The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 July 2017, 05:33 PM   #31
Winnie Bloo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the GBP fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
That doesn't make any sense. The UK wouldn't care what brand it is. They just want their VAT.

I am guessing that for those traveling in the EU the store simply discounts the watch price equivalent to the amount of the VAT. So you would still be paying VAT, just on a discounted watch. I believe I have read here that Amsterdam Schipol Airport Rolex also does that for EU resident.

Nope no need to guess...it's a FACT.

However it is ONLY Rolex who insist that a EU resident must leave The EU before
it is VAT free.

Rolex do not allow the stores at Heathrow to "discount".

Amsterdam is totally different and why, before the GBP fell I was planning a trip
to Schipol Airport myself.....however as you are unable to guarantee what they have....not worth a special trip unless you are actually passing through.
Although they are most helpful when emailing, but still do not reserve.
Winnie Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 06:38 PM   #32
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
In fact the way I was told it works is

Flying out of the EU qualifies for VAT free so hence the VAT free price

Flying within the EU does not qualify for VAT free so certain brands decided to just go with the one price so in this situation it's actullay discounted equal to VAT (I believe at some point Rolex decided to not carry on with this so have to prices depending on destination)

OP the main think to check for is if VAT is listed in the receipt if it is great as a Uk resident you can fly back with no issues if VAT is not listed then legally the watch should be declared on your return.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 07:02 PM   #33
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Congratulations.

Timing

Is

Everything

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 07:08 PM   #34
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
In fact the way I was told it works is

Flying out of the EU qualifies for VAT free so hence the VAT free price

Flying within the EU does not qualify for VAT free so certain brands decided to just go with the one price so in this situation it's actullay discounted equal to VAT (I believe at some point Rolex decided to not carry on with this so have to prices depending on destination)

OP the main think to check for is if VAT is listed in the receipt if it is great as a Uk resident you can fly back with no issues if VAT is not listed then legally the watch should be declared on your return.
yep, it is how it works. Harrods at Heathrow however does not include any mention of VAT (either paid or unpaid) on the receipt. It only shows amount paid. However, it does say "Destination Zone: EU" on the receipt so even without it showing VAT you would be fine if customs checked as you paid what you were supposed to pay. If it said "outside euro zone" or something like that and they checked, they would know you were supposed to declare. I have made a few purchases this way. Bought at LHR flew to Brussels and flew back 30 minutes later w/o customs issues.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 07:30 PM   #35
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
yep, it is how it works. Harrods at Heathrow however does not include any mention of VAT (either paid or unpaid) on the receipt. It only shows amount paid. However, it does say "Destination Zone: EU" on the receipt so even without it showing VAT you would be fine if customs checked as you paid what you were supposed to pay. If it said "outside euro zone" or something like that and they checked, they would know you were supposed to declare. I have made a few purchases this way. Bought at LHR flew to Brussels and flew back 30 minutes later w/o customs issues.
Yep and Harrod's PS can arrange for certain models to be waiting at Heathrow for you
Old 8 July 2017, 07:39 PM   #36
d8mok
"TRF" Member

Im flying out of heathrow in 3 weeks for our honeymoon to Srilanka/maldives. So if i happened to come across a nice rolex/tudor i wanted i could buy it vat free and then simply return in 2 weeks with no hassle from customs?
d8mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 08:45 PM   #37
ChuckFinlay
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719BLRO
Quote:
That doesn't make any sense. The UK wouldn't care what brand it is. They just want their VAT.

I am guessing that for those traveling in the EU the store simply discounts the watch price equivalent to the amount of the VAT. So you would still be paying VAT, just on a discounted watch. I believe I have read here that Amsterdam Schipol Airport Rolex also does that for EU resident.
Point 4 of their FAQ, http://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/i/faqs

My guess is it's a Rolex policy, not HMRC.
ChuckFinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 08:47 PM   #38
ChuckFinlay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d8mok View Post
Im flying out of heathrow in 3 weeks for our honeymoon to Srilanka/maldives. So if i happened to come across a nice rolex/tudor i wanted i could buy it vat free and then simply return in 2 weeks with no hassle from customs?
Yes, it is not VAT free, it is discounted, they call it "tax free equivalent prices".

What you can't do is buy from the Maldives, not pay UK VAT, then return to the UK without declaring it.
Old 8 July 2017, 08:48 PM   #39
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d8mok View Post
If VAT is not on the receipt which I guess it won't be then legally it should be declared on your return and duties paid!

As above traveling in the EU gets you a discount equal to VAT free so hence you get the VAT free price while actually paying VAT.
Old 8 July 2017, 09:52 PM   #40
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 10:00 PM   #41
Grace
"TRF" Member

Love it!
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2017, 11:49 PM   #42
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Congrats
Old 9 July 2017, 01:00 AM   #43
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckFinlay View Post
Yes, it is not VAT free, it is discounted, they call it "tax free equivalent prices".
If he flies from UK to Sri Lanka then he WOULD BE getting the watch VAT free.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 01:02 AM   #44
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bought at LHR flew to Brussels and flew back 30 minutes later w/o customs issues.
You did this back when WOS used to give VAT tax free equivalent prices? Nice!
Old 9 July 2017, 01:18 AM   #45
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie Bloo View Post

However it is ONLY Rolex who insist that a EU resident must leave The EU before
it is VAT free.
No. It is Her Majesty who insists that anyone leaving from Heathrow must be departing the EU to be entitled to purchase an item without VAT included.

For those flying within the EU, the stores at Heathrow choose not to provide a VAT equivalent discount for Rolex while the VAT equivalent discount is available for other brands. Rolex does not make UK/EU tax policy.
Old 9 July 2017, 01:44 AM   #46
Winnie Bloo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the GBP fall.
Quote:
No. It is Her Majesty who insists that anyone leaving from Heathrow must be departing the EU to be entitled to purchase an item without VAT included.

For those flying within the EU, the stores at Heathrow choose not to provide a VAT equivalent discount for Rolex while the VAT equivalent discount is available for other brands. Rolex does not make UK/EU tax policy.

Yep, I probably totally misunderstood the information given to me every time I
visit Heathrow regarding ROLEX watches.

Please accept my sincerest apologies and thank you for explaining my home VAT system to me.

Just to clarify I did not say or suggest that Rolex make UK/EU tax policy.

I think post 13, and post 37 with the relevant link may help
Winnie Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2017, 04:19 AM   #47
ChuckFinlay
"TRF" Member

Quote:

For UK residents they are not VAT free, they are discounted watches.
Old 25 February 2018, 03:59 AM   #48
PA23-160
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the necropost but just adding an anecdote to the WOS Heathrow topic for the record.

I travel through Heathrow 4-6 times per year. Have stopped in at WOS each time, always looking for an Exp II (and in the last year also looking for a stainless Sky Dweller). Rarely seeing any stainless sports watches, actually found a polar Exp II earlier this month--bought the only one they had. Was en route to the US thus the price was $49xx out the door (I just asked "how much without VAT" and accepted the $49xx price). In and out ~15 minutes.

I'm no pro watch buyer or collector but I really wonder what price the new gray market watches sell for vs the asking price (of late I think $6200-6800 is the asking price for a new gray market polar Exp II).

FWIW: date of sale was February 2 and WOS gave me the option to have the plastic removed (which I elected yes)
PA23-160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:06 AM   #49
hulkalicious
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernybaby View Post
I read on this forum a few months ago that a member just walked into watches of Switzerland in Heathrow and managed to get a Submariner black ceramic steel. This incident just never happens at the airport with a tax free price.

I have called up previously on the day of the flight to see if the watch is there, and i have always been told that the stainless steel is hard to come by.

So i rock up at heathrow yeaterday afternoon, just about to get a late lunch in the bar a few shops down from WOS. I thought to myself don't bother even asking the salemen as its impossible they'll have one. Then an urge came over me to just walk in and enquire. Asked the nice man 'bit of a silly question...' and before i could even finish the sentence, they guy said 'your going to ask if we have the submariner..... we just got one of each date/non date in 10 minutes ago'.

20 minutes later i walked out with a shiney brand new Sub date, £1k cheaper than the RRP!!! So chuffed!
haha i wander in there every time i go through and ask about SS while angling my hulk at him to get "we never get that in here"
hulkalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:40 AM   #50
Donnyal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
Quote:

What you can't do is buy from the Maldives, not pay UK VAT, then return to the UK without declaring it.
If you get rid if receipt how would they know you have bought it??? Might be worth it if discount is big enough
Donnyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 05:45 AM   #51
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Big congrats,,,
right place,,right time,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 05:47 AM   #52
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

incorrect. Its VAT free. Other brands offer tax free equivalent prices when flying within the EU, but outside the EU flights its VAT free so it depends on your destination. Its the same price, but how the tax is accounted for is different. Ex EU flights they are not really giving a discount in the same way as inside EU flights.

Rolex and Tudor are exempted from this in the UK airports. You can only buy VAT free and only if leaving the EU. Otherwise its full retail.
Old 25 February 2018, 05:53 AM   #53
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Well done. I acquired a GMT there exactly the same way at 19:30 on Christmas Eve a few years ago. It made a huge difference to my Xmas because I was just leaving the country for work until after the new year which I was none to chuffed about leaving the family at home.
GMT Aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 08:11 AM   #54
Heypacha
"TRF" Member

Watch: Great White
Similar thing happed to me two days ago. Had a free hour while on a bussiness trip so visited the only Rolex AD in town. They had one professional SS model in the display inside, a black GMT and none in the window. Tried it and casualy mentioned that was on a waiting list for a GMT BLNR in another store. The store owner hear me and brought a BLNR from the safe. Bought it on the spot. I was exiting the EU the same day so I got the full tax back.
The AD received the watches one or two days ago and they sold the last SS professional model in November.
Heypacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 08:19 AM   #55
Heartlandblaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Humble but mine!
It was meant to be!! Congratulations and wear it in excellent health!

Heartlandblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 12:50 AM   #56
ARTISAN
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
congrats............you should have brought both.
ARTISAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 06:10 AM   #57
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
incorrect. Its VAT free. Other brands offer tax free equivalent prices when flying within the EU, but outside the EU flights its VAT free so it depends on your destination. Its the same price, but how the tax is accounted for is different. Ex EU flights they are not really giving a discount in the same way as inside EU flights.

Rolex and Tudor are exempted from this in the UK airports. You can only buy VAT free and only if leaving the EU. Otherwise its full retail.
Sorry but don't quite get this. Are you saying that if a watch is bought outside EU or UK, say perhaps North America or the Maldives and then brought into the EU or UK, VAT is not payable. Perhaps I am getting you wrong here?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 06:15 AM   #58
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
Sorry but don't quite get this. Are you saying that if a watch is bought outside EU or UK, say perhaps North America or the Maldives and then brought into the EU or UK, VAT is not payable. Perhaps I am getting you wrong here?
if you buy a Rolex at heathrow and fly to brussels you pay full price you cant get tax free equivalent pricing on it at all. If you fly to the US you get VAT free pricing and have to declare it when bringing it back to the EU.

If you buy an Omega at heathrow and fly to brussels you get tax free equivalent pricing which is basically a discount and you dont have to declare anything since you never left the EU. If you fly to the US its VAT free and you have to declare it when bringing it back.

If you buy a watch anywhere outside the EU and fly to the UK you have to declare and pay import duty regardless if you got it tax free or not in the country of purchase.

Minus Rolex, if you live in the UK the best way to get airport pricing and not have any customs issues is to fly somewhere within the EU not outside. Doesn't work for Rolex here though.
Old 27 February 2018, 06:17 AM   #59
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Awesome luck, grats
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 06:32 AM   #60
SC11
Banned

Quote:
if you buy a Rolex at heathrow and fly to brussels you pay full price you cant get tax free equivalent pricing on it at all. If you fly to the US you get VAT free pricing and have to declare it when bringing it back to the EU.

If you buy an Omega at heathrow and fly to brussels you get tax free equivalent pricing which is basically a discount and you dont have to declare anything since you never left the EU. If you fly to the US its VAT free and you have to declare it when bringing it back.

If you buy a watch anywhere outside the EU and fly to the UK you have to declare and pay import duty regardless if you got it tax free or not in the country of purchase.

Minus Rolex, if you live in the UK the best way to get airport pricing and not have any customs issues is to fly somewhere within the EU not outside. Doesn't work for Rolex here though.
This is my understanding of it! The Rolex AD used to offer the tax free equivalent but that ceased some time back.

Worth noting Gassan at Schiphol still offer Rolex at tax free equivalent prices to inter EU travel.