss is checking).

I'm surprised nobody recommended Kimberley Street for second hand watch market and accessories.... Several shops from the road to inside a building floor full of jaw dropping stuff for a watch hunter (mostly Rolex, Panerai and other top brands)
Chrislec is offline   Reply With Quote