The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 February 2018, 01:33 AM   #1
jackcarls0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: D'tona,BLNR,Bronze
An AD setup by TRF!

Some ADs are really good and some are really bad. There are some in between.

Given the demand for certain models watches, the AD requires you to be on a list, or has unwritten terms and conditions, or play games, some lie and some want you to build a relationship or just spend a lot of $$! There are other shenanigans.

What would be the ideal AD policies for sale?

What if TRF members can setup an AD and sell watches to TRF members? What kind of terms and conditions for sales would you want? Or what kind of features would you all want from such ab AD?

First come first serve? Transparent list? Online sales (though highly unlikely)? Buy only at list price or discount on all of them?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
jackcarls0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 02:54 AM   #2
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Here's a what if for you.

What if you had to shell out 1.5 million for inventory...on top of spending 200+k to set up your boutique? And pay employees?

And...feed your family?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 02:59 AM   #3
Peter11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post

What if you had to shell out 1.5 million for inventory...on top of spending 200+k to set up your boutique? And pay employees?

And...feed your family?
Are they going to break legs or cut off fingers if I dont comply?
Peter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:03 AM   #4
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
I wonder if “first come first serve” would turn this AD into something similar to Black Friday shopping in the USA.

There might be people camping outside this AD in tents the day that it is rumored for a new model to be released.
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:03 AM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcarls0n View Post

Given the demand for certain models watches, the AD requires you to be on a list, or has unwritten terms and conditions, or play games, some lie and some want you to build a relationship or just spend a lot of $$! There are other shenanigans.

What if TRF members can setup an AD and sell watches to TRF members? What kind of terms and conditions for sales would you want? Or what kind of features would you all want from such ab AD?

First come first serve? Transparent list? Online sales (though highly unlikely)? Buy only at list price or discount on all of them?

Transparent lists, thats what i would want. Although its totally understandable that better clients get preference, they just need to make that unwritten rule clear to everyone because some people don't know how it works. IMO a first time customer shouldn't be on any waitlist. Many AD's dont allow it anyway.

No need to tell everyone they are next up when they are not. Just be honest about the whole process.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:04 AM   #6
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
What do you mean by a “transparent list”?
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:09 AM   #7
wytrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
I would try and make everything as transparent as possible. Try to bundle in store. Try to show all customers that moving SS of which you never get enough is the easy part but thats not enough to keep the business alive. Moving the rest is where it starts to get interesting. Every idiot and his grandmother expects a discount. Still I would try to be as transparent as possible to show where my incentives align with those of the buyer. Instead of giving a discount the first watch you buy I would give you a rolling discount on your next purchase, So you buy for 10k now and you get x% of that of your next spend. Then on lists...

1. Spend 50k+ on a watch you get on the SS Daytona/SS Sky-dweller list.
2. Spend 25k+ get on the hulk, blnr, JC list.
3. Spend 10k+ in 2017 you get on the Baselworld release list 2018.

Lists stay short move fast.
126610LV
wytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:47 AM   #8
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytrader View Post
I would try and make everything as transparent as possible. Try to bundle in store. Try to show all customers that moving SS of which you never get enough is the easy part but thats not enough to keep the business alive. Moving the rest is where it starts to get interesting. Every idiot and his grandmother expects a discount. Still I would try to be as transparent as possible to show where my incentives align with those of the buyer. Instead of giving a discount the first watch you buy I would give you a rolling discount on your next purchase, So you buy for 10k now and you get x% of that of your next spend. Then on lists...

1. Spend 50k+ on a watch you get on the SS Daytona/SS Sky-dweller list.
2. Spend 25k+ get on the hulk, blnr, JC list.
3. Spend 10k+ in 2017 you get on the Baselworld release list 2018.

Lists stay short move fast.
But $50K is not hard to spend at an AD for some people. It could be one watch - then someone else could buy 4-6 watches to reach $50K. With that said - who is the better customer?

You could have 20+ people who fall in to that range each year. What if the AD does not receive 20+ Daytona's or SkyD's each year from Rolex? The list would continue to grow like it does now.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:49 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Post count, I say, a thousand times, post count!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:53 AM   #10
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Post count, I say, a thousand times, post count!
are you in the top 10 yet? Its got to be getting close.

Edit: you are officially #2 active member (non mod) and #4 overall active member.... mod promotion is next.
Old 25 February 2018, 03:53 AM   #11
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter11 View Post
Nah. They just yank your dealership and no
more watches for you!
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 03:55 AM   #12
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
OP: Bad idea. Well-intentioned but not feasible. Either buy from an AD or a Trusted Seller.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:01 AM   #13
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
What is quite clear from the responses is that it would still result in an AD that made most people frustrated
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:01 AM   #14
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter11 View Post
No...they're just going to yank your AD status. That's all.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:09 AM   #15
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

For Rolex watches, I window shop at AD's
TRF, Trusted Resellers I buy from.
Less hassle all around. You don't have to play the "relationship" game with the AD.
Your AD is in love with you.......until you walk out the door.......next!
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:12 AM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
What is quite clear from the responses is that it would still result in an AD that made most people frustrated
i agree. Market pricing like a commodity... gold, oil, corn, whatever is the only way to make purchases at AD's without excessive waits. i would prefer that to games, using secondary dealers, and waitlists.

The brands/AD's might as well capitalize on the going rate for their own watches. Over retail and under retail ones at grey dealers are still at a profit to the secondary dealer selling them. AD's might as well eliminate the middle man and do it themselves.
Old 25 February 2018, 04:28 AM   #17
Seekthefinest
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I would have real problem if an AD told me that I could only get a SS model (Daytona, etc.) if I purchased $50k of other watches. Granted I understand that happens, but than it makes that specific model only attainable to serious collectors or gray market dealers who have money to spend.

I was lucky to get a Daytona after a short wait (2 weeks), but never understood before reading these forums how difficult it was to actually get. I just thought I would wait 6-12 months for one to come in, not knowing that there was actually a waiting list 20+ people long and if I didn't buy at the time the watch was offered, I could be looking at 2019 or beyond to get another one. My AD didn't even know when the watch coming in. Just said it showed up in their latest shipment. This is probably my one Rolex purchase for at least the time being, so I will enjoy the fact that so many other are wanting what I was lucky enough to get.
Seekthefinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:52 AM   #18
meganfox17
Banned

I don't know about the rest of the world but Sorry ,I've got much better things to do in my life and since I'm a young workaholic, I can afford the premium prices
I signed up to learn and discussed about watches, not at all interested in the Newbie's impractical unachievable wishful thinking AD ideas. I prefer to do my business transactions in a non transparent confidential way, efficiently and quietly with trusted Professional Sellers without letting the whole world know how many times I visit the little girls' room in a day
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 06:55 AM   #19
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Like the OP said: some ADs are good at handling these difficult market conditions. I think the answer to the original question is already evident in the observed behavior of those ADs who are managing through this with fair, ethical, transparent policies.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 06:56 AM   #20
mdgrwl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Dealer
Rolex makes a lot of the rules.
mdgrwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 07:01 AM   #21
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:

And...feed your family?
x2!!!

Ah yes, the cold reality that AD's can't just put up a shoestring operation. And the 200+ may well be low.
Old 25 February 2018, 07:16 AM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

And...feed your family?
When you put it that way Larry ...
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 07:55 AM   #23
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

People seem to always want, expect, or demand that other businesses will transact or act in a way that their own does not, i.e. unreasonably high ethics or absolute morality, and overly reasonable and lowest possible profit margins. I appreciate the gist and the well-intentioned focus that the OP is striving for here, but Rolex at the moment in its field is the equivalent of Amazon and other high-flying plays that some accuse of being monopolies. No doubt Rolex will brutally cull the herd of its ADs with sales practices issues that don't benefit Rolex or reflect poorly on it, when, and as, they want. Rolex is very much large and in charge of their brand, to a greater extent than many larger and well know businesses.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 08:55 AM   #24
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcarls0n View Post

I’m all for that! You set the AD and the first rule is to feed me with all the watches I want once they come to you!
Old 25 February 2018, 09:52 AM   #25
damoore
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060,SD, Pelagos
I’m fortunate to have a fantastic local AD. I’ve purchased a handful of watches incl SD4, Exp I MK II, SubC ND and 4 or 5 other similar type watches. I’m always treated well, typically receive 15+% discount and I have the satisfaction that if there are any issues they are dealt with quickly. I’ve been on the hunt for my second Tudor (have a two liner Pelagos). I called my salesman today and he has the watch and was able to provide me with a more than satisfactory discount. I’ll be in the city Tuesday to pick up. I’m finally making the jump in the BB genre. The Black Bay Blue ticks all the boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
damoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 11:36 AM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
are you in the top 10 yet? Its got to be getting close.

Edit: you are officially #2 active member (non mod) and #4 overall active member.... mod promotion is next.
No way, that's far too grown up, I just want a discount is all, I'll even stop badmouthing ADs and everything.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 01:19 PM   #27
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
There is not a good answer to this problem. Earned empowerment is the easiest. The more you spend the farther you go up the list. Assuming all margins are close to the same.

I have bought and sold a lot of watches at my AD. But the dollars that I have spent are negligent compared to several of their other watch clients. If one of them wants a SS Daytona and I want one they should get one before me.

Good thing for me is I have told them repeatedly to not sell me a SS Daytona or BLNR or Hulk unless o seem reformed. Because I don’t like any of them and would flip them for a profit and probably make them look bad in the process. Sell them to someone that loves them.

Now a blue or black dial SS SkyD. I would take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 02:25 PM   #28
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Isn’t the Classified section better than an AD?
Show me an AD with all the BNIB hard to get pieces - and that’s just Rolex...

What AD has PP, AP, Omega, RM and all the rest under one umbrella?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 08:19 PM   #29
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Thanks but I think I will just stick with my AD who I have worked with for so many years and who always gets me every single watch I want and rather quickly. So for me I chose to build a great long term relationship with someone and it has paid off and still does.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 10:36 PM   #30
GFONG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange / Rolex
Just wondering how much money the OP spend on the watch?
GFONG is offline   Reply With Quote