The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 December 2017, 11:09 AM   #121
Brenngun
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I've only had a chance to jump in on this tread a couple of times but I wanted to chime in again. If you care to know how this has impacted my family please go back and read my posts.

Regardless of how anyone on this thread feels about recreational use can you please understand that cannabis has exhibited real medical benefits. The people who have been positively impacted by these benefits could care less about recreational use. When it comes to the way you think about this please don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Separate these 2 sides of the discussion.

There are currently many people with real chronic pain that have had no option but opioids. I don't think I need to go through that train wreck of a treatment. Right now I have no doubt that medicinal cannabis has saved my wife's life. Her life has completely turned around for the positive and she doesn't get high. I'll stop now because I'm getting a little emotional.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 12:09 PM   #122
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
So happy to hear this Rick.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 12:11 PM   #123
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
I've only had a chance to jump in on this tread a couple of times but I wanted to chime in again. If you care to know how this has impacted my family please go back and read my posts.

Regardless of how anyone on this thread feels about recreational use can you please understand that cannabis has exhibited real medical benefits. The people who have been positively impacted by these benefits could care less about recreational use. When it comes to the way you think about this please don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Separate these 2 sides of the discussion.

There are currently many people with real chronic pain that have had no option but opioids. I don't think I need to go through that train wreck of a treatment. Right now I have no doubt that medicinal cannabis has saved my wife's life. Her life has completely turned around for the positive and she doesn't get high. I'll stop now because I'm getting a little emotional.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 12:34 PM   #124
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:

These types of stories are very moving. It is a shame more people have not seen the good results firsthand themselves. Instead, they only think of Grateful Dead concerts when the words Marijuana/Cannabis and Hemp come up.

The reality is, we my be on the verge of refining multiple medicines that could treat a variety of debilitating conditions. I’m really happy for you and your wife.

On the recreational side, I’ve seen an immemse amount of product innovations from beverages/teas/energy shots, edibles, beauty products, etc. Not every product is meant to make people “high”, and with micro-dosing, controlling consumption is much easier than the 3 stoners in a VW bus fish bowl days that older folks associate Cannabis with. Guess it will just take more time to educate the general population.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 01:32 PM   #125
bing240sx
"TRF" Member

Nice thread.

I've made a few Daytonas off weed stocks this year. It's got me into the stock market and i'm completely addicted. It certainly is the gateway drug we were told.

The big mistake i made was selling off my WEED, ACB and APH in Oct when i thought it had run up and would dip again. They soon each doubled or more. I did however make a nice 30%+ return so it was not all bad.

My real growth has come from the mid-cap stocks that are chasing the values of the big ones you mention.

EMH - Emerald Health is my biggest holding now after nearly a 300% gain in the past couple months. I also did well on ATT yesterday and got two friends involved who did very well also.

FIRE - Supreme was my largest holding and i am up strong on it but it has not appreciated the way that EMH, ACB, WEED, APH and many others have. If it goes through the same increases that EMH has i shall enjoy many more daytonas.

My style now is to take several smaller positions in various companies that are tracking the larger ones. I have preferred buying the laggard stocks that havent increased to mirror the valuations of the others based on licenses, production capacity and expected revenues thereof.

My most recent buys were CMM, a chain of 18 medical cannnabis clinics that are recently cash flow positive. VFF, a large scale vegetable producer who with EMH is converting massive amounts of their grow operations to cannabis and who has the capability to do so in the US when it is fed legal. ATT which is an oil extraction company teamed with EMH on a testing lab business. Derivatives (oils etc.) are the higher margin products and there is another stock RTI who saw 400% gains last year with the same news releases as ATT and who are hooked up with ACB (RTI is)

for licensed producers the laggard plays right now are:

IMH - Invictus - waiting on sales license, hasnt returned to their ATH from earlier in the year.
MARI - Maricann - has a significant play in Germany that is supposed to come to fruition in Q1 2018. They are also not back to their ATH after some poor disclosure of incidents earlier in the year
HVST - Harvest One - has a Euro distribution company (Satipharm) and decent production capacity and based on some industry metrics is undervalued to an extent

EMC - Emblem is one that i am still down on. It IPO's around $4 and dropped. i tried to catch the falling knife at $2 but it's trading below now. These guys are run by the former pres of Purdue pharma who launched OxyContin. The owners have their own $$$ in it too but they have made mis-steps. I wont be selling my shares, i'll simply wait for them to catch up or be acquired at a premium.

Enjoy gents.

I also keep banks and commodities and pay attention to dividends but an informed investor with cannabis is going to do extremely well in 2018. If you follow how the laws are being released and communicated and then see how the markets respond it really does make for an engaging investment. It does all make sense in a really strange way.
bing240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 01:51 PM   #126
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post
Nice thread.

I've made a few Daytonas off weed stocks this year. It's got me into the stock market and i'm completely addicted. It certainly is the gateway drug we were told.

The big mistake i made was selling off my WEED, ACB and APH in Oct when i thought it had run up and would dip again. They soon each doubled or more. I did however make a nice 30%+ return so it was not all bad.

My real growth has come from the mid-cap stocks that are chasing the values of the big ones you mention.

EMH - Emerald Health is my biggest holding now after nearly a 300% gain in the past couple months. I also did well on ATT yesterday and got two friends involved who did very well also.

FIRE - Supreme was my largest holding and i am up strong on it but it has not appreciated the way that EMH, ACB, WEED, APH and many others have. If it goes through the same increases that EMH has i shall enjoy many more daytonas.

My style now is to take several smaller positions in various companies that are tracking the larger ones. I have preferred buying the laggard stocks that havent increased to mirror the valuations of the others based on licenses, production capacity and expected revenues thereof.

My most recent buys were CMM, a chain of 18 medical cannnabis clinics that are recently cash flow positive. VFF, a large scale vegetable producer who with EMH is converting massive amounts of their grow operations to cannabis and who has the capability to do so in the US when it is fed legal. ATT which is an oil extraction company teamed with EMH on a testing lab business. Derivatives (oils etc.) are the higher margin products and there is another stock RTI who saw 400% gains last year with the same news releases as ATT and who are hooked up with ACB (RTI is)

for licensed producers the laggard plays right now are:

IMH - Invictus - waiting on sales license, hasnt returned to their ATH from earlier in the year.
MARI - Maricann - has a significant play in Germany that is supposed to come to fruition in Q1 2018. They are also not back to their ATH after some poor disclosure of incidents earlier in the year
HVST - Harvest One - has a Euro distribution company (Satipharm) and decent production capacity and based on some industry metrics is undervalued to an extent

EMC - Emblem is one that i am still down on. It IPO's around $4 and dropped. i tried to catch the falling knife at $2 but it's trading below now. These guys are run by the former pres of Purdue pharma who launched OxyContin. The owners have their own $$$ in it too but they have made mis-steps. I wont be selling my shares, i'll simply wait for them to catch up or be acquired at a premium.

Enjoy gents.

I also keep banks and commodities and pay attention to dividends but an informed investor with cannabis is going to do extremely well in 2018. If you follow how the laws are being released and communicated and then see how the markets respond it really does make for an engaging investment. It does all make sense in a really strange way.
Hi Bing, Thanks for chiming in. I have not really look at those companies yet, but started doing some casual analysis of a few mid-Caps, but overall, I tend to believe the Top 4 are where I feel more comfortable right now since they have such immense access to capital and a giant headstart. Timing is of the essence in Canada. I think we are going to have a 12-18 month window to see some additional gains. My perspective is that there are about 4-5 major catalysts that could make them go parabolic come next Spring and Summer, but it is entirely possible that they could also overshoot their reasonable valuations beforehand, though. I am very heavily concentrated with Aphria which is either genius or insane. Thankfully, I’m already up 70%, so I’ve got a bit of a buffer to let them run, but eventually, will fade it at some point. I tend to watch a few companies extremely close, go very deep with them, choose a target price, and move on when it gets there. If my calculations and timing are right on the mark, I’ve been able to lock in strong profits, and later re-buy on deep dips. Works for me, but sometimes you can’t fight the market when things go south, so you must remain very nimble. Wishing you continued good karma.
Old 14 December 2017, 08:42 PM   #127
Ruiz
Banned

Don't trade. Buy and hold.
Ruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 09:03 PM   #128
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Right now I have no doubt that medicinal cannabis has saved my wife's life. Her life has completely turned around for the positive and she doesn't get high. I'll stop now because I'm getting a little emotional.
I’m fairly confident there’s not a person in the United States of America or even possibly the world that would argue against medical marijuana under the conditions you just described. I’m glad for your wife and your family.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 10:04 AM   #129
clock
Banned

Another side to buying cannabis stocks.
Skip to “Cannabis as a commodity” and then to stock market volatility.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_in_Canada

and

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...marijuana-boom
clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 12:51 AM   #130
SADDLE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
APHQF has been performing well. Thanks for the tip and very informative thread. I think things will only get better in 2018 once cannabis is legalized in California in January.
SADDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 02:22 AM   #131
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Update on Aphria’s performance...cannabis legalization is the global movement that is gaining more momentum by the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 04CF529E-3C19-4DD0-88E1-9A83A0A9C890.jpeg (152.4 KB, 201 views)
Old 27 December 2017, 09:49 AM   #132
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

I actually threw $200 in just for fun when it was $11.25 - it's all the cash I had idle in my trading account. Thanks for the fun ride almost 20% in a week. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 09:52 AM   #133
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Announced today that they are backing off of aspirations of the US market. It’s actually making the stock perform better.

They might very well come back to the US market at some point. But the CEO seems to really have his pulse on the beat of this industry.

This Marijuana Stock Is Waving Goodbye to the USA: Time to Buy -- or Sell?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 10:42 AM   #134
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Announced today that they are backing off of aspirations of the US market. It’s actually making the stock perform better.

They might very well come back to the US market at some point. But the CEO seems to really have his pulse on the beat of this industry.

This Marijuana Stock Is Waving Goodbye to the USA: Time to Buy -- or Sell?
The Toronto Stock Exchange started harping about any TSX-listed Canadian Cannabis Cos having direct ownership of any U.S. assets when Cannabis is still U.S. federally illegal way back in October. This is not a new issue as Aphria has been working with the TSX to find an acceptable solution to not be in conflict with TSX rules on U.S. Federal Cannabis Legality rules.

The most likely solution will be to place their U.S. assets into their 38% owned, Liberty Health Sciences company, which is not listed on the TSX. That gives them indirect ownership, but not direct ownership. The beauty is that they will still have a stake in the U.S. (Florida, Arizona, and soon Ohio).

Kind of a best of both worlds solution to remain in compliance of TSX listing rules but not giving up U.S. participation.

All the top Canadian Cannabis companies were up today, but likely because of light volume (lack of sellers) as the Canadian markets were closed for Boxing Day. I’m betting Aphria and the others will give some of the gains back tomorrow, but you never know.
Old 27 December 2017, 12:38 PM   #135
bing240sx
"TRF" Member

pretty much every weed stock was up big today. of the 30 or so i track everything was up between 3% and 25% and 6 of the top 10 are in my portfolio.

the LARE ETF has switched over to weed today as well and they released their holdings yesterday: http://www.mjxetf.com/fund/#quarter

Cronos (MJN / PRMCF) was their top pick and is likely going to out-perform APH in 2018. They have better international exposure than APH and have not run up nearly as much as APH in 2017. I hold a bit, will try and grab a bit more but i'm not willing to divest from everything else. APH was left out of the ETF entirely which was quite a surprise actually.

The whole APH / TSX delisting fiasco is overblown. Cannimed and a variety of other majors have US holdings as well. It's just that APH is higher profile and being picked on and poked by WEED at every chance.

For anyone thinking of getting in... i would recommend making sure you carve out your holdings in anticipation of descheduling or US fed legalization. a few grand left sitting quietly could be a great decision.
bing240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2017, 11:47 PM   #136
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post
pretty much every weed stock was up big today. of the 30 or so i track everything was up between 3% and 25% and 6 of the top 10 are in my portfolio.

the LARE ETF has switched over to weed today as well and they released their holdings yesterday: http://www.mjxetf.com/fund/#quarter

Cronos (MJN / PRMCF) was their top pick and is likely going to out-perform APH in 2018. They have better international exposure than APH and have not run up nearly as much as APH in 2017. I hold a bit, will try and grab a bit more but i'm not willing to divest from everything else. APH was left out of the ETF entirely which was quite a surprise actually.

The whole APH / TSX delisting fiasco is overblown. Cannimed and a variety of other majors have US holdings as well. It's just that APH is higher profile and being picked on and poked by WEED at every chance.

For anyone thinking of getting in... i would recommend making sure you carve out your holdings in anticipation of descheduling or US fed legalization. a few grand left sitting quietly could be a great decision.
Cronos, among lots of other Cannabis Cos, is interesting, but one can’t own every single company. Regarding Cronos vs Aphria, Cronos is years behind Aphria both is building scale of production capacity and arranging financing to expand. Hell, they barely sold $1MM of product last quarter, a fraction of Aphria’s sales. There are a lot of companies that will benefit to some degree early on...IF...they have enough production capacity before there is a glut of production capacity coming online by late 2019-early 2020. At that point, capacity will catch up with demand and margins will start getting squeezed eventually when price controls are removed.
Old 27 December 2017, 11:53 PM   #137
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorliss View Post
Update on Aphria’s performance...cannabis legalization is the global movement that is gaining more momentum by the day.
Yes I agree and thank you for the tip. Bought some more and will buy some more soon. My best performing stock ever.

I think Cannabis stocks right now are like what tobacco and alcohol stocks were in their infancy.

The legalization genie is out of the bottle. Its on. Go Canada!
Old 28 December 2017, 01:20 AM   #138
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Yes I agree and thank you for the tip. Bought some more and will buy some more soon. My best performing stock ever.

I think Cannabis stocks right now are like what tobacco and alcohol stocks were in their infancy.

The legalization genie is out of the bottle. Its on. Go Canada!
you are making me think about buying more!!!

Old 28 December 2017, 04:04 AM   #139
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you are making me think about buying more!!!
The momentum is definitely favoring this industry and the top companies right now. I fully expect it to build further from here through July 2018. At some point, since I am SO overweighted in the space, around late-Summer, I will probably scale back half my holdings, and look for other atttactive valuations within the industry. Overall, for a buy and hold investor, it is a 2-3 year holding to begin with.
Old 28 December 2017, 04:59 AM   #140
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
The momentum is definitely favoring this industry and the top companies right now. I fully expect it to build further from here through July 2018. At some point, since I am SO overweighted in the space, around late-Summer, I will probably scale back half my holdings, and look for other atttactive valuations within the industry. Overall, for a buy and hold investor, it is a 2-3 year holding to begin with.
Other than Aphria what would be your second pick to buy right now in this industry?
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 05:16 AM   #141
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Other than Aphria what would be your second pick to buy right now in this industry?
Love Canopy Growth but the relative valuation is just too high for my comfort level, but with that said, I’m fairly certain it will go even higher between now and July 2018.

Some people like Aurora, but I prefer Aphria. It is more focused, much better run, more profitable, and has much lower costs. It should be trading 50% higher than it currently...and will be over the coming months.

Lots of Cannabis companies out there to buy, but considering I go very heavy into the space, I feel more comfortable with the larger companies. Like any hot new space, you’re gonna have a huge delta in quality of operations, strategy, access to capital, and management.

Lastly, in full disclosure, I’ve owned both Canopy and Aurora prior to my current Aphria position. Relative valuation is the key for me.
Old 28 December 2017, 03:02 PM   #142
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Publicly-traded Cannabis Industry Companies

I think most will jump up. What we really need is a nod from the federal government. I don't really know if they want that fight.

There really is a lot of nice results from extracting certain natural chemicals from Cannabis. I've been shocked how good CBD is, it's a schedule 2 by prescription only in most states that have medical availability, 113 active cannabinoids and this is 1 of best of them.

Old 28 December 2017, 04:02 PM   #143
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
...CBD (cannabidiol) is the main non-psychoactive chemical compound in cannabis which is reported and confirmed to alleviate the symptoms of many medical and psychological ailments.
^^^^There's big money to be made from both sides of the coin. The recreational users will going for higher THC % (kind of like liquor proof) while the majority of medicinal patients will be focused more towards the CBD content.

Smoking high CBD/low THC cannabis is not a very enjoyable experience and usually a sign of lousy pot from the recreational standpoint/perspective. Left to grow on its own un-hybridized, cannabis gradually loses its THC content and eventually becomes hemp which has many industrial uses (i.e. fabric, rope etc.) due to the natural coarseness of its fiber.

That said. It's an area where pharmaceutical, liquor and tobacco companies (along with their investors) can all profit big time. Perhaps cannabis is the 21st century 'gold rush'.

There will be other lucrative growth opportunities as well (e.g. organizing various co-ops, lobbying, lab analysis, R&D, advertising, and market research etc.).

As a promising growth industry, it's a prime economic/vocational opportunity for the Millennial generation and perhaps their chance at balancing the wealth scale to a certain extent.

Time will tell as underground has now gone mainstream.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2017, 04:27 PM   #144
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Publicly-traded Cannabis Industry Companies

I'm strictly a pharmaceutical investor. I don't smoke it, I do eat a low THC gummie bear now and then to relax and use the CBD drops to help sleep. I think the slow growth will be in pharmacy use as it takes more time and government approval. The recreational trend will be like the wild west. Tons of money to be made

Old 28 December 2017, 06:18 PM   #145
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

So much growth potential. Surprisingly CBD oil is now legal and being sold in Japan. Couldn’t believe it. Zero THC though.

Times they are a changing..
Old 28 December 2017, 06:30 PM   #146
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

^^ This is great news for those who need it medically ^^
Runnin' Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 01:36 AM   #147
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

The momentum in the trend towards global cannabis legalization is immense. These stocks will keep grinding higher. Eventually, there will be a bubble of expectation as everyone chases the profits and causes some of the stock values to get ahead of themselves, but that may be a while as we are in the very early stages of the imminent hyper growth phase. It is an overweight allocation for those who can withstand higher than normal volatility and risk.
Old 29 December 2017, 01:45 AM   #148
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The momentum in the trend towards global cannabis legalization is immense. These stocks will keep grinding higher. Eventually, there will be a bubble of expectation as everyone chases the profits and causes some of the stock values to get ahead of themselves, but that may be a while as we are in the very early stages of the imminent hyper growth phase. It is an overweight allocation for those who can withstand higher than normal volatility and risk.
I am up 26% since I bought it.

Wish I bought more.

That whole hindsight thing....

Old 29 December 2017, 03:36 AM   #149
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am up 26% since I bought it.

Wish I bought more.

That whole hindsight thing....
I have a lot of shares and even I wish I had more...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5B24A44B-57E4-4876-95B4-D911E3B6BA35.jpeg (248.9 KB, 108 views)
Old 29 December 2017, 03:45 AM   #150
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
My cannabis portfolio is going crazy right now. 5%-8% gains all over the board per day this week.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote